Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Shodai?
Shodai
SHODAI
View Results

Nativity In Black
Oct 24, 2012

If you're gonna have roads, you're gonna have roadkill.

Brut posted:

Which promising tournaments?

I think there were a lot of folks (myself included) who thought he'd leveled up after that 10-5 run, but after the New Year and the start of this basho, that seems more like a fluke. Especially when newer newcomers like Hokuseiho and Kinbozan look much better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting
Day 6: this is a strange basho. Takayasu Yusho?

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Samuel L. Hacksaw posted:

Shodai.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Average Lettuce posted:

Day 6: drat, the guys who win against Takakeisho take huge stacks of sponsorship money home. Is that actually a lot of money?

It can be, those envelopes carry around $300 in them so depending on how many are there and for the top bouts it could be up to 40, with Hakuho it could be over 60, that's a decent chunk of change for their retirement.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 19 days!

Nativity In Black posted:

I think there were a lot of folks (myself included) who thought he'd leveled up after that 10-5 run, but after the New Year and the start of this basho, that seems more like a fluke. Especially when newer newcomers like Hokuseiho and Kinbozan look much better.

Yeah to be honest I do think there's still something to that, keep in mind he just turned 23 last month, for comparison Kotonowaka turned 25 in November and this is how he was doing 2 years ago:

and now he's in sanyaku, so I wouldn't actually give up on Oho.

Nativity In Black
Oct 24, 2012

Day 6:

Get it Kotoeko!

We'll see how things go in week two, but Kotoeko, Daiesho, and Takayasu are all looking real good.

WTK finally got a win!

Average Lettuce
Oct 22, 2012

bessantj posted:

It can be, those envelopes carry around $300 in them so depending on how many are there and for the top bouts it could be up to 40, with Hakuho it could be over 60, that's a decent chunk of change for their retirement.

I actually thought it would be more (considering rikishi have short careers, they have to accumulate a lot to have a comfortable life after retirement). Still, it must feel nice to get it.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Day 6: Keisho's lower body looks shot right now. He gave up a lot of ground to Mita without trying to pull, which almost never happens if he's healthy.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Samuel L. Hacksaw posted:

I want to believe but I’ve been hurt so many times…

Saturnine Aberrance
Sep 6, 2010

Creator.

Please make me flesh.

I really should have known Tamawashi would sandbag to ensure he can score more gold stars.

I like to try not to trade - but I'm putting in for a swap from Tamawashi to my #3 pick: Onosho.

My second choice has also been on an uncharacteristically poor streak. :/

MyChemicalImbalance
Sep 15, 2007

Keep on smilin'

:unsmith:

Saturnine Aberrance posted:

I really should have known Tamawashi would sandbag to ensure he can score more gold stars.

:hmmyes:

Big Tom sitting back rubbing his hands together thinking of some fresh Yoko meat next basho.

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

Takakeisho is now kyujo.

Not surprised; that knee is clearly giving him trouble and after losing to Mitakeiumi he clearly wasn't getting the rope. I think he made the right choice and I hope he comes back strong in May.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

ikazuchido is my new favorite jonidan

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Log082 posted:

Takakeisho is now kyujo.

Not surprised; that knee is clearly giving him trouble and after losing to Mitakeiumi he clearly wasn't getting the rope. I think he made the right choice and I hope he comes back strong in May.

I'm glad he's out, because I think continuing to lose damages his record and risks further and further damage to his knee to no benefit. Now at least he can rest, heal and hopefully be back in fighting trim to start the hunt anew.

I feel bad for him though. Not many people get to come that close to yokozuna in the first place and it's got to be a hard call to make.

Nativity In Black
Oct 24, 2012

What a wild basho. All ozeki and yokozuna out, and all of the sekiwake are underperforming. Komusubi are doing really well though. Weird considering it's normally a very hard rank, but it makes sense if the rest of the sanyaku is performing poorly.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
Takayasu's juiciness remains high

It is sad that there is only 1 knee between the only yokozuna and the only contender for yokozuna.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

How long has it been since we've had a basho with no ozeki and no yokozuna in play? My gut says you'd have to go back to WWII or so to find one, but I can't figure out how to query it on sumodb.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Average Lettuce posted:

I actually thought it would be more (considering rikishi have short careers, they have to accumulate a lot to have a comfortable life after retirement). Still, it must feel nice to get it.

That pay is more of a bonus. If you're in Makuuchi but outside San'yaku you're getting around $14,000 a month base pay. Then you have all the bonuses on top of that plus palling around with rich people from the supporters groups. There's a lot of money in the dohyo.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

https://www.nikkansports.com/battle/sumo/news/202303180000234.html
It's been announced that the reason is due to an injured left medial meniscus.

Knee injury. :(

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

I'd like to trade Ryuden for Onosho or Hoshoryu If I can squeak in a trade at the last minute.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Ice Phisherman posted:

I'd like to trade Ryuden for :siren:Onosho:siren: or Hoshoryu If I can squeak in a trade at the last minute.

Saturnine Aberrance posted:

I like to try not to trade - but I'm putting in for a swap from Tamawashi to my #3 pick: Onosho.

My second choice has also been on an uncharacteristically poor streak. :/

Trades registered Day 7. Also I'm ditching Tamawashi for Midorifuji, making this the first time I've done two non-kyujo trades in a basho in I can't say how long.

Day 5 standings

Makuuchi
code:
22	MyChemicalImbalance
22	NuclearPotato
20	Banana Canada
20	GoatSeeGuy
20	Iron Chef Nex
20	Marching Powder
19	Akiosan
19	anakha
19	Thauros
19	Tiny Bug Child
19	Vargatron
18	Everyones Favorite Poster
18	Ice Phisherman
18	LlamaTrauma
18	Mode 7
18	pseudodragon
18	Saturnine Aberrance
17	Jobbo_Fett
17	Teddybear
16	MalarkeyToboggan
16	ratmosphere
15	Khizan
15	Kuros
15	scripterror
14	bartolimu
14	Eli949
14	Fluffdaddy
14	Helianthus Annuus
14	Kenning
14	sivad
14	Tochiazuma
12	captainblastum
11	Netsky
11	Pakled
10	Liquid Communism
9	Crusty Nutsack
9	Flinger
8	Charles Gnarwin
8	Communist Thoughts
Juryo
code:
21	Beexoffel
20	Lid
20	PJ
19	Brut
19	Gaghskull
19	QuasiQuack
19	Robviously
18	bessantj
18	do it on my face
18	Fearless
18	ullerrm
17	rare Magic card l00k
17	riderchop
16	Average Lettuce
16	Single Tight Female
15	Elissimpark
15	Log082
14	Ben Nerevarine
14	Eldoop
14	Nativity In Black
14	whats for dinner
13	Dead Goon
13	ImplicitAssembler
13	oldskool
12	Chinook
12	Pvt. Public
12	Samuel L. Hacksaw
12	Xerzes
11	Bentai
10	Boogalo

Kenning fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Mar 19, 2023

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Good to see my traditional juryo caboose is not in danger. poo poo.

MalarkeyToboggan
Jan 4, 2015

Average Lettuce posted:

This is on top of their monthly salary of about $10k. And it accumulates pretty quickly. Let's say you go 8-7 for a full year and every win has an average of five envelopes. That's $72,000 extra per year just on sponsorship envelopes.

Not a bad way to earn some extra cash.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

MalarkeyToboggan posted:

This is on top of their monthly salary of about $10k. And it accumulates pretty quickly. Let's say you go 8-7 for a full year and every win has an average of five envelopes. That's $72,000 extra per year just on sponsorship envelopes.

Not a bad way to earn some extra cash.

The envelopes are only half of the payout for a win too, as I understand it there is a matching deposit into a bank account for the rikishi's eventual retirement as well.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

With everybody sharing a kyujo Takakeisho, we might have a new record for the lowest scoring fantasy winner lol

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

Lexorin posted:

Those are the Brown Coats, they watch sumo for the love of the sport and not for any one Rikishi. Here is some more info I stole from reddit:

They are part of the organization Osaka Touzai-kai (大阪東西会) http://www.touzaikai.org/ It is sort of a club that takes a bunch of money to join and you support the continued existence of the basho like NPR or PBS. In return you get good seats and probably better behind the scenes access. [And wear the sweet brown happi (ハッピ)] I believe the minimum is around $15k per year but I bet some are spending more. This is called a Tamari-kai, which is a little bit different than a Kouen-kai, which is a club that supports individual wrestlers or heya. Kouen-kai minimums are much cheaper.

To add a bit to this regards their seating positions, the name translates (roughly) as East-West Society, which is why they only sit behind the rikishi on the east and west sides of the dohyo.

MalarkeyToboggan
Jan 4, 2015

I think we might get some questionable Ozeki promotions in the near future. A basho with no Yokozuna or Ozeki has to be real scary for the JSA

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Serious vote: Wakamotoharu or Kotonowaka have good Ozeki chances.

Chaos vote: they're forced to repromote SHODAI and he just won't leave again.

Iron Chef Nex
Jan 20, 2005
Serving up a hot buttered stabbing
Well, after doing really well in the first 1/3, IronChef Heya is falling off in the second. At least got to see some successful bowling for Shimpan today :)

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 19 days!

Lid posted:

The real chaos is they're forced to repromote SHODAI and he'll drop the rank then go on another ozeki run.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Or they try to promote Shodai and he says no, thank you.

Nativity In Black
Oct 24, 2012

Lid posted:

Serious vote: Wakamotoharu or Kotonowaka have good Ozeki chances.

Yeah the wild part of this is that WTK and Hoshoryu would normally be the rikishi that people would put in this conversation, but they're both having pretty bad tournaments. Would be eternally frustrating for WTK if he get's his first MK in 6 tournaments at sanyaku, but gets to keep his rank because the komusubi got catapulted to ozeki. (Same for Hoshoryu really, though he spent a couple of those tournaments komusubi, WTK was sekiwake the whole time.)

Edit: I also don't think we're at panic promotion time yet. If Teru is back in May, they may be content to let it ride, even if Keisho is out.

Nativity In Black fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Mar 18, 2023

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

Oh, the network slogan is true -- "watch FOX and be damned for all eternity!"

Kenning posted:

Trades registered Day 7. Also I'm ditching Tamawashi for Midorifuji, making this the first time I've done two non-kyujo trades in a basho in I can't say how long.

Hey Kenning — did my day 6 trade make it in?

ullerrm posted:

I love his style, but Sadanoumi is just making me sad this week.

Trade request: Exchange Sadanoumi for Takayasu, Nishikifuji, or Endo.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 19 days!
I wonder if Hokutofuji was just sick or something the first 4 days, he really didn't seem like himself at all, but then starting day 5 it's good ol' Hokutofuji again (though day 6 was unclear given his opponent messed up bad enough that we didn't get to see Hokutofuji doing anything)

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Oh look, the consequences of my prior actions are finally catching up to me.
Gonna just bite the bullet and not trade. What will happen since the only Y/O is now out?

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

Bentai posted:

https://www.nikkansports.com/battle/sumo/news/202303180000234.html
It's been announced that the reason is due to an injured left medial meniscus.

Knee injury. :(

That’s actually not a terrible knee injury to have (I’ve had two). Recovery is around six weeks, so if he has the surgery absolutely right loving now then he could be within fighting shape by the next basho

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Kuros posted:

Gonna just bite the bullet and not trade. What will happen since the only Y/O is now out?

we all lose a bunch of points

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 19 days!

dupersaurus posted:

That’s actually not a terrible knee injury to have (I’ve had two). Recovery is around six weeks, so if he has the surgery absolutely right loving now then he could be within fighting shape by the next basho

He's probably not gonna have surgery at all, cuz they almost never do.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 19 days!

Kuros posted:

rare Magic card l00k posted:

we all lose a bunch of points

Technically yes, but also it doesn't matter because Terunofuji was out to begin with so all of us had Takakeisho, so effectively this won't affect the standings at all, just the adjustment of total score at the end for everyone.

edit: lol sorry I'm in GDT posting mode cuz of the MMA card, didn't mean to double post like this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MyChemicalImbalance
Sep 15, 2007

Keep on smilin'

:unsmith:
Day 7: Midorifuji :eyepop: