Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

after religiously doing the 15th-of-the-month nozdormu quest for who knows how many months, today I faced someone else who was also doing it, for the first time, twice in a row. feeling hashtag blessed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Desdinova
Dec 16, 2004
I had to be on my toes, like a midget at a urinal!
odd, had a match noz vs noz for the first time too today, the internet sure is weird

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006

NorgLyle posted:

This is the first time that I've actually been excited about an upcoming Hearthstone set since Whispers. So well done Blizzard; now just fix the Core set issues at the same time and we're golden.

I have to ask why? What is it about the very limited info about this expansion that is different?

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

Desdinova posted:

odd, had a match noz vs noz for the first time too today, the internet sure is weird

Everyone gets it around the same time I think, I had it too. I like these fun quests like that that break up the routine. I slapped together a super cheap and poorly thought out mech/holy paladin with noz in it just to smash a few quests simultaneously and came very close to beating a big spell mage, lol.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
by my count there are gonna be 81 non-Paladin class legendary minions after rotation, plus another 9ish in FoL, and then whichever changes they make to the Core set

I wonder how often Legendary Invitations are gonna be able to generate Hedanis and OTK with Holy Maki Roll

Julio Cruz fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Mar 16, 2023

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

WarEternal posted:

Druid's genre is apparently "hippie", alrighty then. Cool art and decent concept but the actual thought put into the design is bad/cringe.

It's because they cannot say psychadelic.

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Do you think I posted to this forum because I value your companionship?

Mr Beens posted:

I have to ask why? What is it about the very limited info about this expansion that is different?
I enjoy Hearthstone's worldbuilding when they're leaning heavily into the fun parts and ignoring traditional WoW's overly serious 'dramatic' garbage (like every single thing about Illidan, most everything about the Burning Legion, Arthas, Sylvanas, etc.). Festival of Legends looks like it will be a bunch of goofy characters doing ridiculous things all over the place and that is a very good thing.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
Scabbs is also really busted depending on your lobby, it's very quick to get and "get a copy of your next opponents buddy at the start of your turn" adds up extremely quickly

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Mr Beens posted:

Theming goes a long way IMO -- it sounds kind of silly but let's be real, it's not like Hearthstone has ever been some masterpiece of mechanical design, a big part of the draw is that the cards look and sound cool, the decks and strategies employed by different classes feel on-brand, and a variety of settings are explored in the expansions. Like aside from a few classic WoW references (Mankirk was great) they basically did 3 entire expansions of the dullest theme possible (Horde VS Alliance) and it majorly put me off the game. So something different is cool.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Sloppy posted:

Everyone gets it around the same time I think, I had it too. I like these fun quests like that that break up the routine. I slapped together a super cheap and poorly thought out mech/holy paladin with noz in it just to smash a few quests simultaneously and came very close to beating a big spell mage, lol.

yeah, everyone gets it on the 15th of every month, but I had never, ever played anyone else who also had noz in their deck until today. granted I was playing in standard and not casual

kater
Nov 16, 2010

The naga theme was p cool but gently caress frozen throne and nathria snorefests. Like Alterac Valley was oooooooookay sorrrta. It was a neat thing to make card mechanics out of I guess. That's the best compliment I've got. An entire standard set of mostly dull themes is rough.

Veev
Oct 21, 2010

K is for kid.
A guy or gal just like you.
Dont be in such a hurry to grow up, since there's nothin' a kid can't do.
The march of the lich king was supposed to be scourge vs silvermoon but I couldn't tell you which was which.

Just having each class have its own separate gimmick puts it ahead.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
The best theming from the past year was the Nathria miniset.

Veev posted:

The march of the lich king was supposed to be scourge vs silvermoon but I couldn't tell you which was which.

It's the kind of theming that is obvious if you know WoW and inscrutable otherwise.

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

WOKE UP IN THE DESERT AGAIN
Remember when new expansions were introduced as "hey check out this world/niche location we discovered and all the Hearthstone cards that dwelt within"

Instead of,

"Here's our design process. Theme: Music. Brainstorm music genres, assign to class! Neat, huh? And now, here's a bunch of broken bullshit that's going to ruin the meta until we nerf everything on the eve of the next expansion!
.. oh and we have a brand new *first* *time* *ever* (x version of y) for no reason other than it hasn't been done before. Buy our bullshit, idiot."

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

So are you going to buy the expansion or are you posting here to announce that you're going strictly F2P?

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

Scholtz posted:

So are you going to buy the expansion or are you posting here to announce that you're going strictly F2P?

This is seriously going to be my last expansion unless they really introduce something significant to make the game more fun for the new rotation. I'll be open minded about the roadmap, but they gotta do something more than good theming.

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

WOKE UP IN THE DESERT AGAIN

Scholtz posted:

I'm going to periodically check-in to see if the deck-builder tavern brawl has rotated back in yet.

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

I recall getting a survey about possible future set themes a while back and all of them sounded extremely dull as someone who doesn’t actually play WoW and is just here for the card games. Emerald dream stuff was the best of a bad lot of the stuff they were suggesting. Happy for this set cause the theming is obvious and funny and not a bunch of references that go over my head and a pile of cityname militaryguy cards that are hard to remember or distinguish when posted about as text

bravesword
Apr 13, 2012

Silent Protagonist
As someone who has no knowledge of or interest in Warcraft lore, if the selling point of a set is “check out this classic Warcraft storyline — in card form!” that doesn’t do anything for me. Show me cool cards, dammit. In addition to some stupid design decisions, the Year of the Gryphon was pretty lame because it seemed like they leaned in to being as generic as possible because hey, that’s the WoW experience.

Then with Lich King they were trying to hype it up as the most compelling storyline in all of Warcraft, and I played the PVE content and thought “This is literally the plot of the Star Wars prequels.” Are your standards truly that low?

When Pigs Cry
Oct 23, 2012
Buglord
Yeah, thematically, the sets I remember most aren't the "Just Warcraft" ones. I'm sure it was cool to see the mercenaries go through the different stages of a wow character or whatever, but I'd much prefer a goofy party or Dinosaurs/Lovecraft But Warcraft.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge

Lord_Magmar posted:

It's because they cannot say psychadelic.

Why not “Flower Power”, that even fits Druid pretty well

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

bravesword posted:

As someone who has no knowledge of or interest in Warcraft lore, if the selling point of a set is “check out this classic Warcraft storyline — in card form!” that doesn’t do anything for me. Show me cool cards, dammit. In addition to some stupid design decisions, the Year of the Gryphon was pretty lame because it seemed like they leaned in to being as generic as possible because hey, that’s the WoW experience.

Then with Lich King they were trying to hype it up as the most compelling storyline in all of Warcraft, and I played the PVE content and thought “This is literally the plot of the Star Wars prequels.” Are your standards truly that low?

The whole gryphon year was planned that way because of the huge popularity of wow classic. The biggest problem of the theme imo was that the new characters seem kind of forced. Like they needed to come up with new people to make cosmetic interactions out of instead of all the same "heroes of warcraft" that we've been seeing for years.

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Do you think I posted to this forum because I value your companionship?

When Pigs Cry posted:

Yeah, thematically, the sets I remember most aren't the "Just Warcraft" ones. I'm sure it was cool to see the mercenaries go through the different stages of a wow character or whatever, but I'd much prefer a goofy party or Dinosaurs/Lovecraft But Warcraft.
Mean Streets was also pretty fun because it was almost entirely made up for Hearthstone. I know people hated the larger and larger mans but the theme was great.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

When Pigs Cry posted:

Sometimes they can do both, like with Un'goro or Darkmoon Faire.

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.
Is there some bug with the app on iPhone? Ever since the patch, whenever I start a match it just hangs there. I have to close and reopen the game two or three times before it works.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

BG pro tip: even though it's not phrased that way, Patient Scout is an "at the end of this turn" effect. Pretty good with the Ragnaros buddy!

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Orange Crush Rush posted:

Why not “Flower Power”, that even fits Druid pretty well

That's almost guaranteed going to be a card name.

peer
Jan 17, 2004

this is not what I wanted

Color Printer posted:

Called shot: a neutral Spinal Tap reference card that lets any class go up to 11 Mana.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

check out the flavor text

we might not be out of the woods yet :ohdear:

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

Well. I was half right. Maybe the flavor text wi-

oh come the gently caress on!

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Uh wow. This will either be the next Togwaggle if there’s ways to take advantage of it, or just a meme card in standard. In Wild there’s some funny stuff you can do like Myra’s Unstable Element(draws your whole deck). By the way devs have clarified it doesn’t work with Steamcleaner.

This can’t possibly backfire. Jokes aside it’s actually really good against aggro decks

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

RatHat posted:

Uh wow. This will either be the next Togwaggle if there’s ways to take advantage of it, or just a meme card in standard. In Wild there’s some funny stuff you can do like Myra’s Unstable Element(draws your whole deck). By the way devs have clarified it doesn’t work with Steamcleaner.

This can’t possibly backfire. Jokes aside it’s actually really good against aggro decks

it's a constant effect which means the decks swap back if it dies, is removed from the board or gets silenced

it *might* be part of some convoluted combo (especially in Wild) but realistically it will just be a pseudo-taunt that sometimes draws you a card from your opponent's deck

Excelzior fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Mar 17, 2023

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Excelzior posted:

it's a constant effect which means the decks swap back if it dies, is removed from the board or gets silenced

it *might* be part of some convoluted combo (especially in Wild) but realistically it will just be a pseudo-taunt that sometimes draws you a card from your opponent's deck

I can see it getting traction if Jailer Paladin becomes a thing again.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
if the meta stays combo-heavy then Tony + a good draw spell might be reasonably good disruption

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:
Just E.T.C. things

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

I can see it getting traction if Jailer Paladin becomes a thing again.

Yeah the Jailer is a possible combo but you can’t do it in one turn without some sort of mana cheat

There’s Vanndar but he’s rotating thankfully.

bravesword
Apr 13, 2012

Silent Protagonist
I always have to wonder how often you will play Jailer, not immediately die on the next turn, and still need more in order to win. Also, Cariel goes, which is the single most important card to any slow Paladin deck.

I kind of like him more as a disruption card for an aggro deck — get ahead on board, play him, and make them clear the board with your low-impact aggro cards.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Edit: I read gud.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

mcbexx posted:

Why's this game called Hearthstove? It's either a hearth, or it's a stove. It can't be both!!!

Buddy...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fanny packrat
Mar 24, 2018
Powerful posting energy.