Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

gradenko_2000 posted:

Walked over 23,000 steps today.

Walking ftw

hellyeah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

https://www.cbsnews.com/philadelphia/news/plan-would-refund-50-of-road-tolls-for-pennsylvanians/

quote:

Plan would refund 50% of road tolls for Pennsylvanians

HARRISBURG, Pa. (CBS) -- Another Turnpike toll increase would be no surprise for Pennsylvanians. After all, tolls have risen 15 years in a row, including 5% annually in recent years.

But a 50% toll refund?

"This idea – it's one I've had for awhile, actually, but it's becoming ever more important," State Sen. Steve Santarsiero (D-Bucks) said of Senate Bill 419, which would refund 50% of tolls on the Turnpike plus bridges over the Delaware River – up to a $500 maximum each year – to Pennsylvania residents and companies.

The refund would come via a tax credit. Pennsylvania residents and companies would have to show proof, such as E-ZPass receipts, by Sept. 15 each year for the previous calendar year.

lol just straight up paying people to drive on an optional superhighway

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
we call the helmet scolds and they are the worst

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

I dunno about that, it's pretty lovely if you ask me.

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Funny anecdote for the car hate thread or the lmao at police thread but we don’t have one of those. Was jogging and entered an intersection and had to cold stop when I realized the pretty new looking Lexus approaching wasn’t going to stop behind the stop sign. They did stop, abruptly, like halfway into the intersection, but I think it’s because they realized a police cruiser was right behind them.

Anyway they turned left and the cruiser went straight.

Lmao countless pages of ink spilled lately on pedestrian deaths being through the roof but the solution is clearly sweeping homeless encampments and not enforcing basic traffic laws :)

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

HashtagGirlboss posted:

Lmao countless pages of ink spilled lately on pedestrian deaths being through the roof but the solution is clearly sweeping homeless encampments and not enforcing basic traffic laws :)

I'm reading some stuff on local social media where a guy is insisting that we're in the middle of a homeless-driven crime spree and the cops are lying and saying there's less crime than there is, because if the crime meter gets too high they get fired.

because I guess cops are actually accountable and crime numbers are like sales numbers. if the cops don't do enough crime stopping in a month they get let go.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Now that's an incentive model I could work with: the less work I do (discovering crime) the better I'm doing? I would be a loving great cop, just not seeing people shoplifting all day.

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
I had to drive around and do a bunch of errands across the city and countryside today - first time I've driven in months.

I'm part of a co-op where I can rent cars from any given location, and I have a few within walking distance of me - SUVs, compacts, etc.

All cars must be destroyed, but perhaps shared co-op ownership might be acceptable.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
pretty sure NYC cops were well known for trying to get people to not report crimes so that they could claim they were keeping the crime rate down

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
My favorite movie idea is the NYPD acts very badly while apprehending a minor criminal and to keep him from telling his story they send him to "work" at their satellite office in Australia and there he somehow gets enmeshed in stupid Australian crime

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

HashtagGirlboss posted:

Funny anecdote for the car hate thread or the lmao at police thread but we don’t have one of those. Was jogging and entered an intersection and had to cold stop when I realized the pretty new looking Lexus approaching wasn’t going to stop behind the stop sign. They did stop, abruptly, like halfway into the intersection, but I think it’s because they realized a police cruiser was right behind them.

Anyway they turned left and the cruiser went straight.

The sign says STOP it doesn't say WHERE or WHEN checkMATE.

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

Was behind a car today where it was clear the driver was looking everywhere except the road. Eyes constantly going up and down, randomly wandering out of the lane before jerking back across, slowing down and speeding up completely out of sync with traffic, leaning across to the passenger seat to do something. Several times they just kinda wandered to the side of the lane and then stopped for no reason at all, like they were trying to park but there was no parking spot and they weren't indicating, before driving off again.

I'm sure they do this poo poo day in day out and have literally never been pulled over for it.

Steen71
Apr 10, 2017

Fun Shoe

BonHair posted:

Is this some American freedom thing where big government should not make you do anything even if it's in your best interest? Because honestly, using a helmet on your bike is a pretty good idea in my opinion, on account of you can actually get serious brain damage if you fall.

Considering that of the approximately 1,200 Danes who die from head injuries every year, less than 1% are cyclists, it's kinda strange to only wear a helmet for cycling. At the very least, we should be urging all drivers and old people to wear helmets too.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Steen71 posted:

Considering that of the approximately 1,200 Danes who die from head injuries every year, less than 1% are cyclists, it's kinda strange to only wear a helmet for cycling. At the very least, we should be urging all drivers and old people to wear helmets too.

A lot of us use helmets though, so we don't actually get the injuries.
As I see it, wearing a helmet is very little bother and not very expensive* and cycling does carry greater risk than walking or whatever. It's just that not cycling is more than a hundred times more common as an activity than cycling.

*Unless you want it to be

Steen71
Apr 10, 2017

Fun Shoe
Oh, I had a fun experience yesterday. I'm riding down the bike lane of this one way street (one way for cars, dual way for bicycles) [black arrow] and a woman driving a car comes out of the side street and turns left against the correct direction [red arrow], and in order to avoid the cars coming against her, she drives unto the bike lane almost hitting me. As she continues, I shout at her to stop and back up her car. I manage to get her to stop and ask her what the hell she's doing. She opens the door and says "What's your loving problem?"

Me: "MY problem? You're going against the direction! And you're driving in the bike lane!"
Her: "So what? You wanna fight?"
Me: "What the hell are you talking about? I want you to go back! Can't you see the cars coming the other way?"

Then some white knight starts shouting at me from the park [to the left] that she didn't do it on purpose and "leave her alone, you loving bum!" And at this point I realise that I'm a loving idiot for trying to interfere with car-brained morons, that I'm liable to get myself hurt, and I get back on my bike and the hell out of there. I think what really pushed me over the edge is the fact that this was the third driver in a week I've seen going against directions on this street.

Incidentally, the woman didn't look a day over 20, and she was driving a Mercedes S-class. I've been thinking a lot about guillotines these last 24 hours.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Sounds like you left her with two too many mirrors.

Steen71
Apr 10, 2017

Fun Shoe

BonHair posted:

The fatality/injury rate is pretty much the same for the Netherlands where basically no one wears helmets. And helmets don't seem to have made much difference to fatalities in competitive cycling.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

BonHair posted:

As I see it, wearing a helmet is very little bother and not very expensive* and cycling does carry greater risk than walking or whatever. It's just that not cycling is more than a hundred times more common as an activity than cycling.

*Unless you want it to be
Wearing a helmet is a huge pain in the rear end if you're just trying to use a bike to get around. You have to deal with your helmet at your destination, you can't just leave it with your bike, you have to figure out where to store it. And bike racks don't have anyplace to lock them up.

If you're just riding a bike to ride a bike, it's whatever, but if you want to popularize bike riding, you can't just count on people who want to ride bikes to ride bikes.

Ham Equity has issued a correction as of 12:57 on Mar 18, 2023

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Steen71 posted:

Oh, I had a fun experience yesterday. I'm riding down the bike lane of this one way street (one way for cars, dual way for bicycles) [black arrow] and a woman driving a car comes out of the side street and turns left against the correct direction [red arrow], and in order to avoid the cars coming against her, she drives unto the bike lane almost hitting me. As she continues, I shout at her to stop and back up her car. I manage to get her to stop and ask her what the hell she's doing. She opens the door and says "What's your loving problem?"

Me: "MY problem? You're going against the direction! And you're driving in the bike lane!"
Her: "So what? You wanna fight?"
Me: "What the hell are you talking about? I want you to go back! Can't you see the cars coming the other way?"

Then some white knight starts shouting at me from the park [to the left] that she didn't do it on purpose and "leave her alone, you loving bum!" And at this point I realise that I'm a loving idiot for trying to interfere with car-brained morons, that I'm liable to get myself hurt, and I get back on my bike and the hell out of there. I think what really pushed me over the edge is the fact that this was the third driver in a week I've seen going against directions on this street.

Incidentally, the woman didn't look a day over 20, and she was driving a Mercedes S-class. I've been thinking a lot about guillotines these last 24 hours.

It's good to see the danes aren't above this behavior.

Oh wait, bad. It's bad

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

You can lock your helmet with your bike though?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

eXXon posted:

You can lock your helmet with your bike though?

lol yeah leave something that goes on your head at the mercy of passers by

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

I always just leave my helmet in my basket/child seat/handlebars with no lock, never been stolen. The kind of people who steal poo poo from bikes are not the types to use helmets, and no one wants to buy a used helmet, so their resale value is low.

Also i used to work right next to that place in the picture, and let me tell you that there is zero reason to drive a car there. Doesn't stop idiots though.

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

lol in my city, your bike has to be double locked and anything not screwed in secured or it will will be stolen. I just wear my helmet into the shops so simple

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Real hurthling! posted:

You put the lock through the triangle made by the front and back of the chin strap on each side and it's impossible to steal without cutting them, which renders the helmet useless and worthless. Granted some idiot might do it anyway but then just carry it or strap it to your backpack shoulder strap. This isn't some amazingly difficult problem to solve.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

will be driving aorudn twon today

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

AnimeIsTrash posted:

will be driving aorudn twon today

traffic is going to be terrible today. good luck. even you could probably outrun the average speed with all the closures and two big games.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Real hurthling! posted:

I've had my bike hosed with a bunch, seat unbolted and stolen and all that , but no one has ever touched my helmet I hang off the lock.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

this mfer said twon

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
I will say that the rise of bikeshare was funny in how it dealt with helmets: the scolds were outraged about the lack of them and everyone else just said who gives a poo poo and it worked out fine

The bigger problem is the bikeshare bikes have bells on them that the idiots riding ring incessantly because they're too timid to shout about what they're worried about

mystes
May 31, 2006

mastershakeman posted:

The bigger problem is the bikeshare bikes have bells on them that the idiots riding ring incessantly because they're too timid to shout about what they're worried about
just ring the bell constantly while riding to express your unhappiness about the lack of bike infrastructure

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

mawarannahr posted:

traffic is going to be terrible today. good luck. even you could probably outrun the average speed with all the closures and two big games.

theres more to the city than just the white parts

cool av
Mar 2, 2013

Blackhawk posted:

Was behind a car today where it was clear the driver was looking everywhere except the road. Eyes constantly going up and down, randomly wandering out of the lane before jerking back across, slowing down and speeding up completely out of sync with traffic, leaning across to the passenger seat to do something. Several times they just kinda wandered to the side of the lane and then stopped for no reason at all, like they were trying to park but there was no parking spot and they weren't indicating, before driving off again.

I'm sure they do this poo poo day in day out and have literally never been pulled over for it.

this is how everyone should drive. we've made driving so fuckin' efficient and everyone is the worse off for it.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

AnimeIsTrash posted:

theres more to the city than just the white parts

I was trying to scare you idk I just looked at the wsdot

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I only wear a helmet because I have to share the street with homicidal drivers. We do have some pretty massive hills though that you can't help but go fast down, and I think a helmet is a good idea for those.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

BonHair posted:

Is this some American freedom thing where big government should not make you do anything even if it's in your best interest? Because honestly, using a helmet on your bike is a pretty good idea in my opinion, on account of you can actually get serious brain damage if you fall.

have you considered america might be too racist for such a law?
King County repeals mandatory bicycle helmet law

www.seattletimes.com posted:

By
In the face of data showing enforcement has been both minimal and has disproportionately affected people of color and those experiencing homelessness, the King County Board of Health voted Thursday to repeal its decades-old mandatory helmet law for bicycle riders. The repeal goes into effect in 30 days.

The board, made up of elected officials and medical experts from cities across the county, voiced its support for the voluntary use of helmets, passing a resolution encouraging riders to don the protective gear. But board member and King County Councilmember Joe McDermott said there are other ways of encouraging helmet use that do not rely on law enforcement, including educational campaigns and free helmet distribution. The Metropolitan King County Council recently budgeted more than $200,000 to buy helmets and expand education.

“Helmets save lives, full stop. But the disproportional enforcement of the requirement gives us concern” about how it affects people who are homeless and communities of color, McDermott said before the vote.

But recent data connecting helmet laws to their use and improved outcomes for cyclists is less clear. In Seattle, helmet use among riders of private bikes is as high as 91%, according to one study. Meanwhile, in Portland, which does not have an all-ages helmet law, one study found use is similarly high. A study in King County could not find any discernible impact on hospitalization rates following the law’s expansion into Seattle in 2003, although severity of injuries did decrease around the same time.

“When the Board of Health first adopted a helmet mandate, helmets weren’t part of our social norms and our culture, and so the legal requirements for helmets was new and carried weight,” said McDermott. “But I think societal norms and expectations have changed significantly in the 30 years since.”

The law came up for reconsideration this year after a Crosscut analysis of helmet citations dating back to 2017. That analysis showed that, even as bike sharing has become common, enforcement by Seattle police is minimal. When the law was used to issue a citation, at a cost of $30, nearly half the tickets went to homeless people, raising the concern that it was being used predominantly as a pretext to stop people for something else. In fact, in 2019, a Seattle Municipal Court judge tossed a firearm charge against a man that he received after being stopped for not wearing a helmet, calling the stop an illegal pretext.

A separate analysis from Central Seattle Greenways found that Black riders were roughly four times more likely to receive a citation for not wearing a helmet.

chadbear
Jan 15, 2020

enough helmet chat can we go back to cyclists are a menace to pedestrians chat

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

eXXon posted:

You put the lock through the triangle made by the front and back of the chin strap on each side and it's impossible to steal without cutting them, which renders the helmet useless and worthless. Granted some idiot might do it anyway but then just carry it or strap it to your backpack shoulder strap. This isn't some amazingly difficult problem to solve.

mastershakeman posted:

I've had my bike hosed with a bunch, seat unbolted and stolen and all that , but no one has ever touched my helmet I hang off the lock.

someone is gonna spit or poop in your helmets

mystes
May 31, 2006

chadbear posted:

enough helmet chat can we go back to cyclists are a menace to pedestrians chat
I guess you just don't like people passing you on the left

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
The bike theft rate confuses the poo poo out me considering: america hates bikers and not many people bike meanwhile I left my 100$ fixie I was playing around with just to learn some poo poo about bikes on the side of my place overnight and it disappeared.

Its like losing a sock in the washer. Where are they going?