Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: weg, Toxic Mental)

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

shadow puppet of a posted:

Hearing rumblings that Austria is finally getting ready to commit to a military assistance package consisting of:

• A single gently used Lippanzer Stallion tack and extra narrow saddle
  • One dozen Roth–Steyr M1907 keychain fobs
  • Three Madritsch Weapon Technology ML40 Grenade Launcher DLC codes for ARMA2
  • Four hundred and seventy nine commemorative Empress Maria Theresa Jägerbataillon Wien 1 buffet-type place settings with extra napkin rings.

Outrageously irresponsible. Russia, the real victim here, will have no choice but to escalate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scam Likely
Feb 19, 2021

Russia should absolutely celebrate defeating that drone via commemorative stamp. Especially since that MQ-9 drone was firing daily missile barrages into the heart of Moscow and killing innocent civilians as part of Ukraine's invasion of poor lil Russia.

Turrurrurrurrrrrrr
Dec 22, 2018

I hope this is "battle" enough for you, friend.

Haha America just lost the war. Drone down!

BrassRoots
Jan 9, 2012

You can play a shoestring if you're sincere - John Coltrane
I keep seeing right wing "wheres the money going?" Propaganda on twitter.

Do these people not know how the USA MIC works? Bitch, its going to lcokheed martin! Then trickles down to factory workers if there is enough left over from lobbying congress. Most of the "money" is just the government print fat syacks for american arms industry.

TBF, theres probably a few other stacks going to ukraine for things like fire engines, paying soldiers, you know the general poo poo a country has to pay for but cant because they have to defend against an invading force.

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

BrassRoots posted:

Do these people not know how the USA MIC works? Bitch, its going to lcokheed martin! Then trickles down to factory workers if there is enough left over from lobbying congress. Most of the "money" is just the government print fat syacks for american arms industry.

TBF, theres probably a few other stacks going to ukraine for things like fire engines, paying soldiers, you know the general poo poo a country has to pay for but cant because they have to defend against an invading force.

Most of the 'money' is in poo poo that was manufactured 30 years ago that the government still has a monetary value assigned to it. There are things they're letting out contracts for but that's pocket change compared to the spring cleaning of old inventory they're doing with everything else.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
Latest casualties:

That's a decent amount of tanks and a great number of artillery systems taken out. The Ukrainians have been focusing a lot on artillery for the past few months so seeing double digit systems out of action on the daily will help upcoming offensives.

Also they lost 13 UAVs lol, they really don't have a lot of those to be losing double digits in a day

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

The money is gone but we can always spend more.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

HonorableTB posted:

Latest casualties:

That's a decent amount of tanks and a great number of artillery systems taken out. The Ukrainians have been focusing a lot on artillery for the past few months so seeing double digit systems out of action on the daily will help upcoming offensives.

Also they lost 13 UAVs lol, they really don't have a lot of those to be losing double digits in a day

Putin: "How did we lose so many tanks in a day?"
Officer: "Well, they kind of drove into a ditch..."
Putin: "They did?"
Officer: "Well, replace 'kind of' with 'repeatedly', and the word 'ditch', with 'mine field'."

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
https://i.imgur.com/hQuYd2q.mp4

audio added

bad_fmr
Nov 28, 2007

:perfect:

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

:piss:

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

im fukn dying

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

snorted so loud I woke up my husband

frumpykvetchbot
Feb 20, 2004

PROGRESSIVE SCAN
Upset Trowel

Tree Bucket posted:

Outrageously irresponsible. Russia, the real victim here, will have no choice but to escalate.

https://twitter.com/wartranslated/status/1636490588961796097

you perfidious amerinazis just have no concept of superior russian morality.

dk2m
May 6, 2009

got em

tiaz
Jul 1, 2004

PICK UP THAT PRESENT.

Zelensky's Zealots

BrassRoots posted:

it doesn't matter if they know how the MIC works, that isn't the urge that's being satisfied by holding the position.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Helsingin Sanomat, a national Finnish newspaper, got the chance to interview the Editor-in-Chief of Dozhd ("TV Rain") a Russian opposition news channel, which was declared an enemy of the state around the start of the invasion and now operates out of Latvia (and will soon move to the Netherlands). A lot of the interview deals with the channel staff's experiences, but some of it is especially relevant.

Source: Helsingin Sanomat
Writer: Elina Saarilahti

Helsingin Sanomat posted:

In front of the apartment building a tall and lanky figure stands smoking. He is the Editor-in-Chief of Russian opposition channel Dozhd, Tikhon Dzyadko, who gestures us to follow him and then leads us up the stairs

The space looks like a normal apartment, but somehow an editorial staff of dozens has been crammed in.

On one wall a monitor is showing a live feed of an interview being conducted in the studio in another room. In the corner of the screen is Dozhd's logo, three pink diagonal lines.

Dozhd's broadcasting license in Latvia was revoked, but the channel isn't shutting down. Quite the opposite. Dzyadko believes that the work being conducted by independent Russian media is crucial to the whole world.

When Russia invaded Ukraine a year ago and tightened its censorship laws, the opposition channel Dozhd was among the first to go on the chopping block. Even before that the channel's work was made as difficult as possible by having it listed as a foreign media agent. Dozhd move to Georgia and Latvia, from where it continued its Internet broadcasts. Last summer the channel announced it had received a license to broadcast on all European cable networks.

Last fall Latvian officials started accusing the opposition channel of supporting Russian military actions. A journalist working for the channel from Georgia, Alexey Korostlev, had mentioned collecting equipment for Russian mobiks. In December the Latvian government revoked Dozhd's cable broadcasting license.

According to them, the channel "threatens national security and public order". Additionally there were several other violations listed, among them the lack of real time Latvian translation.

"I bet champagne bottles were popping in the Kremiln that day", Dzyadko comments the loss of their license laconically. "I think the only one who won in that situation was Putin."

And sure enough, Putin's press secretary Dmitri Peskov was soon crowing about how it's a foolish illusion to imagine that life is more free outside Russia.

Editor-in-Chief Dzyadko believes that the root cause of their loss of license were Korostlev's comments. He was fired immediately after making them.

"I have no idea what he was thinking, and I don't want to know", Dzyadko says, obviously frustrated. He stresses that the channel is not helping, and will not help the Russian armed forces neither on the frontlines, or anywhere else.

The channel is now trying to convince the Latvian government of returning their license. Dzyadko says that there's no reasonable ground for considering the channel any kind of threat after the journalist was fired. "If we are still considered a threat, they must let us understand why", he says.

He believes that the true causes for the decision are internal politics, including the country's sizeable Russian expat population. They have shown vocal support to Kremlin. He does not want to comment further on Latvian internal politics, however.

Dozhd's network broadcasts have not stopped at any point. The journalists are still allowed to work within Latvia. However their studio locations had to be moved, as were their headquarters. Around the change of the year Dozhd got a new European cable broadcasting license, this time from the Netherlands. The plan is that out of 40 staff, about 10-15 will remain in Riga. The rest will move in small groups to Amsterdam.

:siren: The especially important part :siren:
After Russia invaded, Europe had high hopes about Russian media being able to change things for the better very quickly, Dzyadko says. And then disappointment when that didn't happen.

"Russian media can have an inflience and change things", he stresses. "But it won't happen quickly, because Russians have been saturated with propaganda for 20 years. Things won't change in a month or even a year."

Dzyadko thinks the military support given to Ukraine and the support given to independent Russian media are parallel processes, which should not exclude the other. Russia has a lot of people who either don't know what is going on, or don't want to.

"When Ukraine wins the war, Russia and its people aren't going anywhere. They'll still be right next door. We have to have a conversation with these people and explain to them what is happening", he says.

"Ukrainian, European and American media can't find a common language with these people. We can, because we know how to talk with them."

The editor's own move to Amsterdam will still take a few months. "Some of our staff, myself included, have school-aged children, and we don't want to move again during the school year. First they had to go to school in Moscow, then Tbilsi and now here."

Dzyadko stresses that despite the problems, he is still thankful to Latvia for its help.

"We are working completely openly, and are not hiding anything. We are very grateful to Latvia for allowing us to come here, to work here, and for our children to go to school here", he says. "But as soon as things change in Russia, we will return there."

E: WHOOPS had a very serious error in there, fixed now.

Shaman Tank Spec fucked around with this message at 08:28 on Mar 17, 2023

zone
Dec 6, 2016

https://twitter.com/NOELreports/status/1636496412723519488
It appears something else is burning in Rostov.

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Eckot's comic relief cousin from out of town
Grimey Drawer

Not only are they not at war with America, they put American English on the thing?!? :dafuq:

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

zone posted:

It appears something else is burning in Rostov.

Someone just dropped their 300 foot cigarette. Perfectly normal.

zone
Dec 6, 2016

https://twitter.com/NOELreports/status/1636636960176340992
+240 trucks to strengthen the logistics chain.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars
Government of Slovakia approved donation of Slovak MiG-29s to Ukraine + KUB air defence system

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse
https://twitter.com/ChrisO_wiki/status/1636657074548404224

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

Helsingin Sanomat, a national Finnish newspaper, got the chance to interview the Editor-in-Chief of Dozhd ("TV Rain") a Russian opposition news channel, which was declared an enemy of the state around the start of the invasion and now operates out of Latvia (and will soon move to the Netherlands). A lot of the interview deals with the channel staff's experiences, but some of it is especially relevant.

Source: Helsingin Sanomat
Writer: Elina Saarilahti

E: WHOOPS had a very serious error in there, fixed now.

Not that I doubt their abilities, nor the fact that counter propaganda does seem to not do anything other than antagonize the championing of the R.A., but I would be curious as to know what language they feel I needed to communicate to the general Russian population.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

A couple of days ago the French-German public broadcaster Arte released a documentary on Dozhd:

https://youtu.be/Qz7-Gobl65E

I thought it was an interesting watch.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Samovar posted:

Not that I doubt their abilities, nor the fact that counter propaganda does seem to not do anything other than antagonize the championing of the R.A., but I would be curious as to know what language they feel I needed to communicate to the general Russian population.

I'm not them so I can't speak for them, but I would imagine that due to the 20 years of propaganda many Russians will view anything coming from foreign media with distrust, whereas a Russian media might be more credible in their eyes.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~

Samovar posted:

One where you understand what a metaphor is?

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Samovar posted:

Probably the same poo poo that works for de-programming in general. Not using a patronizing or judging voice(which western media is definitely guilty of), not being threatening and building trust by not attacking absurd and irrational beliefs directly. Instead point out logical inconsistencies and factual errors in explicit propaganda claims and do so in a non-judgemental way. The person has to understand by themselves that they are being intentionally manipulated and used for ulterior motives.

I think a TV channel is a decent approach here. Lots of older Russian émigrés here spent like 10h a day in front of the TV watching Russian state TV. Even if Dozdh was only doing entertainment programming it would still already help because it would get them out of the constant brainwashing loop for a couple of hours which gives them a chance to start thinking independently for a little while.

uncleTomOfFinland
May 25, 2008

They're bringing back the USSR.. in terms of aviation safety

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

GABA ghoul posted:

Probably the same poo poo that works for de-programming in general. Not using a patronizing or judging voice(which western media is definitely guilty of), not being threatening and building trust by not attacking absurd and irrational beliefs directly. Instead point out logical inconsistencies and factual errors in explicit propaganda claims and do so in a non-judgemental way. The person has to understand by themselves that they are being intentionally manipulated and used for ulterior motives.

I think a TV channel is a decent approach here. Lots of older Russian émigrés here spent like 10h a day in front of the TV watching Russian state TV. Even if Dozdh was only doing entertainment programming it would still already help because it would get them out of the constant brainwashing loop for a couple of hours which gives them a chance to start thinking independently for a little while.

Do the clockwork orange aversion therapy scene but use fox news to reprogram them.

zone
Dec 6, 2016

https://twitter.com/francis_scarr/status/1636436987748990998
A Russian propagandist tries to serve up some cold reality to the home audience by pointing out that expecting too much from China ain't gonna happen in the short to medium term at least.

https://twitter.com/wartranslated/status/1636666732948467718
Russian milblogger talks about the repulsed attack on Polohy and says that far from believing that Ukraine is tapped out, they collected what information they needed on the prevailing defenses, circumstances, etc. and chalked up what they actually need to conduct the upcoming offensive. Avdiivka and Mar'inka remain out of reach for Russian efforts in any case.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

If they went three years without an engine inspection, that's on them

Roblo
Dec 10, 2007

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!
Hahahaha the Guardian is reporting that Russia has given awards to the pilots that 'intercepted' the drone.

"Preventing the violation of the borders of the special operation area by the American MQ-9 Reaper drone".

Absolute clownshoes military.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Roblo posted:

Hahahaha the Guardian is reporting that Russia has given awards to the pilots that 'intercepted' the drone.

"Preventing the violation of the borders of the special operation area by the American MQ-9 Reaper drone".

Absolute clownshoes military.

I wonder how much irreparable/cannibal damage that guy did to that plane to win that medal to down a robot the USA overall didn't really give a poo poo about materially

zone
Dec 6, 2016

https://twitter.com/Maks_NAFO_FELLA/status/1636674306594807809
Amnesty International, any comment?

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

"Both sides...."

RDM
Apr 6, 2009

I LOVE FINLAND AND ESPECIALLY FINLAND'S MILITARY ALLIANCES, GOOGLE FINLAND WORLD WAR 2 FOR MORE INFORMATION SLAVA UKRANI
The civilians were safely transported to filtration camps and so that is no longer a residential area because there are no residents.

War crime averted.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Next week on HIMARS O'Clock - Mariupol edition.

zone
Dec 6, 2016

https://english.nv.ua/nation/ukrainian-armed-forces-destroy-two-radar-stations-air-defense-system-warehouse-50311342.html

quote:

Ukraine’s Defense Forces carried out several strikes on important positions of Russia’s occupying forces over the past 24 hours, Ukrainian military’s General Staff said in its morning summary on Facebook on March 17.

The Defense Forces’ aviation made seven strikes on areas where the occupiers were concentrated.

Ukrainian missiles and artillery struck five control points, five areas where enemy forces and military equipment were concentrated, a fuel and lubricants warehouse, two radar stations, an electronic warfare station, and an anti-aircraft missile complex in a firing position.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

I saw this video a week or so ago about where Russia's civil aviation is at these days and what they're doing to keep planes in the air.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xs3nja2LKIs&t=353s