Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
Whatever it does, it's kind of hypnotic about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Icon Of Sin posted:

Ok, wtf does this thing even do?

AFewBricksShy posted:

What is that used for?

holtemon posted:

I gotta know too lol, my google skills are letting me down today

haveblue posted:

Ground compaction, maybe?

It's a soil compactor.

https://sinoway-sh.en.made-in-china.com/product/oNyJpcRTAFVk/China-Sinoway-New-High-Energy-Impact-Compaction-Roller-Machine-for-Sale.html

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Icon Of Sin posted:

Ok, wtf does this thing even do?

https://landpac.com/general-information/

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Babe! It’s 4pm,

Leandros
Dec 14, 2008

My first thought was "oh so that's how they slow down large vehicles coming off inclines :downs:"

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
Time to dig a deep hole.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Worst. Dispensary. Ever.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Platystemon posted:

Worst. Dispensary. Ever.

I have carefully examined the image and determined that if a thing is white it is almost certainly asbestos.

holtemon
May 2, 2019

Dancing is forbidden

Facebook Aunt posted:

I have carefully examined the image and determined that if a thing is white it is almost certainly asbestos.

It really is crazy how "normal" asbestos looks

I'd personally have no idea if I ever came in contact with it if there wasn't a giant sign nearby saying "hey don't touch anything or breathe around any of this stuff" lol

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Facebook Aunt posted:

AI‐like logic detected.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I can't believe I share a country with these people

What on earth was she trying to do?? Why is the alcohol already burning in a frying pan on the floor? Why is she trying to pour a bunch more from a big jug right over the open flame? What??

Solid contender for dumbest person of 2023.

raifield
Feb 21, 2005

Sagebrush posted:

Solid contender for dumbest person of 2023.

Mostly for that expression on her face while holding a plank of ordinary wood.

holtemon
May 2, 2019

Dancing is forbidden
wrong thread sorry

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

Now listen to me children and I'll tell you of the legend of the Ninja

Facebook Aunt posted:

*checks the color of the back of my hand*

Guys... I-I'm really sorry.

Aware
Nov 18, 2003
I like to think the gun video is some kind of movie props warehouse.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

StoryTime posted:

*checks the color of the back of my hand*

Guys... I-I'm really sorry.

is your hand actually white though or is it more of a pale pinkish tan

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Aware posted:

I like to think the gun video is some kind of movie props warehouse.

I clicked through and found out it's this company

https://www.griffinarmament.com

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Platystemon posted:

Worst. Dispensary. Ever.

So, how long can asbestos stay "dormant"? I.e. how long after exposure can fibers hanging out in your lungs decide to go "ah yes its mesothelioma time"? Because now I'm 99% sure I've helped bust up an old boiler insulated with chrysotile asbestos like a decade ago.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

I clicked through and found out it's this company

https://www.griffinarmament.com

So then that was likely a real mg42 that he flagged the camera with.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

PurpleXVI posted:

So, how long can asbestos stay "dormant"? I.e. how long after exposure can fibers hanging out in your lungs decide to go "ah yes its mesothelioma time"? Because now I'm 99% sure I've helped bust up an old boiler insulated with chrysotile asbestos like a decade ago.

mesothelioma can be caused by both a single acute high-level exposure (e.g. being in the world trade center debris cloud) and also by chronic low-level exposure (e.g. working in an office with degrading ceiling tiles). the latent period from exposure to diagnosis is anywhere from 10 to 50 years.

sorry. a single exposure doesn't guarantee that you will get cancer, but don't sleep on any lung issues you might experience.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Sagebrush posted:

mesothelioma can be caused by both a single acute high-level exposure (e.g. being in the world trade center debris cloud) and also by chronic low-level exposure (e.g. working in an office with degrading ceiling tiles). the latent period from exposure to diagnosis is anywhere from 10 to 50 years.

sorry. don't sleep on any lung issues you begin to experience.

Thankfully my lungs are about the one part of me that never have any issues. Fingers crossed it's not just the sinister asbestos leading me into a false sense of security.

EDIT: For that matter is there even anything to do about it? My understanding of mesothelioma is that it's pretty much a death sentence and all that can be done is to make the suffering slightly less. But maybe that's outdated knowledge.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Cojawfee posted:

Yes,but not loaded

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

Yes,but not loaded

Probably

Turpitude
Oct 13, 2004

Love love love

be an organ donor
Soiled Meat

PurpleXVI posted:

Thankfully my lungs are about the one part of me that never have any issues. Fingers crossed it's not just the sinister asbestos leading me into a false sense of security.

EDIT: For that matter is there even anything to do about it? My understanding of mesothelioma is that it's pretty much a death sentence and all that can be done is to make the suffering slightly less. But maybe that's outdated knowledge.

While I was in the lung transplant program I met a few old guys who were on the list because of mesothelioma.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

I'm actually kind of shocked they'd do fatigue testing that slowly. Usually you'd rig it up to something running at 20-30 Hz on the low end, but for something metal like that you could easily go up to 60-120 Hz with few issues.

I might just be biased though; the stuff I did fatigue testing on usually took months to run even at high speeds due to the sheer number of cycles required.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Asbestos exposure is like smoking. There's a million little untrackable chances of something bad happening per fiber entering your lungs. They add up over time, or don't. The goal is to not roll the dice but if the dice are already rolling there's no telling when or if you'll get enough snake eyes in a row to see harmful effects.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Turpitude posted:

While I was in the lung transplant program I met a few old guys who were on the list because of mesothelioma.

Everything related to organ and limb transplants still feels like space magic to me. I don't understand how it works, but I'm happy that it does for the people who need it.

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting

They've been doing that for over 2.5 years, lol.

E: I'm really bad at math lol.

Samuel L. Hacksaw fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Mar 17, 2023

Vakal
May 11, 2008

holtemon posted:

It really is crazy how "normal" asbestos looks

I'd personally have no idea if I ever came in contact with it if there wasn't a giant sign nearby saying "hey don't touch anything or breathe around any of this stuff" lol

There's also stories of kids in the asbestos mining towns having snowball fights with it.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

zedprime posted:

Asbestos exposure is like smoking. There's a million little untrackable chances of something bad happening per fiber entering your lungs. They add up over time, or don't. The goal is to not roll the dice but if the dice are already rolling there's no telling when or if you'll get enough snake eyes in a row to see harmful effects.

Speaking of smoking, if you're a smoker that changes the risk from asbestos exposure from a dice roll to a coin flip.

Or, more accurately, a from a d20 to a d6, I guess

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

Dirk the Average posted:

I'm actually kind of shocked they'd do fatigue testing that slowly. Usually you'd rig it up to something running at 20-30 Hz on the low end, but for something metal like that you could easily go up to 60-120 Hz with few issues.

I might just be biased though; the stuff I did fatigue testing on usually took months to run even at high speeds due to the sheer number of cycles required.
Looks like it's limited by how quickly the spring on the gate returns it. Plus you'd need some room for the spring to wear and close slower as the test goes

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

"The remains of the Kraffts were cremated during a Catholic funeral service,"

That seems redundant.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Well, sometimes you just gotta make sure.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Phanatic posted:

"The remains of the Kraffts were cremated during a Catholic funeral service,"

That seems redundant.

That's weird, catholics aren't supposed to get cremated. I think it's allowed now, but still discouraged and some get real weird about it.

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

Facebook Aunt posted:

That's weird, catholics aren't supposed to get cremated. I think it's allowed now, but still discouraged and some get real weird about it.

sounds like those two had already saturated the weirdness meter, so if they want even more fire then fuckit why not

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Foxfire_ posted:

Looks like it's limited by how quickly the spring on the gate returns it. Plus you'd need some room for the spring to wear and close slower as the test goes

Depends on what your weak link for fatigue is, really. If your concern is the spring, then you can design a test fixture to just wear the heck out of that spring to see if it'll fail. Often, running the tests at such high frequencies ends up being more damaging to the part than running it at a lower frequency, and a faster test is generally preferred for any sort of development work.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Turpitude posted:

The gang tag really elevates this avatar/post combo

organ donors rule, glad you got some new (gently used) lungs!

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Samuel L. Hacksaw posted:

They've been doing that for over 2.5 years, lol.

My arithmetic says 55 hours for the bottom one, so uh might wanna check that sir.

So yea at that rate the test might take less than a week, given a quick google showing failures popping up at ~12k when loaded (which these are not) and they seem to be sold with a guarantee of only ~3k cycles (again, loaded). Who knows tho, maybe people care about unlodaed carabiners failing after 10M finger flicks?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Cojawfee posted:

Yeah, probably. Although there's really no safe direction to point something that fires full power rifle rounds at 1400 rounds/minute in a goddamn office building.