Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Platystemon)

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Makes you wonder just how few morons it takes to make such a simple yet ridiculous mistake

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super Foul Egg
Oct 5, 2005
Don't take me for an ordinary man

dr_rat posted:

It's not at all surprising, but if you take away the jank VR stuff it's amazing how much of that 100% described down to pretty much every detail so many other lame and dying online communities. Which is sort of hilarious as with as many people who have been working on it, there must of been so many of them who were extremely aware of all those sort of dead communities and how the metaverse was just going full steam a head into becoming one.

There's a base audience of, for various reasons, disenfranchised people who forever wander the internet looking for somewhere they can live out their fantasy of just being an ordinary person. If you don't make your virtual world about anything, if you leave it without a firm aesthetic to scare them away, or fall into the trap of making an empty shell because 'we'll just let human creativity fill in the gaps!', there is a 100% chance these people will be the bread and butter of your virtual world before you can do anything about it.

I don't mean it in a particularly mocking sense, there's plenty of good reasons why people have a bad time on the outside and try to turn inward, but in terms of community these people are grey goo that will turn any space into an infinite hellmall of bootcut jeans and monuments to suburbia if you let them.

In Horizon's case, Zuck himself is one of these people, so it's no mystery it came out the gate pre-gooed.

Super Foul Egg has issued a correction as of 07:21 on Mar 17, 2023

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
Zuck should have just bought Star Citizen

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

we all know what horizon worlds is but it’s still entertaining to read about what a colossal failure it is

https://twitter.com/rahrahraina/status/1636130498815598592?s=46&t=uX8jBjukhUvHpmUHGvhmEw

Good read, very cyberpunk dystopia.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

we all know what horizon worlds is but it’s still entertaining to read about what a colossal failure it is

https://twitter.com/rahrahraina/status/1636130498815598592?s=46&t=uX8jBjukhUvHpmUHGvhmEw

this is good and p funny, don’t miss it

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007
enough about the forums though

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Kitfox88 posted:

Zuck should have just bought Star Citizen

Almost certainly would have been a sounder investment

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

A fun part of the metaverse saga was that back when people were still settling on what would happen, the sources in my orbit could be divided into two camps: crusty olds who still paid their secretaries to print their emails who went "my god, this is going to take over the world" and people who had been online for any length of time that went "this is crummy compared to stuff that came out decades ago."

Orbis Tertius
Feb 13, 2007

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

it’s good

quote:

Zuckerberg puts himself front and center in a lot of Meta’s marketing. His curious IRL appearance — of a human designed by a computer or of a Styrofoam cup that a wizard decided to turn into a person but then changed his mind about halfway through — adapts unexpectedly well to the Meta-cartoonization algorithm.

the underlying organization - metaverse as a sort of frame tale for the atomized American social experience, as experienced by a foreign observer - also definitely hits.

dude should write more articles in this mode. his bibliography reads like the output of every creative writing professor ever.

Orbis Tertius has issued a correction as of 09:24 on Mar 17, 2023

Stupid Boxes
Feb 9, 2004

good grief!

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

exceptionally dystopic

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
How did they spent 36 billion dollars making Second Life.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

dr_rat posted:

It's not at all surprising, but if you take away the jank VR stuff it's amazing how much of that 100% described down to pretty much every detail so many other lame and dying online communities. Which is sort of hilarious as with as many people who have been working on it, there must of been so many of them who were extremely aware of all those sort of dead communities and how the metaverse was just going full steam a head into becoming one.

Now me, I would never participate in a dead online community.

Persiflagist
Mar 7, 2013

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

I was thinking about it from the opposite angle. If we're just meat prediction engines that hack their way to something resembling consciousness or sapience, it means we will never have true AGI because we don't even meet the definition of GI. If we did it would treat us the way that we treat pets or Siri. The AGI would wonder if we actually love it or are just meat programmed to make it think we do.

you are correct but you are posting in c-spam do you think any of these people have ever used a language model or read a book about philosophy lol

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

porfiria posted:

I just imagine dozens of contractors walking out of FBHQ with giant cartoon sacks of money and disappearing to countries without extradition treaties.

Super Foul Egg
Oct 5, 2005
Don't take me for an ordinary man

porfiria posted:

Like NFTs, nobody has managed to describe a compelling use case or even definition of The Metaverse beyond the purely financial justification of 'we want to own everything and then skim off the top', so it's fools all the way down, and whatever reason you pick for their money being away from them, yes.

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

porfiria posted:

accounting bullshit. they transferred all their losses from all they other failed ideas into the thing that was unquestionably going to fall

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

porfiria posted:

that's less than twitter

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Alan Smithee posted:

that's less than twitter

Only if you pay to much for it.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

maybe I'm late but I just learned that square enix is doing an NFT thing that looks like dogshit, here's some stuff retweeted by their official account

these stunning NFTs that have improperly-aligned hats and hair clipping through

https://twitter.com/LGG_DAO/status/1628952878487416832

has whatever the gently caress this poo poo is

https://twitter.com/LGG_DAO/status/1633681007466672129

and is going to be played by people like this guy who I don't think is doing a bit

https://twitter.com/Onlydcharles1/status/1629053306503942144

this is so soul crushing and I'm just a bystander

edit: something something the level of creativity that is only found among finance and tech bros who are so devoid of an inner life that their imaginations are completely and utterly captured by a new type of money you can do on the internet

BattleMaster has issued a correction as of 14:12 on Mar 17, 2023

izagoof
Feb 14, 2004

Grimey Drawer
i don’t think they even promote horizon worlds at all from within the quest’s interface, my kids got one for xmas and i haven’t seen a single listing for it or prompt to install it. it makes you create the goofy legless avatar when you start it up but that’s it.

it really feels like they dumped a bunch of money into it then just abandoned it.

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN
Do they have a femboy hooters yet?

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

izagoof posted:

i don’t think they even promote horizon worlds at all from within the quest’s interface, my kids got one for xmas and i haven’t seen a single listing for it or prompt to install it. it makes you create the goofy legless avatar when you start it up but that’s it.

it really feels like they dumped a bunch of money into it then just abandoned it.

Zuck's only human trait rn is that he loves playing with new toys at Reality Labs, the metaverse's promise of capturing future profit exists solely to fund this hobby

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

One of the funniest aspects of this is that Zuck permanently renamed the company on his now failed idea, complete with stock ticker.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

One of the funniest aspects of this is that Zuck permanently renamed the company on his now failed idea, complete with stock ticker.

They were running commercials during some sports event I was watching the other day that were like:

"Oh? You thought the Metaverse was only in virtual reality? Think again!" and then it was firefighters with goggles that had, like, AR poo poo in.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BJAh2iF-8zk

A bunch of poo poo that absolutely does not work in real life yet and is probably like 10 years away.

"We're going to make the ship's computer from Star Trek real" basically.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

remember the BASF commercials

I still dont know what the gently caress they do

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

PostNouveau posted:

They were running commercials during some sports event I was watching the other day that were like:

"Oh? You thought the Metaverse was only in virtual reality? Think again!" and then it was firefighters with goggles that had, like, AR poo poo in.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BJAh2iF-8zk

A bunch of poo poo that absolutely does not work in real life yet and is probably like 10 years away.

"We're going to make the ship's computer from Star Trek real" basically.

These types of commercials baffle me. I guess it's misguided PR or something, but even if Meta helps firefighters with AR goggles I don't do the purchasing for my local fire department! It's like Lockhead Martin and BP tv commercials. Even if I was convinced, I'm not in the market for a fighter jet. I doubt they have to advertise at all, but if they do it'd be to congress and DC shitheads and there has to be a better way to do that than daytime tv commercials.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

1glitch0 posted:

These types of commercials baffle me. I guess it's misguided PR or something, but even if Meta helps firefighters with AR goggles I don't do the purchasing for my local fire department! It's like Lockhead Martin and BP tv commercials. Even if I was convinced, I'm not in the market for a fighter jet. I doubt they have to advertise at all, but if they do it'd be to congress and DC shitheads and there has to be a better way to do that than daytime tv commercials.

They're pivoting from Third Life to more traditional pie-in-the-sky tech bro promises that will never come to fruition. I doubt anyone involved even Zuck thinks they can make this happen anytime soon, but they can pretend to still but a cutting-edge tech company if they lie about the fantastical sci-fi tech in development.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
AR could be kind of cool. Imagine meeting someone in a bar and then your glasses pull up their posting hist--you know what nevermind

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
With how much of a massive public joke the metaverse is it does make sense to try and pivot however they can.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

dr_rat posted:

With how much of a massive public joke the metaverse is it does make sense to try and pivot however they can.

Yeah, it's what, $10 billion and jack poo poo to show for it? You may as well try to staunch the bleeding.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

*commercial plays*

"Meta: we have no legs"

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

where we're going, we won't need legs to walk

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Facebook Business Plan

Step 1. Lose $30 billion on Meta
Step 2. Make it 2011 again through science or magic

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

PostNouveau posted:

Facebook Business Plan

Step 3: ???
Step 4: don't profit

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

PostNouveau posted:

Facebook Business Plan

Facebook corporate has actually done Step 2. a few times now. Worst thing is this has been their best go through.

Turns out just because you can bend time to your will doesn't mean you're any good at business. :(

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,

Alan Smithee posted:

remember the BASF commercials

I still dont know what the gently caress they do

presumably they pump the environment full of toxic chemicals and poo poo

Leroy Diplowski
Aug 25, 2005

The Candyman Can :science:

Visit My Candy Shop

And SA Mart Thread

Woah, AI came up with a better way of naming months. This Maruary will go down in history as the month the singularity was reached.

Amphigory
Feb 6, 2005

That auto complete gently caress up predates any recent AI nonsense

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Leroy Diplowski posted:

Woah, AI came up with a better way of naming months. This Maruary will go down in history as the month the singularity was reached.

wait til AI forces us to adapt the tonal number system