Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Indie game in development, hasn't been released. I recall seeing it in some direct (wholesome/Nintendo/Sony/idk!) but can't remember which of the dozens of shows I saw it in.

It's set in a Disney-like world of funny animal people. You're the veteran of a horrendous war and just travel the countryside reconnecting with people. Featured Ghibli-esque visuals, soft colors and cel shading. Cute 3D characters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Sounds like Aka. it released but it's pretty buggy and unstable as of last time I played

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I found it buried deep, Sunset Hills. My memory is pretty shoddy because the character art is all 2D lol. Sad to hear about Aka I liked the demo from last year.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
I have this vague memory of a magazine advert, maybe early 90's with a bunch of equipment listed and little pictures and descriptions, stuff like rocket launcher, bullet proof vest etc, anyone know what i'm talking about

Cidrick
Jun 10, 2001

Praise the siamese

JollyBoyJohn posted:

I have this vague memory of a magazine advert, maybe early 90's with a bunch of equipment listed and little pictures and descriptions, stuff like rocket launcher, bullet proof vest etc, anyone know what i'm talking about

That was the original NES metal gear

https://www.reddit.com/r/gaming/comments/75x5nq/metal_gear_nes_poster_back_when_comics_came_with/

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Magic that's the one

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?

JollyBoyJohn posted:

Magic that's the one

Just so you know, the NES version is an inferior port of the original MSX2 version. Among other changes, they had to replace certain bosses because the NES wasn't powerful enough to handle the original bosses. The original final boss (the Metal Gear itself) was actually removed completely, so the end of the NES version is a huge anticlimax.

If you want to play the real version, pick up a copy of Metal Gear Solid 3. It includes English versions of the MSX2 Metal Gear games.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority
I FEEL ASLEEP

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

The version of Metal Gear from MGS3 is also available standalone on GOG. Konami doesn't seem to have ever actually announced this fact anywhere. :iiam:

https://www.gog.com/en/game/metal_gear

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Dip Viscous posted:

The version of Metal Gear from MGS3 is also available standalone on GOG. Konami doesn't seem to have ever actually announced this fact anywhere. :iiam:

https://www.gog.com/en/game/metal_gear

Holy poo poo, I had no idea.

Maigius
Jun 29, 2013

This is a long shot, but there was a Shockwave plugin game from circa 1990-2002 involved being an extremely Gen X looking office man dropping water balloons on the street below. The better version was the original where it was a face on version of the building and you dropped balloons straight down. The second sequel (I never saw 2) was top down on a bridge. I'm pretty sure I played these games on either shockwave.com or. Games domain.com but it's been so long, there probably were other sites I went to back then.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

There's a whole series of flash games that was just called Waterballoon Drop, is it one of them?

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

It's a man's game, but boys will play

Maigius posted:

This is a long shot, but there was a Shockwave plugin game from circa 1990-2002 involved being an extremely Gen X looking office man dropping water balloons on the street below. The better version was the original where it was a face on version of the building and you dropped balloons straight down. The second sequel (I never saw 2) was top down on a bridge. I'm pretty sure I played these games on either shockwave.com or. Games domain.com but it's been so long, there probably were other sites I went to back then.

These are just called Water Balloon Drop

https://youtu.be/iHc957vEi2c

https://youtu.be/X6PXRDILUxc

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

I was first but Cognac had video clips, I can't tell which of us is more leet

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

It's a man's game, but boys will play

Hwurmp posted:

I was first but Cognac had video clips, I can't tell which of us is more leet

I've spent a lot of time reflecting on it and I've concluded that it's me

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
As a mod I can determine, it was either Hwurmp or Cognac, one of the two

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING
Let's not discount Maigius here. If they didn't post the request, Hwurmp or Cognac wouldn't have replied in the first place.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Speaking of games dot domain, this one lives in my mind.

There was a Greek website called games dot gr. It was hosting a bunch of flash games and the like

It also had a "forum" aspect, where you could make an account, and post with various subjects and so on... And take part in a game. It was almost an RPG, where you could grow your stats, get spells and skills, and I remember most of it was around Final Fantasy (complete with ripped sprites of the GFs from VIII if I'm not mistaken). Does that game ring a bell? It was turn based, you selected what you fought from a list, and probably doesn't hold up at all, but I still am curious.

Zathril
Nov 12, 2011

Serperoth posted:

Speaking of games dot domain, this one lives in my mind.

There was a Greek website called games dot gr. It was hosting a bunch of flash games and the like

It also had a "forum" aspect, where you could make an account, and post with various subjects and so on... And take part in a game. It was almost an RPG, where you could grow your stats, get spells and skills, and I remember most of it was around Final Fantasy (complete with ripped sprites of the GFs from VIII if I'm not mistaken). Does that game ring a bell? It was turn based, you selected what you fought from a list, and probably doesn't hold up at all, but I still am curious.

Looks like this might be RPG Inferno? If so theres a download of a free version on the wayback machine but god knows what you would have to do to get that working these days if you wanted to mess with it.

Zathril fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Mar 12, 2023

Maigius
Jun 29, 2013

That's both of them. Thanks.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Holy poo poo, talk about a blast from the past :aaaaa:

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Zathril posted:

Looks like this might be RPG Inferno? If so theres a download of a free version on the wayback machine but god knows what you would have to do to get that working these days if you wanted to mess with it.

That's it, I didn't think to check way back. Going to take a look at the download at home too, maybe it just runs (lol)

SpiritOfLenin
Apr 29, 2013

be happy :3

i'm looking for a game, quoting my own posts from the chat-thread here:

SpiritOfLenin posted:

there's an obscure indie scifi game i'm trying to find, does this description ring a bell to anyone:

the game is about exploring planets and looking for stuff like alien artifacts and such, and it had a bit retroish 3d-artstyle (i think). i think you maybe used like a drone to explore planets? it might have had roguelike elements, but i don't think it was a roguelite (as in no unlocking stuff for future runs but stuff you could find and planets were randomized). i remember weird stuff could happen on the ship, and while the game's atmosphere could be spooky, i don't think it was outright a horror game? it was more of a "being alone in your space ship and silently exploring alien ruins is inherently spooky"-vibe, i think

i'm not sure if the game had a thread here once or not, but i do remember hearing about it for the first time on these forums. i just feel like playing some somewhat spooky exploration focused scifi game and i'd like to find that one (or something that scratches the same itch)

SpiritOfLenin posted:

it was first person perspective, that i do remember. and noctis seems too old - can't remember exactly how long ago it was that i saw the game first mentioned here, but it was like within the last, uh... five years? i don't think it was quite that long ago, but i can't remember how long ago it was. i think the ship wasn't too big, it could feel vaguely claustrophobic at times

SpiritOfLenin posted:

nah, Duskers is a different game. the one i'm talking about was 3d, but now i am wondering if i mixed up the drone thing with Duskers or if both games had it

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

SpiritOfLenin posted:

i'm looking for a game, quoting my own posts from the chat-thread here:

I think I remember a game like this. Was there an obscure cockpit interface that had knobs and dials to turn? And you’d hunt down glowing red beams of light on the surface of planets which culminated in finding ruins that would then teleport you to another planet?

Pogonodon
Sep 10, 2010
The claustrophobic ship is making me think of Scavenger SV4.

SpiritOfLenin
Apr 29, 2013

Ben Nerevarine posted:

I think I remember a game like this. Was there an obscure cockpit interface that had knobs and dials to turn? And you’d hunt down glowing red beams of light on the surface of planets which culminated in finding ruins that would then teleport you to another planet?

it might be? i'm not entirely sure - i can't remember every detail, but that kind of stuff might fit the picture

edit: pogonodon found it, that's the one

SpiritOfLenin
Apr 29, 2013

Pogonodon posted:

The claustrophobic ship is making me think of Scavenger SV4.

its this one, thanks!

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Sort of vague, but a game I randomly half-remembered when reading about Rise of the Robots: A robot fighting game with 3D graphics on PC, which I would have played in the mid-90s. I really don't remember any further details about it, but if the game I think I'm remembering existed, it absolutely had polygon graphics, so it wasn't One Must Fall.

Mischievous Mink
May 29, 2012

KennyMan666 posted:

Sort of vague, but a game I randomly half-remembered when reading about Rise of the Robots: A robot fighting game with 3D graphics on PC, which I would have played in the mid-90s. I really don't remember any further details about it, but if the game I think I'm remembering existed, it absolutely had polygon graphics, so it wasn't One Must Fall.

Dang, that's tricky, the closest I can find is FX Fighter, which only has like a single robot, but it does have actual polygonal graphics. Doesn't happen to be the one does it?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

KennyMan666 posted:

Looks like Zero Divide had a Windows port, try that maybe.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

If it wasn't on PC I'd suggest Tech Romancer. If it wasn't all robots I'd suggest FX Fighter.

Edit: Zero Divide is a solid suggestion.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

It might actually have been FX Fighter, or more probably FX Fighter Turbo. The graphics look about right, and seeing the praying mantis character definitely jiggled some memory back there. So I'm quite sure I have played that before.

I'll leave it open for more suggestions but chances are it's FFT + the mists of time.

(also, anyone else play the IRC version of FXFIGHTER back in the day? :v:)

fezball
Nov 8, 2009

KennyMan666 posted:

Just to be sure that you're not mixing something up about One must Fall: 2097, it actually did have polygon graphics (may have been pre-rendered to some degree, but it certainly doesn't look like pixel art) so I don't see why that would exclude it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=snBVsMgV0NQ

fezball fucked around with this message at 11:12 on Mar 21, 2023

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

I played copious amounts of One Must Fall back in the day, there's absolutely zero chance I'm misremembering anything about that game.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

One Must Fall also had a alter sequel, I believe called Battlegrounds or Battlefields or the like, which I think was full 3D? I remember reading about it in a magazine, but it must've been sound 2002

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Yeah, Battlegrounds was way later (2003), and was more of an arena fighter or something with the camera behind your robot. I followed it before release, but never ended up actually playing it. Heard it was a bit of a dud, but still got the extremely rocking music I downloaded from the official website back then.

shen
Jan 22, 2006

shen posted:

1.) I am trying to find the name of a late-80s-early-90s Zelda-esque game for DOS that I remember playing about once or twice on my cousin's computer. It had a top-down view, and every time you moved to the edge of the screen you appeared on an entirely new screen to move around on (no scrolling, like the legend of zelda for nes).

I'm pretty sure you started off the game with no sword, and I remember wandering around in frustration until I found a hut with a witch inside, who promptly turned me into a frog, so I hopped around the map a bit, but got no farther than that.

The graphics looked pretty basic, but they weren't ASCII, and there were at least 8-16 colors. I also kind of remember something about going near a lake and there being a sea monster in it, and at the very beginning there was a cave you could go into with an old man who told you your quest or something.

That's all I can remember, I was only about 7-8 at the time, but finding out what game I was playing has been eating away at me for years!

edit:

2.) I just remembered another game, it was a sidescrolling beat'em up for the SNES for 1-2 players where you were both robots and could pick different parts to have in your robot. I remember not having the pneumatic legs or whatever that let me jump far, and this causing my death when there was a chasm we had to jump over. It is possible the game was for NES but I am pretty sure I played it on the Super.
update:

#1 turned out to be robomaze 3: the dome

#2 was cyborg justice, for sega genesis, not nintendo. i only played it once at a friend's house when i was a kid.

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!

KennyMan666 posted:

It might actually have been FX Fighter, or more probably FX Fighter Turbo. The graphics look about right, and seeing the praying mantis character definitely jiggled some memory back there. So I'm quite sure I have played that before.

Oh geez, even after nearly three decades this immediately jogged my memory of "I am the mighty Rygil, undefeated through countless galaxies, I have come seeking challenge" while he punches his hand as softly as a feather duster.

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

in school in the early-90s, 90% sure this was apple ii but maybe I'm off and it was dos, but the "game" was a truck driving sim, but you don't actually drive the truck, just select on a map like I'll pick up this load here and take it there via these roads and I'll speed or not doing it and then there'd be a little animation of how that went. Speeding could get you pulled over and ticketed but despite this being an education thing for schools was still sometimes worthwhile. I think you were specifically doing LTL and had to load/unload things in "order" within the trailer? IIRC most of the "educational value" is poo poo like can you figure out with a map that it's gonna take x hours to go from point a to point b and only accept jobs that are possible

edit: money was also a thing and you had to buy fuel and also plan so as to not run out of fuel

chairface fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Apr 16, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

that'll be cross-country canada. or perhaps the inferior knockoff, cross-country usa.