Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
Make some kalimotxo! Red wine and coke! Fancy it up with mezcal and bitters, which is not traditional but very tasty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

My shelf is in the "haven't restocked anything in quite a while" phase, which is making me get pretty creative. It's kinda fun to make a classic sazerac because you have some cognac left but no whiskey.

Downside is that if I keep this up I'll reach the homer Simpson stage of mixing a pie crust, chives, and tom Collins mix.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

Sir Lemming posted:

As often happens when we have family over, I'm stuck with a way-too-large bottle of way-too-sweet red wine. Anyone have any ideas for cocktails that might help to use this stuff up? I'm thinking something similar to an Americano might work -- adding carbonation and bitterness seems like a win. Any other suggestions welcome.

Use it to macerate some strawberries.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I enjoyed my St Remy XO - should I get their VSOP or get a bottle of Courvoisier Vs half the size? Keep in mind this will have orange juice, bitters, and 7Up added to it

Scythe
Jan 26, 2004
In that case, price/performance is the key. Get the VSOP.

Potentially also get a VSOP actual cognac, even if it's a tiny bottle, to see what you're missing and confirm you don't care.

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

Can you get Korbel if you want the WI authentic stuff?

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

tHROW SOME D"s ON THAT BIZNATCH

JohnCompany posted:

Can you get Korbel if you want the WI authentic stuff?

Salignac is a solid performer in this bracket, as well.

Justa Dandelion
Nov 27, 2020

[sobbing] Look at the circles under my eyes. I haven't slept in weeks!

Cognac, lemon, fresh oj, and absinthe or another anisette is delightful.

Justa Dandelion
Nov 27, 2020

Like even a cheap rear end ouzo will do the trick. Start with a daiquiri spec and for the acid component balance the oj and lemon to where you get the orange flavor but it punches like lemon.

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006
OJ ruins every cocktail it touches

Edit to not be such a contrarian rear end: try triple sec or grand marnier in place. Basically a Corpse Reviver

TengenNewsEditor
Apr 3, 2004

The Maestro posted:

Edit to not be such a contrarian rear end: try triple sec or grand marnier in place. Basically a Corpse Reviver

Soft agree, but fresh squeezed OJ is a good compliment to another kind of juice as in a bebbo or painkiller.

& bad triple sec (Hiram's etc) ruins more drinks than OJ.

A God Damn Ghost
Nov 25, 2007

booyah!

The Maestro posted:

agreed except for a Garibaldi, where the orange juice is fresh squeezed and the star of the show. Brunch drinks are sorta different imo.

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide
QB Cooler soars with OJ too.

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

OJ is fine as a lengthener in tiki applications but it just doesn’t have the acid to be a primary ingredient.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

The Maestro posted:

Yeah I loving love OJ but I've found it's generally not a good sign in a cocktail. I've had a few wonderful cocktails that had OJ in them but they're the minority for sure.

TengenNewsEditor
Apr 3, 2004

The only great one I can think of that has OJ as a major ingredient is the Calvados Cocktail - a weird one due to the a half jigger of Orange Bitters

1 1/2 oz Calvados (or Applejack)
1 1/2 oz Fresh Squeezed OJ
3/4 oz Cointreau (or Orange Curaçao)
3/4 oz Orange Bitters

Carillon
May 9, 2014

My partner generally rolls her eyes when I break out powders or things of that nature, but even she agreed it but her in the rear end when she tried to sub on fresh oj instead of lemon in a cocktail. She kept asking me what was wrong or what it needed. Acid adjusting feels extra until you see why it's needed.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
When I first got into cocktails, I really liked a Ward 8 and made them for friends. I feel like I owe them apologies now

Thoht
Aug 3, 2006

For OJ cocktails, I like an Adriatique.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Ok is good in a painkiller. Also blood and sand.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler
Checking my logs I see lots of great tiki recipes with OJ but the only non-tiki cocktail I've tried and liked a lot that uses it is the Satan's Whiskers Cocktail. And the Perfect Pear but that only uses a dash of it.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

I'm the weirdo that loves harvey wallbangers.

The caveat is that it *has* to be freshly squeezed OJ. There is no such thing as a good store-bought OJ.

Justa Dandelion
Nov 27, 2020

The Maestro posted:

Negative, if it turns the drink flabby then acid balance it. As a person who opens and operates cocktail bars for a living that drank is one of the best I've ever put together. (Fresh) Oj has a purpose just like any other ingredient.

Alucard
Mar 11, 2002
Pillbug

Strange Matter posted:

QB Cooler soars with OJ too.

OJ was an RB

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
I am a simple man I put Luksusowa and Fever Tree in a glass and enjoy

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide

Alucard posted:

OJ was an RB
Maybe I should have said OJ makes a killer QB Cooler.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Okay needed to restock my cabinet and my office recently gave me a huge gift card for total wine, so went shopping today. Trip report:

Redbreast Lustau edition: most viscous mouthfeel in an Irish whisky. Not much nose, but delightful finish. I can't imagine it'll work in any cocktail, amazing sipper.

Old Forester 1920: at 115 proof this is the best bourbon mixer I've tried in a while. Peanutty rocket fuel that still has enough nuance to make a perfect old fashioned or similar bourbon cocktail. Might try a final ward with it.

Novo Fogo: never tried cachaca before, always on my list. Crazy how different the nose and flavor diverge. Can't wait to make a caipirinha. Delightful.

Flor de cana 18 yr: I shouldn't have had it after the 1920. I couldnt taste any alcohol. It was like caramel water with some nice round edges. Another probably sipper with limited cocktail appeal, I think it'd be too delicate. Oh well. Maybe makes a nice rum old fashioned?

Fernet-Branca: another "always meant to try but never had" contestant, I was amazed by how much I liked it straight. Wife loved it too. We'd seen so many people hate on it on the YouTube cocktail shows that we expected it to be...more objectionable? Maybe more bitter than campari or something? It's pretty delightful!

Also reupped Appleton 12 yr, tempus fugit banane, rittenhouse, plantation 5 yr, old grandad, cocchi di Torino, grassotti dry vermouth, powers, beefeater, and maraschino. So...hopefully good for another 6 months right?

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
I submit Monkey Gland as a worthy orange juice-containing cocktail. The ½oz of absinthe certainly helps.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Pander posted:

Okay needed to restock my cabinet and my office recently gave me a huge gift card for total wine, so went shopping today. Trip report:

Redbreast Lustau edition: most viscous mouthfeel in an Irish whisky. Not much nose, but delightful finish. I can't imagine it'll work in any cocktail, amazing sipper.

Old Forester 1920: at 115 proof this is the best bourbon mixer I've tried in a while. Peanutty rocket fuel that still has enough nuance to make a perfect old fashioned or similar bourbon cocktail. Might try a final ward with it.

Novo Fogo: never tried cachaca before, always on my list. Crazy how different the nose and flavor diverge. Can't wait to make a caipirinha. Delightful.

Flor de cana 18 yr: I shouldn't have had it after the 1920. I couldnt taste any alcohol. It was like caramel water with some nice round edges. Another probably sipper with limited cocktail appeal, I think it'd be too delicate. Oh well. Maybe makes a nice rum old fashioned?

Fernet-Branca: another "always meant to try but never had" contestant, I was amazed by how much I liked it straight. Wife loved it too. We'd seen so many people hate on it on the YouTube cocktail shows that we expected it to be...more objectionable? Maybe more bitter than campari or something? It's pretty delightful!

Also reupped Appleton 12 yr, tempus fugit banane, rittenhouse, plantation 5 yr, old grandad, cocchi di Torino, grassotti dry vermouth, powers, beefeater, and maraschino. So...hopefully good for another 6 months right?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qoPXzsOcaxs

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Pander posted:

Fernet rules, welcome brother

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I too enjoy the toothpaste amaro

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide
So I made a Sherry Cobbler this weekend and found it profoundly meh, which was a surprise since I've mostly seen articles raving about it being a forgotten classic. To me it tasted like a glass of oxidized sweet vermouth-- drinkable, but not exactly super pleasant.

I don't know anything about Sherry though, so it could be that I shot myself in the foot buying literally the cheapest thing I found (Taylor's, regular not dry either). Does a better Sherry make a huge difference with the drink, or is it just not to my taste?

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

Strange Matter posted:

So I made a Sherry Cobbler this weekend and found it profoundly meh, which was a surprise since I've mostly seen articles raving about it being a forgotten classic. To me it tasted like a glass of oxidized sweet vermouth-- drinkable, but not exactly super pleasant.

I don't know anything about Sherry though, so it could be that I shot myself in the foot buying literally the cheapest thing I found (Taylor's, regular not dry either). Does a better Sherry make a huge difference with the drink, or is it just not to my taste?

I don’t know a lot about Sherry but everything I’ve had from Taylors is pretty bad. Just bottom shelf grocery store stuff that seems more for cooking than drinking. If you can find a bottle of lustau los arcos it’s usually under $20 and is pretty accessible. That’s the one that got me enjoying Sherry and should be able to tell you whether you may be a Sherry drinker or not. It definitely has an oxidized character to it and comes through pretty nutty, but I wouldn’t base your entire judgment of the category off your current bottle.

For the cobbler I like about a half oz of Simple to 2 oz of the Amontillado and then three nice orange slices with bright oily skins all shaken up then strained over crushed ice.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Using Taylor's is like using Martini & Rossi vermouth - I would definitely recommend getting a half-decent bottle and trying again.

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide
That's kind of what I figured. Honestly I was just thrilled to find Sherry since none of the stores close to me carry it, and Taylors was all they had. I may have to look out for an opportunity to extend my range and hit up a Total Wine at somepoint.

Should I go for Dry Sherry, or regular?

Scythe
Jan 26, 2004
You want a dry sherry in almost all circumstances, cobblers or otherwise (unless you’re a time traveler or interested specifically in the Pedro Ximenez style).

Fino, manzanilla, amontillado, palo cortado, and oloroso are all dry styles and will all work (though some of em will be too expensive to use this way). I like an amontillado in sherry cobblers and the earlier Lustau Los Arcos rec is a good one.

IMO in general with sherry, avoid blends (just labeled “dry” “cream” or “sweet” instead of with a style like above) if possible.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
If you're not squeamish about loving around with the specs of classic cocktails, a bit of overproof rum can really tie a sherry cobbler together. I also like to use jam instead of or in addition to fresh fruit.

The Bandit
Aug 18, 2006

Westbound And Down

prayer group posted:

If you're not squeamish about loving around with the specs of classic cocktails, a bit of overproof rum can really tie a sherry cobbler together. I also like to use jam instead of or in addition to fresh fruit.

Just be careful or you’ll loop us back to the last thread title

chitoryu12 posted:

I’ve seen a lot of preserve use. Most professional bartenders that use them will strain out the solids and bottle the remaining liquid for use, as the solids can seriously interfere with a pleasant drink (which I did experience with a careless use of jam).

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
RIP to the big homie chitoryu12. May we always heed his eternal warning, and stay the hand that brings the barspoon to the jam jar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Snow Cone Capone posted:

Using Taylor's is like using Martini & Rossi vermouth - I would definitely recommend getting a half-decent bottle and trying again.

That's unfair to martini and rossi vermouth