Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

frytechnician
Jan 8, 2004

Happy to see me?
Not sure if this has already been posted in the thread but godDAMN - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G5OE8B0n2GQ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
why did they make donald trump say two entirely correct things, that's not how it should work

also here's a video youtube threw at me that I think is worth sharing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L-HdNAHdj4w

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

frytechnician posted:

Not sure if this has already been posted in the thread but godDAMN - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G5OE8B0n2GQ

lmao

Waste of Breath
Dec 30, 2021

I only know🧠 one1️⃣ thing🪨: I😡 want😤 to 🔪kill☠️… 😈Chaos😱… I need🥵 to. [TIME⏰ TO DIE☠️]
:same:
The SMT one is good too.

https://youtu.be/jKm_FT7veyw

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

mastajake posted:

Did they change it to where your weapons carry over in NG+ in P5G for this port? Not really worth grinding the Reaper or stones for the pub otherwise.

They carry, assuming you mean P5R.

I think they also did in P4G, but that was the last pc port

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

I'm doing NG+ on P4G and I really hate that the SL max outs don't carry over for trophy status. I'm in November and should be able to get the links done but I have an earlier checkpoint to go back and have time to knock out all the books since I'm not sure I can do both even with the 2x boost. I definitely didn't do stuff 100% optimally but it's annoying regardless.

Bad Parenting
Mar 26, 2007

This could get emotional...

I played a bit of P4 golden on vita but only got a couple of months in to the game before falling off, bought p5 on ps4 and got to the first palace before getting distracted by another game, then bought p5r on ps4, but never played it, then finally bought p5r on steam and fell in love with it, been playing on my PC and steam deck since the end of last year.

I'm now just about to face the last boss of the extra royal semester and I don't want the game to end. It's pretty much all I've played this year apart from a bit of hifi rush and wo long. Is there anything else there that will scratch the same itch as this apart from earlier games in the series? I tried SMT 5 on the switch when it released but couldn't really get into it because there seemed to be no real story to go along with wandering the wasteland gathering demons. help I'm gonna miss makoto and the gang

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

The AI Trump voice doesn't seem quite right. It's a lot flatter and lower-energy.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

Yeah I've been tired of the trend for the past couple weeks but the worst part's the bad sound alikes.

Alec Baldwin does a better impression ffs.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Bad Parenting posted:

I played a bit of P4 golden on vita but only got a couple of months in to the game before falling off, bought p5 on ps4 and got to the first palace before getting distracted by another game, then bought p5r on ps4, but never played it, then finally bought p5r on steam and fell in love with it, been playing on my PC and steam deck since the end of last year.

I'm now just about to face the last boss of the extra royal semester and I don't want the game to end. It's pretty much all I've played this year apart from a bit of hifi rush and wo long. Is there anything else there that will scratch the same itch as this apart from earlier games in the series? I tried SMT 5 on the switch when it released but couldn't really get into it because there seemed to be no real story to go along with wandering the wasteland gathering demons. help I'm gonna miss makoto and the gang
There's always Persona 5 Strikers. It's a direct sequel, but also an action-RPG with Dynasty Warriors DNA. It doesn't have as much of the social sim aspect, and there's no time management, but if you're jonesing for more time with the same cast it'll hit the right buttons. And since you have all the main party from P5 except Akechi of course straight from the beginning, certain characters who were somewhat underserved in P5 get more time to shine.

Devil Survivor and Devil Survivor 2 have similar time-management mechanics where you spend time with your buddies, though the settings are less casual. DS2 even has a simplistic Social Link/Confidant-esque mechanic where you gain some perks depending upon who you choose to spend time with. They're a weird sort of hybrid between SRPGs and regular turn-based RPGs in combat.

Outside MegaTen, Tokyo Xanadu (and from what I understand, the Trails From Cold Steel games) have a "Free Time" mechanic where you have a certain number of slots to spend time with your buddies in between plot beats that definitely have the feel of Persona's Social Links even if they're not exactly mechanically equivalent. It's an action-RPG though.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Bad Parenting posted:

There's Persona 5 Strikers which is also on Switch, gameplay is different but you've got your favourite Persona 5 pals and their motorbike/guy riding a ship/lady and her dog friends, etc.

Waste of Breath
Dec 30, 2021

I only know🧠 one1️⃣ thing🪨: I😡 want😤 to 🔪kill☠️… 😈Chaos😱… I need🥵 to. [TIME⏰ TO DIE☠️]
Strikers is a completely different game but it's so loving good at feeling like a road trip with your best buds. And on easy you can just mash through it.

Despite being a Musou it still has fusions and the ability to make some really broken summons!

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Waste of Breath posted:

Strikers is a completely different game but it's so loving good at feeling like a road trip with your best buds.

It's so drat cozy. I think I'll do a new playthrough soon.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Strikers also handles new party characters much better than Royal IMO.

Wolf was much better handled as a late party entry and I will brook no argument against Sophie being the better Bless-based redhead.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Also while Ryuji's VAing is already top notch in P5R, I feel like Strikers is even better at it.

Waste of Breath
Dec 30, 2021

anakha posted:

Strikers also handles new party characters much better than Royal IMO.

Wolf was much better handled as a late party entry and I will brook no argument against Sophie being the better Bless-based redhead.

Hooting and hollering when the spoiler text stuff happened.

I really want to do a new game+ run of it, but on the easier difficulties it's braindead and on the harder difficulties...I clearly didn't learn how to play properly. Or maybe more accurately, playing safely/tactically makes my brain feel like it's leaping directly from 5th gear to 1st and seizing up horribly.

Wolf really made me want them to do another Persona game with an adult cast.

ApplesandOranges posted:

Also while Ryuji's VAing is already top notch in P5R, I feel like Strikers is even better at it.

THEY LET RYUJI SAY gently caress

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Bad Parenting posted:

Fire Emblem Three Houses scratches the same sort of itch imo

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

I gave Persona 4 Golden a shot because of Fire Emblem Three Houses (and because the PC port came out right when I was still playing three houses) and loved it. So I will second FETH. It is way different gameplay though.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Strikers:

When they started doing the LesMiz quotes for Wolf's persona awakening I was sold.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Strikers and 3H are both better written than P5R imo. Gameplay is much more of a taste thing (Strikers is an exact midpoint between a Persona and a Musou, 3H is a pretty easy turn-based strategy) but if you love P5 for the story those should be your next two stops.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Echoing that Strikers slaps. Great writing that fixes pretty much all the issues from P5 and some phenomenal new characters. If you bounce of the musou mechanics you can also just turn the difficulty down to easy and breeze through it all.

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

Also you get more awesome music with Strikers.

mmkay fucked around with this message at 10:54 on Mar 11, 2023

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

mmkay posted:

Also you get more awesome music with Strikers.

I like (no, seriously) that none of my favorite tracks are in your links. Speaks to the overall quality of the OST.

Shyrka
Feb 10, 2005

Small Boss likes to spin!
I liked Take Over more than Last Surprise but the Strikers version makes it a far tougher call.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
How did neither of you post The AI and the Heart, Jail in Abyss or Dared- okay you did in fact post Daredevil, carry on.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

How did neither of you post The AI and the Heart, Jail in Abyss or Dared- okay you did in fact post Daredevil, carry on.

The former is in Singularity so I had my bases covered lol

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Opening video/song is much better than Royal's too, imo. That one just felt too "soft" to me, especially compared to Wake Up Get Up Get Out There.

Bad Parenting
Mar 26, 2007

This could get emotional...

Thanks for the responses all, I already played fire emblem three houses, so I'll probably give p5 strikers a go when I'm done with p5r. I'm pretty sure I got it as a ps+ game at some point in the past as well!

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
And then after that you can play Three Hopes, the musou sequel alternate history to Three Houses!

E: Or the older Persona games, those are also quite good. Some even like them more than 5.

Zulily Zoetrope fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Mar 11, 2023

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Also I was having the itch for something SMT, and also a Nintendo Switch, so I decided to give Tokyo Mirage Sessions a try.

I like it well enough so far, the plot hasn't really done anything exciting yet, but the main character is heck of cute (just did her second side quest where she gets mugged by a raccoon, and then spends an entire afternoon staring down a cat, so she can learn to be "devilish" enough to do a soda commercial, 10/10 no notes) and everything is bright and flashy and stupid and that's all right.

The player character actually talks for once, and he's supposed to be a gormless relatable everyman, but his main character traits are "sorry I don't know who this famous person is, I don't really follow pop culture" and giving absolutely rave reviews whenever you get a drink from a vending machine, so I read him as a deeply pretentious douche, which makes me like him more.

I like the gameplay so far, the Session system is a fresh take. I don't know if it can carry a whole game as well as press turns, but I assume at some point characters will get enough session skills that you actually have to prioritize which ones to take.

The music isn't bad but it's pretty underwhelming compared to the Persona series, and also given that it's actually a central plot theme instead of a non-diegetic element. Dunno if that's a common view or I'm just not really into J-Pop.

biggest take away so far is that I fuckin adore the pause menu; which is such a simple thing but it still makes me smile whenever I pull it up

E: also the game is Japanese audio only with no English voice over, which I thought wouldn't bother me but it's kind of annoying that I don't understand the combat barks, turns out

Zulily Zoetrope fucked around with this message at 11:45 on Mar 14, 2023

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Ytlaya posted:

The AI Trump voice doesn't seem quite right. It's a lot flatter and lower-energy.

yeah its missing all the random, bizarre inflections. tho its pretty spot on for his debate voice

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Who's ready for a P5 mobile gacha game?

https://twitter.com/Persona_Central/status/1636567070119788544

https://twitter.com/ScrambledFaz/status/1636571310267432960

quote:

Officially licensed by Sega with involvement from Atlus, the game is a free-to-play mobile RPG.

:suicide:

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Persona 6 slated for 2030

Gen. Ripper
Jan 12, 2013

Ytlaya posted:

Persona 6 slated for 2300

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

What the gently caress kinda phone do you need to actually be able to run that game on mobile? Certainly a better one than I own. Luckily it appears it's coming to PC too... For whatever that's worth, considering its chinese gacha status.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Eh, I mean just looking at those screenshots it's pretty clear it's a near zero effort asset flip to generate some cash while they're working on other things. I doubt its existence actually impacts the timetable of a potential P6 at all considering it was probably put together by an outsourced C-Team of interns.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Yeah it's being delivered by a separate developer while reusing assets provided by Atlus from what I understood in the article, similar to Strikers.

From the last shots in the gameplay trailer, I speculate the gacha element will be the ability to bring in the original PTs to fight with you.

Kinda bummed that Igor's getting a new Japanese VA.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

anakha posted:

Kinda bummed that Igor's getting a new Japanese VA.

On an emotional level I agree but practically there was really no good option considering the original VA's death. Either they totally drop an iconic cornerstone character of the franchise out of respect for the VA or move forward with a recast like basically every other major franchise in the world would have. I guess we also live in the age now where they could have also considered the option of some kind of AI replication of the original VA but that feels extremely scummy to me, far more so than just recasting the roll.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Infinity Gaia posted:

What the gently caress kinda phone do you need to actually be able to run that game on mobile? Certainly a better one than I own.

Considering the original P5 was developed for the PS3 (and wasn't really pushing the limits of the console at the time), it's not inconceivable that modern mobile tech would be capable of playing a game at 30FPS based on the same core engine.

I also doubt this is anywhere near as long a game as P5R is so storage shouldn't be that big of an issue.

E: vv Point taken lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

anakha posted:

Considering the original P5 was developed for the PS3 (and wasn't really pushing the limits of the console at the time), it's not inconceivable that modern mobile tech would be capable of playing a game at 30FPS based on the same platform.

I also doubt this is anywhere near as long a game as P5R is so storage shouldn't be that big of an issue.

I mean, its going to be a gacha, so in some meanings of the word it's definitely going to be longer than P5R, heh.