Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

alnilam posted:

In my old neighborhood, which is very urban, I knew a guy who liked to dig around in local backyards (with permission) looking for former poop holes. Apparently at the turn of the century people used to toss liquor bottles in there (drinkin while poopin i guess, whomst amongst us etc) and these old liquor bottles with raised lettering are worth a lot.

"and that's how we all got cholera"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gwely Mernans
Jun 30, 2017

Facebook Aunt posted:

This isn't exactly crappy, it just struck me as a bit strange.

It kinda looks like 3 buildings, but going past it it seems to be one large building. Maybe they wanted to add height while maintaining the character of the neighbourhood?

Another one a block later. From head on it seems to be 3 buildings, but at this angle you can see it is just one.

Was there a time when this was an architecture trend? Or are these buildings metastasizing and we're just being dosed by the SCP foundation so we don't notice anything strange.

This is what all my Minecraft bases end up looking like. I bet there's a whole awesome underground complex beneath it too!

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
trust me, if you let us install these cell antennas we can make 'em blend right in

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
They should make bat houses that double as antennas

Or does 5g kill bats

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

moist turtleneck posted:

They should make bat houses that double as antennas

Or does 5g kill bats

I keep intending to build a bat house to mount on the pole that used to have a basketball backboard and hoop on it that the landlord left up in the driveway rather than dig it out. Maybe I'll get to that this summer.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

`Nemesis posted:

trust me, if you let us install these cell antennas we can make 'em blend right in

Those things look like they're full of coins.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Local teenager falls off roof trying to "get mushroom out of brickwork", authorities believe he already got into the mushrooms.

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

I like the phone booth.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

At least this one looks fixable.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Deteriorata posted:

I'm sure both happened, depending on the location.

Removing "night soil" was a serious profession in many cities, where moving the outhouse wasn't an option. I'm sure there were other places with lots of land where they preferred digging a new hole to cleaning out the old one.

My dad regaled me with stories of tipping over outhouses as a Halloween prank, so they were neither securely anchored nor particularly heavy in his area.

Malcolm X used to tip over outhouses as a kid on the outskirts of Lansing. Probably only did it once though.

The Autobiography of Malcolm X posted:

One Halloween night, I remember that a bunch of us were out tipping over those old country outhouses, and one old farmer-I guess he had tipped over enough in his day-had set a trap for us. Always, you sneak up from behind the outhouse, then you gang together and push it, to tip it over. This farmer had taken his outhouse off the hole, and set it just in _front_ of the hole. Well, we came sneaking up in single file, in the darkness, and the two white boys in the lead fell down into the outhouse hole neck deep. They smelled so bad it was all we could stand to get them out, and that finished us all for that Halloween. I had just missed falling in myself. The whites were so used to taking the lead, this time it had really gotten them in the hole.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Darth Brooks posted:

I like the phone booth.

Dr Loo

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Darth Brooks posted:

I like the phone booth.

Ma Smell.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Got the ill defecation

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Darth Brooks posted:

I like the phone booth.

Plenty of tp available

First of May
May 1, 2017
🎵 Bring your favorite lady, or at least your favorite lay! 🎵

Darth Brooks posted:

I like the phone booth.

I bet it gets lovely reception.

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

Throw this in a pot, add some broth, a potato? Baby you got a stew going!

A Pack of Kobolds posted:

Got the ill defecation

:drat:

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

A Pack of Kobolds posted:

Got the ill defecation

I was thinking of "Illest fumigation" personally but wasn't sure how well it fit.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

I guess that really stumped them.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Thing is, that'd probably be just fine if they only anchored the notched board to the stump!

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011
:norway:

:iiam:

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Thing is, that'd probably be just fine if they only anchored the notched board to the stump!

Won't that just invite termites or other bugs that eat dead wood?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Epitope posted:

Maybe on the road, but different equation in a rural setting with a small structure

Oh yeah let me just scoop up a whole-rear end structure with my lumikola bing bong so simple.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Oh yeah let me just scoop up a whole-rear end structure with my lumikola bing bong so simple.

Is your argument that tiny outhouses never existed anywhere, or that a 5 square foot box is too cumbersome to be moved by a couple people?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Cat Hatter posted:

Is your argument that tiny outhouses never existed anywhere, or that a 5 square foot box is too cumbersome to be moved by a couple people?

No, just that moving the outhouse every time it gets full is loving stupid and was never done in civilized cultures.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
You know what’s really unpleasant? Moving a wooden box. There has to be a better way!

I know! We’ll dig up a vast quantity of excrement out of a hole in the ground and move that instead.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Platystemon posted:

You know what’s really unpleasant? Moving a wooden box. There has to be a better way!

I know! We’ll dig up a vast quantity of excrement out of a hole in the ground and move that instead.

OK get this: there is no hole. (In the ground. There's a hole in the seat, of course.)

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

lol

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

3D Megadoodoo posted:

OK get this: there is no hole. (In the ground. There's a hole in the seat, of course.)

Instead of being a jackass you can just explain how they work in Finland

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Blue Footed Booby posted:

Instead of being a jackass you can just explain how they work in Finland

I think the actual photograph I posted makes it like 100% clear? It empties at the back.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

3D Megadoodoo posted:

I think the actual photograph I posted makes it like 100% clear? It empties at the back.

Picture didn't load before. My apologies to the man from the one civilized country on earth

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Blue Footed Booby posted:

Picture didn't load before. My apologies to the man from the one civilized country on earth

The poo was your internet connection all along.

e: Or possibly Imgur.

Ruflux
Jun 16, 2012

The outhouse at my grandparents' summer cottage had a whole bucket-shaped tub with drainage holes poked at the bottom and emptying it was simply a process of digging a hole somewhere in the nearby woods, emptying the tub there and covering the hole up. Incredibly environmentally friendly, in other words. It wasn't as horrible as it sounds since using the outhouse also involved throwing in some drying agent made up of organic material of some sort so it was mostly dried out mush of somewhat composted excrement and toilet paper but still.

It filled up too fast and was disgusting to deal with so eventually we built a new outhouse of the composting type so the end result is just earth you can throw in some much smaller hole in the woods. Technology saves the day once again.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Crappy Construction: Constructing outdoor crappers

Mister Dog
Dec 27, 2005

3D Megadoodoo posted:

No, just that moving the outhouse every time it gets full is loving stupid and was never done in civilized cultures.

Maybe you’re digging in your heels on what constitutes a civilized culture or there’s something else I’m missing here, but moving the outhouse when the poo hole fills up was, and still is, certainly done.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
plus once poop hole gets sun it will grow a forest of corn

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Platystemon posted:

Many, many outhouses are just composting toilets. Depending on the volume of poo poo you're putting in there, the size of the hole, the temp and humidity, the amount of lime you use for de-stinkifying, the poop breaks down and you use the same outhouse in the same place indefinitely.

Others don't have a hole but a container (sometimes as simple as a bucket) that is regularly removed and dumped elsewhere. This is easier than moving a shed-like building and digging another large hole.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

I poop in a regular sized toilet that flushes.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
When it gets full you just shovel it into the neighbor's outhouse under cover of darkness. It's called a Lower Decker.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

Saint Freak posted:

When it gets full you just shovel it into the neighbor's outhouse under cover of darkness. It's called a Lower Decker.

Just add an outhouse on top of the old outhouse and keep making GBS threads:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Saint Freak posted: