Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

GWBBQ posted:

Two questions:

1: (Yes, I'm going to scrub that crap off the tub, but I want to ask this before I forget). Hot water runs constantly from the tub, and after taking the hot water faucet knob off, this is what's under it. Going by the drain plug toggle, it's a Moen fixture, probably original to the house from the early '90s, maybe late '90s.

It's a one-piece shower and can't be accessed from the other side of the wall without ripping apart kitchen cabinets. I'm guessing that if I use vise grips on the end where it's scuffed up or a strap wrench on the larger part, I can unscrew it, and I'm hoping to find typical valve guts inside. It doesn't look like there was ever a nut to put a wrench on. A couple of mechanical geniuses "tightened it down" a few times and said it just needs to be replaced (one of these handy individuals also turned a car port into an extra room and attached the framed walls to the concrete with nothing but caulk, for an idea of the quality workmanship we're dealing with).

2: A 24 year old water heater keeps tripping its self protect. Everything checks out electrically including the top and bottom thermostats and both heating elements. Instead of trying to find parts for it, it's time to just replace it, right?

You can replace that panel thing for dirt cheap and see if it helps. I got nearly a year or 2 more out of my ancient one before it started doing that again and I bit the billet and got a new one. If yours is easily accessible (mine wasn’t) just replace one yes at that old.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

If you aren't in a "must do cheapest thing possible now" budget, replace the water heater. You're well past "on borrowed time" with anything inside/directly connected to the tank. If the reason for the fault is, say, one of the heating elements - there's a next-to-zero percent chance you can get that removed and replaced without causing terminal damage.

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf
I've got a situation bugging me because I don't know if it'll be a problem for not.

Due to circumstances, some upstairs radiators need to go (this is a pity). But I'm wondering if the proposed method of removing them is going to cause issues later, because of the way the system appears to be connected.

The upstairs radiators appear to feed directly off the ones below them on the lower floor, so there are vertical pipes leading up to the upstairs rad. The proposal is to just cut and cap each line at the floor level, which is definitely the simplest way. (both hot and return pipes individually capped, not making them into a closed loop)

My worry is, isn't that big vertical pipe going to trap a lot of gasses? Is it going to affect the pump pressure for the system? I'm used to regularly bleeding radiators out to remove any gasses and help the water circulate properly, but these big rear end chimneys aren't going to have that ability.

But I'm not a hydraulics expert, so I have no idea if I'm worrying about nothing or not. Or am I setting up for a problem later down the line? Cutting at the bottom would obviously make me feel better, but would involve a lot of wall destruction trying to find the things. And I have no idea if that drama would be necessary.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
Cap them at the tees, solve every problem at once.

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf

Nitrox posted:

Cap them at the tees, solve every problem at once.

Yes, but finding those means tearing up the old hardwood floor.

It's doable, but what I'm trying to understand is the consequences I'd be avoiding by going through all that.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

NZAmoeba posted:

Yes, but finding those means tearing up the old hardwood floor.

It's doable, but what I'm trying to understand is the consequences I'd be avoiding by going through all that.

An ir camera would help narrow things down considerably.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
Yeah, you absolutely want to cap them at the tees. It sucks and means more work, but it'll mean things working better in the future which is generally how it works: More work now to avoid even more work later.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

With the extremely big likelihood of having to pull up them sections of floor anyways.

Justa Dandelion
Nov 27, 2020

[sobbing] Look at the circles under my eyes. I haven't slept in weeks!

Hey all! I am a person who makes cocktail bars work better and I'm often dismayed at the ways in which bar owners and designers have laid these facilities out. When I make suggestions about how things should be laid out I often get the push back that they don't want to pay a plumber to replumb which is often necessary for the fixes I recommend. I am on salary and our company often owns or partners with the bars we work on. So I think I could add substantial ergonomic benefits to the people working in these spaces as well as benefits to the business as a result of more functional spaces.

What is the best resource for super basic plumbing info? I'm just dealing with relatively clean drains and faucets for the most part.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?

Justa Dandelion posted:

What is the best resource for super basic plumbing info? I'm just dealing with relatively clean drains and faucets for the most part.

I think I'd want an example of what you consider to be "super basic," because sometimes some things that should logically be "super basic" like "steel sink drains" are actually a subgenre filled with a ton of manufacturer-specific parts that aren't always intercompatible, because some manufacturers(like loving IKEA of all things) think they're smarter than the standards.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Is John Taffer a goon?!

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Justa Dandelion posted:

Hey all! I am a person who makes cocktail bars work better and I'm often dismayed at the ways in which bar owners and designers have laid these facilities out. When I make suggestions about how things should be laid out I often get the push back that they don't want to pay a plumber to replumb which is often necessary for the fixes I recommend. I am on salary and our company often owns or partners with the bars we work on. So I think I could add substantial ergonomic benefits to the people working in these spaces as well as benefits to the business as a result of more functional spaces.

You probably cannot do plumbing work on commercial buildings without being a licensed plumber. Definitely check on that before you do any work.

Also consider insurance... if you gently caress up and flood a building, they're coming after you for doing the work. I doubt you'll be able to get insurance if you're asking for "super basic plumbing info"

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Depending on where you are, I know that in some areas the rule is that if you're working after a shutoff valve, and that valve isn't the one at the water meter, you can gently caress around without being a licensed plumber because if there's a problem you can just twist the valve and defuckle it until real tradesmen arrive, but if it's prior to a valve like that(or there is no valve), you're on the hook if you gently caress something up.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

IOwnCalculus posted:

If you aren't in a "must do cheapest thing possible now" budget, replace the water heater. You're well past "on borrowed time" with anything inside/directly connected to the tank. If the reason for the fault is, say, one of the heating elements - there's a next-to-zero percent chance you can get that removed and replaced without causing terminal damage.
I'm visiting my GF's mom's house and I said around this time last year that they needed a new water heater. Last night, the relief valve started spewing out boiling water at around 240°F and I just turned it off at the breaker. I can deal with cold showers for the next week before we fly back to CT, but I'm just adding it to the list of things that need to be fixed.

Alabama Power will replace a water heater and spread out the cost over power bills, but I'm going to look into exactly what the costs are.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
How crazy is doing a DIY water heater installation? I'm thinking of replacing my old gas water heater with an electric heat pump unit (gotta put that panel and service upgrade to use!). I feel confident doing the necessary electrical work, I'd enlist my father in law to help with the plumbing, but connecting an inlet and an outlet for water doesn't sound that difficult. Is there any X factor I'd be missing?

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

FISHMANPET posted:

How crazy is doing a DIY water heater installation? I'm thinking of replacing my old gas water heater with an electric heat pump unit (gotta put that panel and service upgrade to use!). I feel confident doing the necessary electrical work, I'd enlist my father in law to help with the plumbing, but connecting an inlet and an outlet for water doesn't sound that difficult. Is there any X factor I'd be missing?

I would say that a heat pump thing is likely the sort of thing you might want a professional's help with, even if only to do the final pressure testing of the unit and etc. to make sure it isn't losing coolant or whatever. It's definitely not something I would expect the average person to be able to do. If it was just an ordinary electric water heater, sure, no problem, but heat pumps do require a bit more finesse.

I say this because I know here in Denmark, hosed up DIY installations started becoming so much of a problem that they eventually had to legislate that you could only use a heat pump if it had been certified and pressure tested by a professional.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Not a heat pump for heating/cooling, but a heat pump water heater. My reading of the installation manuals is that there's no calibration involved, it's a completely self contained unit.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

FISHMANPET posted:

Not a heat pump for heating/cooling, but a heat pump water heater. My reading of the installation manuals is that there's no calibration involved, it's a completely self contained unit.

Huh, I hadn't read about these before, so they're really just new tech for an electric water heater, not what I'd call an actual heat pump which tends to involve actually yanking its heat out of some thing else(ground or air, generally) to heat up the water heater's contents.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
It yanks heat out of the air and puts it in the water. The air just happens to be immediately next to the water.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Guy Axlerod posted:

It yanks heat out of the air and puts it in the water. The air just happens to be immediately next to the water.

It's still without any of the complicated parts which would be connecting it to an exterior unit, is what I mean.

Even if I have my doubts about the wisdom of essentially turning your utility space/basement into a reverse fridge.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

FISHMANPET posted:

I did mine myself, I had more issues wrestling the old one out and the new one in than on the plumbing side. Though be aware the inlets and outlets are probably going to be in different positions than the previous tank so you'll need to adjust accordingly. I had the electrician come in and get me a pigtail drop that I hooked up when the plumbing was done. Beyond that keep some extra pipe on hand for the condensate drain.

The app that comes with mine (Rheem) sucks and I disabled any wifi functionality to keep a firmware update from bricking my water heater. I can't believe I just typed that, what a stupid appliance world we live in.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Yooper posted:

The app that comes with mine (Rheem) sucks and I disabled any wifi functionality to keep a firmware update from bricking my water heater. I can't believe I just typed that, what a stupid appliance world we live in.

NO, THESE ARE "SMART" APPLIANCES.

Comrade Gritty
Sep 19, 2011

This Machine Kills Fascists
I have a whole home R/O unit in my basement, which is plumbed to various locations using plastic, 3/8" OD (I think) lines with push connect fittings. It currently goes to 3 locations and I need to add 2 more. It would be pretty simple to just get more T fittings and add yet another T onto this, but it currently has sort of a ghetto manifold system by having just a bunch of T fittings in a row creating an ugly mess.

It would be great to get a real manifold system and clean this up, but as far as I can tell they don't really make them for this application. Am I missing something or is a bunch of T's really the best option here? I'm happy to do whatever makes sense, but the 3/8" OD (I think) leads off into a wall / ceiling to other parts of the house, so it's not worth replacing the line itself so whatever I do will need to support that.

Any ideas? Or should I just add more Ts.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

The main thing to know about heat pump water heaters is that it takes a LOT of energy to warm up water. Taking 50 gallons of water from 65°F to 120°F requires about 24MJ of energy, which even figuring in a 2.5-3.0 COP is enough to cool all of the air in a 2500sqft house by something like 50-60°F.

So venting the room you have the water heater in is very important or you'll end up with an icebox.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
What kind of cooling capacity do they have? The ones I saw were about half of a typical window air conditioner.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Shifty Pony posted:

The main thing to know about heat pump water heaters is that it takes a LOT of energy to warm up water. Taking 50 gallons of water from 65°F to 120°F requires about 24MJ of energy, which even figuring in a 2.5-3.0 COP is enough to cool all of the air in a 2500sqft house by something like 50-60°F.

So venting the room you have the water heater in is very important or you'll end up with an icebox.

Is 120F(~50C) the normal hot water temp in the US/UK? I know in Denmark it'd be more like 130F(~55C), which would probably make it even worse in terms of energy use.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Guy Axlerod posted:

What kind of cooling capacity do they have? The ones I saw were about half of a typical window air conditioner.

Yeah that's about right, most can pull 5kw or so but that's due to an additional electric resistive heating element. The point still stands that they will definitely cool down an enclosed area like a laundry/utility door same as running a window unit full blast.

PurpleXVI posted:

Is 120F(~50C) the normal hot water temp in the US/UK? I know in Denmark it'd be more like 130F(~55C), which would probably make it even worse in terms of energy use.

Depends in the US. 120°F is the suggested setpoint to reduce scalding risk and energy use but that's still fairly close to the temperature that legionella can grow at.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Shifty Pony posted:

Depends in the US. 120°F is the suggested setpoint to reduce scalding risk and energy use but that's still fairly close to the temperature that legionella can grow at.

Most bacteria has a range of temps it can grow at, being off the optimal temperature just means slower growth. The way to avoid bacteria in your hot water is, really, to make sure you use all of it and not have an oversized water heater. If you regularly clear out the hot water and have fresh water coming in and heating up, the temperature change from tap water temps to hot-enough-to-bathe temps is what's liable to kill off bacterial growth or slow it down enough that it never becomes a problem.

Also lmao, speaking of scalding risks. We have a solar water heater connected to our system, love that first day of the year where I open the tap expecting "warm" and instead get "literally steaming as it hits the sink."

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Wiping your flux is for losers apparently

Ah poo poo the previous owner was a loving moron

Bonus HVAC fuckery that you might have seen me post in other threads. I would say it is plumbing adjacent but "adjacent" would be an improvement.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Shifty Pony posted:

Stop taking pictures in my basement and posting them please.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Shifty Pony posted:

I love the drill job on that joist.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Motronic posted:

Stop taking pictures in my basement and posting them please.

Oh I see you bought my last house.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

kid sinister posted:

I love the drill job on that joist.

It's clearly easier to just plunge right through a joist than it is to move a pipe over two inches in a crawlspace. It's impossible to predict where pipes will end up until you start laying them.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Getting/renting a borescope to check on the work hiding in the wall of the recently renovated master bathroom shower definitely moved waaaaaay up the list of priorities.

My emergency kit is starting to look like the back of a plumbing van with the crazy hodgepodge variety of PVC and copper in this house.

To add to the fun the cutoff valve is in the corner of the crawlspace furthest from the entrance, but I feel like that's the free-space of plumbing bingo.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Shifty Pony posted:

Getting/renting a borescope to check on the work hiding in the wall of the recently renovated master bathroom shower definitely moved waaaaaay up the list of priorities.

My emergency kit is starting to look like the back of a plumbing van with the crazy hodgepodge variety of PVC and copper in this house.

To add to the fun the cutoff valve is in the corner of the crawlspace furthest from the entrance, but I feel like that's the free-space of plumbing bingo.

Where is the meter located?

c355n4
Jan 3, 2007

I think the installer CRANKED on this shower head when they installed it. I have a Kohler HydroRail-R (https://www.kohler.com/en/products/showers/shop-shower-fittings/hydrorail-r-arch-shower-column-45211?skuId=45211-CP) and I want to replace the showerhead and use it in another bathroom. While removing the old showerhead it brought the adapter with it and I can't figure out how to remove the adapter from the old shower head without resorting to violence.

The part circled in red is in the showerhead. It should have stayed with the arm.

Any ideas?

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

c355n4 posted:

I think the installer CRANKED on this shower head when they installed it. I have a Kohler HydroRail-R (https://www.kohler.com/en/products/showers/shop-shower-fittings/hydrorail-r-arch-shower-column-45211?skuId=45211-CP) and I want to replace the showerhead and use it in another bathroom. While removing the old showerhead it brought the adapter with it and I can't figure out how to remove the adapter from the old shower head without resorting to violence.

The part circled in red is in the showerhead. It should have stayed with the arm.

Any ideas?

Usually those have a six-sided interior that you can get a hex key into, which should make it somewhat easier to liberate from the shower head.

If not, what's sticking it together may not be the installer loving it up, just as likely its limescale gluing them together, so dunking them in a solution of citric acid might make them easier to get apart(citric because it'll dissovlve the limescale without also dissolving rubber gaskets and chromed surfaces).

c355n4
Jan 3, 2007

PurpleXVI posted:

Usually those have a six-sided interior that you can get a hex key into, which should make it somewhat easier to liberate from the shower head.

If not, what's sticking it together may not be the installer loving it up, just as likely its limescale gluing them together, so dunking them in a solution of citric acid might make them easier to get apart(citric because it'll dissovlve the limescale without also dissolving rubber gaskets and chromed surfaces).

Yea, nothing inside to use a hex key against. It could be limescale as you mentioned, the shower head has a bunch of it. Would vinegar work to let it soak in a bit?

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

c355n4 posted:

Yea, nothing inside to use a hex key against. It could be limescale as you mentioned, the shower head has a bunch of it. Would vinegar work to let it soak in a bit?

Vinegar works, but vinegar contains acetic acid(which is what dissolves the limescale) at low concentrations, and acetic acid with enough time or concentration WILL gently caress up chrome and rubber gaskets. At work we see a lot of chrome surfaces eventually give up the fight because vinegar is the classic folk solution for limescale. If you have anything that's intended for use in de-limescaling a coffee machine, that should also be a milder solution that won't do any damage.

EDIT: Alternately, if it ends up being violence, if you don't care about preserving the showerhead and only about keeping the adapter, you might be able to use a small hacksaw or something to destroy the showerhead itself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
Heat might also work