Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
After 2 years of sorta kinda trying, I learned the rules of chess and can barely edge out the worst maia bot:

Its so much more fun to play than other bots. I wish it didn't have a deterministic opening book and I don't think it understands 3-way repetition, but other than that its really fun to play.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

Aggro posted:

Once you take the bishop, Rf4 sets up a nearly unavailable mate on the h file because the Queen is too far away to help defend. The only move that saves the game is pretty unintuitive.

Oooooh.

I found it after realizing the threat that needed to be stopped, but yeah that's an unusual puzzle!

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
maia1 is very fun to play

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

Salt Fish posted:

maia1 is very fun to play

No accusations of cheating, that'd get a 1 from me on the human scale. (I've never had anyone even use the chat in any of my games)

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Why on chess.com trying to play Daily games, sometimes it gives me a game immediately and sometimes it starts an Open Seek that never actually matches me with anyone? Is there somewhere on the site I'm supposed to be accepting other people's challenges? Should I just delete any seek that doesn't immediately start a game and try again?

How do people have 100s of games going at once? I'm trying to play 10 and half my seeks never match and half my matches never make a move. I feel like I must be misunderstanding a system somewhere.

e: Ah, apparently under custom there's a long list of challenges (including mine, I guess) that I can grab.

Huxley fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Mar 3, 2023

butros
Aug 2, 2007

I believe the signs of the reptile master

If you want a shitton of daily games just sign up for tournaments. You will not go begging.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
OK! There's an U1k thing up currently, I'll just hit the button and see where it goes.

former glory
Jul 11, 2011

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
Neat. Always appreciate a nice underpromotion

former glory
Jul 11, 2011

Salt Fish posted:

After 2 years of sorta kinda trying, I learned the rules of chess and can barely edge out the worst maia bot:

Its so much more fun to play than other bots. I wish it didn't have a deterministic opening book and I don't think it understands 3-way repetition, but other than that its really fun to play.

I'm going to try this out. Sounds like good practice that I won't feel bad bailing on when the kids inevitably toss a crisis on me.

totalnewbie posted:

Neat. Always appreciate a nice underpromotion

I've never had one in a real game yet.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

former glory posted:

I'm going to try this out. Sounds like good practice that I won't feel bad bailing on when the kids inevitably toss a crisis on me.

I've never had one in a real game yet.

I know I'm supposed to be playing 10- and 15-minute games to improve, but it seems like every time I fire one up some emergency flares up and I have to bail or can't give it my full attention.

I've settled on daily and blitz and just getting as good as I happen to get.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

promote the g2 pawn to a knight check, king forced move to h4, knight to f3 check, king forced move back to h3, rook to h2 mate. Is that right?

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Leperflesh posted:

promote the g2 pawn to a knight check, king forced move to h4, knight to f3 check, king forced move back to h3, rook to h2 mate. Is that right?

That works, but there's a faster mate. g1=N 2. Kh4 Rh7#

I've never had a serious underpromotion, although I have occasionally promoted a pawn to a rook for fun when it's mate in one or two.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

oh yeah lol!

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

https://lichess.org/training/bkhBn

Here's a lichess puzzle I found tricky.

I correctly identified the "theme" of the puzzle: Removing the Defender, where driving Black's knight off from the defense of the light square bishop would win a piece. But it looked to me like the goal would be accomplished by either moving BxB first or b4 to attack the knight, I got the correct answer by sheer luck, BxB appealed to me more since it looked like it limited Black's options more. But what I didn't see is that moving in the wrong order allows Black to severely punish White and get the win.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

https://lichess.org/training/ZWMoy

So annoying with the trap line:

1.h6, Bxg5
2. h7, Ra8
3. Rg7, Bf7
4. Rg8, my calculation stops here
missing 4..Nc7

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

SA has a pretty active forums Mafia community, and a chess themed game is starting up that should be new player friendly: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4026551&pagenumber=1

Come play!

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Salt Fish posted:

https://lichess.org/training/ZWMoy

So annoying with the trap line:

1.h6, Bxg5
2. h7, Ra8
3. Rg7, Bf7
4. Rg8, my calculation stops here
missing 4..Nc7

I solved this puzzle according to lichess, but I don't understand what I accomplished? Black can still get his rook to the 8th rank before the pawn can promote, right?

greatZebu
Aug 29, 2004

Leperflesh posted:

I solved this puzzle according to lichess, but I don't understand what I accomplished? Black can still get his rook to the 8th rank before the pawn can promote, right?

Black’s rook is tied down defending your h pawn, you can then push the g pawn and win.

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

greatZebu posted:

Black’s rook is tied down defending your h pawn, you can then push the g pawn and win.

Also hard to spot at a glance but white's rook combined with the black pawn block in the black king from all directions. It takes black too long to reposition the knight or the pawn and king to stop the pawn push.

Carbolic
Apr 19, 2007

This song is about how America chews the working man up and spits him in the dirt to die
Playing in an OTB tournament and was running very low on time in this position as White. While I take consolation in finding the only drawing sequence, I am extremely bummed not to have spotted the only (super fun) winning sequence.

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

Carbolic posted:

Playing in an OTB tournament and was running very low on time in this position as White. While I take consolation in finding the only drawing sequence, I am extremely bummed not to have spotted the only (super fun) winning sequence.

is it underpromote to a knight with check, then use the rook to check on the c file? e7 c1=Q e8=N+ Kc6 Rc7+

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

Carbolic posted:

:haw: That is delightful.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Step 1: Start fight
Step 2: Attack straw man
Step 3: REPEAT

Do not engage with me

That's a fun winning sequence.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Helianthus Annuus posted:

is it underpromote to a knight with check, then use the rook to check on the c file? e7 c1=Q e8=N+ Kc6 Rc7+
this is what i got too and it kicks rear end

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

That is fantastic and it makes me want to do a bunch of chess puzzles.

Here's a situation I just had in a game where I should have been thinking about it more like a puzzle. Can you see what White should do?

(In the end I won anyway because my opponent blew it in an 3v4 pawn endgame)

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Chamale posted:

Here's a situation I just had in a game where I should have been thinking about it more like a puzzle. Can you see what White should do?

am i missing something or is Qxe7#?

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

jesus WEP posted:

am i missing something or is Qxe7#?

As best I can see, that's mate in one, yeah.

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

Chamale posted:

Qxe7#

That's a pretty neat move to win the game in one! I've actually been mostly doing various puzzles on Lichess (pins, forks, hanging pieces, etc.) over playing actual games to build my strength with tactics and identifying movies like the one that's possible here. Also been trying to use Levy's (GothamChess) "Checks-Captures-Attacks" as a template/checklist to avoid missing stuff like this.

BadOptics fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Mar 12, 2023

T.C.
Feb 10, 2004

Believe.
The greatest moment in online chess is when you are playing a short time control and your opponent blunders their queen, they realize, and immediately hit the resign button.

But your brain was already a move ahead so you blitzed out something that didn't take the queen and it registers the move before the resignation happens.

So they get to see it.

big trivia FAIL
May 9, 2003

"Jorge wants to be hardcore,
but his mom won't let him"

T.C. posted:

The greatest moment in online chess is when you are playing a short time control and your opponent blunders their queen, they realize, and immediately hit the resign button.

But your brain was already a move ahead so you blitzed out something that didn't take the queen and it registers the move before the resignation happens.

So they get to see it.

I feel exposed

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

T.C. posted:

So they get to see it.

I simply don't play blitz (but still blunder in rapid occasionally :negative:)

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Has anybody here paid for premium on Chess.com? Was it worth it?

Obfuscation
Jan 1, 2008
Good luck to you, I know you believe in hell
Depends on how you define ”worth it” I guess, technically you can get roughly equal functionality for free on Lichess. I pay for Platinum on chess dot com because I like the game reviews and puzzles there more. (also I pay the old price which is less than what it costs now.)

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Obfuscation posted:

Depends on how you define ”worth it” I guess, technically you can get roughly equal functionality for free on Lichess. I pay for Platinum on chess dot com because I like the game reviews and puzzles there more. (also I pay the old price which is less than what it costs now.)

I'm very new to chess so I''m only really starting to learn. I like the puzzles and think that the game reviews would help me understand the game better.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

computer analysis can be a bit… not useful at the beginner level, since often it boils down to “this was a blunder because after 6 perfect moves (that no pair of 700s will ever play) your queen is trapped”

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Ah so probably not worth it as such a novice level. Thanks.

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

I just use lichess' stuff. It's also useful in that you can filter stuff by game (Blitz/Rapid/Classical) along with rating level.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..
I remember checking chesscom diamond because it was free and deciding it wasn’t worth the bother when I had lichess. I think the big thing membership offers for non-masters are things like video lessons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Lichess also has a nice feature called Studies, which are like annotated games that can be set up as lessons. Can't vouch for the quality of all of them since they are user made, but there's some good stuff in here: https://lichess.org/study