Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

And just like that it's out of stock until June. Any idea what circuit is inside?

Welp.

No idea if it’s a clone of something or what. There’s not too much discussion of it online that I can find, and only two YouTube reviews. I don’t know amps well enough to identify it for sure. I kinda think it might be a mashup of a Fendery clean channel with a Marshall JCM 800-alike in the OD channel, but that’s completely pulled out of my rear end; I’m not an expert on amp models. I would like to do a tear down on it and see if I can figure it out though, I’ve got a background in electronics so if the circuit’s reasonably simple I might be able to trace the thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS
Dec 10, 2003

...blyat
I have the tiny 5w monoprice tube amp it's great for home jammin' I recommend their products

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

Gramps posted:

For those of you that don't follow the Stupid Music poo poo thread, I did something silly and thought you might enjoy it.

Ah gently caress. Now I gotta add the 15w 5150 head to my list of tiny-awesome-amp-heads to collect.

Speaking of tiny heads/lunchbox amps, are there any of the big name ones that are just poo poo? Or are they all generally decent? Assuming they don’t all sound quite as good/same as their bigger equivalents.

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

Red_Fred posted:

Ah gently caress. Now I gotta add the 15w 5150 head to my list of tiny-awesome-amp-heads to collect.

Speaking of tiny heads/lunchbox amps, are there any of the big name ones that are just poo poo? Or are they all generally decent? Assuming they don’t all sound quite as good/same as their bigger equivalents.

I've really enjoyed every one I've played. I'm particularly fond of the Invective MH

I've been toying with the idea of collecting lunchbox amps... might have to resurrect that idea.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

Gramps posted:

I've really enjoyed every one I've played. I'm particularly fond of the Invective MH

I've been toying with the idea of collecting lunchbox amps... might have to resurrect that idea.

I do apologise! M/B mark V 25 is first on the list for me.

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

Red_Fred posted:

Does the Soldano SLO 30 count cause that's the one I'm really after. Maybe a THD Bivalve. Oh and a Friedman. And a Fortin Sigil. This is gonna get expensive quick

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Red_Fred posted:

Recommendation: save up another couple hundred bucks and get the 35. It’s more versatile with better controls and a better foot switch and can be set to a 10W or 25W power section if you need to drop the power output a bit.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

Kazinsal posted:

Recommendation: save up another couple hundred bucks and get the 35. It’s more versatile with better controls and a better foot switch and can be set to a 10W or 25W power section if you need to drop the power output a bit.

Hmm. How much bigger is it physically? Kinda love the cute size of the 25.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Red_Fred posted:

Hmm. How much bigger is it physically? Kinda love the cute size of the 25.

18 inches wide by 10 deep.

DOPE FIEND KILLA G
Jun 4, 2011

lps with 3 humbuckers instead of 2 should be illegal

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

DOPE FIEND KILLA G posted:

What about SGs?

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
SGs with figured tops should be illegal except for when they're obviously going for an LP thing, like a burst with a clip on pickguard or all black with gold hardware and 3 pickups.

The Leck
Feb 27, 2001

lps with 3 single coils are still cool, right?

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

It's got a belly cut. My first thought was kill it with fire but now I don't know.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

Ah drat, sorry you missed it - but you'll find another someday. Keep your eyes peeled, and now that you know to look you'll be ready to strike when the chance comes

That's true - I've seen the Valley Arts tag on a few Samicks. I've been looking at this fretless on and off:

https://reverb.com/au/item/64332672-custom-4-pro-valley-arts-custom-shop-fretless

largely from nostalgia because my first bass back in the '90's was a Samick PJ, but I quite like the cut around the neck joint and knowing what the Valley Arts thing is makes it more tempting.

e - went looking for the model I had and found this beauty:

I've only seen that reverse frost burst on a Danelectro I saw on Youtube. It should be on more guitars.

Elissimpark fucked around with this message at 13:41 on Mar 18, 2023

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

GAS is a thing - I mostly practice unplugged, and don't plan on ever gigging, but some part of my squirrel brain is like "you should get a Vox AC15 or maybe an AC30".

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Eh. Half the time I'm perfectly content just playing with the Mustang micro plugged in.
The other half of the time the amp is already warm so

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS
Dec 10, 2003

...blyat
I almost never plug in at home

No it's not because most of my electrics are in half assembled electronic state what do you mean

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I intend to eventually record my guitar fuckery at least for the sake of notating down song ideas, and given the price of guitar audio interfaces that plus glowing recommendations was enough to make me buy a Mkii 50.

If for nothing else than to learn exactly why amps matter.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Has anyone ever seen anyone make/sell Jazzmaster pickups with no visible pole pieces? Like a “stealth” Jazzmaster pickup?

I know you can buy covers without the holes but I assumed that was because some people like to drill their own when they make them.

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

Has anyone ever seen anyone make/sell Jazzmaster pickups with no visible pole pieces? Like a “stealth” Jazzmaster pickup?

I know you can buy covers without the holes but I assumed that was because some people like to drill their own when they make them.

If anybody offered them as stealth there would be no difference from buying undrilled plastic covers really. They might make the pole pieces flush with the top of the bobbin but that would change the sound more than just fitting covers. You'd lose a mm or two of height but should also be able to get them slightly closer to the strings to compensate.

The undrilled ones also make fitting a humbucker under there really easy, if that's your vibe.

Edit: had a think and the JBE rails might be closest I've seen as an option. They're designed to be flush with the covers.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

darkwasthenight posted:

If anybody offered them as stealth there would be no difference from buying undrilled plastic covers really. They might make the pole pieces flush with the top of the bobbin but that would change the sound more than just fitting covers. You'd lose a mm or two of height but should also be able to get them slightly closer to the strings to compensate.

The undrilled ones also make fitting a humbucker under there really easy, if that's your vibe.

Edit: had a think and the JBE rails might be closest I've seen as an option. They're designed to be flush with the covers.

I was thinking of doing them but wanted to see if anyone else made them yet before I do. I agree with you it's totally doable which is weird I haven't seen them before? I haven't seen a lot of stuff, though, so I thought I'd ask y'all.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

The Leck posted:

Is it bad that now I kind of want an HSS LP with a floating trem?

widefault
Mar 16, 2009

Kazinsal posted:

Is it bad that now I kind of want an HSS LP with a floating trem?

How about HS?

Hondo H727VHT. Hondo/Samick tried anything back in the 70s and 80s.

DOPE FIEND KILLA G
Jun 4, 2011

Red_Fred posted:

What about SGs?
SG can only have 3 buckers if it also has a vibrola tailpiece. i dont make the rules

DOPE FIEND KILLA G
Jun 4, 2011

The Leck posted:

hm. yeah i'm cool w/ this lol

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

widefault posted:

How about HS?

Hondo H727VHT. Hondo/Samick tried anything back in the 70s and 80s.

If this has a gut contour this is the guitar I was looking for before I gave up and crafted my Lestercaster.

Edit: I’m getting a bridge P90 when I have some scratch.

TheMightyBoops fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Mar 18, 2023

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

SG can only have 3 buckers if it also has a vibrola tailpiece. i dont make the rules

Cream 3HB SG Goon, post a picture of your guitar please. It’s the only SG I like.

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

vibrola tailpiece.

Ew.

widefault
Mar 16, 2009

TheMightyBoops posted:

If this has a gut contour this is the guitar I was looking for before I gave up and crafted my Lestercaster.

Edit: I’m getting a bridge P90 when I have some scratch.

It does.

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer
:siren: G&L B-stocks are back -- all sold out already except for some 1000+ american made guitars and a pink fallout tribute for 350. at 7.5 lbs, its light for a G&L but heavier than i would want.

The Leck posted:

dont like the color, but i see that it has a hard tail bridge and some ergonomic body countours. if its light enough, i would pick it up and play it

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

Traded away a couple of my guitars today for this. It's very light at 5lbs.

too pointy for me, but very attractive -- plus i always go for a multiscale. 5 lbs is outstanding

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

How comfy is a Rhode’s style v for sitting down and playing, they seem neat?

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

a.p. dent posted:

new song https://on.soundcloud.com/pmjrAmCh51Yv2kk56

class assignment for songwriting workshop with laura veirs

nice, im glad you are cranking out these songs again.

for some reason, i thought i heard a Bb -> B - C line cliche when resolving to the C chord after "I'll stay on silver street" but no, i invented my own guitar part in my head lol

Gramps posted:

For those of you that don't follow the Stupid Music poo poo thread, I did something silly and thought you might enjoy it.

wanting to hear some half time drum part with this one!

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005

TheMightyBoops posted:

How comfy is a Rhode’s style v for sitting down and playing, they seem neat?

Not too bad if you don't mind playing in classical with your legs squeezing the V, but a strat is still more comfy.

widefault
Mar 16, 2009

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

Not too bad if you don't mind playing in classical with your legs squeezing the V, but a strat is still more comfy.

Also, some of them put the output jack on the inside of the V, right where it would stick into your leg.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

that's whassup!!

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

LG this might be your guitar here. Bridge humbucker, Neck P90, offset, Pink, good hardtail bridge. Keep a look out for these for sure

https://g-l-online-store.myshopify.com/products/copy-of-b-stock-instruments-tribute-doheny-shell-pink-rw-3

Malaria
Oct 21, 2017

Get the surf green one LG.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Gramps posted:

LG this might be your guitar here. Bridge humbucker, Neck P90, offset, Pink, good hardtail bridge. Keep a look out for these for sure

https://g-l-online-store.myshopify.com/products/copy-of-b-stock-instruments-tribute-doheny-shell-pink-rw-3

God drat, if they shipped to Canada, I'd buy it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

B-stock is just free relic.