Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Actually, it seems like it's only L1/R1 that are the issue, L2/R2 are fine, but I have to sort of angle my hands differently to reach L1/R1. In most games that isn't an issue; it was just a problem in Yakuza 0 since it uses those for block/lock-on. I might just see if it lets me switch L1/L2 and R1/R2.

I got FF12 Zodiac Age since I don't think I ever beat the original, so I look forward to trying that out tomorrow; apparently it runs quite well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

jokes posted:

I forget if you need to download the trial version via steam or something but I think there’s a guide in the launcher itself (found in the discover store). Join the SA steam deck discord for further help, I’m sure someone there can help too!

It does need the trial version, but the XIVLauncher installation automatically does that now, so no need to manually do that anymore

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

There's a 10% sale for the deck, I have family in America. It isn't available in South East Asia. I am considering asking them to create a steam account to order a 512gb on my behalf, sent to them in America and then when they return to South east Asia in June bring it over to me. Is this a viable strategy (I assume the deck is not tied with the account purchasing it, and if it has problems they can claim warranty when they return to America), or are there better options available?

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Yeah you can sign in to any account with them

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Operation Flashpoint: Dragon Rising is $2.50 right now. It's an older game and a bastard of ARMA. It's pretty much what you'd expect out of a more modern version of the OG Ghost Recon games.

Runs amazing on deck and has great handheld controls by default

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Wrath of the righteous works better on the deck than I expected. The controller interface is pretty good. I'd setup the mods on a PC or with a keyboard though.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

It's me. My home network topology is too poo poo for in-home streaming, and downloading a game anew over a cable is more practical & quick than transferring over from my gaming PC.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

If you for some reason still have 100mb ethernet at home and can get more than that on your cable modems wifi, I can see that being the case

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Apologies if it's already been discussed, but it looks like SteamOS 3.5 is going to fix that pesky SMT bug that makes Wii games run really slow when it's turned on.

You can install the preview of SteamOS 3.5 by choosing the "main" development test branch in your Deck's settings. It's been pretty stable for me over the last week.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
I can't find a link to the kernel patch for the SMT issue but that's a crazy bug if the CPU tosses L3 when either thread goes to sleep. Disabling SMT is a pretty significant performance boost for any workload that's requires strong per-thread performance, GZDoom even.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I thought it was impressive that they made the SMT fix the way they did instead of just making PowerTools native.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
It sounds like AMD had already identified the issue and pushed the fix in the kernel, possibly before the Deck even released.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Played the first couple hours of Nier: Replicant. I know Automata is a direct sequel but it's still surprising just how similar the two games are both in gameplay and aesthetics.

The music in these games is a master-class in setting tone.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Holy poo poo, I got FFXIV running on this thing. Truly, we are living in the future. This makes me feel similar to the way I felt about the idea of "watching TV on a handheld device" when I was like 12 years old.

Going to need to mess around with the interface to do stuff like increase font size, but otherwise it seems pretty easily playable like this.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
I'd recommend starting with that option in I think System Configuration > Graphics that sets all the UI at a given percentage.

Depending on how you feel, on it ether 80 / 90 should be enough and then you can individually resize some elements, like the dialogue windows, pop-ups, and such, to be 100%

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Mar 17, 2023

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Ytlaya posted:

Holy poo poo, I got FFXIV running on this thing. Truly, we are living in the future. This makes me feel similar to the way I felt about the idea of "watching TV on a handheld device" when I was like 12 years old.

Going to need to mess around with the interface to do stuff like increase font size, but otherwise it seems pretty easily playable like this.

It makes me want a lil keyboard attachment somehow

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

They added a menu for custom boot videos but it’s much shittier than the decky plug-in

Valve just pay the decky guys or something

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

History Comes Inside! posted:

They added a menu for custom boot videos but it’s much shittier than the decky plug-in

Valve just pay the decky guys or something

For real though. Between the SMT fix, the custom boots, and the game artwork they really need to hit up the Decky guys.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

jokes posted:

Yeah, though I don't plan on doing anything serious with the Deck version; I'll just use my actual PC on the big screen for stuff like story content or higher-end dungeons (I also use controller on PC since I realized a while back that FFXIV controls much better with it, but my keyboard is nearby so I can still type if necessary). But the Deck version will be good for stuff like doing daily quests/duties (which I have a lot to catch up on, since I haven't played since around ~3.1 and haven't done any of the new beast tribe content).

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

I've cleared savage/extreme content on Steam Deck and so can you. :q:

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

jokes posted:

Any common or garden Bluetooth keyboard should work, right?

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Yeah, I use one of those foldable Bluetooth keyboards for chatting in FFXIV

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

jokes posted:

For real though. Between the SMT fix, the custom boots, and the game artwork they really need to hit up the Decky guys.

It’s weird because valve is literally known for buying companies that make something they find useful and integrating them into the team

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

It’s weird because valve is literally known for buying companies that make something they find useful and integrating them into the team

Thinking about it, they might be not doing it because of all the potentially copyrighted content the decky plugins integrate into the UI

Like basically the whole animations storefront is wall to wall rips of stuff from other IP, sometimes with an element that could probably arguably make it parody/fair use or whatever and sometimes not, IANAL

Didn’t Nintendo successfully DMCA loving cover art off of steamgriddb or something?

Sloth Socks
May 13, 2005

dangling is the finest of all the arts in all the worlds

Lipstick Apathy

Harlock posted:

Apart from a few hours here or there, my 1k+ hours of FFXIV have been played via Moonlight on my phone + BT controller, and then on my Deck when I got it last year. Got a cheapo 10 buck BT keyboard from Walmart for chatting, but yeah - live that Eorzea life while lying down, everybody. It rules.

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Nobody wants to die except the suicides. They're no fun.

jokes posted:

the SMT fix in PowerTools isn't really a fix, it's a workaround by disabling SMT (and potentially losing performance). the fix is to upgrade the kernel so it doesn't require disabling SMT, which Valve is doing.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Harlock posted:

I haven't even cleared savage/extreme content on any platform (even though I have *checks Steam* 2751.5 hours in the game).

It's kind of a shame, because I feel like "learning high-end FFXIV fights with a static group" would probably be a ton of fun (it's basically the most fun-sounding MMO-related activity I can imagine), but it seems to require a time commitment that I'm not really willing to make. (And trying to do them with a random party finder group sounds equivalently unpleasant)

edit: I'd be curious to get a statistic on what portion of my gameplay hours were spent on leveling all the crafting jobs (which is apparently much easier these days, but when I did it it involved lots of bird quests). The funny thing is that I never crafted anything high end and absolutely came out in the red from investing in it. The highlight is when I bought a full set of elite Shadowbringers crafting gear almost immediately before taking a long break before the release of Endwalker. Still 100% worth it due to all the crafting job quests + beast tribes though.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Mar 17, 2023

Suran37
Feb 28, 2009
Anyone else had issues where the Deck doesn't auto-connect to your wifi and can almost never connect to Steam servers? I tried disabling the wifi power saving in the dev menu but it doesn't really seem to have helped.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Suran37 posted:

Anyone else had issues where the Deck doesn't auto-connect to your wifi and can almost never connect to Steam servers? I tried disabling the wifi power saving in the dev menu but it doesn't really seem to have helped.

Reboot the router

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

parasyte posted:

the SMT fix in PowerTools isn't really a fix, it's a workaround by disabling SMT (and potentially losing performance). the fix is to upgrade the kernel so it doesn't require disabling SMT, which Valve is doing.

I just mean that they really fill a niche and please the community enough that Valve would get a lot of goodwill by paying them as consultants or whatever to integrate their thangs into SteamOS.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

I thought I’d filled my 256gb micro sd with stuff so I begrudgingly took out my wallet and bought a 512gb to replace it with.

I sit here backing it up to transfer and find that at some point steam put 51gb of Witcher 3 files on the sd card, and actually I could have just nuked that and carried on.

How.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

History Comes Inside! posted:

Thinking about it, they might be not doing it because of all the potentially copyrighted content the decky plugins integrate into the UI

Like basically the whole animations storefront is wall to wall rips of stuff from other IP, sometimes with an element that could probably arguably make it parody/fair use or whatever and sometimes not, IANAL

Didn’t Nintendo successfully DMCA loving cover art off of steamgriddb or something?

They did.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Is it easy enough to install GTA V from outside the Steam store, or am I in for a world of pain?

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?
Question: Am I going to see any significant read/write speed reduction if I install a PCIe 3.0 NVMe drive vs a PCIe 4.0 one?

I'm looking at these two:
https://www.amazon.com/SABRENT-Rocket-2230-Performance-SB-2130-1TB/dp/B0BQG6JCRP

https://www.newegg.com/p/3B8-001M-00073

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

No.

Science_enthusiast
Dec 2, 2018

TECH(no) WOMBLE

Suran37 posted:

I have had this problem and rebootong the router is not a solution fo me. So far the only solution i have is to reboot the console.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Talorat posted:

Question: Am I going to see any significant read/write speed reduction if I install a PCIe 3.0 NVMe drive vs a PCIe 4.0 one?

I'm looking at these two:
https://www.amazon.com/SABRENT-Rocket-2230-Performance-SB-2130-1TB/dp/B0BQG6JCRP

https://www.newegg.com/p/3B8-001M-00073

The answer is no. The long answer is even if it did matter, you would never hit the bandwidth cap if you tried

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Science_enthusiast posted:

I have had this problem and rebootong the router is not a solution fo me. So far the only solution i have is to reboot the console.

I have the same issue, restarting the Deck always resolves it

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

RBA Starblade posted:

I have the same issue, restarting the Deck always resolves it

Yeah, the WiFi Chip is terrible and there's some power saving fuckery

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Is there a way to sort my library by date purchased? I just want to see all the stuff I got at this sale. Why is this so hard?