Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow
the 1 worker bug is sort of pissing me off. gonna wait on the hotfix for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Blorange posted:

I want to throw out there that over-building universities is very powerful if you have the economy to support them. They might be running at 20% efficiency but it just doesn't matter, you're buying more of a very scare resource.

Yeah, I am beginning to wonder if I was being dumb staying at the innovation cap as Russia. Tech is always coming in from elsewhere, you start very behind the tech leaders, and you have huge amounts of money.

The question is, how many universities to build, and when?

Popoto posted:

What's this bug?

Edit: Looks like it's this

Gort fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Mar 16, 2023

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Popoto posted:

If you have a building that is not hiring anyone even though it really should be able to do so, subsidizing it for a week usually works to give it a kickstart and force it to start hiring again.

Gort posted:

Dozens, and wherever you have excess unemployed or peasants. I've had over 100 extra innovation before, which gives you a decent amount of passive research spread. Because the spread applies for each research tree, you get more techs from spread than actual directed research, so it's worth giving it a good boost. I have to wonder if it's worth getting hundreds of extra innovation. Are there diminishing returns at any point? I suppose eventually, you'll just become the tech leader in every area and will no longer get any spread because of it.

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

I've seen factories get stuck at just a single capitalist if you have absolutely no demand for a product.

Other weirdness i've seen is a battle get stuck where a defender has just a dozen or less troops less and they just refuse to die. I watched a battle between germany and france where the germans lost over 50k troops to about 20 remaining french soldiers, despite having a higher combat strength

(i also had 5 french solders hold off thousands of troops but that was an under-supported naval landing which was my own fault)

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

I suppose my specific question is, "When do I build a university instead of another construction yard" but I daresay the answer is "It depends"

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Is it possible to get people from discriminated cultures to migrate? I was fine with it not happening before but now that multiculturalism is functionally luck based not having any Chinese migration to the Americas is noticable

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

If you have a building that is not hiring anyone even though it really should be able to do so, subsidizing it for a week usually works to give it a kickstart and force it to start hiring again.

subsidizing or changing production methods fixes it yeah. but in my spain game it was happening for almost every new building, making me having to babysit each new building. the game is already micro intensive as it is. It's too big a bug that I would be very surprised if not fixed very soon, so yeah: don't mind waiting.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Gort posted:

Three per state is important for qualifications, isn’t it?

CrypticTriptych
Oct 16, 2013
The "top 3 legitimate governments" options are helpful sometimes but I hope they expand on it (and polish the UI a little bit... the buttons are kind of just there with no explanation). Since they're calculating the legitimacy for every combination anyways I'd really like to be able to pull up the whole list of options, with filters for (in gov't/out of gov't/don't care) for each IG. It seems the thing I spend the most time on on the government screen is checking if there's any good way of kicking the landowners out of power yet.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

ulmont posted:

Is it?

Edit: Huh, I had missed that they raise qualifications

Gort fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Mar 16, 2023

DJ_Mindboggler
Nov 21, 2013

ulmont posted:

What is the breakpoint at 3? Also, if that's true, I've been screwing up going tall with universities.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

DJ_Mindboggler posted:

What is the breakpoint at 3? Also, if that's true, I've been screwing up going tall with universities.

Not a breakpoint, but the state_pop_qualifications_mult factor is from 0.1 (scholastic education production method) to 0.2 (analytical philosophy).

So, if you have 3, you're getting a 30-60% boost to qualifications in that state. Whether this is too much or not enough will depend on how highly educated your population is to begin with and how many more expensive jobs you have in that state, but does suggest that you want at least a few spread around in most cases.

Kris xK
Apr 23, 2010
Embarrassingly basic question: should I be consolidating Construction Sectors in one state or spreading them around?

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

Kris xK posted:

Embarrassingly basic question: should I be consolidating Construction Sectors in one state or spreading them around?

I think it’s the same as anything else really - you should concentrate up to your maximum throughput bonus in one state if you have the workers to make it happen.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

I actually prefer to spread construction out so I can switch to new production methods without causing a shortage because I suddenly need 750 iron and glass

You can get around this by just reducing the construction sector because yeah once you get going they only take a month to go up but this method also spreads the throughout bonus to states with mines or traits you want to take advantage of.

Dayton Sports Bar
Oct 31, 2019

ulmont posted:

Not a breakpoint, but the state_pop_qualifications_mult factor is from 0.1 (scholastic education production method) to 0.2 (analytical philosophy).

So, if you have 3, you're getting a 30-60% boost to qualifications in that state. Whether this is too much or not enough will depend on how highly educated your population is to begin with and how many more expensive jobs you have in that state, but does suggest that you want at least a few spread around in most cases.

Wouldn’t you want 5 universities per state then? In fact, I could’ve sworn that was the rule of thumb I heard before.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Dayton Sports Bar posted:

Wouldn’t you want 5 universities per state then? In fact, I could’ve sworn that was the rule of thumb I heard before.

5 per big state (big meaning more than 1.5 million peasants) is what I do if I'm playing as China because shift clicking is less effort than clicking 3 times.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

Dayton Sports Bar posted:

It depends. For education access all you need is tier 3 and level 3 schools. With tier 5 university you can get by with level 2 schools.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=1&threadid=3968353&pagenumber=294&perpage=40&highlight=university#post527779072

Blorange
Jan 31, 2007

A wizard did it

ulmont posted:

It depends. For education access all you need is tier 3 and level 3 schools. With tier 5 university you can get by with level 2 schools.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=1&threadid=3968353&pagenumber=294&perpage=40&highlight=university#post527779072

I'm going to correct my past self, if universities ever helped education access it was probably a mod I was running at the time.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

Blorange posted:

I'm going to correct my past self, if universities ever helped education access it was probably a mod I was running at the time.

Goddamnit past Blorange.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Kris xK posted:

spread them around at first, especially when your construction production methods are bad. this will let you flip the construction methods one at a time so you don't crush your economy by suddenly creating huge demand for steel once you enable steel-framed buildings

you don't need a construction industry in every state but you want to have a few states with construction industry. if you have states which have huge populations relative to other states, then more construction industries there increases construction throughput for those states, which just means faster construction. so there are big bonuses for concentrating construction, it's just that it is difficult to leverage those bonuses in the early game when you can only afford a handful of construction anyway and they're all low tech. once your economy starts humming and you get better tech, it makes more sense to concentrate

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Thanks all, I'll keep at it.

Gort posted:

Absolutely downsize privately-built buildings if they're no good for you, there's no difference between a publicly-built building and a privately-built building once they're built.

That said, I'd probably not bulldoze a grain farm if my country's got a grain shortage, that would piss people off, not because of the bulldozing precisely, but because grain prices are high.

Oh my bad, I definitely wasn't bulldozing grain farms, I meant more like private investments building poo poo like whaling stations or cotton farms despite poor returns when more grain was what I needed (and that need never stopped growing, I was finding it hard to meet demand)

That said, one thing I noticed, I think, some staple goods won't show up if you don't have access to them in the first place? At least I assume this is what's happening with Fish in particular (I didn't build Fisheries at all since other goods were more valuable), which experience tells me should be a staple good, but none of my pops are buying it. That said, I did notice that Meat is entirely separate and is considered a luxury good so maybe it's different in this game

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

I feel like if you're forming Italy taking the rest from Austria shouldn't be quite as crazy infamy heavy as it ends up being.

Canopus250
Feb 18, 2005

You guys are taking me along this time? Right? Wait Shaundi is going? This is bullshit man!

So with the change to colonization I don't get how to actually get started on places like Hokkaido/Sakhalin. I've declared an interest in the region, but I'm still blocked by the Japanese Shogunate claims and there is no play I saw to deal with that. Do I just have to conquer some/one of the Japanese provinces to open it up to me or what?

Also has the AI actually building stuff improved with 1.2? I sped through about 25 years of a game the other day and I'm not convinced after neither Qing or Russia seemed to have built more than 5 coal mines despite having hundreds of demand.

Canopus250 fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Mar 17, 2023

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Canopus250 posted:

So with the change to colonization I don't get how to actually get started on places like Hokkaido/Sakhalin. I've declared an interest in the region, but I'm still blocked by the Japanese Shogunate claims and there is no play I saw to deal with that. Do I just have to conquer some/one of the Japanese provinces to open it up to me or what?

Also has the AI actually building stuff improved with 1.2? I sped through about 25 years of a game the other day and I'm not convinced after neither Qing or Russia seemed to have built more than 5 coal mines despite having hundreds of demand.

You can make them revoke claims, then everyone can colonize there. Yes, it's stupid that you can't claim dibs instead.

Canopus250
Feb 18, 2005

You guys are taking me along this time? Right? Wait Shaundi is going? This is bullshit man!

Any idea where that might be located or what other requirements there are to do so?

I don't see it at all under my eligible or unavailable plays.

Ignore the terrible economy, that's from the Qing deciding to get their asses kicked by GB and destroying all our trade.

Canopus250 fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Mar 17, 2023

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib

Canopus250 posted:

Any idea where that might be located or what other requirements there are to do so?

I don't see it at all under my eligible or unavailable plays.

Ignore the terrible economy, that's from the Qing deciding to get their asses kicked by GB and destroying all our trade.

Bugged, apparently. Assuming it hasn't been fixed you need to start a play for something else, add the revocation, and hope they don't back down.

Canopus250
Feb 18, 2005

Cool, can confirm it's not fixed and that even switching to them and caving after war starts still doesn't actually remove the claims for me. I guess nobody gets those two islands except if Japan colonizes them and then gets conquered.

Edit: thanks for the help everybody though

Canopus250 fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Mar 17, 2023

CrypticTriptych
Oct 16, 2013
AAR: After sleep-walking to #1 GP as Chile in 1.0 and as Russia in 1.1 I figured I'd try Japan for 1.2 and it went... poorly. It's 1899 and I've basically called it quits. The 2nd Shogun had god-rolled traits giving them +40% clout, and I never managed to get them under the 20% needed to even start the restoration timer, even with every +clout law removed (except Monarchy, which was basically a "start civil war" button). Threw basically my entire budget into industrializing for the first 30 years and never got to the point of full employment, let alone drawing down the peasantry. Average SOL peaked at 10. Private investment going psycho for art academies probably didn't help.

I finally got out of isolationism in around 1880 in an effort to lower ever-climbing wood prices, and shortly after Russia (#3 GP) decided to play for a treaty port, which I countered with demand recognition. I've read the thread, just naval invade Alaska, right? Well, they also swayed proto-Germany (#4 GP) and mobilized 600 battalions. I mobilized about 500 battalions (almost all conscripts) and invaded Alaska, and they just shredded my convoys and kicked me out in about 8 months. Then nothing happened for a while as I spiraled into insane debt keeping the army going. Eventually they naturally fell to zero war support, I invaded Alaska again, and they bizarrely sent no troops. Nearing default despite The Most Taxes and facing no opposition, I switched all the conscripts to irregular infantry to balance the budget while the war ticked towards capitulation. However, noticing my sudden weakness, Russia and Germany promptly double-naval-invaded me. I had managed a big enough war score lead from occupying alaska to slam white peace before they realized I was completely screwed.

Before the war was even over, the sick-of-these-taxes poors demanded welfare (or revolt) and the industrialists threatened no welfare (or revolt), and simultaneously the intelligentsia asked nicely for a republic, so I figured if we're going to have a civil war anyways it might as well be over that. The shogunate+samurai swung about 2/3rds of the country, but I had the capital where all the arms industries were. Unfortunately their numbers proved superior, winning the brief civil war and rolling back various progressive reforms.

At that point I kind of just threw my hat on the ground. Tbh it was refreshing after the previous playthroughs to get pushed into the mud a bit.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Fun times as Haiti, America became my protector so France kissed my rear end when I canceled the indemnity payments and now I've been free to have the second-highest standard of living and in the top ten for literacy.

The trade unions coalitioning with the armed forces for two elections in a row helped.

Magissima
Apr 15, 2013

I'd like to introduce you to some of the most special of our rocks and minerals.
Soiled Meat
It's the perfect coalition

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
So around when should I start addressing supply needs, ideally? +25% above market price?

Also drat I wish the outliner culled goods without buy/sell orders, lots of unneeded entries right now

Ferrosol
Nov 8, 2010

Notorious J.A.M

toasterwarrior posted:

So around when should I start addressing supply needs, ideally? +25% above market price?

Also drat I wish the outliner culled goods without buy/sell orders, lots of unneeded entries right now

Ideally your supply needs should be in the low single digits of profitability or even unprofitable(but subsidised) if they're a raw resource like wood or iron. Of course actually hitting this level is easier said than done for most countries.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Any amount of positive price modifier is a sign that you should make more of that good. Since that will be a lot of your goods, you should first prioritize your current construction goods, then any other important industrial goods, then consumer goods.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Huh, I figured you just want a slight deficit so the price stays profitable. Alright, I'll do that, thank you.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Realistically, you'll be hard pressed to get most of your goods in the negative price modifier range. Demand for goods has a tendency to rebound as you try to meet the demand for other goods, and you'll regularly be in the +0 to +20% range for a lot of goods. Small countries like Chile may be different though, and I don't have much experience with them.

See my post at the end of the last page for general advice on industrialization if you haven't already seen it, but the profitability of individual buildings isn't really as important as the overall growth rate of your economy. There's not much extra growth to be had though when you run out of population, so get colonizing/conquering.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 09:58 on Mar 17, 2023

Keisari
May 24, 2011

Realistically, you'll be hard pressed to get most of your goods in the negative price modifier range. Demand for goods has a tendency to rebound as you try to meet the demand for other goods, and you'll regularly be in the +0 to +20% range for a lot of goods. Small countries like Chile may be different though, and I don't have much experience with them.

See my post at the end of the last page for general advice on industrialization if you haven't already seen it, but the profitability of individual buildings isn't really as important as the overall growth rate of your economy. There's not much extra growth to be had though when you run out of population, so get colonizing/conquering.

Or, pass multiculturalism and diplomatically add other countries to your market and siphon their population. It's what I've been doing in my US run. Basically a chill game, got over 2000 conscriptable battalions thanks to national guard + militia, no one wants to gently caress with me so I can just sit back, have minimal taxes and watch the capitalists build up the economy. With low taxes and census suffrage, I can build 100 legitimacy governments that spawn loyalists so there's no unrest, so I can have only level 1 police.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Yeah, this was what I realized a bit too late in my Chile game, you start with a really baller military for the region and can kick Argentina's head in along with kneecapping their colonization of the state of Mendoza. I really wanted to do Multiculturalism + immigration but the conservatives are so heavily-entrenched and that as far as I know, only Trade Unions are willing to approve of MC so I have to make smarter political choices from game start. The best I managed was this last run, getting the Liberal party (industrialists + intelligentsia) in by the 1860s and the Church out, so I could start suppressing them. And then I hosed that one up by wardeccing Chile for another state while they were allied with Paraguay, and my combined total Military power, despite being more than theirs, absolutely getting wrecked since they still had way more men than I did. I'll give it another go, I guess.

Also man private investment buildings are legit fuckin annoying when you're playing with a small population. If only they kept their construction to one state; unfortunately, it sucks when they build something in another state and then unemployed people in the state you're hoping to develop migrate over there instead. Keep having to swat down whatever economically-unwise poo poo they build.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

toasterwarrior posted:

Huh, I figured you just want a slight deficit so the price stays profitable. Alright, I'll do that, thank you.

you're much better off dunking the price of staple goods like grain, wood, coal etc. into the dirt than trying to maintain a slight profitability at every step so that the farmers and miners get decent wages. it's better to have cheap input goods and make up the difference to the producers with minimum wage and welfare. keeping slightly high prices for iron and wood means more expensive tools, and so on

of course, this is just an idea goal which you'll find is difficult to implement in reality. it's not really a problem running at +5% coal for most of the game, you're better off expanding your industries and playing catch up with input goods production rather than dicking around optimizing coal prices with stagnating industry

CrypticTriptych posted:

AAR: After sleep-walking to #1 GP as Chile in 1.0 and as Russia in 1.1 I figured I'd try Japan for 1.2 and it went... poorly. It's 1899 and I've basically called it quits. T

yeah you have to spend like the first half of the game dismantling the shogunate. it feels real slow considering that as the united states you can enter the economic singularity by like 1860

Mr. Fall Down Terror fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Mar 17, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

megane
Jun 20, 2008

My Japan game is going better than that, but is it normal for me to have to carpet the entire country in logging camps? I feel like I'm going to have to go conquer somewhere just to get more wood

e: Also, the biggest building in my country is the size 17 art academy the aristocrats built in the Ryukyu islands. There is nothing else in the Ryukyu islands.