Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
Keys? For Garlaige Citadel? They did away with needing four people for the door?

I know there was a thing from expac #4 that could get you past it by trading a flower, but I didn't know they nerfed it again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fat and Useless
Sep 3, 2011

Not Thin and Useful

MarquiseMindfang posted:

Keys? For Garlaige Citadel? They did away with needing four people for the door?

I know there was a thing from expac #4 that could get you past it by trading a flower, but I didn't know they nerfed it again.

First room on the right down the stairs from the entrance there is a permanent key item on the floor that works for all 3 doors. This is a screwed up age we live in. Next I bet all the wait a real life days will turn into wait one hours or something. Worlds going to hell I tell you what. Kids today with their teleport crystals... We walked dammit, no chocobo!

PurpleXVI posted:

I still look forward to seeing a jRPG church that isn't bad.

:allears:

Fat and Useless fucked around with this message at 11:51 on Mar 4, 2023

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

Fat and Useless posted:

First room on the right down the stairs from the entrance there is a permanent key item on the floor that works for all 3 doors. This is a screwed up age we live in. Next I bet all the wait a real life days will turn into wait one hours or something. Worlds going to hell I tell you what. Kids today with their teleport crystals... We walked dammit, no chocobo!

Ha. I do remember when chocobo prices were entirely based on demand, so catching a chocobo from one of the three primary crags could run you up to like, 4k. Which at the time I'm talking about, was a lot.

Anyway that certainly takes almost all of the sting out of what everyone called Garbage Shittadel. EXPing in front of door #1 would often see people rock up and ask you to do the door for them. Mid fight. And there was always the possibility of losing a party member to a floor hole and them getting eaten by Serket.

Did they nerf the other egregious poo poo? I know QSC has its stone, did they ever fix Horutoto? Is Oztroja less of a pain with memorising levers? Does Beadeaux still have the curse gimmick?

Fat and Useless
Sep 3, 2011

Not Thin and Useful

MarquiseMindfang posted:

did they ever fix Horutoto? Is Oztroja less of a pain with memorising levers? Does Beadeaux still have the curse gimmick?

Three mage gate? No tractor through it with help from a friend behind it, there is a teleport book once you do.

No.

Yes.

Fat and Useless fucked around with this message at 13:15 on Mar 8, 2023

Bmac32
Nov 25, 2012
Oh man, this brings back some memories. Good stuff so far.

Can I put in a vote for seeing Dragoon stuff? That was my main when I played, despite the devs hating the class.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

Fat and Useless posted:

Three mage gate? No tractor trough it with help from a friend behind it, there is a teleport book once you do.

No.

Yes.

The accommodations only get so far then! Although I forgot about the book teleports, they were a thing when last I played.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

MarquiseMindfang posted:

God I loving love this place.

Third best place in the game. That low poly version is kinda funny, though.

It's my favorite endgame zone I think. I like other expansions more for overall content, but this region just has the coolest vibes.

Fat and Useless
Sep 3, 2011

Not Thin and Useful

White Mage

Role: Healing

You are a White Mage!

Main Weapons: Staff and Club

White Mage stuff!

Magic: Divine, Enhancing, and Healing magics. Maybe a Debuff or two.

You get the standard White Mage stuff, Protect, Shell, Regen, Raise, Cure, Holy, Esuna, Reraise. Others get these spells too though, so what makes a White Mage unique?

You and only you can use party wide Curaga, Protectra, Shellra, status effect wards, and debuff removals. You also have access to stronger single target White Magic than anyone else. White Mage also can teleport to various crystals throughout the world once they have touched them once, this was more useful ages ago but still is the shortest way to some places. Oh and remember Red Mage's extra pair of pants spell? Well you do the party wide version of that. Also you have a unique spell called Auspice which in a party AoE reduces how much TP you give an emeny when hitting them. Neato.

Notable Abilities:

Benediction: AoE full heal and status ailment removal. Your one hour ability and it is a good one. Doesn't remove some types of debuffs. With Job points it can restore MP too.

*Divine Seal: Double the next heal's potentcy. With a trait it can also make the next status removal spell AoE instead.

Afflatus Solace: Your first stance. Your single starget cures cause a small stoneskin effect(an HP shield) and your Holy 1/2 become stronger the more you heal between uses. Has some other small effects. Can always be on.

Afflatus Misery: Esuna removes 2 effects and cures more types. If you take damage your Cura spells heal more and your Banish spells hurt more. Also adds Enlight to Auspice.

Martyr: Sacrifice your HP to heal double the amount.

Devotion: Sacrifice your HP to restore MP to a party member.

Sacrosanctity: Reduces party magic damage taken by 75% once.

Asylum: The other one hour. Makes party members basically immune to dispell and debuffs for 30 seconds.

*Can be used on other Jobs when set as a Sub Job

Notable Traits As A Sub Job:

Tranquil Heart: Reduces hate from casting heals. Heals generate a whole lots of angry towards the caster so this is pretty helpful.

Divine Veil: This is only availible for mastered Jobs but allows Divine Seal to remove status aliments in an AoE.

Divine Benison: Also only for mastered Jobs, less hate and faster casting of status ailment recovery magic.

Cool Weapon Skills:

White Mage loves clubs! You get a bunch of cool stuff, lets take a look.

Randgrith: Lowers target's evade for a time.

Mystic Boon: Converts the damage done to MP. All of it.

Dagan: Restores some of your HP and MP based on your max value of HP/MP, no damage on this one.

Realmrazer: Seven Hit attack. Small damage multiplier.
Black Halo: Two hit attack. Big damage multiplier.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
They target different chain elements, both scale off mind, and both can hit like a truck.

Summary:

You heal and keep the party alive, that is your job and only one other Job comes close to you. I have heard tales of good White Mage melee DPS but I am not the person to explain how it is done.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Church of the Dawn Goddess may in fact be shady. Who would have ever suspected dark secrets floating around inside a holy institution? Yeah anyway I'm gonna go poke my nose where it doesn't belong.

I won't pretend I'm a good White Mage. I am going to pretend to be a middling cleric for a bit though.

Lets see if we can find someone who buys it.

He'll do.

Okay but when I get back you gotta tell me some dark church secrets!

I go out to the dunes and find a shade to trounce in some bushes.

This is lame. I'm gonna go bug Prince Pieuje.

How the hell did he get here before me? Also what am I about to get dragged into?

Is this actually a big deal? It's just a bit of undead. Sprinkle some holy water and pray hard.

I just wanted some dark secrets guys. Please just a crumb.

Ah, I see I'm about to be part of a pissing match.

I see what you are doing and I hate it. I go get the stupid holy water in the middle of the stupid bird lever castle. drat my weakness to "rewards".

I'm actually looking for dark church secrets, do you have any of those?

I think this is as good as I'm getting for dark secrets, fine I'll take it.

Ruined... You ruined it...

(There is no visariastare.jpg big enough)

Well, then I go and get a bell...

Ellipsis...

Fine...

Fiiiiine...

Okay! So. This fight sucks.

He has AoE magic and it hurts you dead.

I actually failed this and had to go get a new bell then come back and do it on Dark Knight. He was STILL hard.

Well, that's that. The undead revenge army has been stopped and brotherly love or something happened. Maybe I hate Pieuje a little less now.

Boy do I feel defeated. I did a good deed though. I think. And technically I got a dark secret. Whatever. Forget the church I have other things to do. Important things. Like throwing this clown suit away.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
I'm a bit surprised that the Marquis of Tavnazia is a "conspicuously evil presence" when his reasons for wanting revenge(i.e. being killed because the alliance needed some unwitting bait) seem reasonably legitimate in the grand scheme of spectral things.

Also at first I thought you were just beating up, like, black elves, not ghost elves. They could at least have made them kind of spectral and seethrough or something.

Is there actually a ruined Tavnazia on the world map where you can go hang out and risk getting mugged by monsters?

Fat and Useless
Sep 3, 2011

Not Thin and Useful

PurpleXVI posted:

I'm a bit surprised that the Marquis of Tavnazia is a "conspicuously evil presence" when his reasons for wanting revenge(i.e. being killed because the alliance needed some unwitting bait) seem reasonably legitimate in the grand scheme of spectral things.

Also at first I thought you were just beating up, like, black elves, not ghost elves. They could at least have made them kind of spectral and seethrough or something.

Is there actually a ruined Tavnazia on the world map where you can go hang out and risk getting mugged by monsters?

I'll give Pieuje credit, he tried to fix it for good reasons. Keep in mind this poo poo wrecker of a Maquis laid low 700 foes before he fell somehow. It might be on a test later.

Shades pop up a lot in San d'Oria areas and the Near East. When you first come across them it is very "what they hell are they?" but yeah they are just undead turns out.

We will go to Tavnazia one day soon. We will learn a whole lot about it also soon. The opening movie is in fact Tavnazia and it's fall! The Aldo in the opening movie is not our Aldo as ours still has(?) a sister, weird!

Next Time: A cat shaped roadblock

Fat and Useless fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Mar 9, 2023

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

My cats also like sitting on my keyboard, the adorable little horrors.

IthilionTheBrave
Sep 5, 2013
I had a cat that would like to lie on my desk right below the monitor and grab at my hand as I tried to use the keyboard. She also liked to pretend she was an aloof loner and didn't love me, despite following me around the house and usually hanging out somewhere nearby.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

Putting a cat bed on the table next to the desk was a great advance in computing.

Fat and Useless
Sep 3, 2011

Not Thin and Useful

My cat takes important keys and then makes me go to the Quicksand Caves.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

Fat and Useless posted:

Boy do I feel defeated. I did a good deed though. I think. And technically I got a dark secret. Whatever. Forget the church I have other things to do. Important things. Like throwing this clown suit away.

So even vanilla XI had a bunch of hooded cloaks that take up both the body and head armor slots, and they look pretty decent.

And then they have garbage like this, where they stick a dumb looking cap on you, put a little tan-colored flap on the neck part, and pretend it's a hooded cloak. Don't get me started on the THF AF set...

Bear in mind, White Mage artifact armor is supposed to look like:

Thank goodness the later expansions had better attempts at decent looking armor sets.

IthilionTheBrave
Sep 5, 2013
Notably FFXI never really did anything resembling proper robes, capes, cloaks, etc. At least back when I played. They were heavily held back by PS2 hardware for quite a while. Was it mentioned in the OP that you could play this on a PS2? I think you needed a special hard drive attachment or something, I never actually did it that way.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
PS2 Limitations was the original incarnation of the XIV PS3 Limitations meme.

Fat and Useless
Sep 3, 2011

Not Thin and Useful

There is a SINGLE working PS2 dev kit left and if that dies they can no longer make new content for the game Final Fantasy XI. It's it extremely impressive what they managed to do while being stuck on PS2 for 20 years.

They could emulate a dev kit perhaps but FF11 really needed that mobile remake that died.

Fat and Useless fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Mar 11, 2023

Fat and Useless
Sep 3, 2011

Not Thin and Useful

Chapter 18: Reaching For The Gods

First things first, I want to check on Verena.

Aldo doesn't feel like playing Eald'narche's game anymore. Understandable. I'm glad Verena is okay. She has been through so much since I've met her... And I kinda feel responsible for it...

Next I'm heading to Norg.

In the middle of Zi'Tah there is a set of ancient ruins. They are referred to as Ro'Maeve, Kamui says. They are also referred to as the Temple of Desolation. Lovely.

That is clearly pirate dad speak for don't go near the end of the world buttons.

Of course she protests and gets a stern dad scolding. So no Aldo and no Lion. Who knows where Zeid is, Gilgamesh usually finds him or he just shows up. Guess I'm flying solo on this one.

Ro'Maeve

Yep that's ruins alright. Guess I'll just walk right in.

Well, I'll take the long way I then.

At least we can ride here.

A dry well in front of the main building, something tells me this will be important at some point.

Hall of the Gods

Looks bigger on the inside. Only one way to go.

Crud. At least I have a zoop for here now. Well, when in doubt ask Gilgamesh.

Nevermind, Gilgamesh is useless. Ugggh...

He has no idea where she is. However I do know she is in Rabao, a small desert oasis outpost.

Rabao

Like Mhaura this is actually one of the end game hangouts, filled with various adventurers.

Our girl is by a water pump.

"You know what they say, nothing of value should come for free"

I can't just pay her... I feel like this is Gilgamesh's fault somehow.

"The Quicksand Caves are expansive and have many entrances, but I'm sure you'll figure that out."

Lets actually talk about this now.

This is Western Altepa, every circle is an entrance into the caves. The yellow-green one you'll notice is not on the map. That's the one we need. At the rear end end of the desert. Not on the map. Frick.

Even at level 99 things in here detect and attack by sound so we gotta use sneak to get through here at a reasonable pace.

A pressure plate door we need to pass through, these are all over the Quicksand Caves.

Blindly jump down this giant hole...

At the bottom of the hole we find... a nondescript wall. Exactly what we were looking for I guess.

With that dealt with I find a scrap of Papyrus... GOOD ENOUGH I GUESS!?

More helpful.

Why are they all like this? I'm heading back to Norg before I open the Hall to see if Gilgamesh has found me a Dark Knight.

And of course he isn't around. Outside his office is a fellow who seems to need my help while I wait.

The branch is fuel for the flame, the bomb steel is for melting the iron. His pupils will tell me more.

To gather we need a hatchet or pickaxe, you simply trade it to the spot you want to gather from, it may break on use though.

Here be the ancient tree I need for this katana.

The Bomb Steel I need to trade some Oriental Steel to a spot in a cave in the Konschtat Highlands. This causes a bomb call Forger to spawn, once defeated I can collect the steel.

Back to Norg.

Three whole days(three real hours). Well I can expect Gilgamesh to be back at the end of it. In the meantime Jaucribaix has a katana for me to deliver to someone in Bastok.

Next time: Visaria gets a job, again

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
The Mithra NPC's you interact with all seem to be a combination of mischievous and slightly stoned, a bit absent, not too concerned with the consequences of things, usually focused on something that's important to them but makes your life more complicated.

Just what you need after walking around a quicksand pit and getting attacked by what looks like a giant demonic vase.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
Wait, you can ride in Ro'Maeve? I am like 80% sure you couldn't chocobo through there when I played because I remember standing by the entrance handing out Sneak/Invis to my endgame LS.

fight the invisible thing

Bregor
May 31, 2013

:siren::siren::siren: CLICK THIS loving LINK RIGHT NOW :siren::siren::siren:

FFXI OST is so good. Of course, there are a ton of tracks from the main game and each expansion, so a lot of it is like hunting with a shotgun -- you're gonna get some hits. But when they really nail a moment or a zone with a fantastic track, it's amazing. Some of them still give me goosebumps.

MarquiseMindfang posted:

fight the invisible thing

:yeshaha:

Fat and Useless
Sep 3, 2011

Not Thin and Useful

Mini Adventure 1: The Invisible Weapon

I hate you all

I heard a story about some invisible beastie wandering around Ro'Maeve and I decided to check it out. I don't know what I expected but yeah I found nothing.

"But ain't that the point?"

Yes! What am I suppose to do about this NOTHINGNESS!?

Well lets use our brain. The area is nothing but statues and cursed weapons. So our target has to be one of those I guess, lets look at the map.

Hmm I'm on top of it? But it isn't attacking me?

What if I fight near it?

Nope, doesn't chain to it's friends.

Lets watch it's walk pattern.

It is actually really annoying to catch up to as all the cursed weapons here will attack a level 99 Job. So how does one catch this little bastard?

You pick a narrow spot in its path and cast magic. Cursed weapon type enemies aggro by magic being cast near them as do most arcana type enemies.

It goes down like a chump as I'm way too strong for this place.

It respawns every 21 Earth hours. So why would one care about this? Well back when the level cap was 75 it dropped this:

Pretty freaking amazing for a level 71 non artifact Body piece. Nowadays we have much better at cap and you don't stay at level 70ish long enough to care.

Lets take this time while we have it to go over a few quick things.

In terms of ways to piss off a monster you have:

Sight - If you are in it's cone of vision it attacks, walk behind it and you are fine. Sight is also reduced at night.
Sound - If it hears you it attacks, standing still works or stay reasonable far away
Smell - If it smells you it will not stop chasing you, ever, things can't smell you during weather effects
Hp Loss - If you are damaged undead will attack from further away
Magic - Cast near the enemy and it attacks

On top of this there is true sight and hearing which ignore invisible and sneak. Time of day can also effect things.

In addition some enemies that don't usually attack will attack when you are fighting one of it's type near it.

Sitting down to heal makes everything super angry in a small area, sit with care!

Until level 70 when you are about 20 levels over a monster's level you no longer need to care about sight, smell, or sound. However once you are 71-99 anything level 61 or above WILL still be aggressive always.

This Notorious Monster is pretty unique in that it is invisible and non aggressive so you need to go way out of the way to pull it. A bunch of Jobs simply can't pull it since it needs magic being cast to attack.

Fat and Useless fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Mar 15, 2023

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Huh, does the game play around a lot with different "aggro conditions" for enemies?

Fat and Useless
Sep 3, 2011

Not Thin and Useful

PurpleXVI posted:

Huh, does the game play around a lot with different "aggro conditions" for enemies?

You have:

Sight - If you are in it's cone of vision it attacks, walk behind it and you are fine. Sight is also reduced at night.
Sound - If it hears you it attacks, standing still works or stay reasonable far away
Smell - If it smells you it will not stop chasing you, ever, things can't smell you during weather effects
Hp Loss - If you are damaged undead will attack from further away
Magic - Cast near the enemy and it attacks

On top of this there is true sight and hearing which ignore invisible and sneak. Time of day can also effect things.

In addition some enemies that don't usually attack will attack when you are fighting one of it's type near it.

Until level 70 when you are about 20 levels over a monster's level you no longer need to care about sight, smell, or sound. However once you are 71-99 anything level 61 or above WILL still be aggressive always.

This Notorious Monster is pretty unique in that it is invisible and non aggressive so you need to go way out of the way to pull it. A bunch of Jobs simply can't pull it since it needs magic being cast to attack.

Fat and Useless fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Mar 15, 2023

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Do "hearing" and "smelling" you have a meaningful difference outside of what status counters it? Like, if you stand still and aren't using any skills, are you "silent" and thus can wait for a patrolling monster to pass? Or do you constantly generate sound and "odor"? Are certain actions louder than others? Do you "smell" more in certain situations?

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

PurpleXVI posted:

This is one of the neater implementations of it, but as a quick rundown, there are aggro types and there are tracking types. Mostly these are determined by monster family and monsters can have more than one of these.

Sight is fairly self explanatory, a frontal cone. True Sight is not fooled by the Invisible spell. Orcs and goblins are sight aggro.

Sound is also easy, it's just a radius around the monster. True Sound is not fooled by Sneak. Bats and crabs aggro by sound.

Scent is different, nothing aggros to scent. But monsters track by scent, so a monster you're running away from can follow you even if it loses sight/sound of you. Scent tracking fails if you run across water; the monster will follow the scent trail to the point you crossed the water and then de-aggro as it loses the scent. Deodorize also works, but they will still follow the trail up to where you cast it. Crawlers aggro sound but track by scent, for example.

Magic aggro that was demonstrated in this little adventure. Like it sounds, if you cast a spell near these guys they attack you. Bombs and elementals aggro to magic.

Blood aggro is Low HP aggro. If your HP is 50% or less, so yellow on the HUD, these monsters attack you. Think of it as sound aggro that only activates at low HP. It can be kind of a large aggro radius! Skeletons and ghosts have blood aggro.

Linking is technically a separate behaviour where a monster will join in a fight if it sees/hears a monster of its same family being attacked. They don't have to see the player, so this isn't aggro -- they just have to see/hear a family member in combat.

But yeah, I thought Shikigami was one of the more unique encounters in the game, so it's a nice little thing to show. He also has an interesting origin! Because the internet was always a hive of misinformation, back in 2003-4 or so, there was a rumour spread about a "Faszasher Death Weapon" in Ro'Maeve, which was supposed to spawn every 150 days and be a challenge for 18 level 75 players. As people started saying the rumour was bullshit, the detail of it spawning invisible was added to keep the myth alive. Eventually, datamining put an end to the rumour by showing no such monster existed in the zone data. A year later and Square Enix added Shikigami weapon as an homage to the rumour. Really, the 150 day respawn time should have been the death knell -- NM spawn timers reset every server maintenance, and those were every 90 days or so at that point. A 150 day spawn would literally never spawn.

Fazasher Death Weapon's supposed drops were "Clear Sword" and "Margin Shield". No such items ever existed, naturally.

Shikigami isn't the only NM to be added by SE as a response to player bullshit; in the same update Taisaijin was added. Taisaijin is a reference to a prank played by a japanese player. When the new (at the time) Red Mage spell Refresh was added, nobody could figure out how to acquire the scroll to learn it at first. Upon seeing a japanese player cast the spell, a curious player asked him where he got it. He answered, "I got it off a Taisai", monsters that spawn in Ranguemont Pass. What followed was a rush on the Taisai as people camped them endlessly. Taisai... never dropped the Refresh scroll, of course.

Taisaijin also has a unique-ish spawn mechanic, in that he requires a Taisai to be left alive for 24 real life hours, at which point it will have a chance to despawn and be replaced by Taisaijin. This chance is repeated every subsequent 24 hours.

MarquiseMindfang fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Mar 15, 2023

Fat and Useless
Sep 3, 2011

Not Thin and Useful

PurpleXVI posted:

Do "hearing" and "smelling" you have a meaningful difference outside of what status counters it? Like, if you stand still and aren't using any skills, are you "silent" and thus can wait for a patrolling monster to pass? Or do you constantly generate sound and "odor"? Are certain actions louder than others? Do you "smell" more in certain situations?

You can stand still for sound. Weather effects happening stops smell. Sight is reduced at night for most enemies.

Some enemies have bigger ranges of senses than others. Nothing tells you what something detects by but families usually detect the same way, so a Qudav will usually have sound but not sight.

Also worth noting eventually monsters do get tired of chasing you, NMs do not. The Tremor Ram will hunt you. The Tremor Ram WILL kill you 5 yards from the zone line.

Also sitting down to heal makes EVERYTHING angry in a small area.

Fat and Useless fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Mar 15, 2023

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

I honestly really like these aggro mechanics, and I wish more games played around with stuff like that. Stuff like being able to cross water to lose a scent trail is the sort of thing that makes the map itself important to the player. I like it.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

Fat and Useless posted:

Also sitting down to heal makes EVERYTHING angry in a small area.

Only if it aggros in the first place! You can sit down next to all Ronfaure bunnies you want.

But yeah normally stuff doesn't aggro if you're more than 10 levels above it. Linking and /rest aggro (I think /sit also does this?) bypass this level restriction.

IthilionTheBrave
Sep 5, 2013
A quirk of blood/HP aggro is that, at least when I played, taking a knee to rest and recover HP & MP would also trigger blood aggro regardless of your current HP level. I think some bats would also aggro to resting. And HP and MP did not have passive regen naturally, so a careless player could quickly find themselves swarmed by bats and undead if they try resting in the wrong spot.

Edit: beaten to it, with probably more precise details.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

Hey, you killed the secret invisibile thing! :black101:

The worst part about blood aggro is, based on your gear sets, swapping to an idle or defensive set will jack up your max HP to the point where even if you've taken only modest damage up until that point you will still be at yellow (below 50%) HP after swapping. So you'll end up accidentally being somewhere, fighting things relatively safely, then switch to a gear set that sends a bunch of skeletons or ghosts to you right quick. This used to happen to me a ton in an endgame zone we haven't seen yet, especially on COR where my melee or ranged attack sets had far less max HP than my idle set. :argh:

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

IthilionTheBrave posted:

A quirk of blood/HP aggro is that, at least when I played, taking a knee to rest and recover HP & MP would also trigger blood aggro regardless of your current HP level. I think some bats would also aggro to resting. And HP and MP did not have passive regen naturally, so a careless player could quickly find themselves swarmed by bats and undead if they try resting in the wrong spot.

Edit: beaten to it, with probably more precise details.

Bats also sound aggro, so it was likely that. I'm not actually aware of a mob type that ONLY aggros blood come to think of it. Skellies, ghosts, corses and corpselights all aggro true/sound, hounds, dvergar and vampyrs are true/sight.

Fat and Useless
Sep 3, 2011

Not Thin and Useful

Chapter 19: A Tale Of Blades And Dragons

Three days until Gilgamesh gets back. I'm gonna go deliver this katana to Bastok then head home for a bit.

Bastok

Lets see... This house here in Port Bastok.

I drop the sword off with the fellow in the house and have a chat with his daughter while he signs the papers.

"I just know he's up to something!"

The father returns with the papers and tells the girl not to bother me. The katana must be for Ayame, interesting.

I go turn in the papers and inquire with Kagetora while I'm around.

Screw it. I have 3 days time to stick my nose where it don't belong.

"I hate you! Why won't you tell me the truth!?"

And the she leaves. I could have just went home instead of causing this but I need pathos or I shrivel and die. It's a problem.

If he trades some coral from the Korroloka Tunnel out in Altepa he'll get it back. Problem is he's too weak to take a trip trough the tunnel without being ripped to shreds. Once again I find myself sorta responsible for something and once again I go try and fix it.

Easy.

I feel you are missing some kind of lesson, but yeah, I will.

Back to Bastok.

He hands me a scroll as thanks. It details the secrets of the Ninja, it was his wife's. He assures me Kaede won't need it. She just needs her mother's strong will and spirit, one day she'll choose the path she'll walk. Ensetsu knows in his heart though that someday soon she'll leave for Norg to find that path.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Back in San d'Oria for the first time in what feels like forever.

Heading to my Mog House I hear two fellows talking.

Dragoon? Yeah I'll take that bait, down to the dungeons I go.

That doesn't sound like Rahal...

To the cathedral I guess? I shouldn't be so taciturn, I actually really kinda like history. On an intellectual level this whole Zilart thing is fascinating. I think I might be a nerd. Everyone has their faults.

Teach me about dragons old man.

You can't just walk in and do that Rahal, you know I am gonna have to stick my nose in that.

I have to go excavate the egg to protect it from dragon slayers. They like to kill them when they are young.

I need a pickaxe to dig out the egg. It's in a random sport in the maze, and honestly compared to some of the places I've been I wouldn't call it a maze. Just a cave with a bunch of one way ledges.

Found it!

Guess I'l just stand here with this egg... Why does everyone wander off as soon as I step away?

I mean... Yeah I kinda do. And it's his fault for going off after telling to get the egg...

I arive at the spot egg in tow.

This spot seems warm. This must be the hatchin' spot.

I'm a mom!

I can never have nice things...

Rahal... He killed my baby...

Ah, we are doing a Visaria feels guilty for unknowingly screwing up thing again. Got it. But also hey you killed my baby.

What the hell are you talking about....

He teleports away without answering. Hey Rahal what they hell is he talking about?

Can we fix it Rahal?

Can we fix it Rahal?

That's a yes or close enough for my satisfaction.

Back to San d'Oria. Rahal delivers the baby to a medic and I visit Rahal a bit later after it's sorted out.

Off to the orc stronghold, the spot is the same as where I found the kid.

Time for revenge!

I am sad I'm not allowed to beat Cyranuce to death, but hey it's a baby!

On it coach!

Oh, I see. Yeah I guess that is too late huh?

I bring him down without incident.

Still a bastard til the end.

Uhh hey Rahal...

And now I have a baby dragon!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Back at Norg.

Aww this was Gilgamesh's way of making me stronger, for three days, as we teeter on the edge of the end of the world. Thanks pirate dad. Zeid's waiting at the sealed door for me. I hope you told him about this three day break.

Next time: The darkness within us all

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Giving swords to small children: truly the meaning of adventure.

Fat and Useless
Sep 3, 2011

Not Thin and Useful

Transparency is important and I feel everyone should know I died to a crab. To be fair it was an endgame crab and like 6 of them got pulled. I'm sorry. I apologize.

TGG
Aug 8, 2003

"I Dare."
The quality of this LP is worth us coping with your crab deaths, victory will be yours the next time!

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
Crab gang: "You came to the wrong neighbourhood, motherfucker."

Look all I'm saying is Vana'diel is a dangerous place and you should be careful what alleyways you walk down at night.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

Fat and Useless posted:

Transparency is important and I feel everyone should know I died to a crab. To be fair it was an endgame crab and like 6 of them got pulled. I'm sorry. I apologize.

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Video Games > Let's Play! > Let's Play Final Fantasy 11 --- Visaria 2225, Crabs 1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fat and Useless
Sep 3, 2011

Not Thin and Useful

Bregor posted:

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Video Games > Let's Play! > Let's Play Final Fantasy 11 --- Visaria 2225, Crabs 1

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Video Games > Let's Play! > Let's Play Final Fantasy 11 --- Visaria 4232, Crabs 1

We are about halfway done with Zilart* and I am about halfway done with Chains. I need to work on a new set of Job quests starting with dragoon and probably summoner after that, paladin is done. One day we will get to Treasures and I will actually look forward to Job quests.

Next update has a special guest please look forward to it. The update after that also has the same special guest if I spend 5 minutes to edit the video.

*Minus Bastok and Windurst stories

MarquiseMindfang posted:

Crab gang: "You came to the wrong neighbourhood, motherfucker."

Look all I'm saying is Vana'diel is a dangerous place and you should be careful what alleyways you walk down at night.

We have our first ART. I expect more crab art as we go.

Fat and Useless fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Mar 18, 2023