Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

Gwaihir posted:

My suggestion with all the big mega mods is to play with the most generous possible salvage/money rewards, since the tactical game is so amped up vs the strategic portion compared to vanilla. Max generosity in the money department will let you enjoy all the new toys without feeling too frustrated, because the difficulty in all the mods is generally much higher than vanilla.

I am a BTA3062 fan myself personally, just because it's my favorite era of the game tech wise.

I just assembled a full c3 lance and it is glorious. my spotters are a Royal Griffon and a Thor. ain't no one catching them. I love civil war tech

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warad
Aug 10, 2019

BEX: Simple but more immersive. Vanilla gameplay but the everything else is more geared to making you "FEEL" like you're a poor Merc trying to make a living during 3025 up to the Clan Invasion. No major overhauls for your Mechs, fancy LosTech and Mechs very few and far between, factions and mercenaries stick to where they actually were in the sourcebooks, and more focus on handling your company in comparison to the other two depending on your difficulty settings. But honestly the most smoothest experience out of all of them overall.

BTA: Not as simple and can get a bit wacky with some of the content that's not even the even wackier optional community content, but even the more outlandish things fits the overall free-for-all madhouse of the Civil War era anyway I think. If you want to worry less about paying the bills and more about literally nuking Clanners with Arrow IVs and turning a Lumberjack IndustrialMech into a murderbot that can chainsaw the heart out of an Atlas, then it might be the most "fun" mod for you

RT: If you want to see the poor unity engine meltdown the moment you turn the game on from the sheer amount of stuff packed into it. The most loyal to the TT experience so if you want the absolute purist way to play with literally anything you can think of to play with there, then RT's your thing.

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer
Is there a recommended starting year? I'm a newbie when it comes to the LORE.

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

JosefStalinator posted:

3025 is when the base game takes place. basic tech
3028 is helm memory core. slightly more advanced tech
3049 is just before clan invasion. very advanced tech

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer
Thank you for all the advice friends, I will try not to get brutally owned by the difficulty curve/my own incompetence.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Warad posted:

The most loyal to the TT experience so if you want the absolute purist way to play with literally anything you can think of to play with there, then RT's your thing.

This is absolutely untrue.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

JosefStalinator posted:

Thank you! That's exactly what I was looking for, forgive me if it was somewhere near the OP and I just missed it :). I'll read up on each one now.

If you want something less restrictive or heavy on the nerfs and don't care about lore, expanded arsenal also exists and has near as much content. But it also has clan mechs running around in Taurian lances in 3025 so, you know, not everyone's cup of tea.

Warad
Aug 10, 2019

PoptartsNinja posted:

This is absolutely untrue.

If you only count everything "strictly" gameplay related that's working under the hood it actually is, at least a little bit further than BTA does.

But yeah once you pile the literally EVERYTHING else RT does, it gets lost in the mess really easily, true.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

JosefStalinator posted:

I did a 3025 starting run once in BEX, and let me tell you in game speed it is a looooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooong time before technology advances.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
My time in MW5 went by very quickly. I think Mason was like 60 by the time he avenges his father.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
I just want RTs map but for base game.

That is all.

Like the old canceled mechwarrior game from 2000, I want a map where I earn points compared to other people and make borders move

but without everything that makes RT bad and slow

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
I want Paradox to bite the bullet and buy the Mechwarrior license from Microsoft, so we can get a Crusader Kings-esque game with all the space border gore that implies.

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

JosefStalinator posted:

Thank you for all the advice friends, I will try not to get brutally owned by the difficulty curve/my own incompetence.

Just get Bulwark on all your pilots and glue yourself to cover. It'll work out.

Malek Deneith
Jun 1, 2011

Warad posted:

BTA: (...) If you want to worry less about paying the bills and more about literally nuking Clanners with Arrow IVs and turning a Lumberjack IndustrialMech into a murderbot that can chainsaw the heart out of an Atlas, then it might be the most "fun" mod for you
Agree with most of the descriptions but this particular bit runs exactly opposite of my experience. Near as I can remember my attempt at playing BEX stabilised financially shockingly fast, meanwhile BTA had me living on the edge of bankruptcy for extended time. Even now that I'm more stable I fond myself ping-ponging "I saved 5-6 mil, maybe I'll get that last mech drop slot upgrade finally" and "welp, blew it all on uncommon parts at store, now how to scrounge up 2.3 mil to refit my new Marauder."

And that's ignoring I rolled back latest patch after seeing it'd add ~200k to Argo's monthly upkeep. I know that's more realistic but it feels like it'll make early game hell.

Malek Deneith fucked around with this message at 12:56 on Mar 15, 2023

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

PoptartsNinja posted:

I want Paradox to bite the bullet and buy the Mechwarrior license from Microsoft, so we can get a Crusader Kings-esque game with all the space border gore that implies.

CRD-3R Kings

Warad
Aug 10, 2019

Malek Deneith posted:

Agree with most of the descriptions but this particular bit runs exactly opposite of my experience. Near as I can remember my attempt at playing BEX stabilised financially shockingly fast, meanwhile BTA had me living on the edge of bankruptcy for extended time. Even now that I'm more stable I fond myself ping-ponging "I saved 5-6 mil, maybe I'll get that last mech drop slot upgrade finally" and "welp, blew it all on uncommon parts at store, now how to scrounge up 2.3 mil to refit my new Marauder."

And that's ignoring I rolled back latest patch after seeing it'd add ~200k to Argo's monthly upkeep. I know that's more realistic but it feels like it'll make early game hell.

Oh, well I knew the patch last week messed around with the economy a bit but I didn't think that much, I only remember BTA getting a bit rough near the end when you have all your extra bays and drop capabilities unlocked, as for BTA, I suppose it only really gets tough if you're dealing on Sim difficulty and trying to handle drop costs and etc, (and with extended lances on top of it so trying to squeeze a profit out of a mission trying to pay for a heavy 8 mech drop is where most my experience comes from.)

E: But really, any mod's economy is based solely on what your mech parts required for assembly setting is set on, because it's really easy to make everything trivial when you can spit out a Phoenix Hawk to sell every other mission.

Warad fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Mar 15, 2023

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
This is once again why I play with the most generous possible economy settings, because the mega mods are far more enjoyable to me from the pov of collecting the most cool collection of units and building the lances I like playing with than they are from the pov of trying to scrape together enough credits to buy one extra gauss rifle.

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe
I play on pretty much all settings on at least normal. the other gating in mega mods is pilot progression

I haven't had any real money problems except early on when I left WoB core for the periphery. but you should be able to take on lower contracts for max money and just not run your ultra high tech stuff. even mid-late game I keep around some mediums and lights to gently caress around with. you can create some wild poo poo once you get a couple xl engines

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here
Starting in or near Clan space gives you the opportunity to get high-dollar salvage, but you might go through a ton of pilots. Clan mechs have a penalty on physical attacks so get in close and start kicking.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
I just picked up MW5 cause it and all the DLCs are on sale. Any DLCs worth picking up?

pork never goes bad
May 16, 2008

Popete posted:

I just picked up MW5 cause it and all the DLCs are on sale. Any DLCs worth picking up?

I just finished the Rise of Rasalhague campaign and it's pretty sweet. Honestly all the DLCs are pretty good, but if you had to pick them here's a super quick summary of what they add.

Heroes of the Inner Sphere adds a buncha hero mechs that you can get through deterministic short questlines and some new base mechs including the Marauder 2 (yesss). Adds a "cantina" system by which you can get extra rewards and customize mechs more deeply. Also adds chem lasers (kinda dull), rifles (kinda cool?), and some ECM type poo poo. If you only buy one, this is a contender.
Legends of the Kestrel Lancers - a small but excellent campaign that locks you in to a contract for a specific period of time with one employer, doing mission after mission for them in a legit scripted campaign that goes through some major moments in Battletech History, and some good mission variants that help with variety.
Call to Arms adds melee. I find it pretty disappointing.
Rise of Rasalhague is like Kestrel Lancers - a scripted campaign that goes through a major moment in Battletech history. It also adds the Crusader mech, a bounty hunter system that lets rival or allied mercs drop in on your missions sometimes and has a reward progression, and infiltration missions that give a use for lights and mediums in lategame missions. After Heroes, I think this would be my next buy, but LotKL might edge it out, idk.

They're all good if you like Mechwarrior imo, but it's definitely good to get them on sale.

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

I mostly found Call to Arms to be disappointing, because melee doesn't really feel good. This is compounded by the fact that only specific variants can equip melee weapons, and most of those variants are loving garbage, as is tradition for this franchise. However, the other DLC is all good, and I figure you may as well take the "in for a penny, in for a pound" approach and get the Has Everything Edition.

As for chemical lasers, while I agree that Small and Medium are disappointing, I think Large Chemical Lasers are really good. You need to supply ammunition, but it's 62 shots per ton, and in exchange you're getting a third of the heat. I think they're fantastic for lighter mechs with big energy hardpoints that don't really have the cooling to go hard with them.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Popete posted:

I liked the Kestral lancers campaign. It was a really good campaign with actual designed maps and missions. A small microcosm of a good game that doesn't exist.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
I was impatient and picked up Heroes of the Inner Sphere because a quick search seemed to indicate that was an almost "required" DLC for the main campaign. Appreciate the info, I suppose I should actually play the game first to make sure I like it.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe
I didn’t realize the cantina poo poo was from the DLC, I’ve been running around trying to get all the rewards so I can fully pimp out my ultimate endgame assault mech, and as a consequence Mason is going to die of old age before he avenges his father.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

Popete posted:

I was impatient and picked up Heroes of the Inner Sphere because a quick search seemed to indicate that was an almost "required" DLC for the main campaign. Appreciate the info, I suppose I should actually play the game first to make sure I like it.
IIRC Heroes is what unlocks career mode which is why people always say to get it.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
Oh whoops, I finished the campaign without any DLC, should I abandon my Atlas Lance and start anew?

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

tactlessbastard posted:

I didn’t realize the cantina poo poo was from the DLC, I’ve been running around trying to get all the rewards so I can fully pimp out my ultimate endgame assault mech, and as a consequence Mason is going to die of old age before he avenges his father.

I've never put up with a campaign for 70 years, but do they actually model age or can a 400 year old Mason finally take his walker to see what those miners were whining about?

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Azhais posted:

I've never put up with a campaign for 70 years, but do they actually model age or can a 400 year old Mason finally take his walker to see what those miners were whining about?

It’s been 60 years and his avatar hasn’t changed and they don’t mention anything about the times it takes me three months between two missions that are supposed to be back to back, so I guess Mason is immortal.

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

His dad was a wobbie anyway so gently caress him

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Stravag posted:

His dad was a wobbie anyway so gently caress him

I thought he was a clanner, and Word of Blake didn't exist yet?

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

I thought he was a comstar agent? And i had thought the wobbies were a longtime comstar faction that only went on the warpath after the clan invasion? Either way the viewpoint character sucked and i think i got like 50% of the way through the campaign before deciding the procgen missions were more interesting, and then stopped playing entirely when the rasalhague expansion hit and broke all my mods

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

I haven't finished the campaign because all mods broke and I didn't backup my save, but I think he was a clan infiltrator?

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!

Kesper North posted:

I thought he was a clanner, and Word of Blake didn't exist yet?

It's this, btw.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

Yeah he's a clanner scout. Comstar is involved because they want everyone who knows dead.

Don't play the campaign.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

In my bta career I’ve recently picked up a huron warrior and a chameleon; i outfitted the latter with an improved binary laser and a precision master pilot

Hoo boy these things are glass cannons but boy are they fun, the chameleon in particular makes mincemeat out of these light XL engine mechs

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

Psycho Landlord posted:

Yeah he's a clanner scout. Comstar is involved because they want everyone who knows dead.

Don't play the campaign.

I will go against "don't play the campaign" not because I think the writing is good, but because it gives you some neat free stuff. Including a Nightstar, and I'm not sure you can get it any other way. Some of the achievements are basically "play the campaign story," if you give a poo poo about those.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I'm in campaign mode just because I can do the dlc stuff anyway if I want to

Rasalhague's going to take a while lol

Dalaram
Jun 6, 2002

Marshall/Kirtaner 8/24 nevar forget! (omg pedo)
Also, the campaign seems to be a completely optional path to just running a career. If you want to do the first mission or two then abscond to the deep reaches of the inner sphere, that’s fine and dandy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

MechaCrash posted:

I will go against "don't play the campaign" not because I think the writing is good, but because it gives you some neat free stuff. Including a Nightstar, and I'm not sure you can get it any other way. Some of the achievements are basically "play the campaign story," if you give a poo poo about those.

Everything you can get in the campaign can be gotten in career mode including the aforementioned nonsensical spoilermech, and the campaign also redistributes which conflict zones are considered endgame in a way that makes endgame less interesting and varied imo. This is on top of the campaign missions being untouched by various updates and just being boring grindfests full of ninja tanks.

About the only thing it has going for it is being able to wipe out an entire regiment of comguards and somehow get away with it.

(Fr tho why does a clanner scout have a nightstar)