Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Owl Inspector posted:

this is not controversial but it wasn't actually a common kind of enemy before elden ring.

It's a pretty novel boss gimmick in small doses but it was probably a bad call for the (likely) first major boss in Dark Souls 2

edit: like, "you can only see its feet" is a fun idea for a challenge even when it doesn't work that well mechanically, but it's only effective when you've already fought a bunch of bosses and have the rhythm down and have some training on how to recognize attack tells. It definitely wasn't the best but I didn't mind the big giant elden ring boss fight

goferchan fucked around with this message at 07:29 on Mar 18, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Demon's Souls had a bunch of really giant bosses.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

goferchan posted:

It's a pretty novel boss gimmick in small doses but it was probably a bad call for the (likely) first major boss in Dark Souls 2

edit: like, "you can only see its feet" is a fun idea for a challenge even when it doesn't work that well mechanically, but it's only effective when you've already fought a bunch of bosses and have the rhythm down and have some training on how to recognize attack tells. It definitely wasn't the best but I didn't mind the big giant elden ring boss fight

Hey, early tree dude wasn't so bad!... Once I learned I really did have poo poo I-frames with my Warrior and could compensate for that, and everyone telling me "Dodging is the same as last time, it is your imagination your dodge is bad, git gud idiot!" had changed their minds and declared they knew it was agility substat based the whole time after I started beating bosses.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

Jack Trades posted:

Exoprimal would be a great game if they didn't insist that it had to be PvP(vE) for some reason.

PVP & Live service even. That killed all excitement I had for the game. If it was a PvE with coop game like EDF it would be great.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

Anno posted:

I almost certainly won’t play this game but I respect that they let someone make it

https://twitter.com/mightykeef/status/1636557497656811520?s=46&t=IW0MSOWK0Lh4VsB3wVLoOA

why'd they put reinhardt into the game?

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
I've been playing La Mulana OG lately, I've mostly done two areas and killed a boss, and I'm having a blast. Maybe the puzzles will get more obtuse as I go, but so far they are manageable with copious note taking and map making.

So if anyone is on the fence and enjoys that kind of thing, it's 3 bucks on steam right now.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Just finished Superhot - it might be the most innovative shooter I've played in years

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

more FPS games should have fish as weapons

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

The Steam store really wants me to buy this game.

:-D

https://twitter.com/JoeMashups/status/1636223538553126912/

KNR
May 3, 2009
Here's a more controversial take: big enemies being awful is just a symptom of over-the-shoulder 3rd person being the worst loving perspective for a videogame. Either go 1st person for the immersion, or zoom out to a side/top-down view so you can actually see what's going on for gameplay.

OTS 3rd person so heavily limits awareness of your surroundings that basically every game with it that has a functional combat system is just all about iframe dodges and parries, i.e. timing. Minimizing aspects of spacing and positioning because you can't move fast enough or see far enough for it to work well. Having to do careful AI management for anything more than 1v1 to try and keep active enemies onscreen.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

KNR posted:

Here's a more controversial take: big enemies being awful is just a symptom of over-the-shoulder 3rd person being the worst loving perspective for a videogame. Either go 1st person for the immersion, or zoom out to a side/top-down view so you can actually see what's going on for gameplay.

OTS 3rd person so heavily limits awareness of your surroundings that basically every game with it that has a functional combat system is just all about iframe dodges and parries, i.e. timing. Minimizing aspects of spacing and positioning because you can't move fast enough or see far enough for it to work well. Having to do careful AI management for anything more than 1v1 to try and keep active enemies onscreen.

So where does something like Devil May Cry 5 fit into this?

KNR
May 3, 2009

Jack Trades posted:

So where does something like Devil May Cry 5 fit into this?
While I've played a reasonably heavy amount of 4, I don't think DMC 3-5 are that good. I think the games basically always just give you a bunch of cool toys to unleash combos on punching bags and then struggle to make the actually threatening enemies (including bosses) fit into that combat system. 5 in particular, the final Vergil fight is pretty good but entirely about parrying and bears very little resemblance to how the game plays most of time. Most regular fights, managing the camera is a significant fraction of the difficulty and you control enemies by stunlocking them, which is still timing based. And even if it's not necessary, those regular fights still often flow best if you can royal guard everything, just like the more iframe based Platinum games.

More importantly, my point is that regardless of how good DMC 3-5 are currently, they would be better games to actually play if the camera was more zoomed out so you could see all the enemies in an encounter and be more mobile.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

KNR posted:

While I've played a reasonably heavy amount of 4, I don't think DMC 3-5 are that good. I think the games basically always just give you a bunch of cool toys to unleash combos on punching bags and then struggle to make the actually threatening enemies (including bosses) fit into that combat system. 5 in particular, the final Vergil fight is pretty good but entirely about parrying and bears very little resemblance to how the game plays most of time. Most regular fights, managing the camera is a significant fraction of the difficulty and you control enemies by stunlocking them, which is still timing based. And even if it's not necessary, those regular fights still often flow best if you can royal guard everything, just like the more iframe based Platinum games.

More importantly, my point is that regardless of how good DMC 3-5 are currently, they would be better games to actually play if the camera was more zoomed out so you could see all the enemies in an encounter and be more mobile.

There's so much wrong with all of this, I don't even know where to start.

DMC5 is hands down the pinnacle of the genre. This isn't even debatable.
You claiming that the games "struggle to make enemies threatening" tells me that you clearly haven't even played on anything beyond normal, which in DMC's terms might as well be the tutorial.
DMC5 is an exception to this but in most other games in the series you don't even have any control over the camera so saying that "managing the camera is a significant portion of the difficulty" shows that you don't even know what you're talking about.
Crowd Control is not timing based, it's all about positioning, what the gently caress are you smoking?
The games aren't designed around usage of royal guard and overall, during the majority of it, you don't even have access to royal guard.

KNR
May 3, 2009
I completed 4 on DMD. Enemies getting a timer to powering up is exactly the sort of inelegant bullshit I mean when I say they struggle to fit threatening enemies into the combat system.

5 I did just play on normal because I didn't like the game enough to keep playing it over and over, not my fault the game locks harder difficulties to NG+. It is also the only one I've played in the last decade, hence maybe not remembering the exact details on camera control. I definitely remember having to plan some fights in 4 around keeping specific enemies onscreen, the exact mechanisms of how I had to do that are kind of secondary.

And Nero still being literally impossible to play while holding a gamepad as designed alone is enough to disqualify 5 from being the pinnacle of anything.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

KNR posted:

I definitely remember having to plan some fights in 4 around keeping specific enemies onscreen, the exact mechanisms of how I had to do that are kind of secondary.

I hardly think that the game is designed to force you to abuse the AI using the camera trick. The fact that you felt like you had to was on you and not the developers.

KNR posted:

And Nero still being literally impossible to play while holding a gamepad as designed alone is enough to disqualify 5 from being the pinnacle of anything.

I've beaten DMD with default Nero controls, so I have no idea what the gently caress is so impossible about them. :shrug:

Jack Trades fucked around with this message at 13:09 on Mar 18, 2023

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
Yea the PvP focus of dino game really bums me out. But since it’s going to gamepass I’ll at least play it for a few weeks. I’ve only done the tutorial but I was immediately getting those Lost Planet feels. Really need a new one or a remaster of 2.

KNR
May 3, 2009
Well, Nero in 4 was impossible to play effectively without holding a gamepad awkwardly. Because you absolutely need the gun charge for some enemies, and need to hold it while doing combos, for which you need sword, buster, lockon and rev. And lockon and rev can't comfortably be on the same finger as sword or each other. For 5, I saw that you unlock exactly the same gun charging for NG+, but didn't play enough to see if it ends up as vital as it was 4. Even if it isn't, not always charging is still leaving damage on the table purely out of the awkwardness of the controls.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

KNR posted:

Well, Nero in 4 was impossible to play effectively without holding a gamepad awkwardly. Because you absolutely need the gun charge for some enemies, and need to hold it while doing combos, for which you need sword, buster, lockon and rev. And lockon and rev can't comfortably be on the same finger as sword or each other. For 5, I saw that you unlock exactly the same gun charging for NG+, but didn't play enough to see if it ends up as vital as it was 4. Even if it isn't, not always charging is still leaving damage on the table purely out of the awkwardness of the controls.

Gun button shares a finger with Sword, Breaker and Jump. Pressing Jump while holding Gun is practically impossible, yes, but with moves like Snatch and Roulette/Sky High/Calibur/etc, there's no real reason to jump while doing combos with Nero, and you can still access Sword and Breaker buttons while charging the Gun without any problems.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
I got three quarters of the way through DMC5 and just stopped playing. The environments suck and the character swapping gimmick is beyond terrible, you need dozens of hours to even get used to Dante's moveset and you play it for a third of the game. I'll take Bayonetta 1 over it any day.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 13:28 on Mar 18, 2023

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

No Wave posted:

I got three quarters of the way through DMC5 and just stopped playing. The environments suck and the character swapping gimmick is beyond terrible. I'll take Bayonetta 1 over it any day.

The insta-kill QTEs gimmick is much more fun than occasionally switching up playstyles.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Jack Trades posted:

The insta-kill QTEs gimmick is much more fun than occasionally switching up playstyles.
Yeah I'll never get the 10 seconds of my life back those QTEs took from me.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

No Wave posted:

Yeah I'll never get the 10 seconds of my life back those QTEs took from me.

Except that counts as a death for the purposes of ranking and also makes the cutscenes unskippable because you gotta QTE them every time.

inb4 "rank doesn't matter", the whole game is literally built around that system.

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.

Fat Samurai posted:

I've been playing La Mulana OG lately, I've mostly done two areas and killed a boss, and I'm having a blast. Maybe the puzzles will get more obtuse as I go, but so far they are manageable with copious note taking and map making.

So if anyone is on the fence and enjoys that kind of thing, it's 3 bucks on steam right now.
the puzzles do eventually get to be a bit obtuse even with copious note taking and map making yeah, but it's still one of the best games ever made

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

There’s one specific set of puzzles that even knowing how you’re supposed to figure them out I don’t think I ever would have on my own but taking notes let me solve 95% of La-Mulana by me self eventually and it felt pretty great. Even cooler that since I have the memory of a goldfish I can replay it sometime and get most of the experience again because I remember none of the solutions except the one set I looked up.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
I'll offer my apparently contrarian opinion and say that Exoprimal being a race actually owns, it's really fun and completely novel, and there's no shortage of good "kill waves of weak enemy" fully pve games. Honestly I was really shocked to see people saying they wrote it off for that reason, the race makes it feel fresh and snappy.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Countblanc posted:

I'll offer my apparently contrarian opinion and say that Exoprimal being a race actually owns, it's really fun and completely novel, and there's no shortage of good "kill waves of weak enemy" fully pve games. Honestly I was really shocked to see people saying they wrote it off for that reason, the race makes it feel fresh and snappy.

Based on some feedback that I've heard from people that tried the beta, it seems like the big issue is that the game is split into several parts where you alternate between PvE and PvP but if you fall behind in the PvE sequence then you're at a big disadvantage in the PvP part and there's basically no reasonable way for you to catch up anymore, leading to matches where you know you're going to lose way in advance but can't do anything about it.
At least that's what I've heard from the Beta players. Haven't tried it myself.

Personally I'm really doubting a development team being able to make a PvP and a PvE gamemode that both feel good to play. I don't think I can name a single game that managed to achieve that. It's always either a good PvP mode with a bad PvE mode or vice verse.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
I admit I've only played around 10 matches so I don't have a full vision yet, but I think you'd have to fall REALLY far behind, more than I've seen, for that to be the case. The game has its own version of Blue Shells for the slower team to cash out on, stuff like increasing the next wave size of the opponent or a temporary stat boost. Not to say every losing team will bring it back in the 11th hour, sometimes you fall behind just because your team is worse and just... continues to do worse, but I've both been on the giving and receiving end of comebacks.

Matches are also super fast, like 8-10 minutes, so losing doesn't really sting. The exception is the game mode where you gather energy batteries, which took 22 minutes the one game I played and I hope that gets normalized to be faster.

E: I think what I like most about Exoprimal being a race/fight is that it manages to do it without feeling like the game is trying to be an e-sport or whatever. Like it feels weirdly like someone took the multiplayer competitive minigames from old 90s era console games and made them into a fully featured game - it's fast and silly and flashy, and not at all like it's trying desperately to make the player feel like poo poo when their team is bad (or worse, they are). It feels competitive without being Competitive, idk.

Countblanc fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Mar 18, 2023

AfricanBootyShine
Jan 9, 2006

Snake wins.

err posted:

if i liked elden ring would i like sekiro? i think i remember reading it relies on timed parries way more than the other games and i never parried in elden ring and found it hard to do.
Thing about Sekiro is that you have to be good at parrying. There is no way around it. Honestly there aren't any good comparisons (maybe Wo Long but I only played the demo). Even Metal Gear Rising is more relaxed when it comes to parrying. IIRC there are only two bosses that require it and it's quite forgiving with them, while with Sekiro you'll run into trash that you have to parry to get past.

Buy it and see how you feel in the two hour window. If it doesn't seem enjoyable by that point, refund it-- It's not like FromSoft or Activision are hurting for money.

AfricanBootyShine fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Mar 18, 2023

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
The parrying mechanic in Sekiro is so different from parrying in other games that it ought not to even be called that. It's not the high risk, high reward deflection and riposte like it is in the other From games. You just have to block the blows at the right time to inflict poise damage and not receive poise damage yourself. It's not easy by any means but it is definitely possible to go from being dogshit and dying constantly to beasting through the game in a few hours without dying on NG+4 without being a superhuman gamer.

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

The timing window on parrying in Sekiro is, IIRC, precisely one second, so it's not exactly tight. I think the parry window in Elden Ring is, what, four frames?

Sekiro does lower your parry frames if you hit the button more than once in a short period of time, though, so your options are either 'press the button once in the general time the enemy is hitting you' or 'press the button several times, but then you see the enemy is actually about to hit you so you press it at the exact right time'

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
IIRC the base parry window is 30 frames, so half a second, and it gets reduced each time you release the block button without blocking a hit, before resetting after another 30 frames. Basically you have a half-second of leeway to parry early. The more important thing is matching the intervals between the hits. Once you start deviating from the pattern, you're more likely to block outside the window and you'll start taking posture damage.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

monster sanctuary looks hella charming, anybody played it? Are the combat mechanics well designed and surprising and challenging and engaging?

tripwood
Jul 21, 2003

"Cuno can see you're trying to shit him, but Cuno's unshittable, so fuck does Cuno care?"

Hint: He doesn't care.

Mescal posted:

monster sanctuary looks hella charming, anybody played it? Are the combat mechanics well designed and surprising and challenging and engaging?

It's fun. Great graphics, good controls. But it kinda gets long in the tooth near the end. There are so many monsters and they are almost all viable. They all have unique tech trees, weaknesses and strenghts. I ended up making a monster team that was so good that I never had to swap them out and every encounter became very easy, much like Pokémon. The combat plays a lot like SMT with chain reactions too so that's great.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

I also jumped on Contraband Police during the sale, and so far I'm really liking it. Like people said upthread, it's basically Papers Please in 3D, in a good way. The main difference so far seems to be that it's much more forgiving, I don't have to nearly scrimp as hard with money as I did in PP, so there's not really any incentive to ever let yourself get bribed even when you miss one on occasion.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

tripwood posted:

The combat plays a lot like SMT with chain reactions too so that's great.

haven't played it, do you mean like in the demon tactics game where you throw your penguins and crazy poo poo can happen?

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.

Mescal posted:

haven't played it, do you mean like in the demon tactics game where you throw your penguins and crazy poo poo can happen?

That’s disgaea

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

No Wave posted:

I got three quarters of the way through DMC5 and just stopped playing. The environments suck and the character swapping gimmick is beyond terrible, you need dozens of hours to even get used to Dante's moveset and you play it for a third of the game. I'll take Bayonetta 1 over it any day.

I get Dante being overwhelming, but they only give him 2 melee weapons and 2 guns at the start for a reason. It doesn't take that much labbing to at least get good with one of his weapons, and you can lean on that for your entire playthrough if you want.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Tarezax posted:

I get Dante being overwhelming, but they only give him 2 melee weapons and 2 guns at the start for a reason. It doesn't take that much labbing to at least get good with one of his weapons, and you can lean on that for your entire playthrough if you want.
I was being overly provocative. DMC5 is a game that's very confusing to me because I'm not totally allergic to action games but I could not enjoy it (despite it being obviously the best action game ever obviously). I think the structure of it doesn't make sense unless you have experience in both DMC3 and DMC4, at which point you can enjoy it from the start.

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

err posted:

if i liked elden ring would i like sekiro? i think i remember reading it relies on timed parries way more than the other games and i never parried in elden ring and found it hard to do.

The big difference between Sekiro and the other Souls games is that the other games all give you options on how you deal with a road block - even if that’s just going away and levelling up a bit, choosing a different weapon or summoning help. The Souls games are hard but they do provide a helping hand. Elden Ring is probably the most accommodating of this given the size of the open world.

Sekiro expects you to git gud and doesn’t give a poo poo if you can’t. You can’t level your way through or bring a friend to help you out. You either learn and master the parry system or you don’t. And there are mid-game bosses specifically designed to be skill checkpoints to test your progress with that. Sekiro is a phenomenal videogame but I think it’s fundamentally the hardest of the recent From games by design.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Mescal posted:

It's really cute and engaging. The talent trees for each monster means you could even run two the same and they'd work totally differently. I like it a lot.