Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
I really love how they couldn't be bothered to even try to hide the hats just being superimposed in front of the head.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer
The sooner SE's dogshit NFT crap comes out, the sooner it can flop and we can get on with our lives.

The nice thing here is that it really looks like the last NFT game in the pipeline that I've heard of anyway, so I'm REALLY hoping this just puts the nail in the coffin of this whole stupid fad.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Ghost Leviathan posted:

It can be a bit funny depending on what presentation and setup you have. Like, you'd be surprised what aspects of a game are and can be changed and what parts are baked in early on in development when you have a base concept and engine. Since video games are such a complex medium involving both art and technical development, and so much about presentation is effectively a matter of smoke and mirrors, it can be very hard to predict how development goes.

Wasn't Skull and Bones originally just taking the naval part of AC4 and turning it into a full fledges game, minus the AC part? That seems like a solid start to a design document.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Kith posted:

https://www.gamesradar.com/square-enixs-nft-game-sounds-like-a-nightmare-nobodys-prepared-for/

https://twitter.com/LGG_DAO/status/1628952878487416832?s=20

the hair clipping through the hats IN THE PROMO ART is not inspiring confidence in this absolute loving disaster

Something that sets off red flags, are these character NFTs, of which you need 10k to finish their story, sold by S-E or sold p2p? In which case is money changing hands from person to person or the company? Do you buy funbux and use those in an in app market to trade the NFTs? Can the NFT's be sold outside of the game?

This also sounds like the ramblings of a madman

quote:

The end of all this is what the devs are calling a "World Mission," where three players who completed all the game's missions and collected certain quest items will be selected to "decide the future of the story." The devs pitch that "the value of being selected as one of these three for a project undertaken by one of Japan's leading game companies is immeasurable. Naturally, the difficulty level is extremely high. In addition to being good at games, you need to have a complex set of skills such as 'reasoning,' 'information gathering,' and 'team building.'"

So the reward for 3 people beating the game the fastest is to get a job where they are paid in 'exposure' or something to develop the game forward? The literally sounds like a Black Mirror plot.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Kith posted:

https://www.gamesradar.com/square-enixs-nft-game-sounds-like-a-nightmare-nobodys-prepared-for/

https://twitter.com/LGG_DAO/status/1628952878487416832?s=20

the hair clipping through the hats IN THE PROMO ART is not inspiring confidence in this absolute loving disaster
Their faces even look copy&pasted with empty and dead eyes. Everything is so super low effort this is absolutely 100% guaranteed to fail. :allears:

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

I’m pretty sure everyone except Haircap McClippyson has the same exact smile—

…Wait, hold on; on closer inspection, it looks like literally every single one of them has their hair clipping through their hat.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

:chloe:

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

I like how the start point is "Hold NFTs for a long time without selling them" and sits in the center of the flowchart, spiraling outwards from there.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

The sooner SE's dogshit NFT crap comes out, the sooner it can flop and we can get on with our lives.

The nice thing here is that it really looks like the last NFT game in the pipeline that I've heard of anyway, so I'm REALLY hoping this just puts the nail in the coffin of this whole stupid fad.

Friend, the NFT coffin is composed of nothing but nails and it's already six feet under an Arizona landfill. The only reason anyone is still getting paid for this crap is some contract an idiot signed two years ago hasn't expired yet.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Considering Squeenix's whole signature thing is elaborate and stylished visual design I think it's reeaaally telling how blatantly half-assed paper doll the characters look, and this is supposed to make the game look good.

Yeah, this is absolutely a bedgrudging obligation.

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

It's a bold strategy to create a game that caps out at 10k players. I'm sure that won't backfire

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

ColdPie posted:

Friend, the NFT coffin is composed of nothing but nails and it's already six feet under an Arizona landfill. The only reason anyone is still getting paid for this crap is some contract an idiot signed two years ago hasn't expired yet.

Apparently every time this is brought up, there is a chorus of commentators that point out that NFTs don't have the same sort of toxic reception in Japan for some reason. That would explain why SE still seems so full steam ahead about the idea when the rest of the world has realized they're a scam. :shrug:

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time
I think it makes more sense if you put it in the context that companies have been looking into ways to monetize gaming for a long time. Valve's TF2 and DOTA marketplaces showed that whales will spend unreasonable amounts of money on "rare" digital items already, and millions of real hours have probably already been spent grinding for gold / accounts to sell in MMOs like WoW. It's not unreasonable to think (from a big company c-suite perspective) that an intentionally designed work-game by Square-Enix with big potential payouts for gambling addicts to fixate on from speculative NFT crap could be a game-changer (no pun intended). Don't think too hard about what a treadmill of misery such a game would be if designed well.

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

All the stuff about Symbiogenesis is reminding me of Evolve, the 4v1 asymmetrical shooter. That one announced itself by telling us about all the DLC you could buy before telling us anything about the game.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

I read the report linked in that GamesRadar article. The main advantages you get from owning the 'original' NFT NPCs and being able to issue replicas of them to other players are earning more login bonus XP and having access to exclusive story information that nobody else can see. Nowhere is it explained how this is supposed to translate to interesting gameplay - or any gameplay at all, actually. They never say what the game is. It isn't clear if these supposed story elements are actual text you need to keep track of and think about or... the more likely scenario, it's just a bunch of items on a checklist/item screen that automatically unlock and there is no thinking involved whatsoever, all you need is to mindlessly fill a quota by logging in each day and press a few buttons.

quote:

In the "Unlocking Stories" phase, all players will conquer Missions and Quests based on the stories that are released each day.

quote:

Some stories contain information that can be completed in a single story, while others are revealed through the collection of several stories. For example, in the "Quest Hint Slot," the more difficult the Quest is, the more multiple information must be gathered and considered to complete it. By not only "collecting" information about the characters, but also "connecting" the collected information, Quest's strategy and the world's history will be unraveled.

quote:

To unlock the stories from the character, you need the slot to unlock points you get when you log in once a day. The story can be read gradually by spending slot unlock points.
This looks like all the worst mobile and NFT mechanics you can think of, rolled into one.

The document also contradicts itself by claiming the game is not "a pay-to-win situation" while also saying (on the very same page and the one after it) that you earn more experience and rank up faster as an owner of many NFTs and "earning ranking rewards will give you an advantage over other players".

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Kyrosiris posted:

Apparently every time this is brought up, there is a chorus of commentators that point out that NFTs don't have the same sort of toxic reception in Japan for some reason. That would explain why SE still seems so full steam ahead about the idea when the rest of the world has realized they're a scam. :shrug:

Possibly because of a language barrier meaning the only stuff about NFTs in Japanese is the slick press releases and fawning credulous tech media coverage and not the dumbest most obnoxious motherfuckers on Twitter, at my guess.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

The Japanese love twitter, I'm sure there are nearly as many NFT dipshits posting in Japanese

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Japan and east asia in general are also just way way more into crypto than the west

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
you know how goons made fan translations for japanese games? we need to do the reverse and translate Dan Olson's Line Go Up

Barudak
May 7, 2007

From my experience working in Japan its a healthy combination of

1) Old dudes who are in charge due to time not knowhow knowing gently caress all about crypto or what they should be doing as a department head but its buzzing
2) Language barrier/News bubbles
3) The idea of crypto and NFT being way more vague than in English so easy to slap on projects in a way that wont draw stares in English
4) An absolute dearth of digitally savvy talent in organizations
5) NFT genuinely worked for Konami who get in early, so look it works in Japan!!!!

I had to kill an NFT concept at my business here. Wont stand for it.

Barudak fucked around with this message at 08:57 on Mar 17, 2023

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.

Barudak posted:

I had to kill an NFT concept at my business here. Wont stand for it.

Sounds like a story, if you're cool with sharing that is. I'd be interested in how these sorts of things get pitched and what the actual background knowledge of NFTs the person suggesting it is.

WarEternal
Dec 26, 2010

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Heran Bago posted:

I like how the start point is "Hold NFTs for a long time without selling them" and sits in the center of the flowchart, spiraling outwards from there.

Hold MULTIPLE NFTs, sir.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

A lotta yall still dont get it. Ancient holders can use multiple Mako Slurps on a single Ancient.

So if you have 1 Aerith Ancient and 3 Mako Slurps you can create 3 new Ancients.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Drakenel posted:

Sounds like a story, if you're cool with sharing that is. I'd be interested in how these sorts of things get pitched and what the actual background knowledge of NFTs the person suggesting it is.

Effectively they wanted to do something we could already do without NFTs. Their entire understanding of NFTs was "its an art selling system" and "its trendy I wanna be trendy too!" and they knew literally nothing about blockchain, fees, reselling NFTs, any of it. Didn't stop them from still pushing it even after having it painstakingly explained because so many people love it, its cool!

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

Barudak posted:

Effectively they wanted to do something we could already do without NFTs. Their entire understanding of NFTs was "its an art selling system" and "its trendy I wanna be trendy too!" and they knew literally nothing about blockchain, fees, reselling NFTs, any of it. Didn't stop them from still pushing it even after having it painstakingly explained because so many people love it, its cool!

So every NFT pitch ever?

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.

Barudak posted:

About what I suspected, really. Honestly I'd think after too many of those you'd set an expectation that if you're going to pitch anything, research the hell out of it first.

But I might be giving people too much credit.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

95% of the time, pitches are made on an "it'd be cool if" or "this seems popular" basis. Research happens after you generate interest, typically alongside or as part of brainstorming.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Barudak posted:

Did you try just pointing them at any number of game reskins that slap a bunch of anime TnA on a game and say "Look, we can still make all of the money. Just add tits."?

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

Kith posted:

95% of the time, pitches are made on an "it'd be cool if" or "this seems popular" basis. Research happens after you generate interest, typically alongside or as part of brainstorming.

Fair, I suppose. I clearly don't partake in creative or business endeavors to know what that typically looks like. Goes back to giving people too much credit, I suppose.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

This story is really sweet. https://www.wired.com/story/mystery-of-cart-life-death-rebirth/

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

In less great news… How about some artificial digital scarcity?

https://twitter.com/videogamedeals/status/1638213857435959296?s=61&t=-vp9P7i8Kl2W3uKiLPEWrA

Veotax
May 16, 2006

The Bettlefield games I can understand, not agree with but understand. They're shutting down the servers so you can't play multiplayer anymore.

But Mirror's Edge is a fully singleplayer game. I think the only online component is leaderboards for the time trials or something?

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

The Bad Company games have a pretty beefy single player campaign too, especially the first game. So... still absolutely baffling.

I'm pretty sure Bad Company 2 is still semi-popular to play multiplayer still.

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010
https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1638268889657376768?s=20

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Ubisoft continues to push the boundaries of quantity over quality

https://twitter.com/VGC_News/status/1638300985666797572

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
It's been clear for awhile now that ubisoft has been interested in procgenning their way out of staffing costs and design decisions.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Can’t get in trouble for sexually harassing staff if there’s no staff

Barudak
May 7, 2007

DC Murderverse posted:

Can’t get in trouble for sexually harassing staff if there’s no staff

I am confident we can build an AI that exists only to harass other AI

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

I just kind of have to sit back and wonder what they're thinking. Okay, I know what they're thinking, but you get what I mean.

Didn't they do a complete restructuring a few years back because people pointed out that "it's an Ubisoft game" described an entire gameplay loop, no matter how wildly different the franchises theoretically were? Because if one of the complaints about my studio's output was "it's an indistinguishable slurry," using procedural generation would probably be pretty low on my priority list for poo poo to implement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The games which are slurry come out and sell well. The ones about being a boat captain or an intergalactic reporter do not.

Seems obvious