Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Skwirl posted:

Pretty sure after.

And it was pretty hosed up as I recall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

The Untold Legend of the Batman #2 (1980)

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...
My money's on Professor Milo.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i say gentleman ghost because i want gentleman ghost to show up. love that guy.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Doomsday's origin was revealed long after. He was just basically unstoppable monster made to kill superman

mercenarynuker
Sep 10, 2008

Does the one in the upper left say Jupid?

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist
I had the return of Superman trade as a kid which compiled the four different comics that centered on a different super guy, and really enjoyed it, so I eventually got the actual death of Superman from the library.

It was really bad; just having this unexplained monster beating the poo poo out of the Justice League and then the actual fight not being very interesting as I recall. Huge let down, though maybe because I knew he was coming back, it just had no drama at all, whereas the return is weird enough and decently plotted that I could read it again and again.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 26 hours!

Darthemed posted:

The Untold Legend of the Batman #2 (1980)

This is a good story

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Obviously it was Black Spider-Man

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

A Strange Aeon posted:

I had the return of Superman trade as a kid which compiled the four different comics that centered on a different super guy, and really enjoyed it, so I eventually got the actual death of Superman from the library.

It was really bad; just having this unexplained monster beating the poo poo out of the Justice League and then the actual fight not being very interesting as I recall. Huge let down, though maybe because I knew he was coming back, it just had no drama at all, whereas the return is weird enough and decently plotted that I could read it again and again.

No, it's pretty bad. Doomsday was made with no backstory or anything in mind. Just appear, be established to be unstoppable by anyone else, kill Superman in a double KO battle, and then be shot into space so no one else had to deal with him.

They do what they can with the drama and making it feel like Supes is really getting the poo poo kicked out of him, but he's just a monster with nothing beyond "can't be stopped". All of his other abilities were added in later, here it's just "they hit each other bunch until they both fall over".

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Pictured: The Wolf Of Gubbio (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

mercenarynuker posted:

Does the one in the upper left say Jupid?
I'd say we're due for Jupid's dark gritty reboot any day now.

Forum accident
Jun 15, 2006

All hail Thor...the THUNDER GOD!
I was gonna say Doomsday was just Superman's Bane but looks like he came out first.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist
I think it's just lame as hell to introduce a new villain whose only defining power is unstoppable. Superman and Batman both had volumes of enemies it would have been fitting to have do the deed instead of creating some new one out of whole cloth.

Imagine being weird hot red hair Lex Luthor and having some space monster from no where accomplish what you've spent your life trying to do.

BooDooBoo
Jul 14, 2005

That makes no sense to me at all.

https://fi.somethingawful.com/images/gangtags/severancemdr.gif

A Strange Aeon posted:

I think it's just lame as hell to introduce a new villain whose only defining power is unstoppable. Superman and Batman both had volumes of enemies it would have been fitting to have do the deed instead of creating some new one out of whole cloth.

Imagine being weird hot red hair Lex Luthor and having some space monster from no where accomplish what you've spent your life trying to do.

In an earlier crossover, "Panic In The Sky", just as he was about to lose, fired a cannister into the ground from his space-ship as his revenge plot.

At the time it was assumed that Brainiac made Doomsday, instead of "Alien lands on pre-history hellworld Krypton long before the Humanoid Kryptonians evolved, releases a baby into the environment, then collects it's remains, clones it and repeats the process hundreds of thousands of times which made Doomsday."

That's right! Doomsday's origin is "People don't understand Evolution".

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

BooDooBoo posted:

In an earlier crossover, "Panic In The Sky", just as he was about to lose, fired a cannister into the ground from his space-ship as his revenge plot.

At the time it was assumed that Brainiac made Doomsday, instead of "Alien lands on pre-history hellworld Krypton long before the Humanoid Kryptonians evolved, releases a baby into the environment, then collects it's remains, clones it and repeats the process hundreds of thousands of times which made Doomsday."

That's right! Doomsday's origin is "People don't understand Evolution".

I mean thats kinda the origin of every comic book character.
Spiderman and the Hulk are People don't understand Radiation
The Joker is People don't understand Psychosis
Bane is People don't understand drugs
Batman and Iron Man are both People don't understand that rich people don't give a poo poo about you

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

You can understand every scientific concept but if you write comics you've pretty much gotta throw them out the window.

I do like Doomsday's origin but that's why I was asking earlier if it had come before the death of Superman or not because it would have really helped sell him as an unstoppable monster, able to fight Superman to the death.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Punisher War Journal #15 (2008)

MuscaDomestica
Apr 27, 2017

Bucnasti posted:

I mean thats kinda the origin of every comic book character.
Spiderman and the Hulk are People don't understand Radiation
The Joker is People don't understand Psychosis
Bane is People don't understand drugs
Batman and Iron Man are both People don't understand that rich people don't give a poo poo about you

One of the reasons I like Cassandra Cain. You don't get too many origin stories about mad social sciences.

Silver John
Sep 30, 2014
Does anybody have the panels that gave us the current thread title on hand? I can’t find them anywhere

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Silver John posted:

Does anybody have the panels that gave us the current thread title on hand? I can’t find them anywhere

Darthemed posted:

Venom: Carnage Unleashed #3 (1995)

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday

davidspackage posted:

Darthemed posted:

Venom: Carnage Unleashed #3 (1995)

I feel the need to point out that Talking Head Number Early Male-Pattern Baldness is using the phrase "Rhodes, you are like mega-barfulous!" as a compliment.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Wizard of the Deep posted:

I feel the need to point out that Talking Head Number Early Male-Pattern Baldness is using the phrase "Rhodes, you are like mega-barfulous!" as a compliment.
:confused: calling somebody bogus like he does in the first balloon is derogatory??

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Wizard of the Deep posted:

I used to say that to all my buds in the mid 90's. All of 'em!

Now that I think about it, I never met anyone from my school days since then, as if they were avoiding me(?), but I'm sure I'm just overthinking it.

Batman Annual #1 (2007?) "Good Boy"

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

More Maxx please

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Saoshyant posted:

I used to say that to all my buds in the mid 90's. All of 'em!

Now that I think about it, I never met anyone from my school days since then, as if they were avoiding me(?), but I'm sure I'm just overthinking it.

Batman Annual #1 (2007?) "Good Boy"

I mean, he COULD be breakfast. But I think he would have some Opinions on that.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Secret Origins of the World's Greatest Super-Heroes (1990)

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Darthemed posted:

Secret Origins of the World's Greatest Super-Heroes (1990)

The best scene in the GL movie was when his girlfriend recognized him in costume and went "Did you think you could fool me by hiding your cheekbones?"

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Kurui Reiten posted:

No, it's pretty bad. Doomsday was made with no backstory or anything in mind. Just appear, be established to be unstoppable by anyone else, kill Superman in a double KO battle, and then be shot into space so no one else had to deal with him.

Well, the plot was made by a committee in order to stall time so the marriage with Superman and Lois Lane could coincide with marriage episode of the tv show. So it's a wonder that it's comprehensible.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
New Mutants #30:

Turns out being literally 10 steps ahead of everyone doesn't mean you can't get made a fool of

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Frank Oz's parentage was mostly Dutch, not German.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Zereth posted:

:confused: calling somebody bogus like he does in the first balloon is derogatory??

E: between "bogosity" and "marketroid" I think the writer had already decided hackers spoke like Bill S. Preston Esq., but then decided to throw in some buzzwords from a late 90s copy of The Internet Jargon File for verisimilitude

Phy fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Mar 20, 2023

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Spider-Man & Wolverine #3 (2003)

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes
Why is spidey missing one sock?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Bucnasti posted:

Why is spidey missing one sock?

It's a bootie

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
I like a good "smash cut to title" gag so here's a couple of recent ones

Dark Web #2:

Spider-Man: Unforgiven #1 :

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Also they're super cute, and furthermore, shut up.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Darthemed posted:

Spider-Man & Wolverine #3 (2003)

Is that Megaman or Spider-Man in the last panel?

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Ultimate Marvel Team-Up #1 (2001)

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Darthemed posted:

That's a pretty effective way of hiding a swear

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Darthemed posted:

Please tell me this was a mugging and Spidey just SPACK'ed the muggee.