Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

frogbs posted:

This rules, but the most logical and appropriate upgrade is the Cannondale Compact Neo https://www.cannondale.com/en-us/bikes/electric/e-urban/compact-neo/compact-neo

The Hooligan is BACK!?!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

That's not nearly as cool as the hooligan (but a lot more practical).

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!
This isn't really ebike specific (is there are cargo bike thread?), but I figured it was worth asking:

Does anyone have experience/thoughts on whether a full long tail cargo bike is useful for just one kid? For example, would something like a Radwagon be overkill vs a Radrunner (just using Rad for size reference)?

I have been looking at full size cargo bikes like the Blix Packa Genie with some vague idea that it'd be nice to have room for the kid plus maybe a small grocery run or library books or whatever. But would a Radwagon-sized bike with panniers work just as well?

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
I wouldn't get a cargo bike if you don't need the functionality of carrying more than just one kid. They're heavy and kind of hard to maneuver.

I love riding with my 2 kids on mine, but if I could've gotten something smaller I would have preferred it.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

incogneato posted:

This isn't really ebike specific (is there are cargo bike thread?), but I figured it was worth asking:

Does anyone have experience/thoughts on whether a full long tail cargo bike is useful for just one kid? For example, would something like a Radwagon be overkill vs a Radrunner (just using Rad for size reference)?

I have been looking at full size cargo bikes like the Blix Packa Genie with some vague idea that it'd be nice to have room for the kid plus maybe a small grocery run or library books or whatever. But would a Radwagon-sized bike with panniers work just as well?

I found the biggest problem with a normal (hell -- 445 is pretty long for road bikes) chainstay length was that my kid was adding so much weight right over the rear axle. He could also push really hard into my back from how close he was sitting.

I've since moved to a Tern Quick Haul, which has plenty of space for one passenger, but is relatively short end to end for parking and maneuverability.
Even the cheaper model is 3k, a notch pricier than the Packa Genie, but it might be what you need.
I've added $300 worth of components to be more comfortable to offset the 20" wheels.

There's a non-motorized Short Haul for $1100, if you're living somewhere flat.

There is a commuter thread that might be relevant if you want to ask packing/carrying type questions.
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3933970

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

incogneato posted:

Yeah you can chuck mega-panniers in the back and carry alllll the poo poo. Also the rear of a GSD is eurocrate standard, for example (for carrying yet more poo poo). And a front rack (also eurocrate spec) for more of the same.

If you just wanna carry your kid, WGAF. But if you're trying to really replace a car, they own. Even just being able to carry kid AND a friend owns. Every time we put a new kid on either of our bikes they get off it beaming.

evil_bunnY fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Mar 6, 2023

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

:toot: RIP ZEEZ :toot:
Is it possible to restrict a class 3 ebike to class 1 and ship it to the EU to use? Like, can I get it certified as class 1 or something? Do they even check?

Basically, I'd like to bring my bike over, but it doesn't seem like there's a ton of info on this, or at least my googling hasn't been successful.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

The long answer is probably yes, but the short answer is I don't think so. For the cost of shipping your bike to the EU to use you could probably rent a compliant e-bike in your destination city for several weeks.

Huggybear
Jun 17, 2005

I got the jimjams

foutre posted:

Is it possible to restrict a class 3 ebike to class 1 and ship it to the EU to use? Like, can I get it certified as class 1 or something? Do they even check?

Basically, I'd like to bring my bike over, but it doesn't seem like there's a ton of info on this, or at least my googling hasn't been successful.

I don't know about Europe, but I do know there is no way to check if it's a Bafang unless you have a diagnostic emotor tool and those are hella expensive. I can tell wattage from eyeballing or reading the serial number, but I am in the business. Almost every 500W Bafang motor is 750W regardless, they just limit the top speed which limits the output. And you'll never convince me that the "250W" mids aren't pushing more than 250W of power.

The whole legal aspect of limited wattage is basically impossible to prove or enforce, other than the throttle. Knowledgeable law enforcement could figure out how to go through the display to check max speed, but there are a zillion displays and they are all different. No one but a total nerd with a chip on their shoulder is going to bother.

Someone might make you disconnect your throttle if you have one. I know the cops in the cities I live in couldn't care less and deliberately buy the bigger motors to ride around in class 3 mode. Parks are patrolled but that's mainly for speed limit and staying on the paths and even then out here there are dirt bikes everywhere and no one bats an eye.

incogneato posted:

Do not buy a RadWagon. They have a proprietary wheel size which is one of the stupider things they have done. They come with garbage mechanical disc brakes, there is only the single, low amperage battery (a good cargo ebike has a second battery option) - just a cheap, dangerous waste of money. The company is also failing. I used to work for them and left after they shipped out 5000 RadWagons without a single replacement tube or tire on the continent. They're remarkably stupid and greedy.

Huggybear fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Mar 8, 2023

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!

Huggybear posted:

Do not buy a RadWagon. They have a proprietary wheel size which is one of the stupider things they have done. They come with garbage mechanical disc brakes, there is only the single, low amperage battery (a good cargo ebike has a second battery option) - just a cheap, dangerous waste of money. The company is also failing. I used to work for them and left after they shipped out 5000 RadWagons without a single replacement tube or tire on the continent. They're remarkably stupid and greedy.

Noted and appreciated. I actually was not intending to buy from Rad. I was just using them as commonly known examples for size. I'm not sure how to describe the Radrunner sort of sub-cargo sized integrated rear rack bike that is so common for ebikes.

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

:toot: RIP ZEEZ :toot:

Safety Dance posted:

The long answer is probably yes, but the short answer is I don't think so. For the cost of shipping your bike to the EU to use you could probably rent a compliant e-bike in your destination city for several weeks.

That makes sense - in theory it was going to be a point-to-point trip, but I may have to re-evaluate that, if I can't find a place that'll do one-way rentals. The other reason I was considering shipping is that I'm tall enough there just aren't that many bikes that fit, so it'd be nice to have mine - I guess I should probably call some rental places and ask. I've also started looking into shipping a battery more, and drat it's hard to figure out how to make that work. Sadly Bike Friday isn't going to have their airline compatible batteries back in stock for an indeterminate amount of time.

Huggybear posted:

I don't know about Europe, but I do know there is no way to check if it's a Bafang unless you have a diagnostic emotor tool and those are hella expensive. I can tell wattage from eyeballing or reading the serial number, but I am in the business. Almost every 500W Bafang motor is 750W regardless, they just limit the top speed which limits the output. And you'll never convince me that the "250W" mids aren't pushing more than 250W of power.

The whole legal aspect of limited wattage is basically impossible to prove or enforce, other than the throttle. Knowledgeable law enforcement could figure out how to go through the display to check max speed, but there are a zillion displays and they are all different. No one but a total nerd with a chip on their shoulder is going to bother.

Huh, interesting - it's a Bosch, but doesn't seem to clearly indicate it anywhere anyway. It'd definitely be nice to have my own bike, but we'll see if shipping a battery is possible or not vOv.

raggedphoto
May 10, 2008

I'd like to shoot you

incogneato posted:

What about Benno? Might be worth checking out but I have no first hand knowledge of them.

https://www.clevercycles.com/benno-remidemi-etility-bike.html

Huggybear
Jun 17, 2005

I got the jimjams
The Radrunner type is a mini cargo ebike. The problem with these bikes is that they are tremendously heavy for the size and typically one or 6/7 speeds of very low quality - you'll end up throttling everywhere. The "long bikes", or the RadWagon type are usually better quality drivetrains and better ride quality. Of these, the Bennos and Terns are the best, but there are lots of other brands out there including Yuba and several ecomm models which are decent. Ecomm presents its own issues with having to build the bike yourself and god help you if you have an electrical error or PAS problem.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

raggedphoto posted:

What about Benno? Might be worth checking out but I have no first hand knowledge of them.

https://www.clevercycles.com/benno-remidemi-etility-bike.html
These are good too.

A Bag of Milk
Jul 3, 2007

I don't see any American dream; I see an American nightmare.
I've ridden my bike less than 200 miles after getting my brakes replaced and the new ones are already squeaking up a storm. The mechanic assured me that these were much higher quality than the old brakes, and would last much longer. And I've been deliberately as gentle as I can with braking. Now I receive a marketing email "What do you think of your new semi-metallic brakes?" Well, they stink! Lol. Don't buy Radpower.

Terminus Est
Sep 30, 2005

Motorcycle Miliitia

Tongsheng vs bafang mid drive kit. I'm leaning toward tongsheng for the torque sensing as I'm not interested in a throttle and am not convinced on cadence sensors. Planning to throw it on State single speed and use it to tow a ride-behind for my daughter.

Not terribly sure on what size battery to realistically go for as well. My impulse is go as big as possible, but do not have a realistic reference for what is achievable range wise with either kit.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

A Bag of Milk posted:

I've ridden my bike less than 200 miles after getting my brakes replaced and the new ones are already squeaking up a storm. The mechanic assured me that these were much higher quality than the old brakes, and would last much longer. And I've been deliberately as gentle as I can with braking. Now I receive a marketing email "What do you think of your new semi-metallic brakes?" Well, they stink! Lol. Don't buy Radpower.

Squeaking doesn't mean that they're not working or that the pad is worn out, in fact metallic pads are much more likely to just be noisy in the first place. They do last longer, and also are much squeakier.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

You can try cleaning off the rotors with rubbing alcohol for a little reprieve.

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

A Bag of Milk posted:

Did you bed them in?

raggedphoto
May 10, 2008

I'd like to shoot you
I have a routine maintenance question. I am currently racking up mileage to the point where the maintenance symbol is lighting up every other month, with my local shop charging $120 for each visit I need to start doing my own maintenance. I've done a lot of work on my mountain bikes so I can handle the basics but would usually leave bigger things to a mechanic.

Is it ok for me to maintain my Tern myself and only bring it like every 1,500 miles for a going over or will that void the warranty?

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
Bikes are usually pretty easy to maintain. What has the shop been doing for $120?

raggedphoto
May 10, 2008

I'd like to shoot you
I don't mind paying a shop $120 for an hour of their time if the employees are well taken care of, thats not my concern. I just can't justify $700 a year in maintenance for something I can do myself but I am concerned about warranty issues.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

raggedphoto posted:

Is it ok for me to maintain my Tern myself and only bring it like every 1,500 miles for a going over or will that void the warranty?

Somewhere in the warranty doc, I saw that you're supposed to have warranty repair work done at the shop that sold you the bike. That's kind of limiting. I plan to work on mine as usual and fight them if the now-local dealer won't get reimbursed for future warranty issues.

This is what the local dealer did when I asked them to tighten up the headset:

If any other Quick Haul owners out there -- a 36mm box wrench is the proper tool for that weird shaped lock nut.

Huggybear
Jun 17, 2005

I got the jimjams

Terminus Est posted:

Tongsheng vs bafang mid drive kit. I'm leaning toward tongsheng for the torque sensing as I'm not interested in a throttle and am not convinced on cadence sensors. Planning to throw it on State single speed and use it to tow a ride-behind for my daughter.

Not terribly sure on what size battery to realistically go for as well. My impulse is go as big as possible, but do not have a realistic reference for what is achievable range wise with either kit.

You've got good instincts. Torque sensors are far better, and the bigger the battery, the better. Basically amp-hours is the amount of hours you can ride your bike at level one in perfect conditions. Range varies highly because there are so many variables (elevation, resistance, wind resistance, fitness, gear usage, tire pressure) so just bet that you'll be riding your bike a lot more and make life easier for yourself with a bigger battery. Go at least 17Ah imo.

raggedphoto posted:

I have a routine maintenance question. I am currently racking up mileage to the point where the maintenance symbol is lighting up every other month, with my local shop charging $120 for each visit I need to start doing my own maintenance. I've done a lot of work on my mountain bikes so I can handle the basics but would usually leave bigger things to a mechanic.

It's fine with Tern, just don't tell your LBS you're doing it. That little maintenance icon thingy (Bosch?) is so they can update firmware and lighten your wallet for no reason. I am pretty sure you can download the software for the different systems yourself and it's extremely user friendly. Buy a torque wrench and keep your fasteners tight, inspect your brake pads every couple of weeks, check the firmware every thousand klicks or so and bring your bike in if you have legit issues over your head and they likely won't even notice the mileage differential unless they are anal enough to track it. That said LBS owners are a higher than average proportion of assholes. Personally, I see a modified ebike and I just look the other way unless it's a safety issue. Otherwise the industry is going to go the John Deere route and that would loving suck

edit: warranty repair work usually refers to warranty issues, like an electrical fault or a bad motor or I don't know, squished headset bearings out of the box. It's not like a car lease where you must have the oil changed by the dealer every six months or whatever. It doesn't usually mean regular maintenance or firmware updates. YMMV as some bike shops suck.

Huggybear fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Mar 10, 2023

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Terminus Est posted:

Another data point - I've had a BBS02 on a fairly standard street bike for a few years. I've only ever had ~300 Wh (52V * 6Ah) batteries because I ride relatively short distances and don't mind pedaling extra if I need to extend a bit. In my experience that capacity is enough to comfortably ride 10 miles, at least when the batteries are new. I live in a very hilly place and those 10 miles always include significant climbing, but I'm not towing anything and rarely carry more than a light pack.

I typically ride throttle control only, but that's because cadence sensor control is hot garbage and was going to get me killed riding in traffic. For all intents and purposes I'm using it like it's torque sensing (never power on without pedaling, generally proportional motor and pedal power).

A Bag of Milk posted:

In my experience disc brakes squeal the least when I use them as hard as possible. In my case the aforementioned hills don't give me much choice but to brake hard pretty regularly, but its easy enough to really jam on them as you approach each stop even on the flat. It's also good practice so you know your braking threshold if you ever have to do a panic stop.

If that fails then the cleaning already mentioned works, at least for awhile.

raggedphoto
May 10, 2008

I'd like to shoot you

Huggybear posted:

It's fine with Tern, just don't tell your LBS you're doing it. That little maintenance icon thingy (Bosch?) is so they can update firmware and lighten your wallet for no reason. I am pretty sure you can download the software for the different systems yourself and it's extremely user friendly. Buy a torque wrench and keep your fasteners tight, inspect your brake pads every couple of weeks, check the firmware every thousand klicks or so and bring your bike in if you have legit issues over your head and they likely won't even notice the mileage differential unless they are anal enough to track it. That said LBS owners are a higher than average proportion of assholes. Personally, I see a modified ebike and I just look the other way unless it's a safety issue. Otherwise the industry is going to go the John Deere route and that would loving suck

edit: warranty repair work usually refers to warranty issues, like an electrical fault or a bad motor or I don't know, squished headset bearings out of the box. It's not like a car lease where you must have the oil changed by the dealer every six months or whatever. It doesn't usually mean regular maintenance or firmware updates. YMMV as some bike shops suck.

Thanks for the info!

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

I had sqealy brakes issues from moisture but switching to disco brakes copper free cleared it up even through rainy days at the bike park. This is on an acoustic mtb but should still apply :)

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer

oXDemosthenesXo posted:

I've had a patch of super strong double-sided foam tape with more regular tape over top holding a magnet onto my brakes for like 5 years. Works great.

I think my bike saw me type this because the magnet fell off today lol. It held on by a scrap of duct tape I'd wrapped it in thankfully so it was an easy fix after a short but difficult ride home with no motor.

cinnamon rollout
Jun 12, 2001

The early bird gets the worm
Hi everyone, I've been looking into getting an ebike but I'm having trouble finding what would be a good fit for me.
I'm mostly going to be riding on a trail that is dirt or crushed rock, and well maintained. I'm also 6'6" and I am prone to back problems.
The only ebike I've ever ridden is a bike from rad power bikes that my father has, and it seemed pretty good.
Currently I have my eye on a couple of bikes, an x premium from lectric bikes, an aventure 2 from aventon, and a ripcurrent s from juicedbikes.
Please tell me which of these are bad or good choices and why, I don't want to make a bad purchase and have this nice bike sit unused in a shed all year, I want to exercise.
I really like the xpremium bike but I'm worried I will look like a clown as a big guy on a tiny bike.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
I have a Trek bike shop nearby and I'd like to get an ebike too, but this one is only going to be used on roads for getting around town. I was thinking about getting a Trek FX+? I think? I don't know much about ebikes or really bikes in general beyond how to ride one. Would the FX+ be a good bet? Right now I live in a decently sized ground-floor apartment so I can carry it inside and plug it into the wall fairly easily but I don't know if that's going to continue to be true long-term.

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

I could do with your...assistance.
Do torque sensors offer any material benefits over Cadence sensors if I don't have any specific issues with the latter?

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Jabarto posted:

Do torque sensors offer any material benefits over Cadence sensors if I don't have any specific issues with the latter?
They will ruin your opinion of cadence sensors.

E: More seriously, I find them much easier to control in slow tight areas and they tend to kick in sooner when starting from a stop.

CopperHound fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Mar 17, 2023

tildes
Nov 16, 2018

cinnamon rollout posted:

Hi everyone, I've been looking into getting an ebike but I'm having trouble finding what would be a good fit for me.
I'm mostly going to be riding on a trail that is dirt or crushed rock, and well maintained. I'm also 6'6" and I am prone to back problems.
The only ebike I've ever ridden is a bike from rad power bikes that my father has, and it seemed pretty good.
Currently I have my eye on a couple of bikes, an x premium from lectric bikes, an aventure 2 from aventon, and a ripcurrent s from juicedbikes.
Please tell me which of these are bad or good choices and why, I don't want to make a bad purchase and have this nice bike sit unused in a shed all year, I want to exercise.
I really like the xpremium bike but I'm worried I will look like a clown as a big guy on a tiny bike.

I don’t have specific recommendations on those since I haven’t tried any, but can share some stuff I found while trying to get an e-bike (this may not be that useful, I ended up not really finding anything in my price/size range, so take this with a grain of salt).

I’m 6’6”, and found I was about 2 inches too tall for most e-bike manufacturer’s specified height ranges. Depending on your joints and specific dimensions that might be ok.

If you are able to get fitted somewhere (some shops have a little machine that does this, or you could go more expensive and go to a bike fitter) that might help. They can tell you what geometry in a bike would work and then you can compare it to what is out there. Ideally they would also recommend specific bikes, but I think with e-bikes it’s hard to find a place which will do that for direct to consumer brands especially. It seems like depending on your dimensions (eg is your torso long? Your arms?) different stuff can fit or not fit despite manufacturers listed sizes.
Below here are some suggestions for finding a bike which explicitly fits people your height, with the caveat that I am a total novice at knowing how bikes fit:

In general, a step through model is almost never going to fit you according to mfgr specs, they tend to be for people who are shorter (folding bikes excluded somehow).

You could convert one of the bikes on this list to electric: https://www.cyclingabout.com/list-of-xxl-xxxl-bikes-for-tall-cyclists-62-63-64cm/

Apart from that, there are some brands which make bikes for up to 6’6”. I didn’t end up finding something quite in my price point, but might circle back later on. I was looking for pedal assist tho, so depending your preference these may or may not be good:

Bike Friday folding bikes can fit a really wide range of heights, and they can do semi-custom fits for talls. They are around $1,700 depending on the model before adding e-assist, which adds $800.

The VanMoof S3 (2.5k) and S5 (3.5k) will both fit you - they are made for Dutch people so they go really tall. A lot of downsides tho like being super proprietary so they are hard to fix.

The XXL Grail:ON from Canyon would probably fit you really well and is extremely nice, but also $4,000.

The HaiBIKE XXL sizes would also fit, but are also $3,000.

If you live in Europe, Gazelle has bikes which will fit you. In the US though they don’t sell their largest frame sizes and also don’t really ship them here.

Riese and Muller have sizes which fit, but are also regrettably maybe the priciest e-bike brand of all the above.

If you have an REI nearby they will take a shot at fitting you for their e-bikes, but they also don’t really go very tall so not super likely to work.

UncleGuito
May 8, 2005

www.ipadbackdrops.com daily wallpaper updates deserving of your iPad

cinnamon rollout posted:

I just got the new Turris from Ride1UP and really happy with it so far. Looks awesome, has a strong motor, and tires that can handle city/trail stuff.

https://ride1up.com/product/turris/

UncleGuito fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Mar 17, 2023

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

REI is doing 10% off on their ebikes:
1700 https://www.rei.com/product/190640/co-op-cycles-generation-e12-electric-bike
1350 https://www.rei.com/product/189967/co-op-cycles-generation-e11-electric-bike

Note how the more expensive one is the one with a rigid fork. Though the spec seems pretty much the same besides battery size and the front rack.

I think these prices make them better choices than a lot of the cheap tier. The brakes are gonna be better than many in the same price range, and you'll have more support through REI than some direct brands.

mystes
May 31, 2006

kimbo305 posted:

REI is doing 10% off on their ebikes:
1700 https://www.rei.com/product/190640/co-op-cycles-generation-e12-electric-bike
1350 https://www.rei.com/product/189967/co-op-cycles-generation-e11-electric-bike

Note how the more expensive one is the one with a rigid fork. Though the spec seems pretty much the same besides battery size and the front rack.

I think these prices make them better choices than a lot of the cheap tier. The brakes are gonna be better than many in the same price range, and you'll have more support through REI than some direct brands.
I think the support alone makes REI a much better choice than any of the comparable ones

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

The reviews note some blind spots, like REI (or anywhere) not carrying a Presta 20x2.4 tube, and needing a taller front ring, which REI already respecced.

cinnamon rollout
Jun 12, 2001

The early bird gets the worm

UncleGuito posted:

I just got the new Turris from Ride1UP and really happy with it so far. Looks awesome, has a strong motor, and tires that can handle city/trail stuff.

https://ride1up.com/product/turris/

Thanks I'm adding this to my list of potential bikes, I appreciate it, I also appreciate the advice above, helps put everything together

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

kimbo305 posted:

The reviews note... needing a taller front ring
I do have very strong opinion that people do not actually need greater than 86 gear inches when the assist tops out at 20mph.

But, maybe I should just add that to the list of reasons why I don't design bikes for sale.

CopperHound fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Mar 18, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Huggybear
Jun 17, 2005

I got the jimjams

kimbo305 posted:

The reviews note some blind spots, like REI (or anywhere) not carrying a Presta 20x2.4 tube, and needing a taller front ring, which REI already respecced.

Just drill out to Schrader. One can always go back with an adapter.

Jabarto posted:

Vastly superior. Cadence sensors are not an accurate rendering of pedal assist. Mid-motor drive torque sensor is the most natural and seamless as well as an accurate rendering of pedal assist.