Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Jerkface posted:

I just got this an emperors gift, I was like "oh sweet a tier 4 blessing to consume!" then I saw the stats distribution :eyepop:

This thing is a monster

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captainicus
Feb 22, 2013

Maybe a dumb question, but do you actually lose the crit bonus when your stamina runs out with deadshot?

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Captainicus posted:

Maybe a dumb question, but do you actually lose the crit bonus when your stamina runs out with deadshot?

Yes it was an instant turn off for me once that was confirmed 😩

The fact it consumes stamina percentagely instead of flat means you cant even spec for it with +stamina curios!

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog
Basically you have to be managing your stamina 24/7, and with how often players love to hold the sprint key down, you'll be in the back of the group at all times.

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

Jerkface posted:

Yes it was an instant turn off for me once that was confirmed 😩

The fact it consumes stamina percentagely instead of flat means you cant even spec for it with +stamina curios!

It should take a flat amount - and not tick down for being in ADS.
But that's not the FATSHARK way

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
What do the different stat categories mean anyway. A lot of em I can intuit, like "damage" is pretty clear and "warp resistance" on a staff or "cleave targets" on an axe I can figure, but other categories are like what does that even mean. "Finesse, "Mobility," several others (???)

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

If you inspect the weapon, you can mouse over each stat and it tells you exactly what it does. You can also see each attack and how much damage it does to all the armor types, weak point hits and crits.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

SuperKlaus posted:

What do the different stat categories mean anyway. A lot of em I can intuit, like "damage" is pretty clear and "warp resistance" on a staff or "cleave targets" on an axe I can figure, but other categories are like what does that even mean. "Finesse, "Mobility," several others (???)

If you hit v while you are in the weapon selection screen of your inventory, you get a stat breakdown when you hover over the stat. It's actually pretty detailed and pretty explanatory.

Magitek
Feb 20, 2008

That's not jolly.
That's not jolly at all!

Legit Businessman posted:

If you hit v while you are in the weapon selection screen of your inventory, you get a stat breakdown when you hover over the stat. It's actually pretty detailed and pretty explanatory.

It’s very important to check out each of these stats, as the same name can vary in effect across different weapons. “Stopping Power” on one gun might only impact Stagger, while on another it might also increase damage against Flak by as much as 50%.

Jerkface posted:

I don't think this is true though. What do you mean tanking incoming gunfire? You have no way to force the enemy to shoot you. You just mean standing in the open and hoping to get shot at? The only way you actually use UF effectively is to advance far beyond your team to draw all the shooter aggro. Or have everyone else hide/fight somewhere else while you are the only visible target of shooters.

I think you need to spend a few rounds without Camo Expert selected. You have actually forgotten what it’s like to get shot at alongside teammates in this game.

Is “Camo Brain” a term yet? Let’s coin it now, together.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

The real pro vet strat is (1) take camo expert, (2) always be running way the gently caress ahead of your team, (3) engage solo and spam strafe-dodges to mitigate ~90% of the enemy alpha, (4) stand still out of enemy LoS (behind cover or around a corner) so the enemies start disengaging to move up to you, at which point they ignore you and run toward your teammates, (5) mow them all down and finish the encounter before your team catches up

Camo Expert is only bad for your team if you are not ahead of your team, and if you are not ahead of your team then why not, and the only acceptable answer is "Somehow they're always faster than me!" AKA the best teams :colbert:

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 08:10 on Mar 18, 2023

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

Nice try, Kerillian

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

big cummers ONLY posted:

Nice try, Kerillian

And I would have gotten away with it too if it weren't for you meddling mayflies!

EDIT: God loving drat a hard carry map feels good.

Spawned into the Hourglass, three people down, got them all back up. Go around the corner, two people straight up died to random shooters, third shortly thereafter, and I had to go through two rooms fending off dogs and trappers, got the whole team back up. Two more die again against a Beast, third goes down trying to untie the first two, I got everybody back up again. Got the finale, I think they all died once each, thankfully one at a time, and I got them all as soon as they respawned. Got to the exit hallway, all three of them wiped trying to sprint past a hoard, I managed to kill most of the hoard, dodge two nets, and slide past a gunner to get to the elevator.

Antax is no joke.

I think that mission had at least 9 deaths.

Mendrian fucked around with this message at 09:11 on Mar 18, 2023

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Magitek posted:

I think you need to spend a few rounds without Camo Expert selected. You have actually forgotten what it’s like to get shot at alongside teammates in this game.

Is “Camo Brain” a term yet? Let’s coin it now, together.

Nice try but i play every class so i know what it means to get my rear end shot at 😠 i also don't cry like a little eldary bitch when I'm playing a non vet class and a vet runs camo

i also somehow don't take 25% more damage 🤔

Jerkface fucked around with this message at 08:41 on Mar 18, 2023

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

Been running haz 4 with my friend regularly now and goddamn after playing bolter vet for multiple missions the hellbore mk1 was such a breath of fresh air though you REALLY need camo. I actually went down a few times because i was too focused on killing every ranged enemy and got hit from behind. My team was so impressed with a vet who was actually doing his job haha, even showed off by dodge dancing around melee and killing a scab patrol by myself. Leveling up my priest now and i'm just constantly amazed at how bad other priests are in comparison. I'm just constantly being a back line sweeper and ensuring that nothing gets within melee range of my teammates but due to them being ranged we all push up as a coherent team rather than priest rushing off alone to die.

Just need to get the VT2 team back together and we'll be doing haz4 with ease.

Has fatshark mentioned wtf flash missions are yet? I'm beginning to approach end game on all my penances and i see 3 that i simply will not be able to get due to needing flash missions.

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
Are there expected trust levels for the difficulties? Is that listed somewhere?

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe

Tagichatn posted:

If you inspect the weapon, you can mouse over each stat and it tells you exactly what it does. You can also see each attack and how much damage it does to all the armor types, weak point hits and crits.

Legit Businessman posted:

Magitek posted:

It’s very important to check out each of these stats, as the same name can vary in effect across different weapons. “Stopping Power” on one gun might only impact Stagger, while on another it might also increase damage against Flak by as much as 50%.

Ahhhhh excellent thank you all for your help

40 Proof Listerine
Jul 1, 2007

Baroness Kanan-Zelaya of the minor House of Carbon

ZeusCannon posted:

There's minimum trust levels for the difficulties it will tell you if you try to queue for them

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

ZeusCannon posted:

You can do diff 1 to 3 as a new player depending on your skill level and comfort.

You should wait till at least level 5 before doing 4+ but the difficulty jump from 3 to 4 is huge and 5 is the most punishing so generally people playing for the first time wait to level 20-30 to do those.

For a lot of players Malice (3) will be the hardest they end up trying as it has a nice balance of challenge for players of low to mid skill without being too punishing. Heresy (4) and Damnation (5) will punish you for gameplay you can easily get away with on 3.

Lower level gear is not really any less powerful than high level gear but due to having less stats to distribute you will be at the lower end of the stat variation (though for some stats this doesn't mean much)

If youre new go ahead and jump to 3 once you feel comfortable and either stay there till 30 or move up to 4 once you start feeling like 3 is unloseable.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

They buff dog leap or what?

https://i.imgur.com/O25VyZC.mp4

BONK

https://i.imgur.com/39RmYUt.mp4

This one was good as my guy was like SNIIIIIIPER!!! but I just flick autoed him instant, not today you fucker!

https://i.imgur.com/iBChSSd.mp4

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Jerkface posted:

The reason I say UF is a trap is because the vet is not a tank,

You are oh so very wrong about that. That + Counterfire MAKE you a tank. You can wade into a room with 40 gunners and come out at full health with everything dead and if you played your cards right, just spring into another area and start the chaos again ;)

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

The DR allows you to tank damage but again theres nothing that specifically allows you to draw aggro, so like you said your 1 option is to rush into the room ahead of your team and basically ask everyone to shoot you. On damnation running ahead of your team to trigger enemies and draw aggro is gonna end up with you pulling 3 bulwarks 2 crushers 5 ragers and an entire horde in addition to the gunners and riflemen. And you better hope its smooth sailing because the second you gently caress up and drop ult you lose the UF.

I think of a tank as someone with the abilities to draw aggro and ways to deal with all the different enemy threats and less conditional damage mititgation. UF only applies to your ranged attacking so it's only applicable in the situation where youre unopposed vs shooters.

Ill die on this hill 😡

Valtonen
May 13, 2014

Tanks still suck but you don't gotta hand it to the Axis either.
Just got my psyker to lvl 30. Jebus take the wheel the step between 29-30 on psyker is like between joe shucks and Darth Sidious.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Both Psyker and Veteran have absolutely insane power jumps between 29 and 30, brain burst becomes extremely effective with the increased speed and cost reduction ult.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Jerkface posted:

The DR allows you to tank damage but again theres nothing that specifically allows you to draw aggro, so like you said your 1 option is to rush into the room ahead of your team and basically ask everyone to shoot you. On damnation running ahead of your team to trigger enemies and draw aggro is gonna end up with you pulling 3 bulwarks 2 crushers 5 ragers and an entire horde in addition to the gunners and riflemen. And you better hope its smooth sailing because the second you gently caress up and drop ult you lose the UF.

I think of a tank as someone with the abilities to draw aggro and ways to deal with all the different enemy threats and less conditional damage mititgation. UF only applies to your ranged attacking so it's only applicable in the situation where youre unopposed vs shooters.

Ill die on this hill 😡

You wouldn't if you had unwavering focus and counter fire up. :v:

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
Does this knife seem worth investing some upgrades into?

Magitek
Feb 20, 2008

That's not jolly.
That's not jolly at all!

Improbable Lobster posted:

Does this knife seem worth investing some upgrades into?

Nope, the weapon's moveset is bad and those Perks/Blessings are unimpressive. The best overall melee weapon for Ogryn is a Bull Butcher mk3 Cleaver with Confident Strike and Slaughterer. For Perks you probably want Flak and Infested, although those have a bit more leeway. Left click spam can clear hordes almost as quickly as a Flamer and your toughness will be locked at 100% even while under fire from shooters.

Valtonen
May 13, 2014

Yea krourk moveset is just bad, which is a shame. BBIII FTW

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Jerkface posted:

Ill die on this hill 😡

Then you die I guess. ;) I constantly do this exact thing all the time in Damnation. It's like the "vet thing" to do. Clear out the ranged/ragers/etc so the rest of the team can focus on the other stuff without getting poked full of holes. Uptime is pretty much never a problem. 90% of the time I can pop the ult again immediately after it expires.

If you're the first one in the room/shoot something, you draw aggro that's how it works and as a vet with your ult and UF you're literally the best at doing that.

Anyway, play the game however you want, but this is what peak Vet tanking looks like ;)

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
I keep seeing teams wipe on damnation in the exact same ways, usually right at the very end.

• Moving a bit too far ahead into a new room and bringing down 50 gunners and 5 ogyns on top of themselves and then the team who are now down a person.

• Someone splits off far from the group who has no ability to survive on their own and just dies to the first disabler to go looking for them and just in general splitting up when you hear disablers spawn when you aren't 100% confident in dealing with them alone.

• Someone gets disabled near the group, but nobody actually reacts and stands still left clicking zombies, especially annoying if they are disabled by a net that takes half a second to free, I've had games where I instantly free everyone who gets disabled but the moment I end up netted by 2-3 trappers stacked on top of eachother I go from full hp to dead.

• Nobody goes for the objective and just thinks someone else will do it as they stand still fighting a infinite horde and the occasional special.

• And just in general rooting their feet in place while fighting a horde if you aren't holding a great chokepoint, it isn't that hard to shove and back dodge towards a new area or the objective while 20 poxwalkers follow you.

mexi
Mar 17, 2003

Time to call it a night.
Been spending too much time trying to get a shredder pistol with blaze away. Also not having the best of luck with pubs heresey or damnation, still people just sprinting everywhere and getting split up.

At the start of one map where you use the auspex one guy sprinted ahead of everyone and started the search before we could all get there, did not go well

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
When things go to poo poo that fast I find it best to just camp at the local friendly respawn area for their corpse to get back over there good as new.

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

I keep seeing teams wipe on damnation in the exact same ways, usually right at the very end.

• Moving a bit too far ahead into a new room and bringing down 50 gunners and 5 ogyns on top of themselves and then the team who are now down a person.

• Someone splits off far from the group who has no ability to survive on their own and just dies to the first disabler to go looking for them and just in general splitting up when you hear disablers spawn when you aren't 100% confident in dealing with them alone.

• Someone gets disabled near the group, but nobody actually reacts and stands still left clicking zombies, especially annoying if they are disabled by a net that takes half a second to free, I've had games where I instantly free everyone who gets disabled but the moment I end up netted by 2-3 trappers stacked on top of eachother I go from full hp to dead.

• Nobody goes for the objective and just thinks someone else will do it as they stand still fighting a infinite horde and the occasional special.

• And just in general rooting their feet in place while fighting a horde if you aren't holding a great chokepoint, it isn't that hard to shove and back dodge towards a new area or the objective while 20 poxwalkers follow you.

my experience is same as in Vermintide, just a general disregard for teamplay and no environmental awareness (sometimes I think people didn't even up their FOV to max, so narrow is their focus). Darktide makes the strength/weakness of the different classes more obscure to the average player as well. Almost no one cares about objectives properly. The faster objective done, the earlier a bad situation is over but people rather try to kill an infinte horde :shrug: No one tags anything either, thats even worse as in Vermintide.

people are also too slow, the game needs a constant hard push forward, same as Vermintide. Aggressive play is much more rewarded as lingering around, and that goes double for times when group HP is a bit low becaus health stations are so plenty in all maps it never makes sense not be *more* forward pushing in those moments.

Though by now I can almost tell from the first encounter on how well the synergy is and just leave if its a predictable wipe.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

haldolium posted:

my experience is same as in Vermintide, just a general disregard for teamplay and no environmental awareness (sometimes I think people didn't even up their FOV to max, so narrow is their focus). Darktide makes the strength/weakness of the different classes more obscure to the average player as well. Almost no one cares about objectives properly. The faster objective done, the earlier a bad situation is over but people rather try to kill an infinte horde :shrug: No one tags anything either, thats even worse as in Vermintide.

people are also too slow, the game needs a constant hard push forward, same as Vermintide. Aggressive play is much more rewarded as lingering around, and that goes double for times when group HP is a bit low becaus health stations are so plenty in all maps it never makes sense not be *more* forward pushing in those moments.

Though by now I can almost tell from the first encounter on how well the synergy is and just leave if its a predictable wipe.

This is my experience as well and I think the frustrations people ITT are feeling are a little unfair. There are certainly a number of jackholes playing the game don't get me wrong but I think we're seeing another wave of growing pains as players move up to higher difficulties.

I've played games with groups that move too fast, but I've also played games with groups that are too timid. One in particular comes to mind - it was two psykers and a vet who would move into a room, but then hug the back wall until they felt like they had cleared every single special and shooter in the room. I was playing a zealot and eating all of the attacks from everybody was a non-starter, which forced me to stand back until the enemies were close enough to where I could dash forward and engage without eating an entire room worth of fire. As you can probably predict, this dragged out the game super long and eventually we wiped just to attrition. This was probably the worst example but I can think of versions of this from particular players over the many hours that had similar philosophies.

Also "stop fighting the hoard!" sounds like good advice but it's a bit advanced, to be honest; there are times where if you stop swinging, blocking, and dashing for even a second they start to get hits in, and if you're trying to get a partner up or work an objective that can be quite difficult. Coming from lower difficulties where you can clear a group 'first' and then take an action, and then you get to Heresy or Damnation where there is a constant stream of poxwalkers that never really 'finishes', and you start to have to spend your toughness strategically to get anything accomplished - that can be a bit of a mindset switch for a lot of players coming from Malice.

Not saying y'all are wrong but I think that you're talking about the endgame fine details of skill. "Don't dash off like a bozo and die" is good advice, but this isn't Vermintide; within a single room for instance, it's very normal for the group to split up a bit to engage shooters from different angles or to flank specials behind hoards. I've seen groups that are too religious about sticking together. This game requires a balance between caution and bravado which is pretty difficult to teach.

Valtonen
May 13, 2014

I feel heresy is the Pain Point - Its hard enough where random clicking wont save a team anymore and pubbers assume its ”easier” than damnation leading to teams of four where everyone joined hoping the rest of the team knows their poo poo and carries.

Low-intensity Damnation is the perfect test-the-deep-end. Almost everyone is fully kitted and knows their stuff and are there to get the abundant materials, meaning 75-80% of the time your tier-4-maybe-ready (like me) pubbers can join and contribute even without being pro and not be the breaking point.

Also it teaches WAY better habits than playing eternal malice just by seeing the keep-pushing-forward rhythm.

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

Yeah wtf is up with no one tagging? Last few days of heresy and malice i was the only one tagging. My friend was playing pysker and because i kept tagging snipers and bombers he commented on how easy it was to burst them and i was like no poo poo thats why it's in the game. We had 2 snipers pinning down the team and i was leveling up my priest with a flame thrower so i just focused on keeping the ranged players free to deal with them but not a single loving one did. I literally had to run into the open dodging 2 snipers to tag them hoping that my ranged teammates would do something but nope. I ended up just chain sliding through gunners and shooters to kill the snipers in melee it was so frustrating.

I know the spawn manager will tailor specials to your group comp but at the same time getting stuck with 3 of the same class that isn't vet or ogyrn will really gently caress you over. They really should have some sort of class lock system like DRG has where you can say hey if you're joining mid game i don't want duplicates.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Pro-tip: If you want to get the "kill a monstrosity in less than 5 seconds" penance, squish them with a door. And make sure your teammates aren't morons who don't listen to pings :(

https://i.imgur.com/uQyo0zu.mp4

Bonus Mutie Go Down 2

https://i.imgur.com/TIrN83C.mp4

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

Finally got a thunderhammer and besides the weird pause after the charged attack its just a 2h hammer from VT2, did just fine with it but i def feel some of the wonkiness is from it having a hard time passing through hitmass. It's funny how the priest weapon selection is so thoroughly put in the dumpster between the eviserator and thunderhammer though--never gonna use any other weapon.

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

It's a man's game, but boys will play

When you get to the highest levels and get the right blessings, the caravan swords and heavy sword are extremely good

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Arghy posted:

Finally got a thunderhammer and besides the weird pause after the charged attack its just a 2h hammer from VT2, did just fine with it but i def feel some of the wonkiness is from it having a hard time passing through hitmass. It's funny how the priest weapon selection is so thoroughly put in the dumpster between the eviserator and thunderhammer though--never gonna use any other weapon.

TH is great. If you aren't familiar with it, the way you cancel the backswing from a charged hit is by pressing the keybind bound to pulling out your melee weapon. Makes TH feel much better to use and enables you to kill bulwarks solo. Love me some Thunder Hammer bops on monsters too. Get deleted. :getin:

Evi honestly feels kinda of bad on 5s, it just doesn't have the damage to mulch large hordes fast enough and doesn't have the single target to kill big things with revved attacks. I have a near perfect Evi and it just felt like a struggle to use it, even with all the tricks to use it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Jerkface posted:

Ill die on this hill 😡

Your definition of tank, while I can broadly agree with it for other games, just doesn't have to or need to apply in Darktide's case. Vet specifically is a *ranged* tank, or if you want to be more specific to Darktide a *shooter* tank. You absorb bullet/las fire for breakfast, lunch, and dinner with UF, and drawing aggro is as easy as being the first into a room and shooting at the shooters to attract attention.

Your argument for "but the mixed hordes!" is valid but also as Vet you have this handy thing called wall hacks and your brain (not always included) that lets you decide if you want to push further in and keep shooting to clear out more shooters/gunners or back up and have your team help with bulwarks/crushers etc. Either way you've drawn fire and helped your team push into an area and made the incoming ranged fire against much thinner one way or another.

You have some okay points about Camo and it's honestly a hard feat to quantify the use of, but saying UF is objectively bad or is the worst choice is just wrong lol.

Would you like a coffin or cremation?