Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Gr148 complete. I'm not sure I have the will to press to 150. It's such a slog of RNG. I still don't know which monsters I should target and pylons are an added layer of crap shoot.

I got an oreks dream while speed farming the rift before I was about to start pushing again. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Any Tal Wizard in S28 with the right gear and skills should be able to clear GR150 at around ~1300 Paragon with a little luck and some favorable pylons. Link your armory and I'll tell you what you need.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

exquisite tea posted:

Any Tal Wizard in S28 with the right gear and skills should be able to clear GR150 at around ~1300 Paragon with a little luck and some favorable pylons. Link your armory and I'll tell you what you need.

https://us.diablo3.blizzard.com/en-us/profile/Larrymer-1390/hero/146566963

I'm putting most paragon in life but squirts still drops off very often. Classic web site is wrong as hell. Seasonal character around 1350 paragon I think. All the normal cube stuff. Core, mempo, rorg.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Your gear looks all right and GR150 capable. You could probably squeeze a little more survivability from getting Life % on your shoulders instead of CDR and a Vit roll on bracers instead of LoH. You're also missing some topend damage on your Viz but that can be a hard slot to improve. I think Crystal Shell is a superior rune to Enduring Skin for keeping your Squirt stacks up. With a little tweaking you should be able to power through GR150 no problem.

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006
Gonna eat so many goddamn crumpets.
I'm trying to clear GR110 just so I'm ready to wrap up the Altar once I get this Staff of Herding done, and my GoD DH is suddenly feeling uncomfortably squishy and short on DPS at GR106:

https://us.diablo3.blizzard.com/en-us/profile/McCoyPauley-1911/hero/146747798

I probably could just slog through and hope for the right GR and combination of Pylons, but I suspect I'm missing something easy here in terms of better rolls on my gear, or tweaks to make with gems or followers (for instance, I'm using the Templar here like I always do, but have never even seriously looked at the other two). I'm also planning to build out a UE build, which is a playstyle I like a little more than GoD, and could just pursue that this season -- Icey Veins seems to suggest UE is a higher tier than this -- but I'm hoping there are some easy tweaks I could make to get me over GR110 so I can just be done with the Altar. Well, once a drat Staff of Herding can be crafted. Any advice is appreciated.

EDIT: I think I'm about P700 in this season, but I'm assuming the key to clearing GR110 doesn't depend on lots more P levels.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge

McCoy Pauley posted:

I'm trying to clear GR110 just so I'm ready to wrap up the Altar once I get this Staff of Herding done, and my GoD DH is suddenly feeling uncomfortably squishy and short on DPS at GR106:

I probably could just slog through and hope for the right GR and combination of Pylons, but I suspect I'm missing something easy here in terms of better rolls on my gear, or tweaks to make with gems or followers (for instance, I'm using the Templar here like I always do, but have never even seriously looked at the other two). I'm also planning to build out a UE build, which is a playstyle I like a little more than GoD, and could just pursue that this season -- Icey Veins seems to suggest UE is a higher tier than this -- but I'm hoping there are some easy tweaks I could make to get me over GR110 so I can just be done with the Altar. Well, once a drat Staff of Herding can be crafted. Any advice is appreciated.

EDIT: I think I'm about P700 in this season, but I'm assuming the key to clearing GR110 doesn't depend on lots more P levels.

I looked at your profile for 5 seconds and I am going to give you two tips that will let you slaughter GR110 with ease
1.) Get a Fortress Ballista if you are feeling too squishy
2.) AUGMENT YOUR GOD DAMNED ANCIENTS, EVEN IF THEY ARE BAD.

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006

Orange Crush Rush posted:

I looked at your profile for 5 seconds and I am going to give you two tips that will let you slaughter GR110 with ease
1.) Get a Fortress Ballista if you are feeling too squishy
2.) AUGMENT YOUR GOD DAMNED ANCIENTS, EVEN IF THEY ARE BAD.

Thanks. Completely forgot about augmenting. So if I can comfortably clear GR100, should I be leveling gems up to 90 and augmenting with those? Or is it not worth bothering unless gems are level 100?

And potentially dumb question, but I'm augmenting to add Dex to everything (not, say Vit) -- right?

becoming
Aug 25, 2004

McCoy Pauley posted:

Cube an Elusive Ring instead of the CoE, you will be fine. We've had a reasonably long discussion, in this thread and in Discord, about the Fortress Ballista; after looking at numbers and running rifts with both Valla's and Fortress, I agree with KenBearlLOLOL that Valla's is a better fit at low paragon - that's not to say that you'll get no benefit from it, but you'll just get more of a benefit from Valla's. The Fortress Ballista shields aren't enough to sustain Squirt's on high GRs without a boatload of HP. It'll get you through 110 but there's no need when you can/should just cube an Elusive Ring. Do that, keep it proc'd, and you'll crush.

becoming
Aug 25, 2004

McCoy Pauley posted:

Thanks. Completely forgot about augmenting. So if I can comfortably clear GR100, should I be leveling gems up to 90 and augmenting with those? Or is it not worth bothering unless gems are level 100?

And potentially dumb question, but I'm augmenting to add Dex to everything (not, say Vit) -- right?

You should do Echoing Nightmare to augment. You'll earn the legendary gem Whisper of Atonement, which can only be used for augmenting. Don't waste your leveled gems. A Petrified Scream opens the Echoing Nightmare. There are videos on YouTube about how to kinda sorta cheese it and guarantee a 126+ (which gets you the maxed-out gem).

Dex, yeah.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

McCoy Pauley posted:

Have you been finding Screams or whatever from GRs? Use those to get special gems that are used only for Augmenting.
Those work like Puzzle Rings, where if you are in a group of 4 everyone gets access to it from the same one so try to find a group that can carry you to wave 125+ a few times (thats the highest the Gems cap out at).

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006

becoming posted:

You should do Echoing Nightmare to augment. You'll earn the legendary gem Whisper of Atonement, which can only be used for augmenting. Don't waste your leveled gems. A Petrified Scream opens the Echoing Nightmare. There are videos on YouTube about how to kinda sorta cheese it and guarantee a 126+ (which gets you the maxed-out gem).

Dex, yeah.

Oh nice -- I made a level 125 Whisper of Atonement for the Altar, but somehow didn't connect that with augmentation. That took almost no time at all, and wasn't particularly hard with GoD, so if I can just crank out those, I think have three Petrified Screams just sitting around ready to go.

And I get more Screams from GRs, not regular Rifts, right?

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

Yeah they only drop from GR bosses, at about the same rate of those Socket Gifts

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006
Nice-- thanks all for the advice. This has been a season of plenty w/r/t Ramaladni's Gifts, so hopefully the luck continues with Screams.

Now if only there was altar slot to make pets pick up gems, since that's pretty much the only thing I'm left clicking on other than legendaries at this point.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

I've never played Necro in D3, what're the easiest/laziest builds for season?

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
I've had a couple failed attempts at 144. I assume I need to use Stricken over Powerful to progress further?

How should I be approaching the GR's? Skip to elites and only kill them while trying to group as much trash with it? I don't have good sense of what to skip and what to kill.

https://us.diablo3.blizzard.com/en-us/profile/bamhand-1890/hero/147314286

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

I could also use a "pushing rifts for idiots who have only played casually for 10 years". I started trying to climb last night and was surprised to find myself having fun doing it.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Nova builds are pretty lazy. Push button, fart novas, things die.

It's no lazy bones but it's quick and powerful.

AlbertFlasher
Feb 14, 2006

Hulk Hogan and the Wrestling Boot Band

Mustached Demon posted:

Nova builds are pretty lazy. Push button, fart novas, things die.

It's no lazy bones but it's quick and powerful.

Ya this. The only downside is it's bad against single target.

plainswalker75
Feb 22, 2003

Pigs are smarter than Bears, but they can't ride motorcycles
Hair Elf

Admiral Joeslop posted:

I started with the bone spear build since it's the Haedrig's set https://maxroll.gg/d3/guides/masquerade-bone-spear-necromancer-guide but I lucked into an LoD gem on my first GR, so I rushed levelling it to pivot to the LoD speedrun Blood Nova build: https://maxroll.gg/d3/guides/lod-death-nova-necromancer-guide and it's pretty lazy. Basically, you just activate your simulacrums at the start of a rift and then occasionally cast bone armor and blood rush; blood siphon procs the nova, so you don't even really have to focus that much on targeting.

plainswalker75 fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Mar 17, 2023

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006
Is the broken Crown a 100% chance for a slotted gem to also drop? I put one on my templar with an emerald in it and ran a Rift, and I swear I ended up with 10 total diamonds, rubies and topaz, but only one emerald. Shouldn't there be just as many emeralds as any other color?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

The effect counts the gem you have equipped, not your follower’s.

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD
:dukedog:
Shields are amazing and the only reason Squirt's is viable, I had trouble pushing GRs until I had around 700k life. Now with more paragon (~2100) I try for 1m+ which is very comfortable for 145 and above. I have %life rolls on my shoulders/chest/belt and use an Amethyst in helm.

If you're having trouble with Comet then try switching to Star Pact, it's a little more involved to play but also significantly more powerful. You still get to spam meteors when you have a good pull going and don't even worry about convention cycles, but single target is painful.

bamhand posted:

I've had a couple failed attempts at 144. I assume I need to use Stricken over Powerful to progress further?

How should I be approaching the GR's? Skip to elites and only kill them while trying to group as much trash with it? I don't have good sense of what to skip and what to kill.

https://us.diablo3.blizzard.com/en-us/profile/bamhand-1890/hero/147314286

Yes, Stricken is great at higher GR because when stuff takes multiple hits to die it stacks up quick and far surpasses Powerful. Powerful is only good for speed farming.

Density is your friend as it means meteors hit more enemies to trigger more area damage. It also restores more arcane power to let you keep dropping meteors. The best maps are going to be the ones with lots of little enemies instead of fewer larger enemies. Try to combine elite packs by kiting them together along with the trash. Always be moving; don't bother trying to kill every enemy in a pull when you could spend that time moving to the next and have them follow you. The Smoldering Core's taunt ability helps you create your own density if you can focus your meteors in one place so I like to circle around a pull while casting into the center. Black Hole is fantastic when you can trigger it on massive pulls for 30+ stacks.

It says you're using unwavering will. Why? Blur will help keep your shields up. You're missing some augments on your ancients. At 2k paragon you should have no problem clearing 150.

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006

exquisite tea posted:

The effect counts the gem you have equipped, not your follower’s.

Well that would explain the bounty of diamonds. Thanks.

KenBearlLOLOL
Feb 1, 2006
ASK ME ABOUT MY BORDERLINE ALCOHOLISM
Stricken is a little bit weird in that it only adds a stack on the first enemy you hit with a cast, so for the most part it's not doing much for you during a rift, but it's essential on RG fights for most builds. There are some good explanations of its mechanics on Maxroll's legendary gem and rift guardian guides if you want to know exactly how the stacking works between the hit rules and the internal cooldown on gaining stacks.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Wouldn't an extra 20% armor and resists serve a similar purpose to blur? I don't know what uptime I have on it though. I think I'm missing just two augments, don't have any screams right now.

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD
Those only kick in after standing still for 1.5 seconds and you should always be moving to dodge attacks and manage the giant blob of monsters you've aggro'd. Cast, move, cast, move, etc. Blur is always up no matter what.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

McCoy Pauley posted:

Well that would explain the bounty of diamonds. Thanks.

You can convert 9 of any gem into any other type for a paltry amount of gold using the cube, don't worry about farming a specific color with the crown. You just need a stack of 9 of the same kind.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
Yep, just farm diamonds, roll them into 9 royals, cube em and then roll them into flawless if you don't want to wait until you have enough diamonds to make 9.

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

Admiral Joeslop posted:

You basically want the amulet that lets you keep simulacrum. It's such a huge power spike for basically any build. But this season gives you bone spear to start off, and nova will end up being your best once you get the right equipment.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

I tried out Inarius Blood Nova and it sucked rear end. Switching to Trag was an immediate and noticable improvement. Beat grift 110 handily though the boss damage is pitiful.

Which sets are good from Haegrid this season? I'm full up on Necro stuff already.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
Deadlands on DH is probably the most satisfying of the gift sets this season. It's not a fantastic single target setup, but it's up there with the in-geom or Aether Walker teleport spam tal Rasha builds for speed farming due to the insane movement speed and area damage.

But honestly, once you've gotten the QoL seals on the altar, you can farm up any 6 peice in an afternoon. I think it took 2-3 hours of lazy nephs and speed GRs for my gf to get the 4 sets to pass the set dungeon pages for the altar seal on her GoD DH after a poorly timed stash clearout the day before. Bout the same to put most of the tal Rasha build together on a wizard alt.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Dreadlands would be perfect if you didn't have to manually spam hungering arrow to keep momentum up. I don't know why the auto shots don't proc it. :argh:

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
It seems like the Diablo 4 beta has broken both Hearthstone and Diablo 3 lol. Keep getting disconnected in the former, and then I logged into the latter (with a queue before I could even open the Battlenet launcher) and the rift monolith was missing when I spawned into town

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

After playing the D4 beta my only thought is "man I hope they keep making d3 seasons." It's already a pretty small team, let's hope they still get to keep making content.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Suburban Dad posted:

After playing the D4 beta my only thought is "man I hope they keep making d3 seasons." It's already a pretty small team, let's hope they still get to keep making content.

Is it that bad?

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003
Like an evil horny Santa Claus.

Volguus posted:

Is it that bad?

My Facebook review was, "the best part was the cinematics. I didn't particularly like the cinematics."

I dipped at level 18. 2 levels away from unlocking the special cosmetics.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

You can read more people's thoughts in the D4 thread, I don't want to poo poo this one up too much. It's a different direction, for sure.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Volguus posted:

Is it that bad?

Bones are very solid but the MMO aspects make the overall direction suspect and bog down the engine. Itemization is cool, combat feels great. D3 was a very shallow game, D4 has the potential for some good depth and interesting stuff, but the looming Activision Blizzard shitshow is a very dark cloud.

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD
From what I've been playing (level 21 so far) it seems like if the only reason you enjoy D3 is blitzing to the endgame to mindlessly farm stuff at the speed of light then D4 will not be fun. It's very slow and methodical with deeper(?) itemization and character building set in a more populated world full of sidequests. I'm enjoying it but it is very different.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Swilo posted:

From what I've been playing (level 21 so far) it seems like if the only reason you enjoy D3 is blitzing to the endgame to mindlessly farm stuff at the speed of light then D4 will not be fun. It's very slow and methodical with deeper(?) itemization and character building set in a more populated world full of sidequests. I'm enjoying it but it is very different.

D3 is also slow until you hit late game. I'm already teleporting around dropping chain aoe stuns and melting things really fast as a rogue. The late game builds will be bonkers given the way you can cube any legendary power onto any other item. Set pieces with full legendaries augmented onto them? Yeah it's going to get crazy.