Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022
jokic ftw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrownPepper
Dec 30, 2017

euphronius posted:

the way things are going the writers are going to give it to Giannis so they can admit their jokic mistake but not reward Philadelphia

yeah philly cant really compete with Milwaukee when it comes media attention. i don't know if they even have custard or a famous serial killer...

joel deserves mvp this year imo but more importantly philly looks like a really scary matchup in the postseason.

Yossarian-22
Oct 26, 2014

euphronius posted:

the way things are going the writers are going to give it to Giannis so they can admit their jokic mistake but not reward Philadelphia

No way in hell. Giannis underperformed early in the year and Milwaukee played tremendously without him. A lot of Milwaukee's current success is fueled by Middleton's return and Lopez. It's Jokic or Embiid

Yossarian-22
Oct 26, 2014

Kings officially above .500 for the year :allears:

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

what if they lose all their remaining games and also the season is extended?

Yossarian-22
Oct 26, 2014

Stevie Lee posted:

jokic getting worked by James wiseman

Would have been funny

You know what's funny? The Pistons have the two worst 2nd picks of the last ten years by a country mile, Bagley and Wiseman

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Yossarian-22 posted:

Would have been funny

You know what's funny? The Pistons have the two worst 2nd picks of the last ten years by a country mile, Bagley and Wiseman

Ben Simmons

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

euphronius posted:

Ben Simmons

rookie of the year and all star ben simmons?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

yes. he is the worst of all time.

Yossarian-22
Oct 26, 2014

euphronius posted:

Ben Simmons

Ben Simmons was the first pick in the draft. I'm talking about the worst 2nd picks of the past decade. Probably the only one who compares to Bagley/Wiseman in recent years is Jabari Parker

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

iirc Jabari was just blowing out his knees rather than being essentially bad

TDepressionEarl
Oct 28, 2010

I'm trying to win the World Cup
but I'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps playing Argentina onside

Wiseman had been hurt for his rookie and sophmore year for the Warriors. I maintain he's still a good scoring center for teams that need points from the center position.

The Warriors have Steph Curry which sort of warps the roster construction to favor centers that defend well and screen well, not necessarily centers that finish well.

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

Kings were given underdog odds by Vegas yesterday, so I did a ML parlay on Kings, Nugs, Bucks, and Suns.

The reverse poster’s jinx was enough to help the Nuggets win (you’re welcome, Denver fans) but not enough to stop the Bucks from loving it all up.

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

idk why everyone is sleeping on the Kings

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

regular season or playoffs ?

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

yeah kings are good but the whole "all gas no brakes" thing has historically been a recipe for regular season success and playoff failure, at least as far as winning a championship

future is definitely bright for them, but once teams can really do the lock in and gameplan each game thing it becomes much harder to win if you can't ever get a stop

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

They wont win a Champtionship with Sabonis but they will be fun.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

euphronius posted:

They wont win a Champtionship with Sabonis but they will be fun.

why not? sabonis is 2nd int he league in jokic score by a huge margin

Ferdinand the Bull
Jul 30, 2006

Euphronius hates passing centers. Don't take it personally

indigi
Jul 20, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!
Jokic has made me a decent amount of money this year so I don't think I can talk badly about him anymore

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

lol

indigi
Jul 20, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!
haha!

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

is that matt yglesias

indigi
Jul 20, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!
basically

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

mirror universe mattyg

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Shear Modulus posted:

is that matt yglesias

thats Giannis Antetokounmpo

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

gently caress yes.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

got tix for Cavs nets this week.

Doc Fission
Sep 11, 2011

I'm just gonna bite the bullet and ask. I've been a casual watcher for years but I didn't grow up in a basketball house and now I am watching more intensively and I think I would like to learn about the numbers and perhaps a bit more about positions. Is there a fun way to learn about the numbers

I'm not asking my IRL friends bc I don't think they would be very fun about it :(

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

the most important thing for the nba is leaning what a pick and roll is and how it’s defended. imho

offensive efficiency numbers are relatively good. there are no good defensive stats. rebounds and assists are garbage stats.

imho the beauty of the athleticism and competition is why I watch the games plus the day to day soap opera of the league.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

for positions there are basically guys who dribble and begin the offensive actions, wings and bigs. shooting guard, small forward, power forward are pretty antiquated and don’t really match what’s happening anymore.

imho

euphronius fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Mar 17, 2023

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

Shear Modulus posted:

is that matt yglesias

somewhere nick Mullen is smirking.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Doc Fission posted:

I'm just gonna bite the bullet and ask. I've been a casual watcher for years but I didn't grow up in a basketball house and now I am watching more intensively and I think I would like to learn about the numbers and perhaps a bit more about positions. Is there a fun way to learn about the numbers

I'm not asking my IRL friends bc I don't think they would be very fun about it :(

the general idea of what euphronious is saying is that you might have guys that look like they fit well into one of the traditional 5 positions, but nowadays teams will ask them to do some of the things that traditionally would be the domain of other positions. for example, the biggest guy on the team is traditionally thought of as the center, which means he stays under the basket on defense to contest layups and dunks and on offense would primarily score with post moves. nowadays, though, you want centers who can also shoot from 3-point distance (even though they're generally not as good at shooting as guards) because that being an option for the team on offense means the defenders have to watch out for the center sneaking away to the corner in addition to everything else going on, which makes defending much harder and more complicated.

defensive stats are hard because, while you can easily see something like what this center's 3 point shooting percentage is, for the guy defending him it's much harder to measure things like if he's in a good position to stay close enough to keep the offensive player from sneaking off for an open 3 while also being ready to contest the basket if a different offensive player drives for a layup

Shear Modulus fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Mar 17, 2023

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Doc Fission posted:

op you jsutr have to care abotu 1 stat: rpm

rotations per minute

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

the most important stat is dunks

the moneyball bullshit of the last 10 years strikes me as an attempt to be able to Solve another actually interesting problem with Computers and this is anathema to watching and enjoying a sports competition so you should be actively contemptful of it

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

dunks are actually very important.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Doc Fission posted:

Da/WGiN-em is the only stat you need. And it's easy to understand because the number it spits out is so polarized, essentially either 1 or 0.

Da/WGiN-em plus wingspan determines overall defensive effectiveness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrownPepper
Dec 30, 2017

euphronius posted:

iirc Jabari was just blowing out his knees rather than being essentially bad

i'm not sure how well Jabari would have worked out if he stayed healthy but the injury certainly didn't help. at the time I was all in on picking him and was glad MKE didn't take Embiid because of his foot injury in college...

edit: number one stat is nutmegs imo