Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:
I have a feeling we're going to be taking orders from Ikora and Osiris in Final Shape due to this because I don't know how you can recast Zavala at the game's final moments without fans getting really angry/upset.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ezis
Oct 10, 2001

This ten year plan just keeps getting worse all the time

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Man, Zavala was like the one character who had been there from the start and was still there all the way until now. :/

I guess Holliday too.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

MJeff posted:

I guess Holliday too.

Zavala, Ikora, Rahool, Banshee, Holliday, and the postmaster robot have been there every single day since Destiny 1 launched (before, even, since you could go to the tower in the alpha)

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=swDpXJpLe88

My favorite voiceover in all of Destiny.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

haveblue posted:

Zavala, Ikora, Rahool, Banshee, Holliday, and the postmaster robot have been there every single day since Destiny 1 launched (before, even, since you could go to the tower in the alpha)

Ikora switched VAs, fair point on the rest.

neutral milf hotel
Oct 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Lance Reddick passed this morning :smith:

what
the
gently caress

oh man

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

This is what happens when people say they like gambit

dodgeblan
Jul 20, 2019

Pirate Jet posted:

Nah I feel it. The dude had such an outsized presence in everything he had. I have so much respect for any actor that pours as much love and devotion into a role as small and as silly as the blue alien general in a space magic GaaS game.

Impossible not to respect someone who loves their work enough to take Bungie's awful writing and make it iconic through sheer force of will

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
God this is so sad. Only 60 years old, and goddamn he carried Season of the Chosen and Haunted. Completely irreplaceable.

Grimthwacker
Aug 7, 2014

God dammit, Lance Reddick passing is terrible news to start the weekend. He always had way too much fun with this game. I joined fairly late but Zavala's been one of the bedrock characters and good luck trying to replace him, in-game and out. My heart goes out to his family and fans. :(

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat

Firebert posted:

God this is so sad. Only 60 years old, and goddamn he carried Season of the Chosen and Haunted. Completely irreplaceable.

That disappointed-dad “NOT. ANOTHER. WORD.” absolutely made Risen for me.

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

I don't really mourn a lot of celebrities when they pass but Lance Reddick was a treasure and deserved way more credit than he got. The Wire is a foundational piece of media and he inhabited and elevated every role he ever played - including in the dumb video games I've loved to see him in. He even made his parts of Quantum Break good.

Quantum loving Break.

neutral milf hotel
Oct 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
new thread title

Destiny 2: [Zavala] You watch the haunted moon, I'll watch the skies. RIP Lance

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat
https://twitter.com/tj_mackey432/status/1301253486391316480?s=46&t=DT925tMY54SwGEv9vbPHUw

Guardian… the source of the goo… is you

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

haveblue posted:

This is a true, factual statement, but there is an emotional element coming in to play here that makes it different. You're totally right that Master Rahool has been around from the start, just like Zavala, but if Erick Avari were to die, the reaction would be very different. People wouldn't hold vigils around the NPC, and you might even see jokes! 'That's what you get for always giving me bad loot, haha!' etc

Lance Reddick's Zavala is a character in the Tower, just like Rahool, but Zavala has had story arcs that intersect with the players' experiences. A lot of them have also dealt with themes like failure, loss, and grief that people can relate to, even though Zavala is another person, inside a video game, set in the future in outer space, while the players are from real life, here on earth & in the present.

His voice acting performances were very high quality, which helped people to 'buy in' to whatever Zavala was going through. The voice is also instantly recognizable as 'Lance Reddick' which helps people think of Zavala as a human being and not just an NPC with voice lines.

Most of us never actually met Lance Reddick, and we know that factually Zavala is just a character inside the TV screen. But because of the above, a lot of people are hearing the news today and doing this face:

uwaeve
Oct 21, 2010

focus this time so i don't have to keep telling you idiots what happened
Lipstick Apathy
Eyes down, Guardian. ;_;

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?
this sucks :(

what doesn't suck is the bug hat on strand titan but

:(

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

Ad astra, Lance, may your gardens forever bloom.

neutral milf hotel
Oct 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Waffle House posted:

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Waffle House posted:

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
The Witness murders the IRL guardian fireteam, and then Lance dies.
gently caress.
:smith:

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

AI voices are a thing goons

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

magiccarpet posted:

A terrible thing nobody wants, yes.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

magiccarpet posted:

They’re not going to do this

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
https://twitter.com/Bungie/status/1636860522149683201

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

drat, kinda sucks. He was a huge part in a couple of my favorite games (Destiny & Horizon) and he was just huge part in everything he was in. RIP to a great one.

A Buffer Gay Dude
Oct 25, 2020
drat, imagine Lightfall being your last expansion

Booties
Apr 4, 2006

forever and ever
gently caress this is terrible news. Awful for fans and absolutely devastating for his family and friends. RIP.

No idea how bungo handles this. Doubt they have more than a season or two recorded and ready to go, and the story beyond that is surely still in development. They can’t kill him. His arc is taking him towards a peaceful post final shape life. Like a thanos type thing minus the beheading. It’s gonna suck no matter what.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Booties posted:

gently caress this is terrible news. Awful for fans and absolutely devastating for his family and friends. RIP.

No idea how bungo handles this. Doubt they have more than a season or two recorded and ready to go, and the story beyond that is surely still in development. They can’t kill him. His arc is taking him towards a peaceful post final shape life. Like a thanos type thing minus the beheading. It’s gonna suck no matter what.

Christopher Walken will play the voice of Zavala.

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

Whether we wanted it or not, we've stepped into a war with the Cabal on Mars.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

What are the chances that the final shape voice acting is all done?

A Buffer Gay Dude
Oct 25, 2020

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Junkenstein posted:

What are the chances that the final shape voice acting is all done?

0%

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

He never got his iconic slave role :(

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

They can always reuse voice assets. That number could be as high as 2%.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
https://twitter.com/Destiny2Team/status/1636781789103656960?s=20

The Primary PvE balance pass is being pushed up from Season 21 to mid Season 20 :toot:

https://twitter.com/Destiny2Team/status/1636791835720024064?s=20

Numbers per Trusted Discord User 'Freezing Dart' of the Destiny News Network

Auto rifles +25% damage to minors and majors
HCs, Sidearms and Pulses: +20% damage to minors and majors
Scout rifles: +10% to minors and majors
Bows: No reputable rumors that they are getting a buff. Doesn't mean they're not getting a buff, but apparently bows are a little tricky to modify for mechanical & balance reasons?

Special Weapons are expected to be rebalanced as well but there is no current reason to believe this is being pushed from S21 to mid S20. Rapid Fusions, Trace Rifles, and all Snipers are expected to see minor to moderate damage boosteroonies

Per their second tweet, Aggressive SMGs (which includes Tarrabah) are tentatively expected to get lower base damage that is 'mostly' offset by a higher crit multiplier. The goal is to make them less forgiving, but still competitive when used skillfully. That's how the archetype used to be and they really sucked back then!

The most reputable rumor for Tarrabah-specific nerfs are -1 to its Zoom and the exotic perk charging at 1/3rd the current pace

its all nice on rice posted:

They can always reuse voice assets. That number could be as high as 2%.

"Indeed, Guardian. I'm overseeing Operation: You've reached the Reddick Household and we Can't Come to the Phone Right Now, Please Leave a Message After the Beep".

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

"Indeed, Guardian. I'm overseeing Operation: You've reached the Reddick Household and we Can't Come to the Phone Right Now, Please Leave a Message After the Beep".

Unironically this would be hilarious.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
As someone who has never watched The Wire or John Wick, I mostly know Lance from his voiceover work, and I have fun finding his distinctive voice in the cast, similar to the late Tony Jay. To me him being in other VO roles is like a weird Zavala cameo, like when he plays the program in Tron Uprising who was secretly working for CLU.

But more importantly for Destiny, as actors began to complain that video games don't pay poo poo and Bungie realized that Destiny was not going to be the kind of enormous cash train they thought it would, Zavala was there through everything. He was never recast, and he's not even far from the action for long. Lance Reddick did work for as many minor DLC questlines and and mid year seasonal expository reveals as Bungie asked for him, and it likely wasn't because he was getting a kings ransom for it. Bungie could add a quest where a Ghost farts and Lance would show up and say some stoic words about it.

And to players Zavala was basically the load-bearing pillar of the entire story. No matter how many moves Bungie made due to cutbacks, or characters who disappeared due to actors not realizing that this video game was a multi year narrative you don't record in one session, or finding larger productions to move on to, there's a security blanket effect that, you know, this one guy is still here and that doesn't change.

Obviously there's nothing Bungie could possibly do here. I do wonder if Zavala will blaze of glory disappear leading into TFS, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SmallpoxJenkins
Jul 9, 2012

Watch John Wick, watch the Wire in full if you really care, or clips if not.