Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wipfmetz
Oct 12, 2007

Sitzen ein oder mehrere Wipfe in einer Lore, so kann man sie ueber den Rand der Lore hinausschauen sehen.
It's not readonly or const, is it?
So maybe there'll be some simple startup code somewhere which will just prime++ until no more divisors can be found.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
https://mobile.twitter.com/sferik/status/1635837349958647808

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

i think this is in re: this

https://twitter.com/sferik/status/1635835231298285570

should accept the $14660 and see what happens IMO

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

Hammerite posted:

i think this is in re: this

https://twitter.com/sferik/status/1635835231298285570

should accept the $14660 and see what happens IMO

he says in response that he tried and got a server-side error

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
I'm gonna guess that either the reservation is being made on Test and somebody accidentally crossed the streams to let the notifs out or the reservations are being made on Production and rolled back, but the service that sends the notifs doesn't roll back the same way. Either way, lol.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

CPColin posted:

I'm gonna guess that either the reservation is being made on Test and somebody accidentally crossed the streams to let the notifs out or the reservations are being made on Production and rolled back, but the service that sends the notifs doesn't roll back the same way. Either way, lol.

From some of the other replies, it looks like he was one of the first people to sign up. If so, he may have the oldest listing, and the developer may be assuming that the oldest listing is a test account.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

Jade Ear Joe
https://twitter.com/RightsInfringer/status/1636029539171315714

i like the roll-eyes emoticon. "jeez this guy whose phone we made unusable is gonna sue us, how unreasonable, doesn't he know you have to move fast and break things in this game"

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Hammerite posted:

i like the roll-eyes emoticon. "jeez this guy whose phone we made unusable is gonna sue us, how unreasonable, doesn't he know you have to move fast and break things in this game"

quote:

PoE enjoyer

They're a special breed.

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

Hammerite posted:

https://twitter.com/RightsInfringer/status/1636029539171315714

Maybe I'm being overly charitable but I interpreted that as rolling his eyes at the industry that employs him, or possibly the guilty eye movement of someone whistling and nonchalantly walking away from a crime.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
small lol that their handle is rightsinfringer

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

Jade Ear Joe

Ranzear posted:

They're a special breed.

Google tells me that means "power over ethernet" and I had no idea that was an internet clique with a bad rep

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

That was the obvious joke I was gonna circle back to, but there's a better one about how it seemed normal to him based on how many messages it takes to get a trade late in a league.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

quote:

Poe enjoyer

For the love of God, Montresor, stop booking my loft!

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Toshimo posted:

For the love of God, Montresor, stop booking my loft!

Yes, for the love of God.

Books the year solid

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
gently caress you, Groovy (highlighting as Java for readability):
Java code:
    private Object singleValueFromString(ReportDefinitionParam rdp, String s) {
       if (rdp?.isTypeDateTime()) {
           try { 
               return new DateTime(Date.parse(rdp.pattern ?: 'MM/dd/yyyy HH:mm', s)) 
           } catch (Exception e) { 
               try { 
                   // try date portion only
                   return new DateTime(Date.parse(rdp.pattern ?: 'MM/dd/yyyy', s)) 
               } catch (Exception e2) { return null }
           }
        } else if (rdp?.isTypeDate()) {
            try { return Date.parse(rdp.pattern ?: 'MM/dd/yyyy', s) } catch (Exception e) { return null }
        } else if (rdp?.isTypeInteger()) {
            try { return new BigDecimal(s) as Integer } catch (Exception e) { return null }
        } else if (rdp?.isTypeDecimal()) {
            try { return new BigDecimal(s) } catch (Exception e) { return null }
        } else {
            return s
        }
    }
This code started breaking because I removed the ReportDefinitionParam.getPattern() function and didn't realize it was being used here. I couldn't tell it was being used here because, when the Groovy runtime encounters a property name that doesn't exist in the class, it throws something that extends Exception, not Error, so it was being silently discarded by one of these catch blocks.

The extra kicker was that nothing was ever calling setPattern() or addPattern(), so getPattern() was always returning null, before I clobbered it. Great!

(I should note that I inherited this code)

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
Petition to rename groovy to groverlang

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Soricidus posted:

lmao this tracks

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Soricidus posted:

Seconded.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Soricidus posted:

Thirded

is that good
Apr 14, 2012

ultrafilter posted:

From some of the other replies, it looks like he was one of the first people to sign up. If so, he may have the oldest listing, and the developer may be assuming that the oldest listing is a test account.

It could even be that some of his records are the id 0 records, and some function somewhere is inadvertantly coalescing some null input to send notifications on his account rather than not sending notifications at all.

Dijkstracula
Mar 18, 2003

You can't spell 'vector field' without me, Professor!

Reminds me of a bug at Twitter where an internal system had a "if the user you want to ban is supplied as a number, then it's the user's userid; else, it's the username" quote-unquote feature, and a misapplied regex incorrectly extracted a number from a username, which just happened to be @jack's userid, and then...

https://twitter.com/markmahoney/status/1256209823797882880

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank
The worst I've ever done in that spirit was changing the "invalid or missing material definition payload" fallback material for the Autodesk renderer from a diffuse mid-grey to a magenta & black checkerboard. I wanted to ensure that the surely rare malformed input would be detected.

Had I checked historical submissions I would've noticed that something like half of customer cloud renderings included invalid definitions. We got an enormous number of complaints at the obvious texturing bug that we'd introduced.

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.
I wiped all user inventories in live for an MMO on my first day in my first job in games.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

"Hey, Volmarias, you admitted knowing something about Linux. Well, Unix is like Linux, right? Fix the Unix port of the software that brings 90% of the company revenue and yet is treated as an afterthought."

Ok, well, I did it, but I don't have machines to actually test a couple of the OSes to make sure that this actually works on them.

"Oh, that's fine. Here, have access to the server room and use the AIX box there to test that one."

Uh, ok, wait, it looks like this is out of date for what we need to run this version, can someone help set thi-

"You're the Unix expert now, you do it!"

Uh...

Oops, I've just bricked $10k. Welp.

Bruegels Fuckbooks
Sep 14, 2004

Now, listen - I know the two of you are very different from each other in a lot of ways, but you have to understand that as far as Grandpa's concerned, you're both pieces of shit! Yeah. I can prove it mathematically.
Let's just say I never claimed to be an expert in the physics of nuclear medicine.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Back in the days when we made desktop apps I launched multiple DDoS attacks against our servers.

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

ultrafilter posted:

Back in the days when we made desktop apps I launched multiple DDoS attacks against our servers.

I like the stories of the old timers that made botnets out of their user machines to enable updates.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

Bruegels Fuckbooks posted:

Let's just say I never claimed to be an expert in the physics of nuclear medicine.

im permabanned forums poster theracwhacker24

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

garbage man from a garbage can
I lost the entire company's network file share one night trying to run updates on a server. We had no files for 3 days as we went through the recovery process.

There were no backups.

I just had to pray that the files were still there on the drive, despite the partition not being able to be mounted.

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon
I brought down Shoebuy’s checkout for ten minutes. But I also fixed a broken deploy done on Friday afternoon by a programmer who immediately went out to the bar, so I think I’m running a positive account.

Pie Colony
Dec 8, 2006
I AM SUCH A FUCKUP THAT I CAN'T EVEN POST IN AN E/N THREAD I STARTED

CPColin posted:

gently caress you, Groovy (highlighting as Java for readability):

This code started breaking because I removed the ReportDefinitionParam.getPattern() function and didn't realize it was being used here. I couldn't tell it was being used here because, when the Groovy runtime encounters a property name that doesn't exist in the class, it throws something that extends Exception, not Error, so it was being silently discarded by one of these catch blocks.

The extra kicker was that nothing was ever calling setPattern() or addPattern(), so getPattern() was always returning null, before I clobbered it. Great!

(I should note that I inherited this code)

This doesn't really seem like a Groovy problem, I'd be angry at whoever wrote that code

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

I bricked a dev board once because I didn't know that OTP meant "One Time Programmable" ie literal fuses and if you set them to something invalid there's no way back

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

Pie Colony posted:

This doesn't really seem like a Groovy problem, I'd be angry at whoever wrote that code

It's both :unsmith:

LOOK I AM A TURTLE
May 22, 2003

"I'm actually a tortoise."
Grimey Drawer
My best fuckup was the time I was writing some code that was supposed to invalidate a given customer's most recent invoice, putting it back to an unpaid state. Instead I accidentally made it invalidate all payments in the customer's entire invoice history. Essentially I looped over subscription.Transactions instead of invoice.Transactions, so the bug was a one-liner and the code looked plausibly correct at first glance.

The effect was that at the payment date of the invoice, the customers would be automatically charged for all those transactions using their credit card payments agreements. Some of the customers in question had histories in the database going back more than 20 years, so some of those automatic payments were $1000+.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
I broke 911 calling for an office of a couple hundred people and didn't notice for three weeks until someone misdialed 911 and... it didn't work.

Always test your critical changes.

Sagacity
May 2, 2003
Hopefully my epitaph will be funnier than my custom title.

LOOK I AM A TURTLE posted:

Essentially I looped over subscription.Transactions instead of invoice.Transactions, so the bug was a one-liner and the code looked plausibly correct at first glance.
It's odd that your unit tests didn't catch this though

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Sagacity posted:

It's odd that your unit tests didn't catch this though

You knit tests?

Me, probably, circa 2005

Theswarms
Dec 20, 2005

Pie Colony posted:

Yeah catch exception e is the problem here. It's a very common way to handle exceptions and the majority of the time it is completely wrong. DateTime.parse probably throws a parse exception which is what should be handled there, since that's clearly handling a parsing failure. But no. Exception e.

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

leper khan posted:

I wiped all user inventories in live for an MMO on my first day in my first job in games.

you didn't work for wanadoo by any chance did you? i remember people's DAOC inventories vanishing and them basically having to go "uh, could you tell us what items you had and please be honest?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
I knocked the website for the Australian equivalent of the IRS offline.