Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"
If it gets the network teams I work with to quit complaining about CIDR allocations I say cut everyone over today

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k
Just add another layer of NAT

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

7 layer NAT burrito.

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"

Sepist posted:

Just add another layer of NAT

In the past two years I’ve worked on a non zero number of things that won’t even tolerate a single NAT without routing breaking

johnny park
Sep 15, 2009

How loving long is Freshdesk going to keep this poo poo at the top good god almighty

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

wolrah posted:

Don't think of it as how many IP addresses they need, but how many subnets they need.

Fair enough, it's just hard for me to wrap my head around the absurd scale of ipv6. There's no organizational need to "conserve" subnets but I feel bad for the people that have to organize such an enormous address space. I'm all for each department getting a single /64 and putting all their crap into it.

(unrelated, but they don't need 57 subnets)

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

johnny park posted:

How loving long is Freshdesk going to keep this poo poo at the top good god almighty

Forever, because security improvements are a never ending project.

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

Gravy Boat 2k

i am a moron posted:

In the past two years I’ve worked on a non zero number of things that won’t even tolerate a single NAT without routing breaking

I'm sorry you're trapped in 2002, you're not missing much

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

It’s azure private link to 3rd party services, very 2023 imo

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Removing NAT is good actually

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
They should make ipv69

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

Gravy Boat 2k

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Everything IPv6 related I've seen has the same feeling as the new manager who showed up and decided to overhaul all the processes whether or not they actually worked.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

The Iron Rose posted:

hot take, ipv6 sucks

*Alarms blare at internet HQ*

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Warmachine posted:

Everything IPv6 related I've seen has the same feeling as the new manager who showed up and decided to overhaul all the processes whether or not they actually worked.

Software support is pretty good now, I guess that's the advantage to people saying "we need ipv6 right away" for the past 20 years. Just gotta motivate admins to actually start turning it on.

It is happening though, some branches of government have issued requirements for high percentages of government systems to be ipv6 only within a couple years. Which will get rolled back to dual stack because they still require the ability to talk to the rest of the world but thems just details.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.
The main problem with IPv6 is that the main people who need it are the developing countries who don't already have substantial IPv4 allocations, and those countries are at 15% the IPv6 adoption of everyone else because, surprise, there's very few people in those countries who know IPv6 well enough to manage a substantial nationwide rollout

Prescription Combs
Apr 20, 2005

The Iron Rose posted:

hot take, ipv6 sucks and isn’t necessary in the vast majority of corporate environments, as evidenced by the fact it’s been 25 years since it came out and it’s no closer to general adoption thanks to the magic of multiple layers of NAT

Also it provides next to no value until everything is 100% converted since you still need to maintain ipv4 until that date.

Don't tell that to Comcast corporate.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

xzzy posted:

It is happening though, some branches of government have issued requirements for high percentages of government systems to be ipv6 only within a couple years. Which will get rolled back to dual stack because they still require the ability to talk to the rest of the world but thems just details.

Italian government internet service tenders hard requires ipv6 sadly not stating how.

thewizardofshoe
Feb 24, 2013

ASAPRockySituation posted:

Where are you, roughly? It seems like you’re getting shafted.

I went from more than that (not much more) at an onsite 7 hours of commuting a week job to a fully remote job making 60 after a single year of pain with only an A+, a few years of admittedly high level management experience, and no degree. It also seems like I’m in a good place to get promoted so I can make even more.

You should go get what you’re worth instead of staying comfortable. You deserve it.

Roughly, Texas. I need to look around in the market again but things have been looking pretty bleak at the beginning of this year with companies attempting to depress salaries again amid higher level layoffs from the FAANGs.

But you're right, I am absolutely undervalued and do need to keep looking always because it's too easy to get comfortable and cruise when you're not actively scanning opportunities. Worst case scenario we're planning on moving Northeast next year so I won't get stuck in this position longer than that.

Thanks!

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

i am a moron posted:

No one is filling help desk jobs with H1-Bs. I don’t think they qualify for help desk work to begin with, and the floor for H1B salary is too high for it

Yeah, hiring H1B's are expensive with a capital E. There are specific floor salary requirements depending on role and then there's a bunch of legal fees and HR time that's burnt getting all the paperwork in line.

That's not so say there isn't abuse in the system. The salary floors are across course titles and it's easy for a specialized skill to be worth more in a market than the floor salary for the title so that's one way they can be exploited to reduce costs. Also, H1B employees don't have the same freedom of mobility as other workers to it's easier for employers to abuse them with long hours and such.

But yeah, no one is dumping poo poo tier help desk positions on the market to exploit the H1B visa system.

App13
Dec 31, 2011

That feeling when you are sitting in a meeting where you get promoted and given a $5k/year raise knowing that next week you’re putting in notice to move to a job that is a $5k/mo raise

Wish I could’ve just given notice right then and there but I’m still waiting on the background check to finish and I can’t bring myself to pull the bandaid off before it’s time

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

App13 posted:

That feeling when you are sitting in a meeting where you get promoted and given a $5k/year raise knowing that next week you’re putting in notice to move to a job that is a $5k/mo raise

Wish I could’ve just given notice right then and there but I’m still waiting on the background check to finish and I can’t bring myself to pull the bandaid off before it’s time

poo poo man, that's life changing. Awesome.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

App13 posted:

$5k/mo raise

:eyepop:

Hell yeah :yotj:

App13
Dec 31, 2011

GreenNight posted:

poo poo man, that's life changing. Awesome.

Yeah I cried when the offer came in. Full on ugly sobs

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

App13 posted:

Ain't nobody gonna blame you for that.

:yotj:

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

I declined all my afternoon meetings and am heading to an Irish bar. Join me goons, gently caress work!

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

App13 posted:

Removing money as a stressor from life is an absolutely amazing thing. Congratulations.

Mustache Ride posted:

I declined all my afternoon meetings and am heading to an Irish bar. Join me goons, gently caress work!

I block off every Friday afternoon. No meeting Fridays.

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

I took yesterday off and have accomplished nothing today

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

my coworker is leaving early today and I don't have any work stuff planned so I may smoke something green and play some dwarf fortress

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

App13 posted:

gently caress yeah congrats!!!

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

App13 posted:

Jesus. $5k/mo is my actual on-paper gross. Life-changing is an understatement.

App13
Dec 31, 2011

Thank you all ❤️

I owe so much of it to this thread. Not even joking in the least. The little bits of advice I’ve picked up directly and indirectly have been nothing short of a force multiplier.

(Btw that post wasn’t meant to be a brag or anything, more of a dunk on my current employee for offering such a paltry raise, but the kind words and congratulations mean a lot :toot:)

Retrograde
Jan 22, 2007

Strange game-- the only winning move is not to play.

App13 posted:

Thank you all ❤️

I owe so much of it to this thread. Not even joking in the least. The little bits of advice I’ve picked up directly and indirectly have been nothing short of a force multiplier.

(Btw that post wasn’t meant to be a brag or anything, more of a dunk on my current employee for offering such a paltry raise, but the kind words and congratulations mean a lot :toot:)

That kicks rear end man, congrats! Please PLEASE let us know what your current employee says when you peace out, I need that schadenfreude hooked to my vein.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

thewizardofshoe posted:

Roughly, Texas. I need to look around in the market again but things have been looking pretty bleak at the beginning of this year with companies attempting to depress salaries again amid higher level layoffs from the FAANGs.

But you're right, I am absolutely undervalued and do need to keep looking always because it's too easy to get comfortable and cruise when you're not actively scanning opportunities. Worst case scenario we're planning on moving Northeast next year so I won't get stuck in this position longer than that.

Thanks!

I just got this job at the end of January. You can 100% do it! Apply to jobs you don't strictly qualify for! Apply to them all! Spend some time sprucing up the resume and optimize it for their search poo poo, after that you'll get calls. It's a lot of stress managing the various conversations but god drat is it worth it for you. Best of luck, shoe!

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Been at this job for 4 months and I still think I'm not good enough for it and trying to provide value. It never ends. Haven't laid me off yet though.

My interview with the DOD to get clearance sucked rear end. They asked me about poo poo that happened 23 years ago. And try to recite from memory what happened, as if I thought about that crap in 20 years.

"If you lie, we could throw you in prison."

Thanks man.

Prescription Combs
Apr 20, 2005

App13 posted:

gently caress yeah! Congrats.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

App13 posted:

$5k/mo raise

gently caress yeah :toot:

GreenNight posted:

Been at this job for 4 months and I still think I'm not good enough for it and trying to provide value. It never ends. Haven't laid me off yet though.

My interview with the DOD to get clearance sucked rear end. They asked me about poo poo that happened 23 years ago. And try to recite from memory what happened, as if I thought about that crap in 20 years.

"If you lie, we could throw you in prison."

Thanks man.

Yeah they suck rear end, but it's been my experience that so long as you're not going out of your way to lie or mislead them, they don't give a poo poo.

And sometimes you get an investigator who acts like a human being and acts normal. Nice when it happens.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Yeah the guy was super nice. But I'm double thinking some of the poo poo I said from 23 years ago. Like did it happen like I remember or not?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I still haven't gotten any bites on my applications, but they're talking promotions and my manager has been less overbearing. I'm still on my way out but 60k + remote is good enough for now.