Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Non Compos Mentis posted:

Would a day 1 switch with whatever the last firmware that came out before the splatoon oled be worth anything?

A Nintendo Switch model from the first year (roughly 12-13 million units or so) has a hardware-level Recovery Mode exploit that cannot be patched out.
So if you want to, you can update the thing and still do stuff like overclocking, homebrew, fan patches, Android tablet poo poo, or running pirated/backup software.

Note: you will be console banned almost immediately if you use publicly available roms and connect online

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Mar 16, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
Does overclocking significantly affect performance on games? Or are they pretty much locked info certain fps.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

External Organs posted:

Does overclocking significantly affect performance on games? Or are they pretty much locked info certain fps.

Depends on the game. It helps more in handheld mode (you can force it to perform like docked mode) but in my experience it heats up and makes me nervous and kills the battery (both in the immediate sense of the current charge and it makes me a bit nervous about what it does long term)

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

You don't remember it. You never asked for it. So here it is!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F-tOCfDFxhw

I know beat 'em ups are going through a renaissance and all, but what a deep cut! What's next, a Camp Candy town sim? Maybe Project GKR as an FPS? How about Ace Combat but with Swat Kats? I'd play that.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Waffle! posted:

I know beat 'em ups are going through a renaissance and all, but what a deep cut! What's next, a Camp Candy town sim? Maybe Project GKR as an FPS? How about Ace Combat but with Swat Kats? I'd play that.

I'm old enough to remember all of the Toxic Crusaders stuff from the 80s and 90s, and while this might end up being a great game, it is severely lacking in brand awareness.

poo poo, there are even a lot of kids today who aren't that familiar with TMNT; are they actually expecting anyone under 35 to know anything about this one?

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
lloyd kaufman needs money, and heck, so do i

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Capital Critters Fight Pundits -now with Rubik!

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Side pocket fucks.

Prurient Squid
Jul 21, 2008

Tiddy cat Buddha improving your day.

Upsidads posted:

Capital Critters Fight Pundits -now with Rubik!

Capital Critters. Isn't that the thing where all the protagonists family get murdered and he feels guilty because he does nothing. Then another mouse pushes him off a plane to punish him or something.

e:

Woah

Prurient Squid fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Mar 16, 2023

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Kart Barfunkel posted:

Side pocket fucks.

Lmao I just got my switch to find a billiards game to buy and behold!

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Man those An American Tail sequels got dark

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Prurient Squid posted:

Capital Critters. Isn't that the thing where all the protagonists family get murdered and he feels guilty because he does nothing. Then another mouse pushes him off a plane to punish him or something.

e:

Woah

Mister former President!

chaleski
Apr 25, 2014

Waffle! posted:

This feels like some people saw the new TMNT game did pretty well and went "poo poo we can do that"

BigDumper
Feb 15, 2008

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I'm old enough to remember all of the Toxic Crusaders stuff from the 80s and 90s, and while this might end up being a great game, it is severely lacking in brand awareness.

poo poo, there are even a lot of kids today who aren't that familiar with TMNT; are they actually expecting anyone under 35 to know anything about this one?

My guess is that they’re banking on millennial nostalgia to drive sales, any sales to the younger generations are just a bonus.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Oh man I have a launch Switch, didn't know it was worth anything. Tempted to sell it now since I just never play on it anymore. Only game I can think of I want it for is Years of the Kingdom... But the last several big switch games I played I was able to play fine or better than Switch on PC, sometimes before the Switch release. If I can just play Tears on PC then I probably don't need my Switch anymore.

Plus if I sell it Nintendo might suddenly announce a suite of new games for all the franchises they use to trick me into buying their hardware.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Nintendo asking me the hard hitting questions

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

I'm just a normal, functioning member of the human race, and there's no way anyone can prove otherwise.

hatty posted:

lmao what on earth is this?

they better not get rid of the pikmin death cries and ghosts

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.

Mister Facetious posted:

A Nintendo Switch model from the first year (roughly 12-13 million units or so) has a hardware-level Recovery Mode exploit that cannot be patched out.
So if you want to, you can update the thing and still do stuff like overclocking, homebrew, fan patches, Android tablet poo poo, or running pirated/backup software.

Note: you will be console banned almost immediately if you use publicly available roms and connect online

Would your Nintendo Account be banned, or just the console? Also, what's the recommended custom firmware to load on it? I found a few guides that mentioned a few

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I think Nintendo mostly only does console bans.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Willo567 posted:

Would your Nintendo Account be banned, or just the console? Also, what's the recommended custom firmware to load on it? I found a few guides that mentioned a few

It's atmosphere for everyone now. I held out on SXOS for too long and don't know why I bothered, it's way out of date now. Not sure there's any other big one

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
There's a metroid prime remastered pin set in the mynintendo store, 800 points:

https://www.nintendo.com/store/products/metroid-prime-remastered-big-pin-set/

I'm still pissed the god drat Dread pins never came to North America, but these are kind of cool

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Willo567 posted:

it's trivial to avoid being banned; standard practice is to partition things so you can launch into either stock firmware so playing standard nintendo multiplayer is fine, or the custom firmware to do other things that nintendo wouldn't approve of. you'll never get banned so long as you don't try to use hacked stuff on the regular partition.

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

I traded my launch switch for an OLED. Worth it for me because I don’t care about modding and I play alot in handheld mode and drat, the OLED screen is nice.

Also I’m playing Portal Companion atm and Cave Johnson is great. I forgot how good the writing is in this game (and the puzzles!).

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Finally got my Prime remastered physical and this is so loving good omg

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
ii never even played prime but dropped my millionth elden ring playthrough for it immediately

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Prime is one of the absolute goats

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Kinda sad the GBA version of Super Mario Bros 3 couldn't manage to pipe out the rumble function to the Switch controllers. I assume it's cause it's masquerading as a GBA so no output to be had from it or something.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Mario and Luigi sends out the rumble. It acts as if you are playing on the Game Boy Player for GameCube. But it is a setting you need to go a bit deep in a menu to get.

I never found the setting for Mario 3

Rocket Pan
Nov 3, 2011

Anything can be sent, as long as it's less than 1200 bytes

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Kinda sad the GBA version of Super Mario Bros 3 couldn't manage to pipe out the rumble function to the Switch controllers. I assume it's cause it's masquerading as a GBA so no output to be had from it or something.

In theory it could, but the emulator would need to be designed to simulate the hardware device that was used for it before, and then there's the Switch rumble itself which isn't a simple on/off function. It works more like a speaker that you play an effect through, in fact because of this we actually designed the rumble support in the Kex Engine games to work to the joycon specifications and then made our own HD rumble player for the more primitive rumble motors on other devices.

Edit: But it turns out it's already implemented according to the above poster. How about that. :v:

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

John Wick of Dogs posted:

Mario and Luigi sends out the rumble. It acts as if you are playing on the Game Boy Player for GameCube. But it is a setting you need to go a bit deep in a menu to get.

I never found the setting for Mario 3

Hit L or R on the game selection screen (the part where you choose between Mario 3 and Mario Bros) to get to the option menu. You can turn on rumble from there, it’s off by default.

Mario and Luigi is the same way, for anyone looking for it there. Open the option menu from the title screen to turn on rumble.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

WHY BONER NOW posted:

There's a metroid prime remastered pin set in the mynintendo store, 800 points:

https://www.nintendo.com/store/products/metroid-prime-remastered-big-pin-set/

I'm still pissed the god drat Dread pins never came to North America, but these are kind of cool

Im 40 points away from this, how do you get more ive never actually bothered with this before

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

mandatory lesbian posted:

Im 40 points away from this, how do you get more ive never actually bothered with this before
You have to find the missions page on the NSO app.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I'm not against rumble by any stretch, but who needs it for Super Mario Bros 3?

Tempura Wizard
Sep 15, 2006

spending all
spending
spending all my time

Neddy Seagoon posted:

It’s there OP you just need to turn it on.

Hoping this means we get Pokémon Pinball, Drill Dozer, or even WarioWare Twisted (aka the best WarioWare game)

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

mandatory lesbian posted:

Go here and do the platinum point ones.

https://my.nintendo.com/missions?lang=en-US

You also get points for logging into the site weekly. There's also 4 or 5 missions on the NSO tab on the switch itself. A few of them are weekly thing and there's usually a monthly one that is like "Play this retro game" or "Play this demo".

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug
I've got an unpatched Switch which got banned due to my homebrew and piracy fuckery.

I barely play it any more and am only holding onto it so I can play Tears of the Kingdom.

I'm sure it's been said a hundred times already, but I can't believe there hasn't been a significant hardware revision beyond the OLED screen. At least BotW looks pretty and runs far better in CEMU.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

gently caress yeah, my copy of Prime Remastered finally arrived. Time to finish what I didn't on the Wii.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Tempura Wizard posted:

It’s there OP you just need to turn it on.

Hoping this means we get Pokémon Pinball, Drill Dozer, or even WarioWare Twisted (aka the best WarioWare game)

I gave it a quick go with it enabled and didn't seem like it was responding on my Pro Controller, I'll play some more tomorrow and see how I go. Good to know if it is actually supposed to be working though.

BigDumper
Feb 15, 2008

hatty posted:

I’m playing Pikmin 2 right now and I hate the guilty feeling that comes when I lose a Pikmin. It’s usually because I’m an idiot and led them to their doom.

BigDumper fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Mar 17, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

hatty posted:

"Enough people said Neutral so now Pikmin will not only perish when hit, but may get injured and die slowly on the ground, wailing the whole time, also there is nothing you can do for them but watch."