Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Volte posted:

Tunic is also on Game Pass if you are so inclined. You can also buy Game Pass games for 20% off if you have a sub if you don't mind owning it via MS Store. They fixed the stupid way games were locked down and unmoddable (barring certain publishers that insist on it and I think some older games, so check first if it matters to you) so it's not nearly as bad these days.

TY for the tip! I’ll look into it…I always figured my limited internet (4G) would make “temporary” time-limited games + lots of downloading games just to “try out” a non-starter for my situation. I

’m always super jealous when seeing folks talk about dl’ing large demos randomly just for fun, because anything over like 8gb is an overnight job. It took me a like 4 days of off-and-on maxing my bandwidth to do Vermintide2 during the freebie, for instance, same with Warzone2 on Battle.net. Thank God at least it’s unlimited and the latency is fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

The 7th Guest posted:

not aiming is why i found vampire survivors incredibly boring and dull

with the spring sale going on i guess i should start cracking into all of these demos i've downloaded (it's a triple digit number, and the first number is not 1)

Some of the demos are timed, which is horseshit

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Xander77 posted:

There's no reason to buy RDR2 Ultimate, right? Seems like everything is cosmetic \ online only?

Ye it's like the limpest pre order bonus poo poo ever.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Some of the demos are timed, which is horseshit
that's why i've instead been going through the entire Steam demo list the past couple of weeks and downloading/earmarking demos so I have more luxury of time (and also why i have so many downloaded). i've gone from # to T to this point, so i just have a few more letters to complete my list. and then i guess i'll focus on stuff that's out now so I can maybe make some spring sale purchasing decisions

e: what i mean is, just hitting enter in the steam search, checkmarking demo, sorting by title, then just scrolling down the near infinite waterfall of existing demos, which means i get stuff from the last couple of demo fests, stuff that's been around for a couple of years, and then demos of some stuff that has been on Steam since like 2008 (lol). this has been interesting for me because i get to see stuff that got abandoned, stuff i've never heard of that is still on the way, and stuff i've never heard of that already is out (most of which have less than 15 reviews on Steam).

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Mar 17, 2023

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Remnant 2 has a broad release window now, and a dog.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ujJl1oWiJH8

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

TIL there's an upcoming game called Videoverse that is a visual novel inspired by Wii U Miiverse

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

DerekSmartymans posted:

:grumble:
Tunic not on sale
:grumble:

I slam-bought it at release and felt that it was worth its full price. It's very polished.

Give it a go using the refund window, it has maybe ~20 hours of content for the first playthrough and the first 3/4ths of that are exactly like the initual couple of hours, so it's a good gauge of whether you'd like it.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

As an old man who is bad at games keep in mind that Tunic is very hard (unless they ever patched in difficulty options).

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

FuzzySlippers posted:

As an old man who is bad at games keep in mind that Tunic is very hard (unless they ever patched in difficulty options).

Tunic has a god mode where you don't take damage.

nominal
Oct 13, 2007

I've never tried dried apples.
What are they?
Pork Pro

KazigluBey posted:

Boneraiser Minions

this game owns and I can't even put my finger on why

like, the graphics are kind of terrible (it helps a lot if you turn on outlines for your character and enemies, otherwise it gets hard to tell what is happening sometimes), the jokes are DEFINITELY terrible (I think intentionally so?), and the meta progression is so trivial that it might as well not exist but somehow it all comes together into a package that I really enjoy and can't stop playing

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

The Steam store really wants me to buy this game.

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

What game? :confused:

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Idk what Tunic is, but I was hoping Tharsis was on sale and it isnt

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

The 7th Guest posted:

that's why i've instead been going through the entire Steam demo list the past couple of weeks and downloading/earmarking demos so I have more luxury of time (and also why i have so many downloaded). i've gone from # to T to this point, so i just have a few more letters to complete my list. and then i guess i'll focus on stuff that's out now so I can maybe make some spring sale purchasing decisions

e: what i mean is, just hitting enter in the steam search, checkmarking demo, sorting by title, then just scrolling down the near infinite waterfall of existing demos, which means i get stuff from the last couple of demo fests, stuff that's been around for a couple of years, and then demos of some stuff that has been on Steam since like 2008 (lol). this has been interesting for me because i get to see stuff that got abandoned, stuff i've never heard of that is still on the way, and stuff i've never heard of that already is out (most of which have less than 15 reviews on Steam).
A lot of demos out during like, the demo events will stop letting you launch them when the event is over, if you haven't noticed.

kazil posted:

Tunic has a god mode where you don't take damage.
Also eventually patched in something between "normal full difficulty" and "you are literally impossible to harm". After I finished so I'm not entirely sure what it does, but it's there now.

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...

Xander77 posted:

There's no reason to buy RDR2 Ultimate, right? Seems like everything is cosmetic \ online only?

Yeah I don't think it adds anything significant.

A good poster
Jan 10, 2010

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

I can't see what game you're referring to.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

I almost certainly won’t play this game but I respect that they let someone make it

https://twitter.com/mightykeef/status/1636557497656811520?s=46&t=IW0MSOWK0Lh4VsB3wVLoOA

Weedle
May 31, 2006

A good poster posted:

I can't see what game you're referring to.

i am seeing three ads stacked top to bottom for wwe 2k23

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Hmmm Prodeus is on sale. I'd been waiting to see if they give an option for a better/more traditional respawn system but frankly there hasn't been and evidence that they're planning to update the game at all (last and only minor patch was in September) so maybe I just get it now?

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING

Weedle posted:

Weird. I can't see it. :shrug:

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

I see a schooner

Agnostalgia
Dec 22, 2009

Weedle posted:

lol

Smithwick
Jun 20, 2003
I can’t see the sailboat :(

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

In love with the look of this thing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l3NifGK7HfM

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

I got into my car and ate my chalupa with a feeling of accomplishment.

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

I can't see this image.. sorry

e:fb

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

drat yeah looks like Dore woodcuts. Gorgeous.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I have no idea if it's controversial, but by and large I don't think From-games fights against really big guys are very good. You're mostly stuck hacking away at their feet, usually barely unable to fully see when they're about to land a hit.

Exception being Sekiro because that game is near perfect and even then I never bothered beating the Demon of Hatred because it was the most Soulslike big guy fight.

FutureCop
Jun 7, 2011

Have you heard of Fermat's principle?

Mordja posted:

I have no idea if it's controversial, but by and large I don't think From-games fights against really big guys are very good. You're mostly stuck hacking away at their feet, usually barely unable to fully see when they're about to land a hit.

Exception being Sekiro because that game is near perfect and even then I never bothered beating the Demon of Hatred because it was the most Soulslike big guy fight.

I think that's commonly agreed-upon, or so I would hope. Elden Ring almost rectified this by having the horse available for big monster fights which gave it a fresh perspective, but then they lock the horse away from you for several big monster fights where it would've been nice, so a bit of a wasted opportunity there as you're back to clipping their toenails and trying to figure out what attack their ankle twitch signifies. Elden Ring also did a pretty good job at zooming the camera out for the serpent boss fight, but that was mostly because it gives you a big gimmick spear with super large range, so it's not the norm, unfortunately.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Mordja posted:

this is not controversial but it wasn't actually a common kind of enemy before elden ring.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!

Anno posted:

I almost certainly won’t play this game but I respect that they let someone make it

https://twitter.com/mightykeef/status/1636557497656811520?s=46&t=IW0MSOWK0Lh4VsB3wVLoOA

What in the actual gently caress? They all have physics interactions too. That is insane.

Exoprimal looks like the lovechild of EDF and Lost Planet 2. It may very well be the best game ever made.

Attack on Princess fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Mar 18, 2023

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Exoprimal would be a great game if they didn't insist that it had to be PvP(vE) for some reason.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!
Aw, that's disappointing.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Yea I was so excited for that game until they announced you're racing another squad or some dumb crap like that.

Wonder what they'll do when the population drops and you can't fill out a party.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
It's a shame that Exoprimal is probably doomed to the GAAS landfill because it's so delightfully stupid.

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

Sab669 posted:

Yea I was so excited for that game until they announced you're racing another squad or some dumb crap like that.

Wonder what they'll do when the population drops and you can't fill out a party.

the servers will be dead within a year or two like every live service battle pass game that isn't marketed toward children like fortnite and call of duty are

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Weedle posted:

lmao

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...
if i liked elden ring would i like sekiro? i think i remember reading it relies on timed parries way more than the other games and i never parried in elden ring and found it hard to do.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Anno posted:

I would be much more into it if it were literally a technically competent EDF game but it's apparently just Destiny Gambit mode with dinosaurs with the most stable framerate of all time

holy goddamn

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Owl Inspector posted:

this is not controversial but it wasn't actually a common kind of enemy before elden ring.

Dark Souls 1 alone had plenty??

Though ironically I thought Elden Ring did better at it just by giving huge enemies more body language and tells so even if the camera is still inevitably hosed you can still pick up on a lot of what, say, ulcerated tree spirits are about to do.

err posted:

if i liked elden ring would i like sekiro? i think i remember reading it relies on timed parries way more than the other games and i never parried in elden ring and found it hard to do.

Sekiro is much more easily comparable to Metal Gear Rising. The entire game is about parrying. But it also works completely differently from Souls-style parrying (in fact the whole combat system is pretty different) so I'm not sure you can make a call based on just Souls experience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010

err posted:

parrying is a lot easier in sekiro when you realize you can just mash the block button and sometimes it works (and when it doesn't you're still regular blocking). it's a crutch but an effective one for when you're starting out. Once you're good at sekiro parries it opens up the world of all fromsoft game parries and suddenly you'll feel like a god with a buckler. Imo give it a shot. you'll know within the refund window if its your thing or not.