Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan

Harold Fjord posted:

Tricky because you don't want to go off half cocked but fascists are never good faith in their insistence that everyone else has to perfectly follow the rules
yeah but like it's not half cocked. one tenth of the evidence alone would get any one of us life in prison and that's just the stuff we've seen live and trump has admitted to. if you or i went on national television and said "yeah, i broke a few laws..." there'd be police cars parked inside our collective asses in minutes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
https://edition.cnn.com/2023/03/16/politics/mar-a-lago-trump-subpoenas

I hope someone records the staff meeting there tonight/tomorrow where they are all told to lie about whatever they are asked.
And i'm betting so many of them hate his guts for they way they've been treated.
But they likely have all been made to sign waivers if they say anything bad about him.

EXCLUSIVE: Dozens of Mar-a-Lago staff, from servers to aides, are subpoenaed in classified documents probe

"At least two dozen people – from Mar-a-Lago resort staff to members of Donald Trump’s inner circle at the Florida estate – have been subpoenaed to testify to a federal grand jury that’s investigating the former president’s handling of classified documents"

OgNar fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Mar 17, 2023

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

The last couple of days have had a few leaks which seem to be coming from the grand jury so this seems like it’s culminating.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

InsertPotPun posted:

yeah but like it's not half cocked. one tenth of the evidence alone would get any one of us life in prison and that's just the stuff we've seen live and trump has admitted to. if you or i went on national television and said "yeah, i broke a few laws..." there'd be police cars parked inside our collective asses in minutes.

The thing is, it’s not just Trump. Dozens of others have quite clearly committed multiple felonies and they are still wandering around grifting and further making GBS threads up the country.

Why are we sitting on those cases?

Edit: DoJ told the DC courts to expect a higher rate of indictments over the next few months. Sure, it seems to be about the other 1000 or so Jan 6 insurrectionists who fought with cops or entered the capitol but I can hope that maybe they also are prepping for people closer to Trump or or the false electors.

Murgos fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Mar 17, 2023

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

OgNar posted:

https://edition.cnn.com/2023/03/16/politics/mar-a-lago-trump-subpoenas

I hope someone records the staff meeting there tonight/tomorrow where they are all told to lie about whatever they are asked.
And i'm betting so many of them hate his guts for they way they've been treated.
But they likely have all been made to sign waivers if they say anything bad about him.

EXCLUSIVE: Dozens of Mar-a-Lago staff, from servers to aides, are subpoenaed in classified documents probe

"At least two dozen people – from Mar-a-Lago resort staff to members of Donald Trump’s inner circle at the Florida estate – have been subpoenaed to testify to a federal grand jury that’s investigating the former president’s handling of classified documents"

I mean other than the obvious it really sounds like they're trying to get a clear picture of who was constantly milling about when those documents were also floating around. Also probably to poke holes in the idea that they were secured in some way amongst a million other lies that could probably be shot down pretty quickly with eyewitness testimony from several dozen people.

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans
This is probably a dumb question but if subpoenaed testimony butts heads with a nondisclosure agreement what happens?

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

ihop posted:

This is probably a dumb question but if subpoenaed testimony butts heads with a nondisclosure agreement what happens?

I don't know a lot of lawyer-y stuff. What I have been seeing is that NDAs have been pretty routinely told to piss up a rope even just on first amendment grounds of "screw you I want to say that anyway". If there's a subpoena in the mix I can't see them having a hope of preventing testimony.

Unless you're a fascist bad faith actor looking for any piss poor rhetorical shield to hide behind. In which case our entire system seems to kind of grind to a halt and start sputtering things about dogs playing basketball.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

ihop posted:

a subpoena is coming from a court, that court is going to tell any NDA to go eat poo poo right quick, there are very VERY few exceptions to testifying, primarily 5th amendment reasons and maybe national security stuff but any natsec is going to be hashed out by government lawyers anyway. Regardless the court can just simply grant immunity for the testimony so even if the NDA would be otherwise valid a judge can literally make it so that the subpoenaed testimony doesn't count for the NDA.

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009
could be wrong but NDAs seem to be a threat that a company or wealthy person will force you to spend all your time and money fighting the NDA rather than actual legal consequences resulting from violating it. Unless you default, I guess.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

ihop posted:

Pretty sure most NDAs have a clause that renders them moot when the signer has to testify under oath in a court of law.

quote:

Most NDAs include provisions that eliminate confidentiality obligations in case one of the parties is subject to the order of a court. Regardless, a court may order a witness to testify irrespective of any NDA. Therefore, if you are compelled to testify, you must do so unless an exception applies (e.g., self-incrimination) or a legally defined privilege (e.g., married couples, attorney and clients, doctors and patients, etc.). However, there is no privilege for corporate secrets.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

ihop posted:

Surprised we haven't seen Trump argue this yet in court. I seem to recall him requiring NDAs from White House Staff while he was president.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Trump attorney ordered to testify before grand jury investigating former president

quote:

A federal judge has ordered Donald Trump attorney Evan Corcoran to provide additional testimony as part of an investigation into the former president’s handling of classified documents, a source familiar with the matter told CNN.

The judge said in an order that Justice Department prosecutors have met the threshold for the crime-fraud exception for Corcoran, the source said.

:munch:

The next few weeks are looking to be quite cathartic.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

My attorneys(multiple) got attorneys (multiple)

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

cr0y posted:

My attorneys(multiple) got attorneys (multiple)

The attorney centipede has to be at least 2 levels long this point, right? Incredible.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

MSNBC had a ticker about 30 minutes ago that multiple police agencies are told to prepare for an indictment as early as next week.

https://www.msnbc.com/chris-jansing-reports/watch/law-enforcement-preparing-for-possible-trump-indictment-as-early-as-next-week-165521477922

Zotix fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Mar 17, 2023

gregday
May 23, 2003

https://twitter.com/Acyn/status/1636811704049827842?s=20

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

That's a loving big deal.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Zotix posted:

MSNBC had a ticker about 30 minutes ago that multiple police agencies are told to prepare for an indictment as early as next week.

https://www.msnbc.com/chris-jansing-reports/watch/law-enforcement-preparing-for-possible-trump-indictment-as-early-as-next-week-165521477922
Here's the article:

quote:

NYC Security Preps Underway for Possible Trump Indictment as Soon as Next Week: Sources
Law enforcement agencies are conducting preliminary security assessments
By Jonathan Dienst and Sarah Fitzpatrick • Published 2 hours ago • Updated 1 hour ago

Local, state and federal law enforcement and security agencies are preparing for the possibility that former President Donald Trump will be indicted as early as next week, according to five senior officials familiar with the preparations.

Law enforcement agencies are conducting preliminary security assessments, the officials said, and are discussing potential security plans in and around the Manhattan Criminal Court, at 100 Centre Street, in case Trump is charged in connection with an alleged hush money payment to Stormy Daniels and travels to New York to face any charges.

The officials stress that the interagency conversations and planning are precautionary in nature because no charges have been filed.

The agencies involved include the NYPD, New York State Court Officers, the U.S. Secret Service, the FBI’s Joint Terrorism Task Force, and the Manhattan District Attorney’s Office, the officials said.

NBC News has reached out to all of those agencies for comment, and all have declined to comment.

Michael Cohen, Trump’s former lawyer, pleaded guilty in 2018 to a federal charge relating to a $130,000 payment to Daniels, an adult film star, in the closing days of the 2016 campaign. Daniels has said the money was to keep her quiet about her claim that she’d slept with the married Trump in 2006, an allegation Trump denies.

Cohen has said that Trump ordered him to pay the hush money and that it was for the “principal purpose of influencing” the 2016 presidential election.

Cohen was later repaid the money he’d shelled out to Daniels through payments that were listed by Trump’s company as “legal fees.”

Manhattan District Attorney Alvin Bragg is investigating Trump for felony falsification of business records. Cohen testified before the grand jury hearing evidence in the case for a second time Wednesday.

Harold Fjord posted:

That's a loving big deal.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

This is the weakest of the ongoing investigations and I have some (admittedly tinfoil hat wearing) concern that it's being set up as a spoiler.

Bragg appears to have RUSHED to this indictment for what appears to be a long out of statute of limitations crime implying that he's got to be either trying something legally novel to extend the time limit or this is some new but previously undiscovered crime that relates to the original crime or its mostly nonsense.

Bragg could have played hardball with Trumps CFO and put him in jail for a decade but instead gave him a sweetheart deal for a few months and kind of let it all go. Bragg also closed down the bigger RICO oriented investigation as soon as he took office, against the strong opinions of the prosecutors. So, why should I believe that Bragg is serious now?

My concern is that this weak case is being brought forward so quickly that its just to get ahead of the Georgia case and distract and confuse the issue by people friendly to Trump to further the 'witch hunt' narrative. Or, slightly less tin-foil but more plausible that Bragg is rushing this forward now to get the headlines ahead of the more serious case in GA even though the case will end up being an easy walk for Trump and his propaganda arm.

edit: A bad indictment and a weak case the Trump can use to further his persecution narrative is bad. Very bad.

Murgos fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Mar 17, 2023

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Murgos posted:

This is the weakest of the ongoing investigations and I have some (admittedly tinfoil hat wearing) concern that it's being set up as a spoiler.

Bragg appears to have RUSHED to this indictment for what appears to be a long out of statute of limitations crime implying that he's got to be either trying something legally novel to extend the time limit or this is some new but previously undiscovered crime that relates to the original crime or its mostly nonsense.

Bragg could have played hardball with Trumps CFO and put him in jail for a decade but instead gave him a sweetheart deal for a few months and kind of let it all go. Bragg also closed down the bigger RICO oriented investigation as soon as he took office, against the strong opinions of the prosecutors. So, why should I believe that Bragg is serious now?

My concern is that this weak case is being brought forward so quickly that its just to get ahead of the Georgia case and distract and confuse the issue by people friendly to Trump to further the 'witch hunt' narrative. Or, slightly less tin-foil but more plausible that Bragg is rushing this forward now to get the headlines ahead of the more serious case in GA even though the case will end up being an easy walk for Trump and his propaganda arm.

edit: A bad indictment and a weak case the Trump can use to further his persecution narrative is bad. Very bad.

I think you’re ignoring the more parsimonious possibility that Bragg is just a shitheel who wants in on the upcoming indictment party and he’s bad at his job so it’s a rushed mess.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

MSNBC also reporting that Trump's attorney says that if he's indicted that he will surrender.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Zotix posted:

MSNBC also reporting that Trump's attorney says that if he's indicted that he will surrender.

But what about his client? :v:

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

You can say "they're all operating independently and not coordinating" but I do not believe that at all.

Captain Melo
Mar 28, 2014

Zotix posted:

Where are you seeing this?

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

mdemone posted:

You can say "they're all operating independently and not coordinating" but I do not believe that at all.

Has anyone actually said that they are?

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

Captain Melo posted:

Where are you seeing this?

The end of the 5:55pm hour on MSNBC channel on TV.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

Randalor posted:

But what about his client? :v:

:golfclap:

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Xiahou Dun posted:

Has anyone actually said that they are?

No, but the experts seem to agree that it would not be kosher, or in anyone's benefit.

I can't see how that could be true. Fani Willis absolutely knows more about the Jack Smith schedule than we do, for example.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

mdemone posted:

No, but the experts seem to agree that it would not be kosher, or in anyone's benefit.

I can't see how that could be true. Fani Willis absolutely knows more about the Jack Smith schedule than we do, for example.

Are you talking about “co-ordinating” as in being in communication and offering assistance where applicable or do you mean like a conspiracy? Because I think the former is pretty trivially true and the latter is out there nonsense.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Xiahou Dun posted:

Are you talking about “co-ordinating” as in being in communication and offering assistance where applicable or do you mean like a conspiracy? Because I think the former is pretty trivially true and the latter is out there nonsense.

No I just mean scheduling. Like "hey are you doing anything about it next week? Should we slow-play?"

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

mdemone posted:

No I just mean scheduling. Like "hey are you doing anything about it next week? Should we slow-play?"

Then just guessing, but it’s possible the experts you’re hearing are similar to me. Basic scheduling doesn’t rise to my personal level where I’d call it “co-ordination” ; these are all decently high-up people in large prosecutorial roles so maybe they’re not friends or whatever but I guarantee they know people who know the other people and there’d be generalized lateral communication of some kind.

But what the hell do I know, I’m basically just imagining how people inside a larger occupation communicate with each other and guessing.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Xiahou Dun posted:

Then just guessing, but it’s possible the experts you’re hearing are similar to me. Basic scheduling doesn’t rise to my personal level where I’d call it “co-ordination” ; these are all decently high-up people in large prosecutorial roles so maybe they’re not friends or whatever but I guarantee they know people who know the other people and there’d be generalized lateral communication of some kind.

But what the hell do I know, I’m basically just imagining how people inside a larger occupation communicate with each other and guessing.

So you'd imagine that Merrick Garland's office has at least had some communication with the Georgia and Manhattan investigations? Because that seems only natural to me, but people are going to get mad about it.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

mdemone posted:

So you'd imagine that Merrick Garland's office has at least had some communication with the Georgia and Manhattan investigations? Because that seems only natural to me, but people are going to get mad about it.

Yes but those people would get mad about anything, so gently caress 'em.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

mdemone posted:

Do I think that Merrick Garland has a big group chat text thread labelled “TrumpBustBros”? Almost definitely not. But I bet you that there’s enough overlap in personnel that some people know each other from conferences/trainings/prior work/looking for work/going to school/etc. and word generally gets around long before it’s in the news. Maybe not even directly, but through small organic hops, because there’s just not that many people at those levels.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Zotix posted:

Trump has never been honest with his attorneys in his life. No one knows what trumps going to do when the balloon goes up. Not even Trump.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

I don't think the various agencies are coordinating in a "hey let's be sleezy and work together to do shady poo poo" kind of way but I'm sure they keep in enough contact as to not totally derail one another via what could be considered a big move, ie execute a search warrant or indict someone. I'm sure they try to be isolated and do what they can to avoid stepping on each other's toes.

It's none of the agency's fault that Trump and his moron associates do so many crimes that multiple federal and state agencies have to get in line rather than try to plow through the door all at once.

This but prosecutors

E: thinking about it more it might be that Trump thinks that this is actually the defense, something something double jeopardy something something

cr0y fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Mar 18, 2023

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

All caps except for "Page 2:" is kinda funny.

Trumpy seems to believe his date with intake is next Tuesday. That might make sense if it's true the GJ sits Mondays and Wednesdays. I suppose Monday would be the vote to indict, then who knows if that really results in Trump turning himself in on Tuesday (if at all).

Thanks to the all caps rant and Trump's track record of just blurting everything out, I'm enjoying this regardless.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Has Trump ever mentioned Soros by name before? Feels like he is just falling down the same bullshit conspiracy crap he used to peddle.
I always felt Trump would say anything to appease his base because his narcissism needs their love so much but he was never a true believer himself, but mentioning Soros by name feels like a turn.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

I'm starting to believe this now, if they were going to nail him they would absolutely inform his attorneys first. The fact that he is flat out calling for his morons to do violence is not really surprising.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Madkal posted:

Has Trump ever mentioned Soros by name before? Feels like he is just falling down the same bullshit conspiracy crap he used to peddle.
I always felt Trump would say anything to appease his base because his narcissism needs their love so much but he was never a true believer himself, but mentioning Soros by name feels like a turn.

Invoking SOROS is like busting out a Magic the Gathering card you've been sitting on for a while.