Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the most powerful flying bug?
This poll is closed.
🦋 15 3.71%
🦇 115 28.47%
🪰 12 2.97%
🐦 67 16.58%
dragonfly 94 23.27%
🦟 14 3.47%
🐝 87 21.53%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

euphronius posted:

I can’t beleive they went after the president of a UNSC state hahah. what in the loving world

well that's one way to make sure there's no way back now

wait till the west turns it full attention on China. It's gonna get wacky

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Herman Merman
Jul 6, 2008

Al-Saqr posted:

hey quick question does belgium recognize what they did in Congo as a holocaust or genocide at all.
Well,

razorscooter
Nov 5, 2008

not making any predictions on this until al saqr gets out

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
has Russia commented on what happened with the kids? Like the west has decided they were kidnapped and sent to the salt mines but as far as I can tell they've not reported a Russian response and I don't know whether that's because we don't need to know what the bad guys say or if they haven't commented at all

like that seems a good point to actually examine the situation. Why did these kids get sent to Russia and where are they now. Examine the Russian response and see if it makes sense or not and if there's any obvious lies.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

quote:

The King set up an International Commission of Inquiry, which recognised the merits of the royal action in Congo, while pointing out abuses and shortcomings.

You've really got to hand it to him

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Regarde Aduck posted:

well that's one way to make sure there's no way back now

wait till the west turns it full attention on China. It's gonna get wacky

"An arrest warrant has been issued for President Xi for his repression of freedom of speech in Hong Kong."

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

https://twitter.com/RVAwonk/status/1636765407255117824?s=20

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

the ICC is kot directly related to the UN like the IcJ was but still

that’s a bit Matzah ball

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

https://twitter.com/iaponomarenko/status/1543021313148739587

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013

:clint:

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

Those comments lol

People living in a loving dream world.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I hope the ICC hires Robert mueller

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

euphronius posted:

I hope the ICC hires Robert mueller

https://twitter.com/JohnBurrowsCA/status/1636750471258947589?s=20

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d24ZpzoZkQE

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

That's bait

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Not So Fast
Dec 27, 2007

Regarde Aduck posted:

has Russia commented on what happened with the kids? Like the west has decided they were kidnapped and sent to the salt mines but as far as I can tell they've not reported a Russian response and I don't know whether that's because we don't need to know what the bad guys say or if they haven't commented at all

like that seems a good point to actually examine the situation. Why did these kids get sent to Russia and where are they now. Examine the Russian response and see if it makes sense or not and if there's any obvious lies.

Russia has tended to use it as propaganda quite a bit but it also doesn't really reach English-language press much aside from Zelenskyy talking about stolen children

The most recent articles I read were these from a few months ago:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2023/02/26/russia-ukraine-war-children-reeducation-camps/
https://hub.conflictobservatory.org/portal/sharing/rest/content/items/97f919ccfe524d31a241b53ca44076b8/data

The basic findings are that about 6,000 children, a mix of those either separated from their parents or orphans, have been evacuated into Russia or are in camps in the annexed areas such as Crimea. Its an initiative driven by figures appointed by Putin, such as Maria Lvova-Belova who was also charged by the ICC. One of the key problems is that according to the UN, Russia "does not appear to include steps for family reunification or respect the best interests of the child." and so parents who signed away consent over their child in the confusion of the invasion are unable to get their children back.

anyway, imagine a state separating refugee kids from their parents, who would do such a thing /s

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
It sounds kind of sketchy in isolation with no context if you knew nothing else about what was happening, but less so once you understand that millions of Ukrainian refugees have fled to and are now living in Russia. Russian and Ukraine had more or less free movement and open borders even after 2014, at least hundreds of thousands, if not millions, of Ukrainians lived and worked in Russia full time visa free.

RWA did a long spiel about a Ukrainian family in Mauriupol who survived the siege and were evacuated to Russia, from whence they then went on to France where they lived as refugees. I can believe that its not uncommon for Ukrainians to flee to the west via Russia. Reminds of of the insane western commentators going onabout how they are going to fight China to the last Taiwanese, who are all going to fight to the last round before hurling themselves off a cliff for *freedom* (meanwhile upwards of 5% -10% of Taiwanese already loving live, work or study on the Mainland full time).

PoontifexMacksimus
Feb 14, 2012

Slavvy posted:

Recently read a book that had the end of the Napoleonic wars in the background and the characters expressed distaste at everyone in the street having caricatures of Napoleon; they're of the opinion that he was a right bastard but the French fought bravely and even an utter brute like him deserves better than filthy peasants capering in the street mocking him.

So same as it ever was.

That's pretty funny, what was the book? Don't see too many novels set during the wars that aren't Sharpe/Hornblower

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

PhilippAchtel posted:

Those comments lol

People living in a loving dream world.

This seems like a move calculated to keep libs on board, since they were already screaming about the unprovoked ILLEGAL war of aggression etc. etc.

Herman Merman
Jul 6, 2008

sullat posted:

You've really got to hand it to him
Look, mistakes were made but it's impossible to say who's to blame

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Supposedly another massed air strike with RC scooters is happening right now.

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

Al-Saqr posted:

oh my god

Orc Amazon Waifus are real

please kristina baby

please my babushka

marry me

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Lol

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

https://twitter.com/DefenceU/status/1636790150481969168

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/ZelenskyyUa/status/1636475633369772033?s=20

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

This moron forgot Green Ukraine. imo she should be killed for not respecting ukraine

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

lol

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

I fully support bringing everyone to justice who brought terror and war to the eastern part of Ukraine. Thank you mr president.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

big loving mushroom cloud in dnepropetrovsk rn

probably an ammo depot or something

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

This, but unironically

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

If separating children from parents is a war crime I expect the ICC to be serving Obama, Trump, and Biden any day now

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

The Russian posters sure seem to be taking the ICC thing more seriously than we are.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Who is going to arrest Putin ?

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

euphronius posted:

https://www.politifact.com/factchecks/2014/jul/17/facebook-posts/are-george-w-bush-dick-cheney-unable-visit-europe-/

FALSE

Terminal autist
May 17, 2018

by vyelkin

euphronius posted:

Me, dog the bounty hunter and the one dude who killed chris kyle.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Putin is already in Europe !!

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Lostconfused posted:

The Russian posters sure seem to be taking the ICC thing more seriously than we are.

They probably have a shred of respect for the ICC, but not, I suspect, for much longer

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

That's jungle Europe, he can't visit the garden Europe.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

New embarrassing reenactors just dropped

Any guesses? Hint: Just like Putin, this group was made up of hardened war criminals, but unlike beautiful and pure Ukraine, could be found in Asia.

A similarity to Ukraine would be their treatment of African students. Also how many Political Ukrainians were in it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Timothy Snyder has so broken the brains of popular history writers that even my man Alexander Watson is mentioning “The Bloodlands” and the evils of the “two totalitarian dictators Hitler and Stalin” in the introduction of his book about the the Siege of Prezmysl Fortress.

I’m so cross!!