Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: weg, Toxic Mental)

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse
Elegant music btw

https://twitter.com/justartsndstuff/status/1636748119974236161

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Borscht posted:

Fwiw, the us confirmed they wiped software before they lost contact with the drone. So I guess they have a CD copy of DBAN in every drone just in case

Nearly every Air Force aircraft has a master zero (wipe) builtin, either a switch or relay, that wipes everything on the plane in case of a crash.

zone
Dec 6, 2016

CommieGIR posted:

Never does, ICC is largely symbolic but its also pretty damning.

I mean, at least we're going to see a great deal of seething about this on Russia 1 so it's good for the entertainment value if nothing else.

https://twitter.com/NOELreports/status/1636742537296719873
90 planes and 60 choppers? that's going to be a tall order to deal with unless quite a few smoking accidents happen at those bases.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Borscht posted:

Fwiw, the us confirmed they wiped software before they lost contact with the drone. So I guess they have a CD copy of DBAN in every drone just in case

uploading huge.jpg

EorayMel posted:

I don't think this will amount to much, unfortunately.

Ah well, nevertheless

Oscar Wilde Bunch
Jun 12, 2012

Grimey Drawer

zone posted:

I mean, at least we're going to see a great deal of seething about this on Russia 1 so it's good for the entertainment value if nothing else.

https://twitter.com/NOELreports/status/1636742537296719873
90 planes and 60 choppers? that's going to be a tall order to deal with unless quite a few smoking accidents happen at those bases.

Doesn't mention what % of those actually work.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

ah yes the Crimean sandcastle

https://twitter.com/Gerashchenko_en/status/1631682091149844480?s=20
https://twitter.com/GlasnostGone/status/1636297182553812992?s=20

zone
Dec 6, 2016

https://twitter.com/wartranslated/status/1636450410067099648
They (Rusich) already made fun of the "defenses" in Zaporizhzhia yesterday, the ones in Crimea won't be any better in quality, that's for certain.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Potemkin Maginot line

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

zone posted:

In theory Russia has something like 1,500 active mutirole/fighters/ground attack aircraft. Even assuming that a large fraction of those are scrap or whatever that is still franky an absolute insane amount of aircraft.

zone
Dec 6, 2016

https://twitter.com/BBCWorld/status/1636756451333947394
A vote for Finland joining NATO will be tabled in the Turkish parliament. Seems like Finland is in.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Man Trump's looking slimmer these days!

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Telsa Cola posted:

In theory Russia has something like 1,500 active mutirole/fighters/ground attack aircraft. Even assuming that a large fraction of those are scrap or whatever that is still franky an absolute insane amount of aircraft.
Yes I'd guess lots of them aren't functional, many of the remaining are needed to cover the enormous territory of the empire to keep China/Japan away, and the rest haven't been that effective due to heavy AA coverage (outside of launching cruise missiles). So if the front gets close enough to Crimea, I'd expect that they won't be able to do that much either.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there

zone posted:

#insert <chornobaivka.jpg>

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

There's like ONE trench line with no redoubts or underground fortifications lol

This is literally the worst thing I've ever seen in terms of Nazi doom fortresses

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Pretty damned sure that's all old footage & pics, why did they bother. :shrug:

zone
Dec 6, 2016

https://twitter.com/Flash_news_ua/status/1636736590478209024
1 million shells this year? great! Even half this many would be helpful to no end, for all that.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

There's like ONE trench line with no redoubts or underground fortifications lol

This is literally the worst thing I've ever seen in terms of Nazi doom fortresses

at least there's a zig zag

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Are they honestly expecting Ukraine to carry out an amphibious assault anyways? They wouldn't go that route most likely, they lack a lot of what is needed to do so.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

mobby_6kl posted:

Yes I'd guess lots of them aren't functional, many of the remaining are needed to cover the enormous territory of the empire to keep China/Japan away, and the rest haven't been that effective due to heavy AA coverage (outside of launching cruise missiles). So if the front gets close enough to Crimea, I'd expect that they won't be able to do that much either.

That's a ton of assumptions to be making though, and it's not like Russia has shown any fear of China or Japan encroaching on their territory since they have very visbily pulled troops from those "threatened" areas.

The entire area is so saturated with AA that I'm not really sure anybody can really do anything effectively outside maybe getting a couple of rare strikes in.

Edit: like if we say that 2/3rds of those aircraft are scrap, so 1000 aircraft, that still leaves like 500 to throw at poo poo. Ukraine has ~80 with the new deliveries.

Telsa Cola fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Mar 17, 2023

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Alan Smithee posted:

at least there's a zig zag

That seems disastrously close to the waterline.

e: That has to be just some kind of "kids' play trench" sandcastle thing.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Just Another Lurker posted:

Pretty damned sure that's all old footage & pics, why did they bother. :shrug:

surely Crimean defenses have achieved tech tree level IV by now

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Honestly Crimea is a tough tough nut to crack. And Ukraine would lose a huge amount of people unless the Russians desaturate the garrisons. It'll be a bloodbath. They don't have the naval apparatus to conduct a water assault, so they'd go through the marshlands. Which is a pretty big bottleneck. Theyd need a near total collapse of the Russian military to make it not a cauldron of earth.

Or a protracted siege of the entire island with lots of AA around the sea of azov.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

Honestly Crimea is a tough tough nut to crack. And Ukraine would lose a huge amount of people unless the Russians desaturate the garrisons. It'll be a bloodbath. They don't have the naval apparatus to conduct a water assault, so they'd go through the marshlands. Which is a pretty big bottleneck. Theyd need a near total collapse of the Russian military to make it not a cauldron of earth.

Or a protracted siege of the entire island with lots of AA around the sea of azov.

I suspect if Ukraine ever even gets in a position to look towards Crimea, they'll largely focus on cutting them off and giving them the ol' HIMARS treatment.

zone
Dec 6, 2016

CommieGIR posted:

Are they honestly expecting Ukraine to carry out an amphibious assault anyways? They wouldn't go that route most likely, they lack a lot of what is needed to do so.

That does seem to be their primary fear. Maybe they think America or Europe might hand Ukraine enough equipment to make it a reality. However it hasn't stopped them from strengthening Perekop and the territory behind it as well, at least in Potemkin terms. Ukraine might just use the tactics of trying to cut supplies to the peninsula, while targeting military installations there using missiles, drones, or aviation instead in any case.

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

Crimea isn't really defensible. Soviets and Germans figured that one out long ago.

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse
https://twitter.com/NOELreports/status/1636757491320061957

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

zone posted:

That does seem to be their primary fear. Maybe they think America or Europe might hand Ukraine enough equipment to make it a reality. However it hasn't stopped them from strengthening Perekop and the territory behind it as well, at least in Potemkin terms. Ukraine might just use the tactics of trying to cut supplies to the peninsula, while targeting military installations there using missiles, drones, or aviation instead in any case.

Yeah I always assumed it was just propaganda, but its laughable that they think Ukraine would pull a D-Day in the first place.

They don't have to. They could just park on the other bank and shell every defensive position and fortification into dust with HIMARs and 155mm without even stepping foot in Crimea, especially if they cut off Crimea entirely.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Telsa Cola posted:

That's a ton of assumptions to be making though, and it's not like Russia has shown any fear of China or Japan encroaching on their territory since they have very visbily pulled troops from those "threatened" areas.

The entire area is so saturated with AA that I'm not really sure anybody can really do anything effectively outside maybe getting a couple of rare strikes in.

Edit: like if we say that 2/3rds of those aircraft are scrap, so 1000 aircraft, that still leaves like 500 to throw at poo poo. Ukraine has ~80 with the new deliveries.
Sure they do have many, but all this is based on what they've been doing so far this war. Which is launching cruise missiles from out of range and occasional CAS attempts.

CommieGIR posted:

I suspect if Ukraine ever even gets in a position to look towards Crimea, they'll largely focus on cutting them off and giving them the ol' HIMARS treatment.
I'm more concerned about actually getting to the point of threatening Crimea than with the peninsula itself.

EatMySpork
Nov 19, 2009

Utensil of the Gods.
*edit beaten.

ICC issued an arrest warrant for poot poot over war crimes.

Jimlit
Jun 30, 2005

If Ukraine is mounting an amphibious assault things in Crimea are well beyond "zig zag beach trench will solve it" levels of hosed.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

mobby_6kl posted:

Sure they do have many, but all this is based on what they've been doing so far this war. Which is launching cruise missiles from out of range and occasional CAS attempts.

I'm more concerned about actually getting to the point of threatening Crimea than with the peninsula itself.

Yeah, I don't disagree with the fact they are doing that. I just don't see Ukraine not being forced to also act similarly given the AA situation and the fact that it's highly unlikely they will be able to force air superiority.

Pot Smoke Phoenix
Aug 15, 2007

Smoke 'em if you gottem!
Dinosaur Gum

Let's go get that horse blowing, pants-making GBS threads fecal eater (who I killed in my sleep not very long ago I might add) and arrest him!

Luna
May 31, 2001

A hand full of seeds and a mouthful of dirt

bad_fmr posted:

Blyat with cheese

Filet of Fishbrick

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

Power Khan posted:

Crimea isn't really defensible. Soviets and Germans figured that one out long ago.

??? It's supremely defensible, given the only route in is the 5km narrow Perekop isthmus, unless they want to make an extremely risky attempt at crossing the Syvash marshlands. Every assault has resulted in disproportionately high casualties for the attacking force. It would be reverse Bakhmut. Makes much more sense to get to the post-2014 border and blow the poo poo out of the Kerch bridge and just wait, although if/when that happens it's going to result in some extremely distressing humanitarian consequences.

Butterfly Valley fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Mar 17, 2023

Pekinduck
May 10, 2008
Russia has already gotten a Predator to look at before, Serbia gave them a crashed one. They probably haven't been able to get a Reaper yet. The USA says the drone was still controllable after the crash which tracks with the video so they probably slammed it into the ocean as hard as they could.

Lol, the USA once lost radio contact with a predator in Afghanistan and it just kept merrily buzzing along towards a foriegn border. They sent up a fighter to blow it up, the missle damaged it enough so it couldn't fly back but the radio suddenly started working again. They steered it into a mountainside so it was unrecoverable. That must have been frustrating!

Pekinduck fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Mar 17, 2023

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Butterfly Valley posted:

??? It's supremely defensible, given the only route in is the 5km narrow Perekop isthmus, unless they want to make an extremely risky attempt at crossing the Syvash marshlands. Every assault has resulted in disproportionately high casualties for the attacking force. It would be reverse Bakhmut. Makes much more sense to get to the post-2014 border and blow the poo poo out of the Kerch bridge and just wait.

I think that's the point, without the bridge and with everything within ATACMs range, the occupiers would be pretty stuck there.

zone
Dec 6, 2016

https://twitter.com/guillaume_ptak/status/1636687384724004865
Here's a short thread detailing the formation, recruitment process, and organization of the new Offensive Guard regiments being prepared for the spring and summer offensives.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Pray for those OGs. Having to be first to see the poo-strewn filth of Russian defensive positions can’t be an easy task.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

I have information about the current whereabouts of an internationally wanted war criminal. If any LE are reading this please PM me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

zone posted:

https://twitter.com/guillaume_ptak/status/1636687384724004865
Here's a short thread detailing the formation, recruitment process, and organization of the new Offensive Guard regiments being prepared for the spring and summer offensives.

Which brigade do you think with have the most Weedlord Bonerhitlers signed up?