Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

The game on Steam is still the same game from 2007 or whenever the last patch was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Ornery and Hornery posted:

so if I get oblivion on steam, what do I need to do to make the game not poo poo?

Can't. I try every year and it always ends in failure.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
I had fun a couple of years ago with a pretty bare bones mod list. Just Maskar's, Oscuro's and Oblivion XP. Played a Two-handed swordsmen without magic that collected a bunch of holy artifacts for a quest for Maskar's, became a vampire, cured my vampirism, found a sword that gets stronger for how many vampires you kill, purged all the vampires from Cyrodill, then I did Knights of the Nine and the main quest. It was the most fun I've had with Oblivion, but that's a pretty big caveat.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

so if I get oblivion on steam, what do I need to do to make the game not poo poo?

Did they fix the weird leveling dynamics and stuff or do I need a goon approved mod list?

note you need to get the DELUXE goty edition, a bunch of mods require all the lovely little DLCs for placed objects and stuff.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

The Underking gave me sweet kisses

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

DaysBefore posted:

Joining an ultranationalist militia because NotAElf420 told me the Empire wants to force my children to drink Potions of Cure Disease

"Sheeple," I think to myself as I google eating skeever tails to cure my rockjoint

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Did they fix the weird leveling dynamics and stuff or do I need a goon approved mod list?

I'd recommend checking out the Through The Valleys modding guide. It's still being actively updated. It improves the leveling dynamics while still leaving the basic progression intact.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
That's the one I use (but I also agree that the game just doesn't work for me in 2023). Through the Valley makes Oblivion the best it can be, and it's how I'd recommend people play it.

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

No one else could be assed to do it. They just wanted to sit back and enjoy tenure, while occasionally getting students killed in old ruins or whatever.

As much as the College questline sucked poo poo, that part always made perfect sense to me.

Simsmagic
Aug 3, 2011

im beautiful

ThaumPenguin posted:

I'd recommend checking out the Through The Valleys modding guide. It's still being actively updated. It improves the leveling dynamics while still leaving the basic progression intact.

This is a good guide, and oblivion modding has come a long way to making the game more stable. You can follow the guide up to the bug fixes section if you would rather mod the gameplay yourself, although the ones they provide still make a good experience

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Things just haven't been the same since the Battlespire got owned

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Why are the only two modpacks for Oblivion on Wabbajack a graphical and stability only one, and something which claims to be a huge gameplay overhaul using the first as a base but is apparently early enough in development or something that it's just the first pack with like, two more mods in it??

Is it even worth trying to cram some gameplay/content mods into this if I hate troubleshooting things?

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

For a while there was a Wabbajack version of the Through The Valleys modding guide, but it got taken down.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

ThaumPenguin posted:

For a while there was a Wabbajack version of the Through The Valleys modding guide, but it got taken down.
I was hoping for something more of a kitchen sink than that anyway, although if I'm gonna play I guess I'd better be sparing to avoid having to resolve many conflicts or things. :negative:

edit: Is there some like, minimal list I can add to make stats on leveling less of a pain (if only "everything is always +5 have fun"), make enemies less damage spongey/scale less stupidly, and make loot more interesting? I looked at through the valleys and the core major gameplay mod was like "and now your magicka regenerates super slowly and you cant' carry as much and and" which is not interesting to me. A nice house mod which can automatically sort my loot would also be good.

Zereth fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Apr 3, 2023

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

There isn't another oblivon-specific thread I should be asking about this in, is there?

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
I mean if Wabbajack isn't doing it for you, the only other real big mod lists place is https://next.nexusmods.com/oblivion/collections

Beyond that, Oblivion modding is neither Morrowind modding or Skyrim modding. There's less passion than either, so you'll have to do a bit more work to find things for yourself.

Flowing Thot
Apr 1, 2023

:murder:
Oblivion modding is less active than Daggerfall modding.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Oblivion: Maskar’s Overhaul, Oblivion Character Overhaul 2.0, Oblivion XP, and your usual unofficial patches are all you really need. Oblivion is still a good fun game.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Well, I got something working.

So new question: is there a way to tell with the console if a container will reset or not? I'm hoping I can use this grave robber's house to store things now that he's dead since it'll take a while to get myself a legit house.

Boob Cop
Jan 1, 2023

Can't live without this mod imo

https://www.nexusmods.com/oblivion/mods/52865

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

If oblivion is locking up a frame or two after I open the inventory or map or such after loading a game, does this indicate any specific issue? I tried turning off my UI mod but it happened the same way.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

I experience that during testing whenever I've used the "tmm 1" console command to unlock all map markers (don't do this for a regular playthrough, trust me).
Has any mod perhaps added some item or functionality to your inventory that could cause it to chug? Do you use a map retexture or overhaul separate from the UI mod? Did you grab have all of the UI mod's recommended script mods (maybe it's using a slower fallback system because it's missing a dependency)? Have you installed Engine Bug Fixes and Oblivion Display Tweaks, and did you make sure to configure the latter?

I'm just spitballing here, let us know if you find anything.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

I got the modpack through wabbajack and slapped a few minor gameplay things on at the end so I assume it has all the dependencies and such.

... Is "I raised my carry capacity a lot and went through the oblivion gate at kvatch and kvatch itself grabbing everything without any breaks to sell or unload" something that could "cause my inventory to chug"? I had to riase my carrying capacity again from where I already had it during that sequence. It didn't cause any problems until after my game cashed and I had to reload a save and then I had the problem, though.

fake edit: I just checked and a save from before I went into kvatch itself works. Only thing I can think of that I did differently was "pick up everything"

I think I need to obtain a house rather than using that stump in the market district so I can sort my stuff.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Well I played for quite a lot today and did not have the problem recur after I obtained a house and started more frequently dropping things off and selling stuff more often.

... Now I need to move stuff from that stump but interacting with it is a little crashy.

hannibal
Jul 27, 2001

[img-planes]
The Elder Scrolls Series General Discussion: Interacting with it is a little crashy.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

i would slap new vegas anti-crash into your oblivion installation to cover poo poo like that

Boob Cop
Jan 1, 2023

Zereth posted:

I got the modpack through wabbajack and slapped a few minor gameplay things on at the end so I assume it has all the dependencies and such.

... Is "I raised my carry capacity a lot and went through the oblivion gate at kvatch and kvatch itself grabbing everything without any breaks to sell or unload" something that could "cause my inventory to chug"? I had to riase my carrying capacity again from where I already had it during that sequence. It didn't cause any problems until after my game cashed and I had to reload a save and then I had the problem, though.

fake edit: I just checked and a save from before I went into kvatch itself works. Only thing I can think of that I did differently was "pick up everything"

I think I need to obtain a house rather than using that stump in the market district so I can sort my stuff.

I like this house

https://www.nexusmods.com/oblivion/mods/37842

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=swIII5Taq3c

How does Dagoth Ur continue to never get old

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
hes a god.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I'm amazed that there's no official Elder Scrolls TTRPG yet. You'd think Modiphius or someone like that would snatch up the license. I did find an unofficial one that somebody put a lot of work into.

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Apr 10, 2023

Flowing Thot
Apr 1, 2023

:murder:
Could I interest you in a collectable trading card game instead? Is that still around or did they shut it down?

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

Halloween Jack posted:

I'm amazed that there's no official Elder Scrolls TTRPG yet. You'd think Modiphius or someone like that would snatch up the license. I did find an unofficial one that somebody put a lot of work into.

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/342372/elder-scrolls-v-skyrim-adventure-game

I don’t know how well this suits your definition of ttrpg, but it has quests, some roleplaying choices / branching decisions you can make, equipment, followers/party members and stats so…. Close enough??

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Halloween Jack posted:

It never actually occurred but I was going to run a version of Morrowind for a group of friends by just keeping a laptop open to the unofficial wiki and using some table top system, d&d or whfrpg or something, to provide the mechanics. Just change the prophecy to be about shards of Nerevar split into multiple Neravarine.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Deltasquid posted:

I don’t know how well this suits your definition of ttrpg, but it has quests, some roleplaying choices / branching decisions you can make, equipment, followers/party members and stats so…. Close enough??
Yeah, it's one of those board game/RPG hybrids. It's even by Modiphius! You've made a fool of me.

Elder Scrolls is, in my analysis, basically somebody's home AD&D campaign and by that measure it's easily one of the very best and most successful out there. It would probably be pretty easy to run in whatever version of D&D or D&D inspired games you want to use. But I didn't get into the series until Skyrim, so I don't have a good sense of what game-mechanical elements are considered "iconic." There would have to be a way to summon a flame atronach to fight for you. And by the same token there's stuff from the games you'd want to dispense with, like the Transmute spell.

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Apr 11, 2023

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
The biggest problem it would have is the problem the Fallout 1 style TTRPG had: you're taking a system designed around letting one player do everything and making a four or five person party. So it's better to just change the mechanics entirely rather than ending up a 1-100 skill system where players are quickly hyper competent.

Mass Effect had a particularly good TTRPG, fan made on the West End star wars model.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

Halloween Jack posted:

Yeah, it's one of those board game/RPG hybrids. It's even by Modiphius! You've made a fool of me.

Elder Scrolls is, in my analysis, basically somebody's home AD&D campaign

We know that the original Elder Scrolls setting came from TTRPGa among the developers, particularly Tunnels and Trolls, which was a slightly more rules light and open ended version of DnD. There’s a great interview by Polygon of multiple of the developers discussing their influences that gets into the details.

https://www.polygon.com/2019/3/27/18281082/elder-scrolls-morrowind-oral-history-bethesda

Edit: here you go

quote:

And that’s when we realized we knew gently caress-all about the world; there was nothing except Daggerfall, which is very small. There maybe was a timeline stuck somewhere, with just a bunch of names and stuff like that. And so much of it was kind of just coming out of a D&D game that the original [Bethesda] guys had done, and most of those guys were gone.

Cantorsdust fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Apr 11, 2023

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Thanks for that article! I had no idea Ken Rolston had this long career in tabletop before he worked on TES. His work on BRP and WFRP explain the 00-100 skill system.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Y'all think the negotiated peace ending for the Skyrim civil war is going to last?

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

You mean the truce you can set up during the main quest? It's mutually agreed to only last until the fall of Alduin and/or the end of the dragon crisis. Hostilities ensue immediately upon the end of the main quest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Oh, gently caress. So you actually do have to end the war fully one way or the other.