Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I have each thumb scanned twice on my 7 Pro. Zero issues after I did that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Scanned my thumb once for the Fold 3 and it's flawless

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

The biometrics on my Pixel 6 have always been fine, and at some point the updates made it even better. It's rare for me to get a misread nowadays.

Face unlock has always seemed hit or miss to me, on phones and elsewhere. Like Windows Hello works great on my Win 11 laptop, but it is often slow. If I had a phone take that long I'd probably still default to unlocking it by other means.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Can't wait till a flat screen on the Pixel 8 Pro.

I just did my first LOCA UV glue tempered glass screen protector install on my Pixel 7 Pro. It was nerve wracking and had the potential to be very messy but was only a little messy. It's not perfect, but the few tiny imperfections in the glue spread are pretty invisible unless light catches it a certain way when the screen isn't being used. Nice to have the feel of glass again. Hate that Victus traded scratch resistance for drop resistance. I'll be happy if I can just use a standard tempered glass protector on the 8 Pro.

I got one for the S23 Ultra too, but I'll probably wait until the weekend before tackling another one.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Yeah, if the 8 Pro has a flat screen it will be much more tempting for me. Size-wise I can tolerate 6.7" screens, although it really is pushing "too big" for me. I've been tempted by 6 and 7 Pro versions, but the curved screen combined with the price differential and larger size was enough to make me not go that direction. If they go to flat screens the equation will be harder to balance, with the Pro model being way more viable to me.

Resdfru
Jun 4, 2004

I'm a freak on a leash.
Is that that liquid screen protector stuff? Can that come off if you don't like it? I put a Samsung brand tpu film on my s23u and it lasted 2 days before I took it off. Some of the bubbles went away but it still had too many to be usable

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

Google should just put all the Pro camera hardware in the regular Pixel 8 so people that want a smaller device don't feel like they're getting shorted. I want Big Screen all the time; literally never met a huge phone I didn't like, but I understand why people pick smaller devices and they should get the same experience.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players
the "small" one isn't even small you'd have a hard time telling the difference from the front without them being side by side unless you're some super phone identifier like the guy who is obsessed with how fast his phone charges
https://www.phonearena.com/phones/size/Google-Pixel-7,Google-Pixel-7-Pro/phones/11908,11907

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Mental Hospitality posted:

Google should just put all the Pro camera hardware in the regular Pixel 8 so people that want a smaller device don't feel like they're getting shorted. I want Big Screen all the time; literally never met a huge phone I didn't like, but I understand why people pick smaller devices and they should get the same experience.

That would be nice. The 6a I got for my dad feels like a slightly better size than my 6, and the 6 is slightly smaller than my previous phone (Motorola One 5G Ace). Going bigger than the 6 is something I would consider but for my uses it is hard to justify. Between my smartwatch, KDE connect, and Android Auto the amount of time I interact with my phone directly has continued to decrease, so carrying around a giant slab that I rarely make use of is, like I said, hard to justify.

I mean, I understand there are design constraints, but gating the better camera behind a much larger phone seems more like a segmentation decision to me.

butt dickus posted:

the "small" one isn't even small you'd have a hard time telling the difference from the front without them being side by side unless you're some super phone identifier like the guy who is obsessed with how fast his phone charges
https://www.phonearena.com/phones/size/Google-Pixel-7,Google-Pixel-7-Pro/phones/11908,11907

I hadn't thought to check that since the 7 series came out, but seeing the Pixel 7 is slightly smaller than the Pixel 6 actually makes me happy. Maybe the march toward ever-bigger phones has finally petered out.

CaptainSarcastic fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Mar 16, 2023

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Resdfru posted:

Is that that liquid screen protector stuff? Can that come off if you don't like it? I put a Samsung brand tpu film on my s23u and it lasted 2 days before I took it off. Some of the bubbles went away but it still had too many to be usable

No, it's a tempered glass screen protector that's glued on to the screen with UV curing glue. It's a full kit with the protectors, glue, alignment tray and curing light. This is needed for curved screens as it's pretty much impossible for a curved tempered glass screen protector to stay in place without glue.

The glue bonds better to the protector than the actual screen itself so a plastic spudger can put the protector right off without too much effort and any glue residue can be removed with rubbing alcohol.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0BQFCST5G?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

That's the kit I bought. I haven't done the S23U yet, but it's the same manufacturer as the P7P one. It's basically the "cheap" version of the Whitestonedome one which is probably all the same stuff.

The biggest danger when doing this is getting the glue seepage into either the earpiece or buttons. You can see the kit has absorber parts on the top and sides to prevent glue from running down there before it's cured. I went a step further and also put some painters tape over those areas as extra protection.

So, put the phone in the tray, make sure its level, clean the screen and make it dust free like you would normally do, dump the glue in the center of the screen, then use the plastic guides and wedges to slowly lower the protector in place which pushes the glue outwards. You leave it sit for a few minutes as it spreads outwards so there are no bubbles and then use use the UV curing light on it several times to harden the glue. The result, if everything goes right, is a another tempered glass layer on the screen that's virtually invisible and feels exactly the same as the screen. Prep work and going slow is the key because if things to don't spread right, you basically have to harden it anyways and then peel it off and try the next one in the pack. I have a few tiny spots near one edge that the glue didn't spread as well for some reason that you can see under certain lighting conditions, but for the most part you can't see. I also could have done a better job cleaning any glue seepage in a few spots before I hardened it, but those also really aren't noticeable.

But no TPU tackiness and no orange peel (but that's less of an issue nowadays.) TPU has gotten a lot better about not feeling like plastic, but it's still there a bit. Honestly I like the PET screen protectors Samsung used to put on their stuff from the factory and that OnePlus also still uses from the factory. They feel like glass as well, but they do scratch easier and don't self heal like TPU so they aren't perfect either.

I used to run without and I still teeter on doing that, but my 7 Pro picked up a micro scratch (only visible with extreme light at an angle) in like the first 3 days so I ended up putting one of my P6P TPU protectors on it (I used to just have some TPU protectors I would put on if I was doing something like going to vacation at the beach where I knew scratches were more likely).

Flat screen is so much easier since you can just plop a normal tempered glass protector on there without all this fuss and it should stay put.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

CaptainSarcastic posted:

I mean, I understand there are design constraints, but gating the better camera behind a much larger phone seems more like a segmentation decision to me.

The egregious thing is the downgrade of the ultrawide. It's the same sensor but a smaller FoV and no autofocus so no macro. There's no reason why it should be downgraded in this way.

The 5x zoom is more problematic. I don't think it would physically fit in the Pixel 7. You could put something like a 3x normal zoom lens in there like the S23 series, but it would increase the price for something that would provide limited utility over the 2x center crop of the main sensor (which is the same between the 7 and 7 Pro). So, I understand the cutting of the zoom altogether. Again though, the ultrawide downgrades are bullshit.

What I want to see for the Pixel 8 is camera parity with the Pro minus the zoom (because, again, I don't think it will fit.) But I also want to see them use stuff on the non-pro like better screens (can still be 1080p, but full LTPO 3.0 and 120hz with good brightness and color).

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
my sony alpha fits in my purse and can zoom way better and take way better photos for when I want to do that, we went from phones having acceptable cameras to literally making cameras that have a phone in them which kinda made them massive.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.
have looked around a bit but I'm not seeing a repair thread so will ask here:

pixel 3 seems dead, have tried power button, power button + volume down/up combos for over a minute and nothing happens

seems to take a charge wirelessly and by cable but screen remains black

anything else to try?

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
I hope SMS never goes away.

Since getting my S23 last week, Google RCS/Chatting/Whatever is so spotty. The only person I routinely text with who has an Android-based phone is my wife, and our conversations are so unreliable using RCS. Yesterday I didn't get messages that she was coming home from running errands until she was walking in the door, and then looking back through the conversation there were gif reactions that never got sent at all, and every text message was delayed. We both have the option for failed Chat messages to be resent immediately as SMS set to on, but that obviously doesn't work correctly with the gaps in time between them being sent and them going through.

It's likely due to the Google Chat providers. Hers is serviced through AT&T as she has a carrier phone. My Google Chat services are provided by Jibe as I have an unlocked phone.

Her phone had gotten stuck "Connecting to Chat services" for some reason, despite having never been toggled off. Even after reconnecting, her messages started coming through as Chat messages but would immediately revert back to SMS for my return messages, and my phone kept saying "waiting for _____ to be online."

For all Google's want for everyone to use RCS like Apple uses iMessage, iMessage is loving reliable (yes I know those servers have had the odd hiccup over the years but system-wide outages aren't what I'm talking about here). I shouldn't be searching online for solutions to RCS problems and seeing three year old pages about clearing caches and restarting the service, it should Just Work. We have a child. If we need to send an emergency text message, that poo poo needs to come through immediately, without a reasonable fear of it failing.

So I've just turned off RCS entirely, and we're using plain old SMS. It's frustrating.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Celexi posted:

my sony alpha fits in my purse and can zoom way better and take way better photos for when I want to do that, we went from phones having acceptable cameras to literally making cameras that have a phone in them which kinda made them massive.

So, we've gone back a decade.

https://www.theverge.com/2012/12/3/3706206/samsung-galaxy-camera-review

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

Soul Glo posted:

Since getting my S23 last week, Google RCS/Chatting/Whatever is so spotty.

<snip>

So I've just turned off RCS entirely, and we're using plain old SMS. It's frustrating.

Signal has been rock solid in my experience if you can get the people you want to chat with to install it. Cross platform too.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

SamDabbers posted:

Signal has been rock solid in my experience if you can get the people you want to chat with to install it. Cross platform too.

I use apps with other people, and we have a workaround with SMS. My point is that if Google wants Chat to compete with iMessage then they need to stop being so lovely.

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

Resist the siren call of rhinocerosness

College Slice
It's built on top of an already lovely system(SMS) so I'd be hesitant to blame Google. Messages works over data like all other modern messengers.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

There's also numerous examples of cross carrier SMS not working properly as well over the years.

The carriers are the issue, there's little google can do to fix that without stepping completely outside the whole framework to begin with and abandoning standards and rolling their own like iMessage and you essentially already have that in Google Chat.

You know what would get the telcos to fix cross carrier RCS quickly? If Apple adopted it. It isn't going to happen though due to them being perfectly happy with the status quo.

There's no fixing messaging outside of the FCC mandating that Apple open up iMessage to other platforms. It's the de facto rich chat with SMS failback ecosystem out there now and it's too entrenched to change.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

DesperateDan posted:

have looked around a bit but I'm not seeing a repair thread so will ask here:

pixel 3 seems dead, have tried power button, power button + volume down/up combos for over a minute and nothing happens

seems to take a charge wirelessly and by cable but screen remains black

anything else to try?

You can check if it's the EDL mode failure by plugging it into a PC and looking for a new device in Device Manager with something like "QUSB_BULK" in the name. If that's the case, condolences. Happened to mine about 8 months ago. There doesn't seem to be any way to better diagnose or try to fix it aside from spending money at a repair center.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Soul Glo posted:

Since getting my S23 last week, Google RCS/Chatting/Whatever is so spotty. The only person I routinely text with who has an Android-based phone is my wife, and our conversations are so unreliable using RCS. Yesterday I didn't get messages that she was coming home from running errands until she was walking in the door, and then looking back through the conversation there were gif reactions that never got sent at all, and every text message was delayed. We both have the option for failed Chat messages to be resent immediately as SMS set to on, but that obviously doesn't work correctly with the gaps in time between them being sent and them going through.

It's likely due to the Google Chat providers. Hers is serviced through AT&T as she has a carrier phone. My Google Chat services are provided by Jibe as I have an unlocked phone.

Her phone had gotten stuck "Connecting to Chat services" for some reason, despite having never been toggled off. Even after reconnecting, her messages started coming through as Chat messages but would immediately revert back to SMS for my return messages, and my phone kept saying "waiting for _____ to be online."

For all Google's want for everyone to use RCS like Apple uses iMessage, iMessage is loving reliable (yes I know those servers have had the odd hiccup over the years but system-wide outages aren't what I'm talking about here). I shouldn't be searching online for solutions to RCS problems and seeing three year old pages about clearing caches and restarting the service, it should Just Work. We have a child. If we need to send an emergency text message, that poo poo needs to come through immediately, without a reasonable fear of it failing.

you must be american, just use whatsapp like the rest of the world!

CLAM DOWN fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Mar 17, 2023

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

CLAM DOWN posted:

you must be american, just use whatsapp like the rest of the world!

I've just started getting spammy poo poo to my WhatsApp (after ~2 years of it installed). I thought I was locked down enough, but is there any specific settings to close up?
Under Privacy, I have Last Seen, About, Status and Groups set to My Contacts.
I also have 2fa set up.

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

Resist the siren call of rhinocerosness

College Slice
Signal supremacy, down with Meta!

Blurb3947
Sep 30, 2022
I got most of my pals over to Signal but it's a bummer that they're dropping SMS support for Android. All the more reason to get their contacts over to Signal too. Higher quality group messaging pics and videos was a huge sell for them, not to mention the security and privacy improvements vs Meta or Snap.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

deong posted:

I've just started getting spammy poo poo to my WhatsApp (after ~2 years of it installed). I thought I was locked down enough, but is there any specific settings to close up?
Under Privacy, I have Last Seen, About, Status and Groups set to My Contacts.
I also have 2fa set up.

I'm not sure, I've never gotten any spam to whatsapp ever.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Loved Signal for years, but didn't like mixing SMS anyway. Been happily using Textra for that ever since Google Chat/Hangouts whatever it was called had dropped SMS support.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

So, uh, if you are running a Pixel 6/7 series or a Samsung with Exynos, you probably want to turn off VoLTE and Wifi calling for now.

https://9to5google.com/2023/03/16/google-exynos-modem-vulnerabilities/

Guess I'm going to stay hunkered down with the OP11 or swap out to the S23U for a bit here until patches come out. Apparently at least one was patched with the March update, but not everything yet. This could be why the 6 series patches are late.

Edit: I guess the 7 is mostly covered with the main patch already issued. It's just the 6 series and other Samsung devices that still have that oustanding.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Mar 17, 2023

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

it's already fixed on the pixels march update, but apparently that hasn't been pushed to the 6 series yet

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.

sirbeefalot posted:

You can check if it's the EDL mode failure by plugging it into a PC and looking for a new device in Device Manager with something like "QUSB_BULK" in the name. If that's the case, condolences. Happened to mine about 8 months ago. There doesn't seem to be any way to better diagnose or try to fix it aside from spending money at a repair center.

Thanks- yeah it's this- it served me two years then my kid about the same amount of time so I can't complain much but I would be fuckin furious if it had gone a few days after warranty expired like some folks I have seen

From some reading an area of the memory fails when trying to do an update and that's that- a repair would be a new board so they get my 5 and I move up to a 7 I guess

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

bull3964 posted:

So, uh, if you are running a Pixel 6/7 series or a Samsung with Exynos, you probably want to turn off VoLTE and Wifi calling for now.

https://9to5google.com/2023/03/16/google-exynos-modem-vulnerabilities/

Guess I'm going to stay hunkered down with the OP11 or swap out to the S23U for a bit here until patches come out. Apparently at least one was patched with the March update, but not everything yet. This could be why the 6 series patches are late.

Edit: I guess the 7 is mostly covered with the main patch already issued. It's just the 6 series and other Samsung devices that still have that oustanding.

Already patched on the 7/7 Pro.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

CLAM DOWN posted:

https://googleprojectzero.blogspot.com/2023/03/multiple-internet-to-baseband-remote-rce.html

quote:

he four most severe of these eighteen vulnerabilities (CVE-2023-24033 and three other vulnerabilities that have yet to be assigned CVE-IDs) allowed for Internet-to-baseband remote code execution.

We expect that patch timelines will vary per manufacturer (for example, affected Pixel devices have already received a fix for CVE-2023-24033 in the March 2023 security update).

My read is only CVE-2023-24033 has been patched and there are 3 other outstanding baseband RCEs that haven't been assigned CVEs that haven't been patched yet.

There is no source guidance that I've seen that excludes the Pixel 7 and 7 Pro from the mitigation steps due to these 3 remaining RCEs.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Mar 17, 2023

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.
Also it looks like you can't turn VoLTE off for most US carriers! :sadpeanut:

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

haven't some carriers already phased out 2G and 3G? in that case VoLTE is the only remaining way to make calls, it wouldn't make sense to let you turn it off

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Yeah, the mitigation stuff likely ISN'T possible for a lot of users. Also, these exploits have been around for quite awhile and still haven't been disclosed so the situation isn't that much different than it was last month. It's still something to be aware of and take action towards if you can.

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

bull3964 posted:

There's also numerous examples of cross carrier SMS not working properly as well over the years.

The carriers are the issue, there's little google can do to fix that without stepping completely outside the whole framework to begin with and abandoning standards and rolling their own like iMessage and you essentially already have that in Google Chat.

You know what would get the telcos to fix cross carrier RCS quickly? If Apple adopted it. It isn't going to happen though due to them being perfectly happy with the status quo.

There's no fixing messaging outside of the FCC mandating that Apple open up iMessage to other platforms. It's the de facto rich chat with SMS failback ecosystem out there now and it's too entrenched to change.

Funny thing is, for years both Samsung and Google had all the ingredients they needed to make their own rival to iMessage. Google had Talk/Hangouts and Samsung had their ChatOn client. On both platforms, you were automatically enrolled from simply signing in to your Google and/or Samsung Account, and they were available long before iMessage existed.

All they had to do was integrate SMS. Throw in a different color bubbles for messages from iPhones, and perhaps today it would've been teens with iPhones being bullied.

I can only imagine both companies caved to carriers, it's the only reason I can see for them continuing to pretend RCS is a worthwhile rival to iMessage.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

Noticed a bug with the refresh rate of the OnePlus 11; it won't boost above 60hz in a lot of apps. Scrolling in the YouTube app or Google Photos the phone reports it's locked at 60hz, and you can really tell. Switching to the Pixel 7 Pro and it runs at the max refresh rate.

It's not all apps which is weird. Scrolling through the Awful app or Twitter or YouTube Music for example and the display does run at 120hz.

:OnePlusStuff:

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003

CLAM DOWN posted:

I have a Pixel 6 on Google Fi, and although it's 'already patched' in the March security update, they haven't actually pushed the March security update yet to Fi users. I'm getting really loving sick of having a Google phone, on the google network, and waiting extra days or loving weeks to get security updates.

EDIT: Some more searching makes it sound like the 6 series just hasn't gotten the March security update. Just more of the 6 series getting hosed for patches/updates, it sounds like. And there's not possible to turn off VoLTE either, so we're all just counting on nobody figuring out the vulnerability before Google gets off their lazy loving asses and pushes the patch for the 6 series.

bull3964 posted:

https://googleprojectzero.blogspot.com/2023/03/multiple-internet-to-baseband-remote-rce.html

My read is only CVE-2023-24033 has been patched and there are 3 other outstanding baseband RCEs that haven't been assigned CVEs that haven't been patched yet.

There is no source guidance that I've seen that excludes the Pixel 7 and 7 Pro from the mitigation steps due to these 3 remaining RCEs.

This was my interpretation too, there's still serious undisclosed vulnerabilities in these phones.

Rescue Toaster fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Mar 17, 2023

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Mental Hospitality posted:

Noticed a bug with the refresh rate of the OnePlus 11; it won't boost above 60hz in a lot of apps. Scrolling in the YouTube app or Google Photos the phone reports it's locked at 60hz, and you can really tell. Switching to the Pixel 7 Pro and it runs at the max refresh rate.

It's not all apps which is weird. Scrolling through the Awful app or Twitter or YouTube Music for example and the display does run at 120hz.

:OnePlusStuff:

I've noticed other apps doing it on the S23U. Variable refresh rate feels like it needs some work.

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
lol that this made me and my spouse to use our iphones again, as both are pixel 6's with no patch lmao.

effika posted:

Also it looks like you can't turn VoLTE off for most US carriers! :sadpeanut:

you can on t-mobile/sprint but not a volte toggle unless you have a phoner that can do it as google was so nice to remove that setting, you basically have to set your phone to 3g/2g only and hopefully you have extremely light internet use cases when outside of wifi.
I don't know if verizon still keeps their cdma network active but I know with at you are poo poo out of luck.

every now and then google fucks up and out of storage comes the iphone, lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!

CaptainSarcastic posted:

The biometrics on my Pixel 6 have always been fine, and at some point the updates made it even better. It's rare for me to get a misread nowadays.

Face unlock has always seemed hit or miss to me, on phones and elsewhere. Like Windows Hello works great on my Win 11 laptop, but it is often slow. If I had a phone take that long I'd probably still default to unlocking it by other means.

windows hello depends on your camera quality and features/also your cpu/gpu, but it is fast on mine, not as fast as my iphone though which is instantl.