Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".
Union contract designates 3 watches, 4 on 8 off, unless its an absolute emergency and you're down a man for some reason. Get out of here with all these trash schedules, the Navys got more than enough money and done more than enough research to know the importance of managing fatigue and rest hours.

Conclusions: managers with bad watch schedules are dum and hate you

ISM audits and my peers are always amazed my crew never has work hour violations. Its cause I'm competent enough to realize that extra hour of work isn't that big a deal especially if someone's already loving tired and will be waking up at some ungodly hour loving so I just knock them off an hour or two early and get a huge amount of leeway. loving dickheads this is basic management why are people always so loving stupid.

lightpole fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Mar 14, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

The Navy always finds a way to make things worse.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Madurai posted:

We did five-hour watches: 7-12,12-5, 5-10,10-3, and then one shorty at 3-7. I've never seen another command do it that way.

On my deployment on the Lincoln we did it almost exactly that way, except our short one was the 2200-0200, and we had the 2-7 instead of 3 to 7.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

lightpole posted:

Union contract designates 3 watches, 4 on 8 off, unless its an absolute emergency and you're down a man for some reason. Get out of here with all these trash schedules, the Navys got more than enough money and done more than enough research to know the importance of managing fatigue and rest hours.

The military would be a lot less stupid if they paid overtime.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

FrozenVent posted:

The military would be a lot less stupid if they paid overtime.

Wait, you guys don't get overtime?

We got pretty generous sea duty pay, and paid OT in port. I made more money as an enlisted one year than my old man made as a skipper.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

No idea, I was never in.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

FrozenVent posted:

No idea, I was never in.

Smart man. gently caress The Navy.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

If I got paid OT, just while in port, in the Navy I would be retired on my own personal island by now.

For awhile I was pulling 100 hour weeks, every week in port, in between underways.

gently caress I hate the loving Navy.

Also gently caress the VA, since I'm working through that whole process now.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

IncredibleIgloo posted:

On my deployment on the Lincoln we did it almost exactly that way, except our short one was the 2200-0200, and we had the 2-7 instead of 3 to 7.

4 section, 6 hours in CDC. Rotated once a week, got a Sunday off once a month.

That Sunday was a glorious day. There are worse places to have a daily watch than CDC.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Elviscat posted:

If I got paid OT, just while in port, in the Navy I would be retired on my own personal island by now.

For awhile I was pulling 100 hour weeks, every week in port, in between underways.

gently caress I hate the loving Navy.

Also gently caress the VA, since I'm working through that whole process now.

I feel like some even trivial amount like $10 per hour as “OT” over 12 hours a day service would go very far for making life less miserable. Would love to the reasons why we couldn’t pay our heroes more though.

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots

Crab Dad posted:

I feel like some even trivial amount like $10 per hour as “OT” over 12 hours a day service would go very far for making life less miserable. Would love to the reasons why we couldn’t pay our heroes more though.

Next thing you'll want unions and (looks at every First Class Association) oh yeah. Never mind.

I know they aren't a union but it was fun to watch them when I was asked to join and told them I didn't want to be in their Pre-Chief Union

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020
We did the math a couple times to determine that even with sea pay, nuke pay, being underway etc etc we were making less than minimum wage. gently caress the navy and gently caress Rickover, the geriatric dead gently caress.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

From every anecdote I've ever been told, Rickover can sit and spin over Satan's dick.

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!

Flyinglemur posted:

Next thing you'll want unions and (looks at every First Class Association) oh yeah. Never mind.

I know they aren't a union but it was fun to watch them when I was asked to join and told them I didn't want to be in their Pre-Chief Union

Are there commands where the FCPOA does things other than vote for JSOQ and run fundraisers for MWR and NMCRS?

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Crab Dad posted:

12 hours? Make it eight.

Anecdotally, in my experience captains and chief will move earth and moon to avoid paying OT. I had a guy stop a ship for an hour so he could send the day worker to lunch to avoid having to pay this guy a meal hour.

Saved $45 in OT.

Lost ~$2,200 in ship’s time and fuel.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

With all this business of the Aussies buying American nuke boats, does that mean there'll be exchange students going through the USN nuke training pipeline for a few years? At least until they get their own (equally traumatic) schools running?

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned

Cerekk posted:

Are there commands where the FCPOA does things other than vote for JSOQ and run fundraisers for MWR and NMCRS?

At mine they helped with Chiefs mess fundraisers

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Madurai posted:

With all this business of the Aussies buying American nuke boats, does that mean there'll be exchange students going through the USN nuke training pipeline for a few years? At least until they get their own (equally traumatic) schools running?

That is an interesting question for sure. They would probably have to have their own classes where they are treated more like people than objects though. Would be funny seeing them stamping a bunch of stuff NOFORN though.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
I could almost imagine the entire AUSN continuing to be solely NNPTC trained for the next 15-20 years. They won't have that many boats, nor that many experienced people, to maintain such a depth of training pipeline.

They'd have to find a hull to use as a prototype at least, and that would itself be 10 years out.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

IncredibleIgloo posted:

That is an interesting question for sure. They would probably have to have their own classes where they are treated more like people than objects though. Would be funny seeing them stamping a bunch of stuff NOFORN though.

So all Australian women crew run my male officers and chiefs?

Or did that stereotype of Aussie men treating their women poorly finally die out?

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

IncredibleIgloo posted:

The NOFORN requirements are waiverable, specifics are beyond my ken, but we had RN officers in one of the NNPTU classes I taught. Plus their reactor designs are still based on the S5Ws we licensed to Rolls Royce back in the day.

Sounds like Rolls is going to build the Aus reactors, and the US is mostly handing over coner poo poo, so I'd imagine the UK will be doing the nuclear power training. Which is probably a good thing, because the UK has a much better approach to how they treat and train nukes, i.e. they're treated like valuable professionals and not worthless enlisted scum that need to be babysat by officers 24/7.

Funny anecdote, on one deployment we had RN officers and SONAR guys onboard, and they weren't cleared for NOFORN under the atomic energy act, so they were allowed to see all the TS/SCI poo poo in control, but we weren't allowed to talk about nuclear power around them, lol. We'd start taking about stuff like the RO units being a pain or whatever after watch on crew's mess and they'd cover their ears and go "oh no I can't know about that!!!"

Evil SpongeBob
Dec 1, 2005

Not the other one, couldn't stand the other one. Nope nope nope. Here, enjoy this bird.
Don't worry, we have plenty of O-7s and up willing to "consult" on all that stuff for 10k a day.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/investigations/2023/03/07/former-top-us-admiral-cashes-nuclear-sub-deal-with-australia/

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

Crab Dad posted:

So all Australian women crew run my male officers and chiefs?

Or did that stereotype of Aussie men treating their women poorly finally die out?

After the last couple years I don't think there is any doubt that the US leads the western world in hating women

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Grip it and rip it posted:

After the last couple years I don't think there is any doubt that the US leads the western world in hating women

The USA and Yemen are the only two nations in the world that do not have at least guaranteed unpaid maternity leave.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.

Madurai posted:

Yes. They're already in class. The first batch of Aussies graduates in May.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

I, for one, salute Australia on their upcoming ridiculous and absurd waste of billions of dollars.

Based on how Australia's homegrown submarine program went, how the Agilent class program went, and the added difficulty of building a nuclear capable shipyard infrastructure, this might be a competitor for the largest waste of money ever.

E: I guess they're just going to buy a few VAs from us, then partner with the UK to build a whole new class? The first part of that might only be a minor financial disaster then.

Elviscat fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Mar 15, 2023

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
The fact is, they're just as worried about China as the rest of FVEYs (if not moreso considering their weaker position and closer proximity), and our sub fleet is basically the only thing they haven't managed to surpass/neutralize, yet.

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!
I wouldn't be super shocked if they change their minds about domestic production and decide to build them all in the UK long-term, but it would still be an overall win to have a healthier submarine-building industry in the UK. Right now the UK just doesn't build enough to keep everybody employed and proficient.

Also wouldn't be shocked if part of the arrangement about exporting Virginia is that UK shipbuilding is going to do some work on Columbia after they finish Dreadnought.

Cerekk fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Mar 15, 2023

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Cerekk posted:

I wouldn't be super shocked if they change their minds about domestic production and decide to build them all in the UK long-term, but it would still be an overall win to have a healthier submarine-building industry in the UK. Right now the UK just doesn't build enough to keep everybody employed and proficient.

Also wouldn't be shocked if part of the arrangement about exporting Virginia is that UK shipbuilding is going to do some work on Columbia after they finish Dreadnought.

I had to do a quick search because the phrase "finish dreadnought" was seriously loving with my head.

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia

A.o.D. posted:

I had to do a quick search because the phrase "finish dreadnought" was seriously loving with my head.

Just imagine a giant floating Nokia phone with guns, it's be unstoppable.

bennyfactor
Nov 21, 2008

Jimmy4400nav posted:

Just imagine a giant floating Nokia phone with guns, it's be unstoppable.

before every announcement on the PA system it plays the ringtone.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
I have finally managed to escape the Nimitz, and got my first COD flight as well. :toot:

Heading back to Norfolk for my next tour, and it feels like I just left. Hopefully at least three years before I have to set foot on a carrier again.

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

The only time i was ever on a carrier it was for a tour my cub scout pack was given. It happened to be the ship my dad was on at the time, USS Ranger. Must have been around 6 months before she went through decommissioning.

As the last (iirc) non-nuclear aircraft carrier in service, Ranger was considerably smaller than modern carriers. Even so it seemed unimaginably vast to me as a little kid.

When i enlisted, that tour / lunch was what convinced me to choose the smallest boat i could manage to find a billet on. Carriers seem like a nightmare.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

titties posted:

As the last (iirc) non-nuclear aircraft carrier in service, Ranger…

This is Kittyhawk erasure.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

titties posted:

The only time i was ever on a carrier it was for a tour my cub scout pack was given. It happened to be the ship my dad was on at the time, USS Ranger. Must have been around 6 months before she went through decommissioning.

As the last (iirc) non-nuclear aircraft carrier in service, Ranger was considerably smaller than modern carriers. Even so it seemed unimaginably vast to me as a little kid.

When i enlisted, that tour / lunch was what convinced me to choose the smallest boat i could manage to find a billet on. Carriers seem like a nightmare.

I got lost on the constellation at age 16 when I was taking a tour as a sea scout and a chief bawled us out thinking we were lollygagging junior sailors because we were dressed the same back in 1993.

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

Mr. Nice! posted:

Oops, i hope the uss kittyhawk accepts my sincere apology

Crab Dad posted:

I got lost on the constellation at age 16 when I was taking a tour as a sea scout and a chief bawled us out thinking we were lollygagging junior sailors because we were dressed the same back in 1993.

One time I saluted a mortified Sea Cadet. He was really respectful, addressed me as "petty officer", and told me he was just a Cadet.

All i saw was khakis and gold insignia. Why do they dress them like that lol

E: what is a sea scout?

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Mr. Nice! posted:

Please use her formal name of lovely Kitty anything else is disrespectful.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

titties posted:

One time I saluted a mortified Sea Cadet. He was really respectful, addressed me as "petty officer", and told me he was just a Cadet.

Its like make believe JROTC or some poo poo, boy scouts but on boats. I know some of them went on some of the state academy cruises with us and they stayed on the training ship when it was at the dock. One of my cadets in undergrad started off there and is now Cheng on an LHA or something out of San Diego.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

titties posted:

Sea Scouts and Explorers are 100% Boy Scouts with boats and it’s nothing like JROTC except they do practice drill for competitions. Otherwise it’s mostly safety on the water and boat handling. The program I was a part of is still running and had an old army T-boat (65ft diesel lighter) but other programs did even larger craft or specialized in small sailboats and kayaks. It’s much more coast guard affiliated than navy from my experience. Anyways I took part for nearly ten years and met my wife in the program.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Elviscat posted:

Please use her formal name of lovely Kitty anything else is disrespectful.

Despite being old and broken down all the time that thing was still fast when we did exercises with her.