Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Smithwick posted:

It’s along the lines of you shouldn’t use a pivot table as an intermediate step to do that because problem A, B , or C could occur. If you want to use a pivot table to do that you should validate that your totals tie out to report X to make sure A, B, or C didn’t occur. Analyst continues to use a pivot table for the task, totals don’t agree to report X. This is the third time.

Yeah PIP time.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

"just different" is still wrong fyi

:emptyquote:

Still wrong but a different cause. Still needs a PIP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

FrozenVent posted:

Is it a mistake or is he stubbornly sticking to a different procedure than what you have in place?

Does it matter?

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Democratic Pirate posted:

Bourgeoisie spotted.

I forgot a 6th class because I hate them so much; the passive aggressive “…” user.

“Will do….”

(I love that sketch)

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

any of you corporate types have gpt-4 access they can somehow share?

I'm using free chatgpt-3.5 and it still sucks, you're all just crab meme enthusiasts:

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

pmchem posted:

I'm using free chatgpt-3.5 and it still sucks, you're all just crab meme enthusiasts:

I got access email just now but can’t share for obv reasons. That said if you wanna try a specific prompt or something PM me, I don’t mind running a couple.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

Democratic Pirate posted:

Bourgeoisie spotted.

I forgot a 6th class because I hate them so much; the passive aggressive “…” user.

“Will do….”

no i straight up dont give a gently caress

ok thx

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

CarForumPoster posted:

I got access email just now but can’t share for obv reasons. That said if you wanna try a specific prompt or something PM me, I don’t mind running a couple.

ah I read that bing chat is running gpt-4 so I'm just using that for now. it still kinda sucks for the two things I've tried, although it did fix my typo while parsing input like a normal search engine would:

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

I saw microsoft is putting chatgpt into outlook and you can ask it to summarize important emails, lol

Sorry boss I missed your email because chatgpt didn’t think it was important enough

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

pmchem posted:

ah I read that bing chat is running gpt-4 so I'm just using that for now. it still kinda sucks for the two things I've tried, although it did fix my typo while parsing input like a normal search engine would:

"learn more:"

well thats dangerous

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

pmchem posted:

Paging forums user Crab Dad...

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

I'm interviewing a bunch of internal and external candidates for a management job running a team that deals with things that affect multiple programs.

One internal candidate has rubbed me up the wrong way in the past, but of course I put that aside and approach the interview positively. It became rapidly clear that I had done a lot more preparation (15 minutes) than he had, and was struggling with complicated questions like "why do you want this job?". Yet again my gut feeling is borne out.

He was also not exactly sure what job he was applying for though I'm unclear if that was a fault of the recruiter. How can you end up in this situation? I don't get it.

His boss is a micromanager apparatchik who has been pushing for him to get a director level for ages. Absolutely not.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Also lol (pls don't doxx)

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

knox_harrington posted:

assman jack

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

probably of interest to this thread, Hadlock has created a new BFC global economics and BFC-related current events thread:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4027219

check it out, or don't, you know, whatever works for you.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

knox_harrington posted:

I'm interviewing a bunch of internal and external candidates for a management job running a team that deals with things that affect multiple programs.

One internal candidate has rubbed me up the wrong way in the past, but of course I put that aside and approach the interview positively. It became rapidly clear that I had done a lot more preparation (15 minutes) than he had, and was struggling with complicated questions like "why do you want this job?". Yet again my gut feeling is borne out.

He was also not exactly sure what job he was applying for though I'm unclear if that was a fault of the recruiter. How can you end up in this situation? I don't get it.

His boss is a micromanager apparatchik who has been pushing for him to get a director level for ages. Absolutely not.

Yeah, listen to your gut here. If they were interested in your department and mission at all even a bad recruiter wouldn't have stopped them from getting a better understanding. It sounds like a buddy of a director trying to get his director wings.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

knox_harrington posted:

he certainly looks like a very pleased man

must be a lot of asses coming his way

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

My business is asses, and business is GOOD

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

HiroProtagonist posted:

he certainly looks like a very pleased man

must be a lot of asses coming his way

The 10,000 Sex Arses have finally been released from Calais!

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

While I wait for new job HR to get their poo poo together and send me a written offer (seriously how long does it take? This does not bode well if it's because they're doing a "compensation review"), we posted a spec for a role and our internal learning team (population: a director and a VP) looked at it and said "hmm, we want to run this through our programme for getting women back into the workplace after career breaks, can we remove the technical aspects and focus on soft skills please?" which is not only flat out insulting to the candidates, but also crazy because we need someone to handle this specific piece of data and process modelling.

We've been burned on this exact thing before when this was actually done and they never learn that it ends up souring people on the whole thing and giving ammunition to idiots complaining about positive discrimination.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

There are some things people should do which unintentionally skewer job postings towards particular genders/cultures/etc. But removing requirements should really not be one of them.

Some practical advice, if you want it, and might be helpful to come back with as a compromise:

1. For job requirements that are important but maybe not critical that you have them all, call it out with things like "Combination of these skills or Experiences:" Men tend to see a list of 8 requirements and say "I have 6 of them, this is a great fit!" women tend to say "I am missing 2, I am not a good fit" (for various cultural and societal reasons), so calling out that you don't need every one of a set of requirements can really help.

2. If both soft skills and tech skills are important, maybe re-order them and put the soft skills first, especially if you haven't posted that way before. Mixing up just the order of things can get you more diverse candidates.

3. Have other people do a rewrite or a heavy edit so you don't just end up basically trying to hire someone like you. We all want to hire people who remind us of ourselves, likely not intentionally, but we may be projecting certain subtle bias without realizing. Do you really need someone bold, or entrepreneurial, or w/e or do you think that just matches yourself?

4. Review titles. Things like "Support" can turn away women unconsciously. I was hiring for a support team a while back and had a helluva time finding diverse candidates. I changed the title and followed some of those other steps and I had a significant increase in the types of people in the pool which made hiring much easier.

Just a couple of things that might help and may help get that team off your back.

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

Lockback posted:

There are some things people should do which unintentionally skewer job postings towards particular genders/cultures/etc. But removing requirements should really not be one of them.

Some practical advice, if you want it, and might be helpful to come back with as a compromise:

1. For job requirements that are important but maybe not critical that you have them all, call it out with things like "Combination of these skills or Experiences:" Men tend to see a list of 8 requirements and say "I have 6 of them, this is a great fit!" women tend to say "I am missing 2, I am not a good fit" (for various cultural and societal reasons), so calling out that you don't need every one of a set of requirements can really help.

2. If both soft skills and tech skills are important, maybe re-order them and put the soft skills first, especially if you haven't posted that way before. Mixing up just the order of things can get you more diverse candidates.

3. Have other people do a rewrite or a heavy edit so you don't just end up basically trying to hire someone like you. We all want to hire people who remind us of ourselves, likely not intentionally, but we may be projecting certain subtle bias without realizing. Do you really need someone bold, or entrepreneurial, or w/e or do you think that just matches yourself?

4. Review titles. Things like "Support" can turn away women unconsciously. I was hiring for a support team a while back and had a helluva time finding diverse candidates. I changed the title and followed some of those other steps and I had a significant increase in the types of people in the pool which made hiring much easier.

Just a couple of things that might help and may help get that team off your back.

I was trying to help fill some roles a few years ago, I really wanted to use it as a chance to bring in more diverse people, but we weren't getting any bites at all for the role. This list is good, but something I realized had to be done for the role was a boots on the ground, go out and find people who could be good fit for the role, would bring some diversity to a team, but wouldn't have seen the role in the first place. What I struggled with there was, well, with a pandemic still going on it's not like I can go to industry specific meet up nights.

Luckily it wasn't my job to fill that role, I'm just an individual contributor on the team, but it made me realize how difficult recruiting can actually be. I have basically zero social media presence, and I would have felt real lovely making accounts and dropping in on spaces like "Hey group of people who aren't exactly like me, that don't know me, I've got a job that maybe one of you would want, message me for details."

At least pre-pandemic, going to real world, physical events you could feel things out, have casual conversations, and see if it makes sense to bring up a role in the course of a 2 hour meet up. You could even convince your company to host events to help fill roles.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Yeah that is an awesome point. Also bang the referral drum too, that can also really help.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

The overall programme is actually quite well run, though they've admitted that they're about 3 months behind where they need to be in respect of external visibility, but they seem to have this odd approach at the moment of "well, these are the candidates we have so can you just rewrite the spec to fit them?" Instead of actually doing the legwork to get more in. It will happen I'm sure but it's going to poison the well a bit if they do this to everyone.

Anyway the spec is actually pretty short, definitely not one of those "throw in the kitchen sink" ones you get (I saw one on LinkedIn that was completely crazy the other day), and I always put some of the more niche domain specific stuff as "nice to have" because you can easily write yourself out of the market. But the only actual specific parts were the ones they wanted to take out :psyduck:

e: events would be a good idea actually, hopefully when they've got a bit further that will actually happen so the primary output stops being linkedin posts which is what it is at the moment

Powerful Two-Hander fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Mar 17, 2023

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
"I loving told you so," is like red meat to me. I love saying it, but I probably shouldn't get to say it quite as much as I do. It's up there near Just Desserts on the food pyramid of corporate schadenfreude.

We have yet another investigation related to a cleaning issue that I warned people about back in November. I spent more than eight hours of meetings and escalations trying to get people to not change a set of definitions for certain types of work arrangements (specifically, what "tandem work" means) and trying to get them to understand that "partially trained" means "untrained." In the end, I was told I was making a fuss about nothing and should shut up and mind my own business, because they (commercial mfg) knew what they were doing better than I did.

The redefinition of tandem work changed it from "within line of sight of each other, witnessing each other's work" to "assigned to the same area," basically, with no requirement of witness/verification or maintaining line of sight. Meanwhile, the definitions of training levels had "Partially Trained" and "Fully Trained" and allowed a partially-trained cleaning operator to be paired with a fully-trained operator provided a tandem work arrangement was maintained to ensure verification that the work was performed correctly by the trainee.

That is, of course, the cue for a newly-redefined tandem pair to be assigned with a Fully Trained and Partially Trained member in a sterile-production manufacturing building, with the FT signing that the PT did his work correctly (even though they were on opposite ends of the production floor from each other with no line of sight), and the PT to sign that the FT did her work correctly (again, even though no LoS and also in this case a Partially Trained person not being trained to say the work was right at all).

Because the procedure said it was OK (even though it fails critical thinking tests and clearly is an oversight related to not having assessed impact to the training levels from the tandem change), commercial let this go for a few months before an internal audit by QA caught it and shouted at them. How did you verify work is done that you didn't see? How are you certain they had the right bucket dilutions? How do you know they followed the 9x9 mop limit or rinsed correctly? Etc etc. Oh, and how do you tell which part they haven't finished training on yet? How are you calling them adequately trained to work without supervision but not adequately trained enough to work alone? What's the difference?

Now it's suddenly a big emergency, needs instant fixing, etc etc. I loving told you so.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Sundae posted:

"I loving told you so," is like red meat to me. I love saying it, but I probably shouldn't get to say it quite as much as I do. It's up there near Just Desserts on the food pyramid of corporate schadenfreude.

We have yet another investigation related to a cleaning issue that I warned people about back in November. I spent more than eight hours of meetings and escalations trying to get people to not change a set of definitions for certain types of work arrangements (specifically, what "tandem work" means) and trying to get them to understand that "partially trained" means "untrained." In the end, I was told I was making a fuss about nothing and should shut up and mind my own business, because they (commercial mfg) knew what they were doing better than I did.

The redefinition of tandem work changed it from "within line of sight of each other, witnessing each other's work" to "assigned to the same area," basically, with no requirement of witness/verification or maintaining line of sight. Meanwhile, the definitions of training levels had "Partially Trained" and "Fully Trained" and allowed a partially-trained cleaning operator to be paired with a fully-trained operator provided a tandem work arrangement was maintained to ensure verification that the work was performed correctly by the trainee.

That is, of course, the cue for a newly-redefined tandem pair to be assigned with a Fully Trained and Partially Trained member in a sterile-production manufacturing building, with the FT signing that the PT did his work correctly (even though they were on opposite ends of the production floor from each other with no line of sight), and the PT to sign that the FT did her work correctly (again, even though no LoS and also in this case a Partially Trained person not being trained to say the work was right at all).

Because the procedure said it was OK (even though it fails critical thinking tests and clearly is an oversight related to not having assessed impact to the training levels from the tandem change), commercial let this go for a few months before an internal audit by QA caught it and shouted at them. How did you verify work is done that you didn't see? How are you certain they had the right bucket dilutions? How do you know they followed the 9x9 mop limit or rinsed correctly? Etc etc. Oh, and how do you tell which part they haven't finished training on yet? How are you calling them adequately trained to work without supervision but not adequately trained enough to work alone? What's the difference?

Now it's suddenly a big emergency, needs instant fixing, etc etc. I loving told you so.

FINDING: Sundae should have warned us.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

docbeard posted:

FINDING: Sundae should have warned us.

That would absolutely not surprise me. :suicide:

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

It has been two zero days since last incident.
Big Super Slapstick Hunk
Sundae failed to provide proper justification for us to take him seriously.
Shouting "this is straight up illegal and fails every single common sense scrutiny I can come up with" is not proper use of management time during scheduled meetings.

In conclusion, Sundae has been formally reprimanded for neglecting to provide adequate supervision and a 760 hour training course has been mandated to all lower level janitors to prevent this from happening again.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Trabant posted:

The 10,000 Sex Arses have finally been released from Calais!

the miracle of bumkirk

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
I called the cleaning crew managers and told them basically, "Look, I know this isn't fully on you guys since commercial wrote the procedures like this, but I have to protect my own building. I'm blocking all of your badge access. Resubmit only people with 'Fully Trained' status, along with proof that it's completed." I'm not going to allow anyone from the cleaning crews without confirmed Fully-Trained status to even enter my area. If they piggy-back off each other's badges, at least I've done CYA for my group re: responsibility for it.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

SerthVarnee posted:

In conclusion, Sundae has been formally reprimanded for neglecting to provide adequate supervision and a 760 hour training course has been mandated to all lower level janitors to prevent this from happening again.

Doing 15 minutes of the training course is adequate to be "partially trained".

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

FAUXTON posted:

the miracle of bumkirk

Finally a victory the British can stand behind!

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

Finally a victory the British can stand behind!

ah that's what they mean when you're behind someone "to the hilt"

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

Sundae posted:

This but a much more minor note where i was like:
"we should give our partner insight into how we're planning to work with milestones each week"

"no delete that slide, it's too internally focused"

"ok"

"actually we need to communicate milestones to our partner because i don't think they have insight into our timelines and milestones, can you recreate that slide you I deleted?"

"oh ok sure I'll make sure it's focused on their needs and concerns :shepface: [recreates same exact slide]"

"thanks this was what I was looking for"

:ok:

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
arent you backoffice consulting firm

don't you know to never delete anything

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
Happy Monday! :coffeepal:

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Let me ask you something.

When you come in on a Monday and you're not feeling real well, does anyone ever say to you "It sounds like someone has a case of the Mondays"?

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Eric the Mauve posted:

When you come in on a Monday and you're not feeling real well, does anyone ever say to you "It sounds like someone has a case of the Mondays"?

This is how I coped my second murder rap.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Eric the Mauve posted:

Hey now, maybe something really good happened to Renegret. He could have been laid off.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

No jury would convict

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Eric the Mauve posted:

Yes but it's every day.

My go to usually is "it's 1030 am and I'm already loving furious ".