Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the most powerful flying bug?
This poll is closed.
🦋 15 3.71%
🦇 115 28.47%
🪰 12 2.97%
🐦 67 16.58%
dragonfly 94 23.27%
🦟 14 3.47%
🐝 87 21.53%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Danann posted:

https://twitter.com/PeImeniPusha/status/1636747690188107776

nafo infowar fanfiction is one hell of an alternate reality

LvivTyler is a great user name though, drat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

BrownPepper posted:

My understanding is that the Rhodesian conflict is where a lot of the "operator" cultural stuff first started to manifest. so you have green berets collecting ears in Vietnam and getting a reputation and a john wayne movie and everything. and then in the early 80s you have this idea of the Bush war, guys who don't wear the normal uniform and are doing "nontraditional" fighting, Soldier of Fortune magazine advertising that as a fantasy fulfillment experience. It seems like a pretty straight line from that to the current culture where you can buy tactical tier-1 operator coffee and kids aspire to be in Seal Team 6 like its an NFL team. I'd be really interested to check out any books or writing about how that special operator narrative was cultivated or really just anything about the rise of special forces fetishization into mainstream culture.

It's a lot more straightforward than that

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

BrownPepper posted:

My understanding is that the Rhodesian conflict is where a lot of the "operator" cultural stuff first started to manifest. so you have green berets collecting ears in Vietnam and getting a reputation and a john wayne movie and everything. and then in the early 80s you have this idea of the Bush war, guys who don't wear the normal uniform and are doing "nontraditional" fighting, Soldier of Fortune magazine advertising that as a fantasy fulfillment experience. It seems like a pretty straight line from that to the current culture where you can buy tactical tier-1 operator coffee and kids aspire to be in Seal Team 6 like its an NFL team. I'd be really interested to check out any books or writing about how that special operator narrative was cultivated or really just anything about the rise of special forces fetishization into mainstream culture.

Those are FFL guys from France's colonial adventures.

Which, way before the operator thing, was idolized. I mean, I read Beau Geste and the Foreign Legion Omnibus as a kid. An Academy Award winning actor was in an adventure film about the romance of the sands, fighting off Berber tribes, the brotherhood of the kepi blanc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oXNdG39CLDg

Also Political people in the Cold War loved stories of "Switzers" in Indochina and Algeria. The FFL was majority Swiss for quite some time after 1945.

Frosted Flake has issued a correction as of 05:32 on Mar 18, 2023

PoontifexMacksimus
Feb 14, 2012

BrownPepper posted:

Peepin thos calves...

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

The Mummy was a good movie, let's not go dragging it into this.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

You just know the Legion is going to be full of Political Ukrainians for the next few decades. Which is a shame too, as the Balkan war criminals were finally starting to thin out as they reached retirement age.

There were some good VICE articles about Canadians and Americans who joined in the 2000s and were absolutely horrified by what it was like, I imagine it's back to square one.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

I doubt Ukrainians will be picky about which mercenary outfit they work for. As long as they pay way more than what anyone could normally earn back home.

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

PoontifexMacksimus posted:

Peepin thos calves...

those calves are like little baby

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Regarde Aduck posted:

As of 2017 they had 7000+ T-72's in reserve so... Yeah they do (did?)

And that means ones not modernised to B3 standard so its not the ones that have got blown up. They should still have those 7000...

The gently caress is going on?

probably just using them as direct fire support for the militias and saving the t72s for actual tank v tank combat

BrownPepper
Dec 30, 2017

PoontifexMacksimus posted:

Peepin thos calves...

he's preparing to suck the mosquito venom out of the bites on his comrade's thighs. if you haven't served i could see how you think thats funny

BrownPepper has issued a correction as of 06:03 on Mar 18, 2023

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

It could just be a holdover from Soviet doctrine.

Right up until the collapse of the USSR, the Tank Companies that were attached to Motor Rifle Regiments, and the Independent Tank Battalions that were attached to Motor Rifle Divisions were equipped with the T-62/T-62M. So if they're being used in that capacity, it makes sense.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Does anyone actually have a source for how many T-72s the Russians are supposed to have?

We know they've been modernising a few hundred each year since ~2013, but beyond that there's not much to go on.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Lol at the shovel

Weka
May 5, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 14 hours!

mlmp08 posted:

Forcible relocation of children from Ukraine to Russia and refusal to repatriate them to their parents. The other senior person listed beyond Putin is the Russian Minister of Children’s Rights, who has overseen and defended this practice.

https://www.reuters.com/world/europe/icc-judges-issue-arrest-warrant-against-putin-over-alleged-war-crimes-2023-03-17/

Do you have an instance of Russia refusing to return a child to their parents? I remember last time this came up the closest example was a Ukrainian woman who had to pick them up in person or something.

Endman posted:

Does anyone actually have a source for how many T-72s the Russians are supposed to have?

We know they've been modernising a few hundred each year since ~2013, but beyond that there's not much to go on.

The military balance 2022. 7000 T-72s in storage out of 10,200 tanks total stored.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

My money on why they're using t62's is because those are closer to being totally obsolete and are thus cheaper in the sense that you burn your oldest, least useful stuff first. They may have some ability to think and plan for the future remaining and could be thinking along the lines of potentially needing t72/80 for a bigger war.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

That is legit impressive. Moving casualties any amount of distance is hard work for even a big bloke. She must have farm girl genes. Good on her.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Frosted Flake posted:

I have a pair of French Army PT shorts I traded someone for and I feel more self-conscious in them than a speedo.

sacre bleu :catstare:

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
The answer is that while there are vast theoretical stocks of vehicles out there, there are only so many vehicles that were recently in services and generally complete and ready to be upgraded.

The newer operational t-72s, usually are being operated (or upgraded to t-72b3m) or are in the process of being doing so at Nizhny Tagil (which has its hands full). The older stock is still there but a lot of that stuff may haven’t been looked at in decades. That said, Uraleagonzavod actually made the t-72 and I would presume has all the spare parts either available or could produce them themselves.

In addition, there were hundreds of t-62m that were being used until the late 2010s that are mostly complete, and are now being taken out of storage and being used/upgraded by smaller repair plants because they only have been out of service a relatively short amount of time. In addition, the differences between a t-62m and a t-73b are probably not great enough to not to have to a do a full refurbishment of tanks that probably have tons of issues with them after sitting around 30+ years in storage.

Also, the t-62, t-64, and t-72 are apart of different families of tanks and have fair amount of parts of them are not interchangeable. I expected they are digging t-62ms out because there are only so many tanks ready for mobilized personnel and it takes time to get thousands of them together while they rather have uralwagonzavod focus on more comprehensive upgrade of t-72s.

That said, t-90ms, t-72b3ms and t-62m(2022)s are all being pumped out at the same time along with modernized t-80s.

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 08:20 on Mar 18, 2023

Turtle Watch
Jul 30, 2010

by Games Forum

Orbis Tertius
Feb 13, 2007

casually browsing my voluminous collection of orc gam pics

Turtle Watch
Jul 30, 2010

by Games Forum
It’s a living

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

LEWD.

I feel expoited. Who do I complain to for my compo money?

Turtle Watch
Jul 30, 2010

by Games Forum
Gotta read the EULA more carefully, all your cheeks belong to aKKKtivision-bli$$ard in perpetuity.

Endman
May 18, 2010

Weka posted:

The military balance 2022. 7000 T-72s in storage out of 10,200 tanks total stored.

If you’re taking the IISS military balance, they’re now claiming the Russians have lost 50% of their T-72B3 & B3Ms.

https://www.iiss.org/press/2023/02/military-balance-2023 posted:

Significant focus is given to Russia’s continuing invasion of Ukraine. Both countries’ armed forces have suffered attrition. For Russia, personnel losses in the early phases of the 2022 invasion have been compensated for by mobilisation, but this has meant an influx of less experienced personnel. At the same time the composition of its armoured vehicle fleet has changed, with around 50% of its pre-war fleet of T-72B3 and T-72B3M tanks, and many of its T-80s, assessed to have been lost. As a result, Russia has had to bring older equipment into service as replacements.

Considering most posters ITT think these sorts of claims re: Russian losses are exaggerated, it’s possible the pre-war inventory was exaggerated by the same organisation too.

Endman
May 18, 2010

It’s also worth noting that the IISS is British, and their allegedly “independent” organisations and press have been all over the place re: Russia for a long time now.

supersnowman
Oct 3, 2012

There is also the comedy option of the Russia having 115mm ammo on hand which T-62 can use so if you are about to modernize a tank anyway before sending it to the frontline to do some assault gun work, it's not a terrible idea to use those.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

So basically it won't make sense unless we attend the same social gatherings and take the same amounts of nose flour. Got it.

Weka
May 5, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 14 hours!

Endman posted:

If you’re taking the IISS military balance, they’re now claiming the Russians have lost 50% of their T-72B3 & B3Ms.

Considering most posters ITT think these sorts of claims re: Russian losses are exaggerated, it’s possible the pre-war inventory was exaggerated by the same organisation too.

Half of the T-72B3 & B3Ms is 420, which doesn't seem impossible, but of course very few people really know how many tanks they have stored.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

supersnowman posted:

There is also the comedy option of the Russia having 115mm ammo on hand which T-62 can use so if you are about to modernize a tank anyway before sending it to the frontline to do some assault gun work, it's not a terrible idea to use those.

Spare ammo may be factor as well since the rest of their tanks use 125mm, and it just gives them another cache to use. Also, the t-62m ironically has better reverse speed, which may make it better for urban combat…the Russians are very very stubborn about not wanting to update their gear box on the t-72/90.

——-

Also, if they really lost that many tanks/men it would probably show up in terms of KIA in all honesty. The gap is explained by the fact that the Russian military is massively expanding in size and they really doesn’t have enough modern tanks to go around.

Weka posted:

Half of the T-72B3 & B3Ms is 420, which doesn't seem impossible, but of course very few people really know how many tanks they have stored.

Well there is some idea, it is very doubtful that Russia has gone through all of its t-72s considering the amount of production that occurred. As far as Oryx, I looked through those images, most of them are unidentifiable hunks of metal, it is completely on faith.

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 09:13 on Mar 18, 2023

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

https://twitter.com/LogKa11/status/1636663881383784448

Plywood construction for drones huh.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
When's the Spring offensive going to start

I'm sick of Bakhmut being the warfare equivalent of Schrodinger's cat, perpetually suspended between two states of being captured/ not captured

January 6 Survivor
Jan 6, 2022

The
Nelson Mandela
of clapping
dusty old cheeks

( o(

BrownPepper posted:

that's the french foreign legion my dude, not rhodies

also not to defend the honor of the legion but it also had germans in it before 1945 that joined to escape fascism. They must have hated the new recruits though

January 6 Survivor has issued a correction as of 09:06 on Mar 18, 2023

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat

Weka posted:

Do you have an instance of Russia refusing to return a child to their parents? I remember last time this came up the closest example was a Ukrainian woman who had to pick them up in person or something.

I missed this. Got a link?

Endman
May 18, 2010

Weka posted:

To be honest, I'd be surprised if anyone has actually physically counted them since the end of the USSR. It's entirely possible that the reason they're modernising the T-62 instead of just more T-72s is because they opened a warehouse that said T-72s on the front door, but it was actually filled with thousands of T-62s. :v:

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp
I hate that I remember that guy

Weka
May 5, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 14 hours!

Corky Romanovsky posted:

I missed this. Got a link?

The story I was talking about starts half way down. I misremembered, she did get them out without going to Russia.

https://apnews.com/article/ukrainian-children-russia-7493cb22c9086c6293c1ac7986d85ef6

Ardennes posted:

Well there is some idea, it is very doubtful that Russia has gone through all of its t-72s considering the amount of production that occurred. As far as Oryx, I looked through those images, most of them are unidentifiable hunks of metal, it is completely on faith.

Yeah it seems likely they have thousands in storage. Oryx obviously is a joke, he's up to 1845 tanks.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Ardennes posted:

Spare ammo may be factor as well since the rest of their tanks use 125mm, and it just gives them another cache to use. Also, the t-62m ironically has better reverse speed, which may make it better for urban combat…the Russians are very very stubborn about not wanting to update their gear box on the t-72/90.

——-

Also, if they really lost that many tanks/men it would probably show up in terms of KIA in all honesty. The gap is explained by the fact that the Russian military is massively expanding in size and they really doesn’t have enough modern tanks to go around.

The t90 specifically has a different transmission and goes much faster in reverse

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Slavvy posted:

The t90 specifically has a different transmission and goes much faster in reverse

[nafo]
the T in T-90 is for “reTreat” 😂😂😂😂
[/nafo]

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

https://twitter.com/EuromaidanPress/status/1636925641760325632

funny how whenever ukraine uses old equipment its smart and effective but when russia does the same then its just sad and a sign they're in real trouble