Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Ha, not more than mine. I went out with an Oscar winner one time (she worked in sfx)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Jay Rust posted:

Ha, not more than mine. I went out with an Oscar winner one time (she worked in sfx)

You win this round, Mr Rust, but I’ll be back!

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

And I’m here to say that I haven’t seen the fabelmans but it def sucks

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

therattle posted:

I loved The Fabelmans. And I’m a producer so my opinion counts more than all of yours.

Tough but fair.

Rental Sting
Aug 14, 2013

it is not the first time I have been racist in the name of my own mistake and sadly probably not the last

Madkal posted:

I was chatting with my co-worker about films I loved the first time I saw them and was ambivalent/unimpressed or outright disliked the second time I saw them. Some are just films that weren't as impressive the second time around and others I really disliked. For me it was movies like Avatar, Titanic, Moulin Rouge and Vanilla Sky. For the movies I think I was so taken in by the experience of seeing them that I didn't really think too much about weak story and characters and nonsensical plotholes. It was all about the spectacle the first time around, but on repeat viewing the flaws became a lot more obvious. I'm actually thinking about watching Vanilla Sky again as when I first saw it I loved it and didn't mind it's weak extremely cliched ending (unlike the second time I saw it where I just hated the weak and extremely cliched ending).
You goons have any great the first time around/not so great the second films?

The first time I went to see Tree of Life in the theater I was utterly enthralled. Went back to see it a couple of weeks later and was bored to tears by the long-winded narration. I was in a bad mood and it might have been too soon, though. Haven't seen it since so I'm not sure which experience was the most legitimate.

Edit: Had a similar experience with dunc. Wouldn't say I was crazy about the movie but really dug it. Did not really hold up during a home viewing.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Jay Rust posted:

And I’m here to say that I haven’t seen the fabelmans but it def sucks

this was where i was at too but i've now heard from like three different people that it's very much about how Steven Spielberg wants to gently caress his mom and now i'm like "this i gotta see"

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
I wish DUNC had just been the Sardaukar scene for 120 minutes. Koyanaastqatsi with 10,000 AD Super Soldiers.

FrumpleOrz
Feb 12, 2014

Perhaps you have not been to the *Playground*.
The *Playground* is for Taalo and for Orz, but *Campers* can go.
It more fun than several.
You can go there for too much fun.

Madkal posted:

I was chatting with my co-worker about films I loved the first time I saw them and was ambivalent/unimpressed or outright disliked the second time I saw them. Some are just films that weren't as impressive the second time around and others I really disliked. For me it was movies like Avatar, Titanic, Moulin Rouge and Vanilla Sky. For the movies I think I was so taken in by the experience of seeing them that I didn't really think too much about weak story and characters and nonsensical plotholes. It was all about the spectacle the first time around, but on repeat viewing the flaws became a lot more obvious. I'm actually thinking about watching Vanilla Sky again as when I first saw it I loved it and didn't mind it's weak extremely cliched ending (unlike the second time I saw it where I just hated the weak and extremely cliched ending).
You goons have any great the first time around/not so great the second films?

I really enjoyed Birdman when I saw it in the theater but when I re-watched it for a Best Picture Winner marathon I did back in 2020, I found very little to enjoy with it. Just filled with grating characters and I found the fake one take thing really distracting and was pulling me out of things.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

FrumpleOrz posted:

I really enjoyed Birdman when I saw it in the theater but when I re-watched it for a Best Picture Winner marathon I did back in 2020, I found very little to enjoy with it. Just filled with grating characters and I found the fake one take thing really distracting and was pulling me out of things.

That’s how I felt the first time I saw it. I’ve sometimes enjoyed films more the second time (eg Life Aquatic) but for the most part second watchings only confirm (and maybe strengthen) my initial impressions. So if I rewatch a film I really liked I might like it even more on second watch.

FrumpleOrz
Feb 12, 2014

Perhaps you have not been to the *Playground*.
The *Playground* is for Taalo and for Orz, but *Campers* can go.
It more fun than several.
You can go there for too much fun.

therattle posted:

That’s how I felt the first time I saw it. I’ve sometimes enjoyed films more the second time (eg Life Aquatic) but for the most part second watchings only confirm (and maybe strengthen) my initial impressions. So if I rewatch a film I really liked I might like it even more on second watch.

I think what changed a lot of my impression of it is I started watching a lot more movies between viewings. I was a fairly casual film fan during the first filming but I started watching a film a day while I exercised so it really changed how I looked at films overall. I think Birdman was a casualty of that.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

FrumpleOrz posted:

I think what changed a lot of my impression of it is I started watching a lot more movies between viewings. I was a fairly casual film fan during the first filming but I started watching a film a day while I exercised so it really changed how I looked at films overall. I think Birdman was a casualty of that.

Very good, carry on.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Jay Rust posted:

He's not an oscar winner but my friend went on a date with the blonde McPoyle once. Apparently it was a little awkward!

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ruddiger posted:

Ah dang, I got all excited for the Japanese Cube remake but I guess it's gonna be exclusive to Screambox? I really don't want to sign up for another streaming service.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LKrc09iDrgQ

A second specifically horror streaming service? I'm more pissed than ever about those SVB fuckheads getting bailed out.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

https://twitter.com/zachsilberberg/status/1636533758533726209?t=DAuE6oH3-eB0gLIrvj2d3Q&s=19

Rental Sting
Aug 14, 2013

it is not the first time I have been racist in the name of my own mistake and sadly probably not the last

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

this was where i was at too but i've now heard from like three different people that it's very much about how Steven Spielberg wants to gently caress his mom and now i'm like "this i gotta see"

A very good or even great movie. The Fabelmans is really three films at once: A. the bildungsroman of a legendary American filmmaker B. familial psychodrama centered around an oblivious cuckold father and the weird sexual tension between manic pixie dream mother and the teen protagonist, and C. coming-of-age teen comedy about a Jewish kid's awkward attempt to find his place in a waspy bay area suburb high school. A and C are not the same but they sometimes intersect. I feel like people put off by watching the Fabelmans really have the wrong idea of what the movie is about. Even if you don't end up loving it, there are 5-6 scenes that are objectively masterful. I think about the final shot at least once a week. This is an excellent movie by one of the all-time Kings of American cinema and he's only got a handful left so you should fuckin learn to appreciate them.

Rental Sting fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Mar 17, 2023

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Rental Sting posted:

A very good or even great movie. The Fabelmans is really three films at once: A. the bildungsroman of a legendary American filmmaker B. familial psychodrama centered around an oblivious cuckold father and the weird sexual tension between manic pixie dream mother and the teen protagonist, and C. coming-of-age teen comedy about a Jewish kid's awkward attempt to find his place in a waspy bay area suburb high school. A and C are not the same but they sometimes intersect. I feel like people put off by watching the Fabelmans really have the wrong idea of what the movie is about. Even if you don't end up loving it, there are 5-6 scenes that are objectively masterful. I think about the final shot at least once a week. This is an excellent movie by one of the all-time Kings of American cinema and he's only got a handful left so you should fuckin learn to appreciate them.

Amen! I’d also add that it’s directed with such easeful masterfulness that one doesn’t even realise quite how well it’s made. It doesn’t draw attention to itself but it’s so superbly done.

This might of been posted here already, but it’s worth watching again.

https://twitter.com/nonsenseisland/status/1550562796458352641?s=46&t=Us7tsDC4srCCbwP2xpKIrQ

therattle fucked around with this message at 10:33 on Mar 17, 2023

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Fabelmans rules and it's a shame that three movies featuring movies in some way came out around the same time which led to a lot of dumb comments from the peanut gallery even tho they were all quite different from each other. Heck, two of those three movies were great!

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Rental Sting posted:

This is an excellent movie by one of the all-time Kings of American cinema and he's only got a handful left so you should fuckin learn to appreciate them.

i will watch The Fabelmans but i refuse to do this part

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Down with the monarchy

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
https://twitter.com/tmz/status/1636802153296560155?s=46&t=dey-fY90sO_5KMvNzbaWlA

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Jay Rust posted:

she wanted you so she could work from home

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
gently caress, chen kenichi bit it earlier this week, now this loving bullshit, it sucks

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Coaaab posted:

gently caress, chen kenichi bit it earlier this week, now this loving bullshit, it sucks

Oh what the hell, Chen Kenichi died too? Huge bummer.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

is there even a way to try his food outside of japan

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Rip to a Great One

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w5urkfdMUXo

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Amen. Another Wire alumnus gone too early.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

poo poo sucks. Goddamn.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
:( RIP Lance, you were awesome

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

but, uh... well, there it is

That sucks, he was always great when he popped up in a stuff and 60 is way too young.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

At least today we also found out that Fall is getting a sequel called Fall 2, Twister is getting a sequel called Twisters, and they're doing a big budget remake of Faces of Death

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Is there an April movie marathon challenge that goes on in this forum, like the October horror marathon? Thinking of starting one, and a friend suggested I should watch nothing but spoofs (which means I'm almost certainly going to end up watching some utter dreck, but then I usually do that in the October challenge too)

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Quote-Unquote posted:

Is there an April movie marathon challenge that goes on in this forum, like the October horror marathon? Thinking of starting one, and a friend suggested I should watch nothing but spoofs (which means I'm almost certainly going to end up watching some utter dreck, but then I usually do that in the October challenge too)

Every year I think about doing a Sci-Fibruary thread, but always end up deciding it's too much work.

Maybe next year...

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Gripweed posted:

Every year I think about doing a Sci-Fibruary thread, but always end up deciding it's too much work.

Maybe next year...

April spoof movies makes sense to me because, y'know... April Fools.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Quote-Unquote posted:

April spoof movies makes sense to me because, y'know... April Fools.

I think a comedy thread could be a lot of fun. People could go through Buster Keaton or Mel Brooks' filmography, or do theme stuff like all black and white, all musical comedies, one movie each from 30 different countries, etc. I'd get in on that.

I you stick to specifically spoof, that's a much smaller pool. People will probably be watching the same good ones as everyone else or doing the whole ______ Movie franchise out of masochism.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Would you include the horror movie April Fools Day in the April Fools spoof fest? It's not a spoof, but it is a twist on the slasher genre technically.

April Spoof fest sounds like a fun idea either way.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

I think if we wanna do an April Fools month it's gotta be a bit narrower than 'comedy'. Spoofs, slapstick, generally silly poo poo (maybe even the Jackass movies?) but yeah it can't be too narrow. Like rom coms shouldn't count, for example.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

As an example, I'm looking at doing this combination of films I like, films I have seen and thought were bad, films I'm sure I've seen but don't really remember and films I've never seen
1) Naked Gun
2) Naked Gun 2 1/2
3) Naked Gun 33 1/3
4) Airplane!
5) Blazing Saddles
6) Spaceballs
7) Dracula Dead And Loving It
8) Robin Hood Men In Tights
9) Young Frankenstein
10) Austin Powers: International Man of Mystery
11) Austin Powers: The Spy Who Shagged Me
12) Austin Powers: Goldmember
13) Police Academy
14) Police Academy 2: Their First Assignment
15) Johnny Dangerously
16) This Is Spinal Tap
17) Scary Movie
18) Spies Like Us
19) Black Dynamite
20) Hot Shots!
21) Hot Shots Part Deux
22) Not Another Teen Movie
23) Loaded Weapon
24) Fatal Instinct
25) I'm Gonna Git You Sucka
26) Spy Hard
27) Kung Fu Hustle
28) Shaun of the Dead
29) Hot Fuzz
30) The World's End

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I always had a soft spot for Spy Hard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
What about police academies 3,4,5,6,under siege, mission to moscow, and the television series?