Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Omobono posted:

Iwai would fire and/or murder Maaku if he applied a camo that didn't vibe with the model gun; however, Maaku can pass slingshots as trial runs for painting experience.

yeah nevermind, this sounds canon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flair
Apr 5, 2016

Arist posted:

There’s something really weird about the way characters will incorporate verbal tics into their texting. Like, I sometimes write things out in the way I would say them for EMPHASIS, but I wouldn’t try to replicate stammering in a text message. I’m not going to say it’s “lazy,” because it’d have to be extremely egregious for that to ever be justified when talking about a creative endeavor of this scale, but it is kind of funny.

Obviously these teens are using speech to text /s

Arist posted:

Lady Ann and Ryuji teaming up honestly worries me… But I guess we’ll see what they can do.

Why does Ann worry you? Aren’t you in love with her?

I assume Mona is concerned that the combination of two most outspoken and confrontational members of the group might not jell with the most reserved member.

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

kebyou posted:

i actually wonder what was the original emotes (kaomoji) she used in the JPN version, but i'm too lazy to look up a gameplay video

Actually just :| :( :P

The change makes them feel less authentic tbh (who even uses :U)

MetaMeme
Apr 30, 2017

You may boorishly refer to it as "Pickpocketing", but I prefer "Urban Foraging".
I use :U! :U, :T, and :V too!

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Ive been using :U and :W since 2002. :colbert:

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

Alright, fair, I'll just say much less common then.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
They supposed to be smileys that are obscure and inscrutable to an offline soul like Yusuke, who still would totally grok something as commonplace as ":P," while cementing Futaba as The Peer Who Is Too Online.

I have no knowledge of smiley usage among Japanese zoomers, but it feels like a wholly appropriate localization decision.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

UwU what's this

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Chapter 113: 8/25-8/26: The Masked Barista

This update covers content from Part 92 of the original LP.

Anon: Thanks, Phantom Thieves!

Early Morning

Music: Beneath the Mask (Instrumental Version)

This will be a stressful turn of events…

Early Morning → Daytime

Music: Alright

But I’ve never had her do anything like that before. Is she gonna be okay?

It’ll be fine. I’ll watch her.
You? Not what I wanted to hear.

D-Don’t worry. I did graduate middle school last year… I-I’ll be fine if I just think of this as my first summer job of high school!

Cool. I’m slightly confused at how long you’ve been a shut-in now, but cool.
How long did you think?
Like, two years, at least.
Well, whatever. Futaba, do you think you can handle doing the dishes?
Aye aye!

Eep!

Sure thing.

Hey there, sport. You doing all right?
Très bien!

Man, smooth as always. What number Bond girl is this, Boss?

Are you allowed to reference that?

Huh?

You usually go for the older ones, right? It’s only natural you’d want someone younger sometimes.

*teeth clenched* It’s not like that for several reasons, a major one being that she’s fifteen, you creep. (to kitchen) Hey, bring this guy his coffee before I deck him.

Oh, Futaba’s missing. I wonder where she went. Now to turn my head fifteen degrees to the left…

Yo, here’s your coffee.
When in the world did she…

Normally I’d get mad that you put that thing on in front of a customer, but this guy sucks, so I’ll just tell you not to do it again.
Roger! Here’s your coffee, douche!

I’m ashamed I doubted the power of the mask.

Huh. Turns out this is pretty easy.
To think Futaba’d go out and talk to a customer herself… Mask aside, I’m impressed. Looks like people really can change.
Sojiro! Want me to bring coffee to more customers?
Mask off first.
H-Hrghhh… I’ll think about it.

C’mon, Sojiro! It’d be really funny!

Daytime → Evening

Music: Beneath the Mask

>Good question. Ryuji?
Hey! I haven’t blown our secret in at least two months!

Why the question?
I overheard someone in the city saying they’re our acquaintance.
Talk about false rumors.
But hey, at least we’re famous enough to HAVE rumors about us! We might even break into the news online! Or maybe TV!

Ryuji’s sure getting into our recent rise in fame… I’m sure this will be fine.

By the way, how did today go?
I served coffee to customers!

>The sudden sensation of fear created by the weird sumo mask probably made the coffee taste even better. Good work, Futaba.

So she showed up in front of customers with that thing on…
Anyways, you better get used to it fast. You can’t be a Phantom Thief if you’re scared of people!
I’ll try my best.
Futaba’s been working really hard.

I know. Maybe with her around Sojiro will have me do less busywork in my free ti—yeah, no, I doubt it.

And then there’s Ryuji. It’s like he doesn’t have a care in the world… He’s gonna get in trouble somewhere down the line if he keeps this up…

They have stated that they are “investigating it carefully,” with no mention of the Phantom Thieves. Many people have voiced their disappointment in the police, and…
The police really lost a lot of face. It’s really not their fault, though.

Yeah, it’s ours. And they deserve it, for being cops.

Time for crosswords.

Music: Everyday Days

I did have to look this one up, I’m familiar with the word “sweltering” but don’t see it used enough that it’s actually part of my regular vocabulary, so it didn’t occur to me.

Maaku gains Knowledge +1.

We don’t have enough points to progress with Hifumi after the last event, so let’s get a Fortune Reading for her.

We then head back to Leblanc because we’re actually going to do some reading tonight.

We need Knowledge pretty desperately. I don’t think we’re going to make it in time for the next Mementos visit, which is pretty set in stone before the Hawaii trip so we can unlock Shinya ASAP, but before we can unlock Hifumi’s Mementos request, we need Rank 5 Knowledge. Checking the bathroom will reveal that we aren’t yet in the “about to rank up” phase, but Hifumi’s final two Confidant abilities are extremely good and I want to get them as soon as I can, so we’ll be pushing Knowledge.

Why, then, am I choosing the Factorization Guide instead of a book that directly increases Knowledge? Well, I’m taking a gamble that I’ll have enough study opportunities in the near future to offset the immediate loss in Knowledge gain. As it turns out, this was a wise gamble to make; it rains the next two nights, which will increase our Knowledge gain from 3 notes (5 points) each night to 3+1 notes (7 points). Increasing Knowledge from Rank 4 to Rank 5 is the largest social stat gap in the game, with 66 points needed. If we hadn’t read the Factorization Guide, though, that gain would go from 14 points over two days to only 10, which almost a full normal study session worth of Knowledge lost.

Basically, this should get us much closer to maxing out our Knowledge quickly. I’m really not worried about the next exam, we should easily have enough time to max it before then, but I might honestly delay entering the next Palace until I can get Togo System from maxing Hifumi, if that’s viable (I very much doubt it is).

Music: Break it Down (Elp Version)

I see, so it’s most efficient to first understand how things are structured…

A study guide on how to study… This book was very easy to understand. I can already see that you’re able to study with more efficiency now!

Anon: modern day robin hoods~
Anon: who the hell is admin?
Anon: They’re still suspicious.
Anon: I’m totally sold now
Anon: too slow. hurry, do another

That would be awesome! Why not make a request on the forum?
That Akechi is all talk, isn’t he?
Why is he so hostile to the Phantom Thieves?
Right!? Some people just can’t read the mood…

Hell yeah!

Anon: it’s like a creepy cult…

Hell no!

Daytime

Huh? Do we not have anything planned?

Honestly, I wanted to bring Futaba with us…
We can’t just take her into crowds like that though! That’d be way too soon!
Sometimes drastic measures are necessary.
Such spiky words…
You know you’d need to do this someday, right?
Actually, Queen’s clothes have lots of spikes too. They’d prolly pierce my hand if I touched them.
I have honestly considered that possibility as well.
You too, Yusuke!?
Hey this sounds like fun. I wanna join in.
We’re talking to Futaba! This doesn’t involve you!
Note: Ann is cold to Ryuji.
Don’t take notes on this… Anyway, look forward to us coming over!
My heart’s pounding…
…Just what are they scheming?

Anon: Thanks, Phantom Thieves!
Anon: poo poo ain’t that easy
Anon: modern day robin hoods~
Anon: I’m totally sold now
Anon: imma buy ALL THE MERCH!!
Anon: phantom thieves = godly!!
Anon: who the hell is admin?

Miss! Miss! Want me to steal your heart?
Is that a pick-up line? Don’t make me laugh.
Apparently they’re even famous overseas! Isn’t that nuts?
I wish I could join the Phantom Thieves…

Music: Break it Down

Hrmm… I dunno. I can’t really tell.
People cannot change their deep-seated habits that easily.
Well, let’s just say you’ve made some progress for now.

I’d call that animal abuse… but eh, he deserves it.
Where are those girls, anyway? We’ve been waiting forever.
(from downstairs) Oh, I’m so sorry, your majesty. I hate that we’ve made you wait, disrupting your ever-so-busy schedule of… you know, I can’t think of a conclusion to this sarcastic comeback. That’s how little interest I have in imagining the sad life you must lead.
…Whoa.
Harsh but fair.
(from downstairs) Anyway, we’re here now.

Apologies for the lateness. We were looking at multiple items and weren’t sure which to choose.

Unlike Makoto, I refuse to apologize.
…All right, then. What were you looking at?

A swimsuit, of course. For Futaba-chan.
A-A s-s-swimsuit!?
You don’t have one, do you?
No, but…
Okay. Let’s have you try it on right now then.
N-N-N-Now!?
You can’t go to the beach if you don’t have a good-fitting swimsuit. We don’t have much time left, you know.
Uh, but… Ummm… Uhhhh!
(to the boys) You know what’ll happen if you try and look… right?

Oh, you don’t need to worry about that, I don’t trust my libido anymore. It’s been a long time coming, I’ve had a really bizarre series of run-ins with Kawa—sorry, a maid none of you would know—but the real catalyst was a few nights ago when a woman in her mid-thirties told her boss we were dating to get out of a bind—
…Wait, what?
I’m still talking. Anyway, since that happened I’ve realized that women are wicked temptresses I cannot trust. I must sublimate all carnal desire and feed that energy into my art.
…Hold on. If you could, I would also like more information on the previous subject.
Oh, my art? I’m glad you asked. I’m forming a jazz duo with Akechi. He doesn’t know about it yet, though. Any ideas for getting him in on this?
No! Stop! You have to tell us what the hell you were talking about! You can’t leave us in suspense on this, you brought it up!
Anyway, why are you guys kicking me out of my own room instead of using Futaba’s house for this if we’re not even allowed to see the swimsuit?
Are you going to tell us what the hell that was?
What was what?
*sigh* Just go downstairs.

Music: My Homie

(from upstairs) I know, right? …There we go. It’s on.
What the—!? This barely covers anything!
That’s normal for a swimsuit. Now, we just need to push these a little more this way…
Gyah!

(shouting to upstairs) You guys know we can hear you, right?
(shouting from upstairs) Shut up!
(shouting to upstairs) Well, as long as you know!

Yeah, we’re goin’ to the beach pretty soon so they’re tryin’ some swimsuits out.
Futaba’s going to the beach… I didn’t think I’d ever see her take that much interest in going outside again…
(from upstairs) Well then, it seems we’re good to go with the swimsuit.

How’s it look?
I’m not gonna lie: you’re fuckin’ adorable. Or at least you would be, if you could stop slouching! I’m gonna drill you into shape, private!
Sir, yes sir!

She might be some trouble, but I hope she can make some great memories with you guys.

Daytime → Evening

Music: Beneath the Mask -Rain-

All that’s left is for Futaba to prepare herself mentally.
I can do this. I can… I think. Maybe.
So you’re not confident.
Shuddup, Inari.
Ahhh, it’s finally starting to feel like summer vacation.
Still, I’ve been thinking about some things now that matters have calmed down a little more…

>Buzzkill.
Hey! It’s important we not lose sight of the bigger picture here. The psychotic breakdowns, cognitive psience, and the one in the black mask.
>Eh, it’s got nothing to do with us.
But this is important!
>And it never will!

Maaku gains Kindness +3.

Actually, never mind. It would be weird for me to wear clothes. Wait a second… Does that mean I’m naked right now?

(Host) After the commercial break, let’s see if we can reveal some of the mysteries surrounding them!
(Panelist) Phantom thieves are extremely popular among young people. I hear some even think of them like gods.

The weather’s bad today, but… It’s easier to focus on studying when you’re stuck inside, anyway.

As I mentioned earlier, we’ll be studying to take advantage of the rain.

It seems you now have a greater understanding of the material after reading this study book.

Maaku gains Knowledge +3.

But man oh man, you were in the zone! Your pen hardly stopped moving.

Maaku gains an additional Knowledge +1 from the rain.

Arist fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Mar 26, 2023

Level Seven
Feb 14, 2013

Wubba dubba dubba
that blew.

Megamarm

Arist posted:

All that’s left is for Futaba to prepare herself mentally.
I can do this. I can… I think. Maybe.
So you’re not confident.
Shuddup, Inari.

Fox, master of disguise.

Maaku, master of changing the subject that he never brought up to begin with.

TheDavies
Mar 27, 2010
-nvm-

Flair
Apr 5, 2016

Arist posted:

(shouting to upstairs)[/i] You guys know we can hear you, right?

typo

kebyou
Feb 7, 2023

At first I was confused on how a word for "really loving hot" was specific to Japan until I looked it up and the word was 熱帯夜 in the JP version. the more you know! weird localization choice, though.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Arist posted:

Sojiro! Want me to bring coffee to more customers?
Mask off first.
H-Hrghhh… I’ll think about it.

Daytime → Evening

Huh, never really thought about this transition before.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Chapter 114: 8/27-8/28: Trauma Dump

This update covers content from Parts 92 and 93 of the original LP.

Anon: PHANTOM THIEVES FTW!!!

Daytime

Music: Alright

Let’s just eat.

That may be a good idea. It’ll be a great way to strengthen our intrasquad friendships.

Uh, Yusuke, that’s a bit…
Neeeeeeerd!
Yeah, that.
Why I never…!
Anyway, I-I can handle that… I think!
Gotcha. I'll take a Double Triple Bossy Deluxe, on a raft, four-by-four animal-style, extra shingles with a shimmy and a squeeze, light axle grease, make it cry, burn it, and let it swim.
Sounds good. I’ll have the same.
You can’t even pay for it!

No, but this is for Futaba’s sake.
…Fine. You owe me, got it.
I want the same. Extra large.

Someone’s daring.

Ahhhhhh, I ate loads!
drat, Futaba! I’m impressed!
Indeed, your appetite is quite nice to see. I much prefer that to women who don’t eat a lot.

Are you hitting on me?
Yes, Yusuke, are you? Because while we’ve only known Futaba for about five days, if anything happened to her I would kill Ryuji.
What!?
Er… my apologies. I did not intend to imply…
Oh, so now I’m not good enough to hit on? Is that it?

(facetiously) Sojirooo, help meee!
Will you stop that!?

Well, seems like her training is goin’ fine then…

Hey, let me make you guys some after-meal coffee. It’s on me.
Thank you.
I want iced cocoa!
(to Ryuji) You can’t handle bitter stuff either, right? Iced cocoa sound good?
Yeah, definitely! Extra cold, please!
Hm, I don’t think we’ve ever had a lunch this lively.
Mm-hm! It’s lots of fun!

Daytime → Evening

Music: Beneath the Mask -Rain-

Does it look like she can go soon?
Well, she HAS started to talk a lot more.
She’s made great progress compared to how she was at the beginning.

Almost like this entire quest for socialization was created entirely to fill time!

Thoughts, Futaba? Will you be able to do this tomorrow perhaps?
Tomorrow!? That’s too soon. I wanna prepare myself.

>You don’t have to force yourself. The beach isn’t that great.
That’s the opposite of what you should be saying! We’re trying to get her to go outside!

I should be good if it’s the day after tomorrow. I think?
We’ll go the day after tomorrow then!
Just let us know if you aren’t up for it, Futaba. OK?
It’s all right. I can do this.
Looks like we know when we’ll actually finish up now. The beach is finally within reach.

People continue to praise the Phantom Thieves, who are thought to have prevented the attack. The Phantom Thieves’ popularity, which began online, is expanding beyond the internet. Phantom thieves have become a social phenomenon, with everyone around town talking about them.
Everyone’s really talking about us! It’s like we hit the big time!

The weather’s bad today, but… It’s easier to focus on studying when you’re stuck inside, anyway.

We’re going to keep studying to take advantage of the rain and having read the Factorization Guide.

Maaku gains Knowledge +3, plus an extra Knowledge +1 from the rain.

Anon: justice was w/ the thieves.

Early Morning

Is Futaba here, too? That means we’re not only helping out at the café, but we’re also babysitting Futaba today too… Well, the faster we get started, the faster we’ll finish!

Early Morning → Daytime

Orange juice. 100% natural.
That reminds me, you’re going to the beach tomorrow, yeah? Go have fun, and make up for the fireworks. Just try not to cut loose too much.

How did this remind you of that?
Shut up, you.

Fireworks?

He and his friends tried to go to a firework festival, but it got rained out.

Not only did he get crushed in the crowd, but he came home looking like some kinda drowned rat.

Oh, you’re smiling, I see. So my suffering amuses you, does it? Well that’s fine. Soon you shall be the one in pain, old man, and we’ll see who’s laughing the—*bangs finger on countertop while gesturing* Ouchies!
Hah!

Fireworks, huh…

Oh christ, he followed you home, Maaku. This is terrifying, yet oddly flattering.

Wait, did you not know I lived here? Then you’re just here for the coffee? That’s a bit awkward.

Music: Wicked Plan

Huh? You know each other? Wait, aren’t you…
I’m Akechi.
Oh yeah, the one on TV and stuff. So what brings you here, Mr. Detective?

You’ve got quite the place here. Lovely atmosphere. I’ll have to thank Sae-san for the glowing recommendation.

I already told her everything. What else do you want from me? A kidney? Leave us alone.
Oh, don’t worry about any of that. I just came for the coffee, really.
So, she told you what she did last time she was here, and still she told you to come here. That’s definitely Sae for you, though I’m hard-pressed to figure out which of the two of us she must hate more.
Er… right… And who’s this?

Oh, you must be Wakaba Isshiki’s…
What’ll it be?
I’ll have whatever you recommend.

I *recommend* that you get the gently caress out, but it sounds like you want the house blend, so I’ll make you one of those.

That seems to have less to do with you and more to do with your invocation of the lady who blackmailed him with revocation of custody. Classic faux pas, there.

…… Did I bother you? My apologies.

Huh? Not really.

Music: Confession/Secret

Apparently, my mother was in a relationship with some low-life of a man…

I’m sorry?

She was swiftly discarded when he learned she was pregnant… That despair would lead to her death.

What are you talking about, my dude? I did not ask.

Thanks to him, I was passed from foster home to foster home. But, I do quite well by myself these days.

Oh well… ha… It’s not like society rewards bastards like that…
……
Hey, can you, like, chill? You’re upsetting the gamer.
Oh right, you’re a fan of the Phantom Thieves, weren’t you, Hamiru? I wonder how they managed to deal with Medjed…
……
Yes… I *wonder* how. What a *mystery.*

There’s so many fans of the Phantom Thieves these days… Do you like them? Enough to, say, destabilize a decentralized hacker collective? Just hypothetically, of course.

It’s not quite this blatant that Akechi knows Futaba hacked Medjed in the actual script, but man, it is super obvious in hindsight, reviewing the real dialogue here.

……
What’s the matter?
…You’re popular too, Ace Detective Akechi.
*chuckle* Thank you. Although I’d rather not be compared to people like the Phantom Thieves, if at all possible.

Mm, this is delicious. You get to drink this coffee every day? I’m incredibly jealous.

Trust me, it gets old *real* fast.

I would never have thought you’d be boarding at this café… We seem to share some kind of bond.

The best part of this utterly bizarre scene is that due to Akechi’s revamped Confidant in Royal, him unloading his trauma on us does not make us any closer. No Confidant rank for you.

Uh, sure, whatever you say.

*chuckle* Thank you. I believe that fate brings people together. It’s strange, but talking to you is thought-provoking. Well… I think I found my go-to café.

Psst! Can’t we kill him?
Uh… Hm… Well… …No. Sorry.

Anon: so proud of them
Anon: PHANTOM THIEVES FTW!!!
Anon: won’t help me, so gently caress em
Anon: hey steal my heart too!!
Anon: AGAIN, YAAAAAAS!

I always change the channel when I see him.
All he ever does is nitpick.
There’s no way the Phantom Thieves are the bad guys!
He’s so desperate. It’s kinda lame.

Daytime → Evening

Music: Alright (Elp Version)

Can we? I bought some.
You went by yourself?
Mm-hm. I ran into Mona on the way way though. I’ll go get Sojiro!

I was worried, so I decided to follow her. She was able to buy everything on her own though.

I’m a little concerned about where she got the money, though…

If she can do that, she should be good to go. Plus she did a great job dodging that ace detective.

Hold on, Futaba. I haven’t even put out my cigarette yet…

*cough* *wheeze* C’mon, don’t get the smoke on me!

Wooooo! Look at me! I am the master of flame!

Will you listen to—*cough*

Futaba, the cat doesn’t like the smoke.

(whispering for some reason) Daaaaang! I made a huge one! Sojiro, look! Look!
R-Right. Just be careful, okay? Memories of summer, huh…

I’m gonna light up six at once and put them between my fingers like Wolverine!

N-Nooo! *cough* *wheeze*

To be fair, that’s a better theory than I ever came up with.

I’ve been anticipating this for so long!

>Ann, we planned this less than a week ago.

We’ll be entrusting care of Futaba to you, Maaku.
>I’m worried.
Don’t worry, I’ll be there to keep you safe.
I only ask that you try not to get separated from each other in the crowd, OK?
No worries. I’ve already made preparations for when that happens.
That don’t make me feel better…

Are the preparations “cry”?

Make sure your keep an eye on here. It’s tough enough going solo, let alone watching over someone else.
Still, going to enjoy the beach… We can finally have a good time!

Well at least she seemed like she was having fun… But still… Guh…

Shockingly, those points of Knowledge from studying were not enough to push us into the final threshold where we’re almost ready to rank up. Odd.

Air pressure continues to be high and it’s expected that today’s sunniness will continue tomorrow.
Looks like we don’t have to worry about the weather! I can’t wait for tomorrow!

Aojiru!!!!!! Maaku gains Guts +1.

The cocktail this Sunday will let a party member learn Masukunda. We opt not to go for it.

Music: Layer Cake

I barely use a PC ‘cause I’d be in trouble if it got hacked. So, whaddya want today?

Let’s see Iwai tonight.

This time, I’m going to have you gather some info. You’ll be on your own though. I gotta take care of some other business.

The guy you’re lookin’ for is homeless, but he knows what’s up. He’ll be somewhere in Shibuya.

Sounds easy. How many homeless people could there possibly be in Shibuya? Three?

Get info on the “rumor about the underground deal,” and don’t act all suspicious. I gotta take care of some other business, so I’m countin’ on ya, kid.

Hanged Man Rank 4: Part 97

Y’know you can find anything you need on the internet, right?

Music: Suspicion

Or are you maybe lookin’ for something a little more? I can see it in your eyes. …Who sent you here?

(automatically) Iwai. Uh, poo poo, I mean…
Well, that was easy. You sure you’re cut out for this, kid? Anyway, I’ll give you the information you’re looking for just this once. It’s dangerous territory you’re entering. Watch out.

All right, just act like I’m mumblin’ to myself, you got it? No promises I’m gonna say anything useful, either.

Oh, eavesdropping! I’m good at that!

Apparently something big went down with a huge Asian investor. Deal was worth about… 100 million yen. Though you’d figure something that massive woulda got more people talkin’ about it… Maybe they leased some kinda high-end club to keep it as private as possible…? I didn’t hear a thing about that though.

(from the back) It’s nice to hear that comin’ from you, Tsuda-san.

Music: Desire

(Tsuda’s Voice) I bet you could start a war with realistic models like these. Seriously, these are incredible. I should get going now though.

Welcome.
(Tsuda) All right, Iwai, I’ll take one of everything you showed me today. I’ll need an entire arsenal. How long would that take?

Uh, it depends. Some stuff will have to go through customs, and that’s outta my control… But, uh, you sure about discussing this in front of the ivilian-cay?
Oh, that’s fine. I’ll just kill his family later or something. Less fine is the schedule. Mune, your son’s name was Kaoru, was it?

…That’s right.
Well then… if you don’t deliver on time, I might just have to let Kaoru-kun in on your little secret.
Tsuda-san, please…
I wonder, how will an adolescent boy like him react to finding out his father was in the yakuza…? I guess if things go sour, we could always try to sell him again...

Wait, *again*?
Shut up, kid, or I’ll kill your family twice.

Fine… I’ll put a rush on your order. Happy now?
Very much so. Well then, I look forward to hearing from you again… soon.

Music: Suspicion

…Goddammit!

Soooooo… what was that about?

Don’t worry about it.

Sorry you had to see that. That threat against your family is probably an empty one, by the way. He says that poo poo all the time.
Eh, my family situation is extremely complex and I invite him to try and unravel it. Wait, does that mean he’s not actually gonna blackmail you?
No, he definitely meant that part.

Anyways, how’d it go today? You learn about anything good?

Yep! I found that crusty hobo you mentioned after only three hours of searching! He told me about a 100 million yen deal!

Huh. So someone made a big deal with the Hong Kong mafia worth 100 million yen… And it happened some time ‘round New Year’s… …Wouldn’t surprise me if Tsuda had somethin’ to do with it. I hear he’s been braggin’ all over about a big score he made right near the start of the year. I’ve gotta do some more research into it myself…

Anyways, nice work, kid. This info will help me give Tsuda a real scare later!
Halloween’s not for two months, though. You really prep way in advance here in Tokyo, huh?

Man, I can’t wait to see the look on Tsuda’s face. It’s been ages since I’ve felt this excited. And it’s all ‘cause of you, kid. Turns out you’re pretty useful.
It feels like my bond with Iwai is growing even deeper…

Well, I’m gonna head home early and spend some good ol’ quality time with Kaoru to celebrate. drat fine job again, kid. Get on outta here.
I feel like helping Iwai with his work has honed my Proficiency

Maaku gains Proficiency +2.

I’ll see ya next time.

You definitely got me some good intel. Honestly, I appreciate that…

Thanks to that poo poo today, Tsuda knows we’re connected, at least. Which means that stunt we pulled with Masa ain’t gonna work on him.

If one method isn’t gonna work, we just gotta find another.

When I need help, I’ll get in touch. Hope you’ll be ready.

Line changes!!!

On 8/27, Sojiro’s line “Hm, I don’t think we’ve ever had a lunch this exciting.” has been changed to “Hm, I don’t think we’ve ever had a lunch this lively.” I guess that’s very slightly better.

Arist fucked around with this message at 18:38 on May 12, 2024

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Arist posted:

Gotcha. I'll take a Double Triple Bossy Deluxe, on a raft, four-by-four animal-style, extra shingles with a shimmy and a squeeze, light axle grease, make it cry, burn it, and let it swim.

We serve food here sir.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Arist posted:

Well at least she seemed like she was having fun… But still… Guh…

There's an extra line from Morgana if you sit on the couch, where he speculates that Futaba got the fireworks because she felt bad after hearing about the summer festival, and wanted to do something nice for Joker as thanks for everything.

It's a very sweet touch.

Gantolandon
Aug 19, 2012

This trauma dumping scene was when I started to really dislike Akechi in my first playthrough. It felt manipulative and slimy.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

It was actually worse in vanilla because this was a rank up event.

A rank-up event that you didn't ask for and felt forced on you.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

It was incredibly on point for Pancakes though.

SoundwaveAU
Apr 17, 2018

I love that the universal reaction to it is "...What??? The gently caress did this come from?"

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Who wants to talk about MOTHERS?! :peanut:

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Omobono posted:

It was incredibly on point for Pancakes though.

Whoa, don't drag me into this.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Not gonna lie, even though the trauma dump is hella weird and I'm 50/50 on whether it's an awkwardly shoehorned scene that just had to be somewhere or Akechi awkwardly trying to confirm for himself that Futaba is the latest Phantom Thief, I straight up felt bad when he reacts to Joker implying that he's not welcome at LeBlanc.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
if Akechi was innocent (which he's not) he would be a very oblivious goober or Sae would have had the biggest embellishments about her side of the story.

"Oh hey Akechi, I went down to Leblanc and threatened to take this guy's adoptive daughter away from him if he didn't cooperate. But man, their coffee is amazing. Make sure to drop my name, that'll really endear you to them." :)

"Okay Sae-san, I'll do just that, I'll finally have a place where people will be happy to see me. Maybe I'll further increase my relatability by giving them my traumatic backstory." :)

Gantolandon
Aug 19, 2012

SoundwaveAU posted:

I love that the universal reaction to it is "...What??? The gently caress did this come from?"

It’s completely out of the left field, to the point where it doesn’t even seem like a ham-fisted attempt to make you feel bad about Akechi. It’s just to make you more willing to cooperate with him because being mean to someone who just opened up to you would make you look like an rear end in a top hat.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.
Wait, was I supposed to view that as genuine? I thought it was just him being blatantly manipulative... and sucking at it because he cannot people right. With everyone rightly responding with 'Uh huh. Yeah bud, real tragic.' and the sarcasm soaring over his head.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I mean, it's hard to say specifically what is going on, since Akechi is simultaneously investigating the Phantom Thieves, scheming to earn their trust so he can undermine them, and experiencing some kind of genuine human connection for the first time in his life. He definitely doesn't need to trauma dump to figure out why Futaba is there, and it's also clearly not earning him any points for the second thing, so I figure by elimination that it must be the third one. Not so much because I don't think he'd try to manipulate you and just sucks at it, but because of this line:

Arist posted:

…… Did I bother you? My apologies.

It's been months since I've played through this and I still remember the hurt that comes through in this line read, and I think there's also a cut-in with an audible gasp. Being rejected by Joker is the one time we see the Pleasant Boy come off as vulnerable, and I don't read it as fake because he doesn't do that anywhere else.

Flair
Apr 5, 2016
I believe Akechi is being both manipulative and genuine when he monologues about his backstory. First, he wants you to feel sorry for him (and maybe even trust him if you have not played this game before), and he probably wants the closest person he has to know more about him since he has probably never been able to talk about his childhood to anyone before, even if it is unprompted and only for a brief, shallow moment.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

Akechi is a great villain because he's simultaneously very needy and sociopathic. He could be genuinely looking for validation from the only person who might actually understand him; he could be trying to get under the protagonist's skin. It might be a little of both and it's plausible he's not sure either.

Prowler
May 24, 2004

kw0134 posted:

Akechi is a great villain because he's simultaneously very needy and sociopathic. He could be genuinely looking for validation from the only person who might actually understand him; he could be trying to get under the protagonist's skin. It might be a little of both and it's plausible he's not sure either.

I think it's important to note that he's being manipulated by someone who is very much is a sociopath with narcissistic tendencies, so it might be difficult to determine where Akechi ends and Shido begins. It's a very "he would be my friend were he not my enemy" situation for Akechi, I think, though he's very much decided on the latter categorization for obvious reasons.

In Persona 5 alone, are there any decent fathers or father figures? Every single one is either hilariously evil or incompetent. Or absent, in the case of Joker.

Edit: Akechi kind of falls into the "I have now declared you my rival because I don't know how to communicate with humans normally" high schooler trope, but to an extreme.

Prowler fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Mar 27, 2023

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Prowler posted:

I think it's important to note that he's being manipulated by someone who is very much is a sociopath with narcissistic tendencies, so it might be difficult to determine where Akechi ends and Shido begins. It's a very "he would be my friend were he not my enemy" situation for Akechi, I think, though he's very much decided on the latter categorization for obvious reasons.

In Persona 5 alone, are there any decent fathers or father figures? Every single one is either hilariously evil or incompetent. Or absent, in the case of Joker.

Edit: Akechi kind of falls into the "I have now declared you my rival because I don't know how to communicate with humans normally" high schooler trope, but to an extreme.

Sojiro is at least a decent father/father figure. He is rough at the very start but it takes all of about a week for him to start easing up. Iwai is incompetent in a very human way and is at least trying to be an okay dad.

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

"Little by little the old world crumbled, and not once did the king imagine that some of the pieces might fall on him"

The who continually wears a mask and bribes some highschool kid to get whatever his child wants?

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Sojiro is a top tier dad, get outta here. The first couple of months is him trying and failing to put on a tough love façade because he's cared about and wanted to protect Joker since before he met the kid. Futaba's situation isn't great but I'm not sure what he could have done better.

I'd also rank Iwai as a fair bit above “ok.” Kaoru is a good egg who doesn’t even flinch at the Yakuza reveal; that kind of trust has to be built. Pa Niijima I think we're meant to read as having been a good dad, also. Kasumi's also mentioned her dad a couple times, and by her account he's kind and supportive and maybe a little too protective, which probably adds up to at least decent.

E: Yeah, Doting Father is more who I'd peg as well-meaning but incompetent.

Zulily Zoetrope fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Mar 27, 2023

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

Prowler posted:

Does Shido know that Akechi's his kid? Shido was manipulating Akechi who liked to think he was manipulating Shido in turn, and there's a lot of unnecessarily complex plotting going on between the two that only confuses things or makes all the various motivations that much murkier. In the event both were planning to stab the other in the back and it's hard to tell how much of what is Akechi being influenced by Shido and how much it is simply the apple not falling far from the tree.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

He figures it out eventually, though it's possible it's only subconsciously, because Cognitive Akechi in Shido's Palace knows.

e: Or maybe I'm confusing it with a different scene during the Shadow confrontation where Shido's Shadow says he knew Akechi was his son. Doesn't really change anything, though.

Arist fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Mar 27, 2023

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Shadow Shido suspected that it was "something like that," but he never investigated because he didn't actually care what motivated Akechi. Cognitive Akechi mostly suggests that Original Akechi was easily manipulated because he was desperate for validation and in denial about it; I forget if the dad angle ever comes up, but if it did, I assumed it was because he overheard the conversation where Akechi tells the Phantom Thieves about it.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Sojiro is a top tier dad, get outta here. The first couple of months is him trying and failing to put on a tough love façade because he's cared about and wanted to protect Joker since before he met the kid. Futaba's situation isn't great but I'm not sure what he could have done better.

I mean I'd say he could've gotten her in therapy but frankly a lot of older dudes have hangups about that and Futaba (pre-heart-change) seems like the kind who he might've had to drag literally kicking and screaming from the house to get her there so I guess I'll throw him a bone.

But yeah Sojiro hates the cops or at least one cop in particular, so he's a cool dude.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Futaba also had a very low opinion of most adults after the Wakaba incident so yeah, not sure how much that would have helped either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
He does mention that she refused to see any doctors and locked herself away when he arranged a house call, but I forget if therapy ever comes up. Which, fair, should at least have been attempted. I guess I'm mostly thinking in the sense that he has very limited resources and that Futaba is the victim of a nefarious government conspiracy. "Just make her feel safe until she's ready to reach out on her own" is a far better call than I think any other Persona Adult has made in any context, and it turns out to have been right on the money.

Admittedly it might have turned out worse without the assistance of a gang of magic teenagers and the cartoon clown prosecutor who always makes the wrong decision, but I'm not gonna fault Sojiro for that.