Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
COSTCO!!!
PBUC
Executive Member
I make terrible financial decisions here.
BRING BACK THE COMBO SLICE
505 Club
Death To Sams Club
Goku waiting in extremely long gas line.
View Results

Involuntary Sparkle
Aug 12, 2004

Chemo-kitties can have “accidents” too!

SwissArmyDruid posted:

As I understood it, that was only for the Sprite?

No. I used to work in R&D at Coke, and no, the fact of the proper ratio at McDonald's is true for all of the beverages.

Many/most other vendors tweak the ratio on the machine for better costs. It violates the contract between Coke and their customer but since so many do it, Coke rarely enforces it unless it's egregious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

skipdogg posted:

It's a lot more expensive than that, but the margin is still great for a restaurant item.

A 5 gallon BIB of soda syrup was around 100 dollars last I checked. I might be up to 120 now. Lets just go with 100 to keep things easy. 100 dollars for 640 ounces of soda syrup. Generally soda syrup is mixed at a 5 to 1 ratio of carbonated water to syrup. McDonalds actually sets their ratio to 4.5 to 1 which is why so many people like soda from there. The syrup ratio is higher (It has nothing to do with metal tanks, or any other crap you've seen on social media)

So 640 ounces of syrup at a 5:1 ratio makes 3840 ounces of soda. $100/3840 ounces is about 2.6 cents an ounce if we ignore the cost of carbonating the water, filtering the water, chilling the water, the equipment to dispense it, etc. A 32 oz soda has for the sake of argument about 20 ounces of actual liquid after accounting for ice. So about 52 cents worth of soda. Throw in another 2 cents for the cup and a penny for the straw, and a 32 oz drink raw costs is 55 cents.

Back in the day like 25 years ago when I was in the restaurant industry, a BIB of Coca Cola syrup was probably 35 dollars, which would drop it down to less than a penny an ounce, but like everything else soda has gotten expensive as well.

Love this post and thank you for it! I learned something today :)

And that's probably where I got the penny per from tbh - it's been many years since I've seen any updated stats

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Involuntary Sparkle posted:

No. I used to work in R&D at Coke, and no, the fact of the proper ratio at McDonald's is true for all of the beverages.

Many/most other vendors tweak the ratio on the machine for better costs. It violates the contract between Coke and their customer but since so many do it, Coke rarely enforces it unless it's egregious.

Can you give more details? My information is like 25+ years old now. I worked at McDonalds when I was like 16 in 1997, and then other restaurants until about 2002

I do remember we would check the soda machines, or check the "brix" at McDonalds like every day to make sure things were right. Other restaurants we almost never checked them unless the local vendor was doing it for us, but it was a big deal at McDonalds. I was told that the increased syrup to water ratio was a McDonalds thing where they made the sodas stronger to account for ice melting and things like that. The one I worked at also ran the soda lines through a plate at the bottom of the ice well to pre-chill the incoming syrup and water so it was dispensed cold. Some places don't do that. The increased syrup and pre-chilled ingredients give the McD's soda that "spicy" kick that everyone loves since cold water holds the carbonation better.

I remember using these brix cups way back when to check the soda systems. https://www.chicompany.net/syrup-separators-brix-cups-c-361_83/ The McDonald's labeled one has the 4.5:1 on one side and 5.5:1 on the other. I forget what was special about the 5.5:1, but something came in a stronger concentration. I only remember the regular Coca Cola ratio. The regular brix cups are setup for 5:1 and 5.5:1 ratios

So are you saying everywhere should be mixing at 4.5:1? Cause thats :aaaaa: if so.

Involuntary Sparkle
Aug 12, 2004

Chemo-kitties can have “accidents” too!

skipdogg posted:

Can you give more details? My information is like 25+ years old now. I worked at McDonalds when I was like 16 in 1997, and then other restaurants until about 2002

Ooh gosh no, I thought you meant that "only for Sprite" was that the ratio was tightly regulated at McDonald's only for Sprite. You've got all the correct information!

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
Costco.com has $100 in Domino's Gift Cards for $75 for a few more hours, fat sack of poo poo that I am I picked those up since they can further stack with the piles of coupons that Dominos gives.

They're not horrible pizzas if you check the box to leave off that hideous garlic oil they put on the crust. And at least they'll make you a combo slice!

acidx
Sep 24, 2019

right clicking is stealing

SwissArmyDruid posted:

As I understood it, that was only for the Sprite?

They don't have Sprite syrup. If you order Sprite they just give you straight carbonated water and hope you're too lazy to come inside and get something else.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

acidx posted:

They don't have Sprite syrup. If you order Sprite they just give you straight carbonated water and hope you're too lazy to come inside and get something else.

No, that's burger king. loving 10:1 with that poo poo all over the east bay.

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

numberoneposter posted:

made kimchi grilled cheese sandos last night. some nice sourdough, that whiskey flavored chedder, and kimchi (not the one with 2 ggs)

:chloe:

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

If I Saw It, Here's How It Happened.
Guess I’m returning this bag of strawberries. I didn’t even know fruit could catch hepatitis.

https://abcnews.go.com/US/frozen-organic-strawberries-recalled-link-hepatitis-outbreak/story?id=97962769

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

EVG posted:

Guess I’m returning this bag of strawberries. I didn’t even know fruit could catch hepatitis.

https://abcnews.go.com/US/frozen-organic-strawberries-recalled-link-hepatitis-outbreak/story?id=97962769

fruit pickers poo poo in the fields

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
Why people flipping out about the peanut butter chocolate pie?

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Bum the Sad posted:

fruit pickers poo poo in the fields

I had to google around because it seems every news outlet is too polite to mention how the gently caress strawberries get the hep, but I saw suggestions that they could also be getting washed/rinsed with water that is contaminated with sewage.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

EVG posted:

I imagine it would be quite shocking to see some of the farms and factories that pay slave wages to people packing our mass produced food. The pork industry often gets nailed with sanitzation stories, but the fruits and veggie factories seem to get ignored...

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Luckily my store doesn't stock the hepatitis strawberries. I buy a lot of frozen fruit.

pencilhands
Aug 20, 2022

I just got some bath towels at costco and they loving own

Only 6.99 each too

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

If I Saw It, Here's How It Happened.

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

I imagine it would be quite shocking to see some of the farms and factories that pay slave wages to people packing our mass produced food. The pork industry often gets nailed with sanitzation stories, but the fruits and veggie factories seem to get ignored...

yeah yeah I know all that.... it was a bad attempt at a joke :D

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

SwissArmyDruid posted:

yeah, the bun is more likely to get crappier over time.

Actually, I'm not sure that it, and all their other bread-based products aren't just absolutely riddled with sugar now. I carb crash and need a quick 30 minute nap in my car after eating at costco.

What is going on with your diet that you get incapacitated for 30 minutes from eating a hot dog bun

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

numberoneposter posted:

made kimchi grilled cheese sandos last night. some nice sourdough, that whiskey flavored chedder, and kimchi (not the one with 2 ggs)

Permaban incoming

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Seth Pecksniff posted:

Permaban incoming

Reporting posts works! :worship:

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

I bought the giant Chicken Pot Pie.

It is almost entirely flavorless, but it’s a lot of food for not a lot of money.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

SirPablo posted:

Why people flipping out about the peanut butter chocolate pie?

A post about it went viral, it's brand new, and like everything viral people are going nuts.

Ayndin
Mar 13, 2010

I was worried about the organic frozen strawberry recall but looking at the FDA page it looks like nothing involved is from my state. Seems like mostly CA/HI.

Lately I have been having some bouts of gale force farts, and while with the current state of my GI system it could be literally anything, I suspect it might be the Simply Protein soy protein keto bars that are on sale? Doing some process of elimination to try and figure out the culprit. It’ll be unfortunate if they are, they’ve got good protein/calories and taste okay making them a good ‘I am too lazy for a proper meal’ option.

Quixzlizx
Jan 7, 2007

Ayndin posted:

I was worried about the organic frozen strawberry recall but looking at the FDA page it looks like nothing involved is from my state. Seems like mostly CA/HI.

Lately I have been having some bouts of gale force farts, and while with the current state of my GI system it could be literally anything, I suspect it might be the Simply Protein soy protein keto bars that are on sale? Doing some process of elimination to try and figure out the culprit. It’ll be unfortunate if they are, they’ve got good protein/calories and taste okay making them a good ‘I am too lazy for a proper meal’ option.

Do they have fake sugar in them to keep the sugar/carbs down? That would do it for a lot of people.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
They have 25% of your fiber RDA in one bar. Stepping up your fiber will do that until you get used to it. More fiber is almost always good, but it takes a little while to adjust

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Ayndin posted:

paging pencilhands.

pencilhands to the costco thread.

Ayndin
Mar 13, 2010

Quixzlizx posted:

Do they have fake sugar in them to keep the sugar/carbs down? That would do it for a lot of people.

The nutrition breakdown says there’s some sugar alcohols but the ingredients don’t say which. Could be it. I was glad there was no erythritol with the recent news, but the choice may be heart or fart.

Could also be the fiber, but due to said GI issues I try to eat tons of fiber in my weird diet so 25% RDA would be less of a huge jump than for most.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Sugar alcohols are well known for giving some people digestive distress

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

False. There is only one electron and it has never stopped
I should know this but are whey protein products still wildly off the mark when it comes to stated content?

Also, free samples seem suspicious. There has to be a catch.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

I just ate costco lobster bisque that expired three weeks ago how long until the diarrhea starts

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

The lobster bisque isn’t great even when non expired. There’s no such thing as cheap lobster stuff that tastes good.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

I'm not asking about the taste I don't care about the taste I'm asking about the diarrhea

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

False. There is only one electron and it has never stopped
Diarrhea costs extra. That's how they get you.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

No diarrhea, just baby lobsters crawling out

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

If toxins are present as a byproduct of bacterial growth, 4-6 hours.

If live bacteria were still present in the bisque, 24-48 hours.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Thank you

pencilhands
Aug 20, 2022

Ayndin posted:

friend, have you eaten any chicken bakes lately

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Eatin some Kirkland eggs and Kirkland goat cheese rn, life is good

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

dwarves won't delve no more
too much splatting down on Zot:4
finally broke into the Kirkland-branded oat milk I got. idk if it's just because it's different from what I normally get but this tastes... weird

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Nobody puts Phil in a corner.

thats the taste of great savings everyday

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

death cob for cutie posted:

finally broke into the Kirkland-branded oat milk I got. idk if it's just because it's different from what I normally get but this tastes... weird

I didn't like it at all, was way too sweet to me. But my normal brand is Planet Oat Unsweetened Vanilla at like 45cal/8oz so my baseline might be off.