Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

Gonna reiterate that McConnell is almost definitely hosed up rull bad right now. 81, hefty anticoagulants, busted some ribs and concussed himself. None of this is a good combo and usually it's when you start talking with a loved one about assisted living

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

JonathonSpectre posted:

Join me in the Cult of Ra. Sun god, best god. He's just up there doing his loving thing every single day, literally creating all the life on this rock, and he doesn't give a poo poo about anything any of us monkeys do because he's a god. Want to eat pig? Knock yourself out. Want to gently caress a butt? Go ahead, I'm busy constantly exploding so you shitheads can see stuff and don't freeze to death and have things to eat. gently caress's sake, do you want a god or a high school hall monitor?

Julian the Apostate expressed similar feelings back in the 360s. "Are you so insensate that you cannot see the light descending from Helios? You can't see that the seasons and all kinds of life come from him?"

It's always made sense to me. Praise the Sun.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

aBagorn posted:

the cool part about reconstructionist judaism (my judaism) is that at the local synagogue level, we basically acknowledge that a lot of the laws around kashrut are very silly and arbitrary but they have special importance to us as a community. following these dumb pedantic laws is something that brings us together and gives us a little knowing wink at each other like "yeah, we do some dumb poo poo but we do it together" and i really like that.

It seems to me that even from a strict scriptural perspective that holds up. There's a definite distinction between laws that are presented as universal moral codes, and laws that were presented to define a culture and keep it distinct from its neighbors. It mostly just gets weird if you filter it through a Protestant fundamentalist lens and read it as "God will send you to hell if you push an elevator button on Saturday or murder someone, same thing."

Byzantine posted:

Julian the Apostate expressed similar feelings back in the 360s. "Are you so insensate that you cannot see the light descending from Helios? You can't see that the seasons and all kinds of life come from him?"

It's always made sense to me. Praise the Sun.

It's entirely possible the Sun God is a judgemental rear end in a top hat but you can sin at night when he can't see you.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

I'll never understand how any of the hedonistic gods didn't win out.

"Hmmmm, I can choose the God that says everything fun is a sin, or the God that says that we should eat, drink and gently caress as much as we want. I just can't decide."

Notty
Jun 4, 2010

Randalor posted:

"Hmmmm, I can choose the God that says everything fun is a sin, or the God that says that we should eat, drink and gently caress as much as we want. I just can't decide."

The high of feeling morally superior to others is greater than any other vice.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

FlamingLiberal posted:

I really wouldn’t get your hopes up but Trump may get indicted for something soon

https://twitter.com/kylegriffin1/status/1636784579120857108?s=46&t=BHs6Pl38GJXGN2Y4xeriNA

Yeah they're all preparing to riot

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

brugroffil posted:

Yeah they're all preparing to riot

That's the thing, it gives ZERO indication as to whether or not he's going to be indicted because there's going to be a riot no matter what decision is announced. If they say "no charges", normal people will set Manhattan on fire. If they say "lock him up", then the J6ers are going to storm and shoot up every vaguely cop-shaped building in the five boroughs. I'm leaning towards "No charges, Donald Trump remains untouchable" though, but we'll see.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
"After a thorough investigation we have determined that Donald Trump is still President."

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I don’t know that I would riot or even be surprised if donald trump were not charged with a crime. It’s not usual for the rich to be held accountable for anything and it’s not usual for former presidents to be charged with anything.

I guess it would depend on the crime, but if it’s some tax thing with a fine or like eight months in prison, I don’t know if many people would care. Even his diehard killer mutants basically just like him because he projects power and gives them permission to yell the n-word. They don’t really need him to be present, per se.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Randalor posted:

Guess which God has the type of followers who murder those who follow more chill gods.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Everything vegan is inherently kosher.
That's really not true at all. As a simple example, the fruit of a tree is considered impure for the first three years after its planting. And I'm not even going to attempt to summarize the rules involving shemittah.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

I AM GRANDO posted:

I don’t know that I would riot or even be surprised if donald trump were not charged with a crime. It’s not usual for the rich to be held accountable for anything and it’s not usual for former presidents to be charged with anything.

I guess it would depend on the crime, but if it’s some tax thing with a fine or like eight months in prison, I don’t know if many people would care. Even his diehard killer mutants basically just like him because he projects power and gives them permission to yell the n-word. They don’t really need him to be present, per se.

Yeah nobody is gonna right over no charges

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

DarkCrawler posted:

Guess which God has the type of followers who murder those who follow more chill gods.

Ares? Menhit? Neith? Svetovid? Tyr? Freya? Huitzilopochtli? Am I even on the right continent? There's a lot of gods of war.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

When the Romans would march troops into a new territory, there was always a priest with them whose job was to apologize to the local gods for killing their followers and assure them that the Romans were acting at the behest of their patron Mars.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette
Why not Newsom or Pritzker?

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

I'm not sure but I don't think Newsom or Pritzker are gods of war.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
I'd be annoyed at having to vote for a billionaire but drat if Pritzker isn't otherwise better than our recent credible candidates other than probably Bernie and MAYBE Gillibrand.

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan

Staluigi posted:

Gonna reiterate that McConnell is almost definitely hosed up rull bad right now. 81, hefty anticoagulants, busted some ribs and concussed himself. None of this is a good combo and usually it's when you start talking with a loved one about assisted living
i mean he's already in the senate...

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Randalor posted:

If you're looking for a real answer, it's because religion is generally instilled by those of higher stature than you. Whether that's your king or your parent, you're going to do whatever they say. And they have a lot of incentive to instill obedience.

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

InsertPotPun posted:

i mean he's already in the senate...

Lmao

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

theCops
Aug 13, 2004

Velocity Raptor posted:

With these agencies making this stuff public, is there anything they can do if Trump decides to leave the country? Do they just pray that he went somewhere with extradition, or can they actually go after him?

Doesn't he have a 24/7 Secret Service detail? Doubt they'd let it happen if so.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
It's certainly not IMPOSSIBLE for a high visibility rich person to flee the country despite the feds knowing they're a flight risk (Ghislaine Maxwell in the first round lol) but it does seem like Trump would have some trouble, between his life already crawling with feds and his presumed unwillingness to hide in a cargo container eating cold Big Macs for three days.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

otoh he could very easily get a "don't leave the loving country and you'll get to keep living in unbothered luxury while the case is in motion" ruling

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
The best possible outcome is he tries to flee the country and gets caught because he can’t resist Truthing about it

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

aBagorn posted:

the cool part about reconstructionist judaism (my judaism) is that at the local synagogue level, we basically acknowledge that a lot of the laws around kashrut are very silly and arbitrary but they have special importance to us as a community. following these dumb pedantic laws is something that brings us together and gives us a little knowing wink at each other like "yeah, we do some dumb poo poo but we do it together" and i really like that.

I remember a while ago I saw a design doc for a shabbos-compliant light switch that claimed to employ something called "the halachic uncertainty principle" to make it okay to turn on and off. As far as could tell, it made the light turn on or off a random amount of time after you flipped it. On one hand I'm reasonably sure that's not how the whole sabbath thing works, but on the other I walked around for the next week hearing "A DEVICE TO FOOL GOD!" in a sort of Metal Gear Solid voice in my head so who can say who the dumb one here is.

MixMasterMalaria
Jul 26, 2007

KillHour posted:

If you're looking for a real answer, it's because religion is generally instilled by those of higher stature than you. Whether that's your king or your parent, you're going to do whatever they say. And they have a lot of incentive to instill obedience.

It's also likely because hedonism in a slave society like Rome was disgusting to the enslaved who spend their labor serving the hedonists. Religions that give the downtrodden conceptual tools to feel dignified and meaningful have an advantage over the gods who your boss is saying blessed him and cursed you.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

MixMasterMalaria posted:

It's also likely because hedonism in a slave society like Rome was disgusting to the enslaved who spend their labor serving the hedonists. Religions that give the downtrodden conceptual tools to feel dignified and meaningful have an advantage over the gods who your boss is saying blessed him and cursed you.
I wouldn't call Rome a hedonist society. Just like all pre-industrial societies, the vast, vast majority of production was oriented towards basic sustenence, not any kind of hedonism. The supply of new slaves also significantly of when the conquests slowed (AD 100, or really, in the very late Republic) due to the lack of new war captives*. Into the imperial period, classical Roman religion (Jupiter, Mars, etc) was basically just a demonstration of civic faithfulness, like how children stand for the Pledge of Allegiance. Christianity only really took off in the 3rd century. During the crisis of the 3rd century, there wasn't much hedonism to be had because everything was pretty hosed. It wasn't a hedonist class/slave conflict. There were many religions that had a genuine shot at taking the crown, and were popular around the same time, but Christianity got it, with Constantine sealing the deal.

* A big material reason why the Republic fell was due to a massive influx of slaves driving down wages of free people, with the old guard supporting the status quo, leaving the opportunity for populists like Julius Caesar to gain power.

cat botherer fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Mar 18, 2023

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

paranoid randroid posted:

I remember a while ago I saw a design doc for a shabbos-compliant light switch that claimed to employ something called "the halachic uncertainty principle" to make it okay to turn on and off. As far as could tell, it made the light turn on or off a random amount of time after you flipped it. On one hand I'm reasonably sure that's not how the whole sabbath thing works, but on the other I walked around for the next week hearing "A DEVICE TO FOOL GOD!" in a sort of Metal Gear Solid voice in my head so who can say who the dumb one here is.

Jehovah loves a good technicality. He is not great to his chosen people overall, but he’s very good-natured about being outsmarted within the context of the rules he provides.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I AM GRANDO posted:

Jehovah loves a good technicality. He is not great to his chosen people overall, but he’s very good-natured about being outsmarted within the context of the rules he provides.

Lame God: "You must solve three riddles"
Cool God: "You must find 613 loopholes"

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Neo_Crimson posted:

Nevermind that, is that blood on the floor? :stare:

Thread title please

Randalor posted:

one is more useful than the other for controlling the populace

On the other hand, wait a second. I'm starting to see your point here.

forbidden dialectics
Jul 26, 2005

cat botherer posted:

I wouldn't call Rome a hedonist society. Just like all pre-industrial societies, the vast, vast majority of production was oriented towards basic sustenence, not any kind of hedonism. The supply of new slaves also significantly of when the conquests slowed (AD 100, or really, in the very late Republic) due to the lack of new war captives*. Into the imperial period, classical Roman religion (Jupiter, Mars, etc) was basically just a demonstration of civic faithfulness, like how children stand for the Pledge of Allegiance. Christianity only really took off in the 3rd century. During the crisis of the 3rd century, there wasn't much hedonism to be had because everything was pretty hosed. It wasn't a hedonist class/slave conflict. There were many religions that had a genuine shot at taking the crown, and were popular around the same time, but Christianity got it, with Constantine sealing the deal.

* A big material reason why the Republic fell was due to a massive influx of slaves driving down wages of free people, with the old guard supporting the status quo, leaving the opportunity for populists like Julius Caesar to gain power.

The fall of the Roman Empire is one of those things that is oddly prescient when compared to the current status of the United States. I don’t think it is because there’s anything particularly special about the Roman Empire, but it’s just one of the most documented examples of an empire-in-decline with an actual ending. The denial of decline (I.e., the US losing its place as the sole global superpower) combined with Balkanization being openly talked about as a potential political solution is particularly relevant. The barbarians (I.e., the Gauls) eventually adopting Roman culture to the point that they out-Roman’d the “original” Romans seems like a weirdly accurate parallel to the current cultural disconnect in the modern US, where the people who best exemplify the ‘American spirit’ of hard work in exchange for a position in society being the so-called ‘illegal’ immigrants working soul crushing jobs just to live here are resented by the “real” Romans who own ski-doo dealerships.

Historia Civilis is a great YouTube to learn about Ancient Rome and other subjects, highly recommended: https://youtube.com/@HistoriaCivilis

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Eric Cantonese posted:

The Kochs can stick around as long as they concentrate on flashy shirts instead of political activism.

Say what you will about his riches, his Edgy Cubes pattern has been extremely valuable in keeping my ships of the line safe from German torpedoes

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Randalor posted:

In general, the god of drunken parties isn't known for being generous and fair. He might give you a fun time, or he might get blackout drunk and gently caress you over.

Dionysus was associated not only with wine and wild orgies, but also with madness. Even when he wasn't robbing people of their reason and causing them to commit atrocities (an admittedly common theme in Greek myth in general), he wasn't necessarily the best buddy around. Probably the most well-known tale he was involved in is the tale of King Midas, who helped out one of Dionysus' buddies and was rewarded by having his wish granted.

Aside from that, generally speaking, hedonism cults tended to violate generally-existing social and cultural standards, facing criticisms ranging from "put your drat pants on" to "I heard people of different social classes actually treated each other like equals when they were drunk enough". They tended to face disapproval from the ruling classes, and weren't necessarily all that open to new members either.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Also for every God of Drunken Debauchery, there's an OhGod of Hangovers that catches up to them.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Alkydere posted:

Also for every God of Drunken Debauchery, there's an OhGod of Hangovers that catches up to them.

Dionysus grants relief by telling you to never stop drinking.

Also, the madness bit could be something to do with the fact that Romans sweetened their wine with lead. Probably not a good choice.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

That is a point, and probably didn't lead to great things. Though it could have been worse: a small mercy for the Romans is that they didn't have Syphilis yet. That came after Europeans reached America and brought it back.

I was more thinking Terry Pratchett's Discworld where every mysterious force eventually creates a very real anthropomorphism. So the nights spent partying to whatever god of drunken revelry would be followed up to a morning puking in your chamber pot, unknowingly praying to the "OhGod" of hangovers until the poor, miserable bastard popped into existence.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
The Ra shitpost is rather missing that Egyptian religion was from all indications ridiculously complicated and also changed a lot over the centuries and in various places.

Main Paineframe posted:

In general, the god of drunken parties isn't known for being generous and fair. He might give you a fun time, or he might get blackout drunk and gently caress you over.

Dionysus was associated not only with wine and wild orgies, but also with madness. Even when he wasn't robbing people of their reason and causing them to commit atrocities (an admittedly common theme in Greek myth in general), he wasn't necessarily the best buddy around. Probably the most well-known tale he was involved in is the tale of King Midas, who helped out one of Dionysus' buddies and was rewarded by having his wish granted.

Aside from that, generally speaking, hedonism cults tended to violate generally-existing social and cultural standards, facing criticisms ranging from "put your drat pants on" to "I heard people of different social classes actually treated each other like equals when they were drunk enough". They tended to face disapproval from the ruling classes, and weren't necessarily all that open to new members either.

At least in most versions iirc Dionysus actively reverses the effects of Midas' wish specifically because it was meant to be a reward, and as funny as the results were he doesn't actually want to punish Midas.

The Romans were also massive prudes. Which of course doesn't necessarily mean they partied any less hard. You know how that goes.

Killer robot posted:

It seems to me that even from a strict scriptural perspective that holds up. There's a definite distinction between laws that are presented as universal moral codes, and laws that were presented to define a culture and keep it distinct from its neighbors. It mostly just gets weird if you filter it through a Protestant fundamentalist lens and read it as "God will send you to hell if you push an elevator button on Saturday or murder someone, same thing."

A lot about Protestantism makes sense when you find-and-replace 'God' with 'my rich abusive dad'.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

KillHour posted:

Lame God: "You must solve three riddles"
Cool God: "You must find 613 loopholes"

You joke but there is a literal story of a group of rabbis disagreeing with a rabbi god himself came down and said was right and they told God he gave them the right to decide what was correct so butt out and God just laughed and was like ‘drat they told me.’

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

KillHour posted:

That's not really it either. Remember, Christianity had its hooks in long before Constantine co-opted it in order to stabilize a failing empire. Likewise when the western roman empire fell, it was the Gauls who converted to the religion of their conquered subjects not the other way around. Ditto in the middle east with the mongols.

Faiths of salvation grew popular because they spoke to an emotional need for purpose, and a reassurance that suffering had a point in the long term. This is something that the Roman/Greek pantheons largely did not offer. Christianity won out over it's contemporary salvation faith competition precisely because it was inclusive of slaves and women at the time, whereas salvation faiths like Mithraism really didn't have a place for non-elites.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Captain Oblivious posted:

. This is something that the Roman/Greek pantheons largely did not offer.

The philosophy schools offered it and are where the term savior from soter comes from.