Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

take_it_slow
Jul 7, 2011

BeastOfExmoor posted:

I don't have a recommendation in that price range, but I would personally avoid bluetooth for a conferencing headset. Bluetooth, in its standard implementations, has a fairly a noticeable amount of latency that will result in the person with a bluetooth headset talking over other people during open discussions. I've seen this a lot. Most wireless headsets use a USB dongle that uses a low-latency codec to solve this issue. This may complicate using them with Linux, but it probably depends on the implementation of the device. There are also some headsets that can use their own dongle or Bluetooth, which would allow you to use it with your iPad a bit more easily.

Thanks, that’s a good point to bear in mind; ideally it’d be easier to just get a good wired headset, but... :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rakeris
Jul 20, 2014

take_it_slow posted:

Hello all, I'm seeking recommendations for someone who needs a good headphone/ microphone combo for zoom calls
  • Budget - The cheaper the better within the requirements; ideally < $150, but if you can point to anything good that meets the requirements, that could be helpful.
  • Source - Either a linux computer or an old iPad; either 3.5mm jack or bluetooth would be fine.
  • Isolation requirements - N/A
  • Preferred type of headphones - Must be over-ear, closed-back, built-in microphone, volume control(not just buttons that alter a computer's system volume, but dedicated, in-line adjustment)
  • Preferred tonal balance - balanced for speech; not very important
  • Past headphones - AKG K721 MKII (kudos to endlessmonotony for the previous rec!) - something in this form factor including a microphone would be ideal
  • Preferred music - speech/ zoom calls
Thanks in advance!

AKG K721 MKII with modmic?

take_it_slow
Jul 7, 2011

This is for someone’s who doesn’t themselves have those headphones, but has used and enjoyed them. That said, I hadn’t considered a mod mix, and it looks like it may be a good approach. Thanks for pointing that out!

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

If you want a good headset get a headset, you can get a Plantronics Voyager Focus variety refurb on eBay for 150 easy. I keep mine right next to some good headphones, it’s worth having both [the Voyagers aren’t bad headphones they’re just not great]

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

2 big new Moondrops broke cover, a mk2 Solis and the god drat Blessing 3 which will not live up to the hype because I'm pretty sure nothing will live up to the hype of something that has to succeed the Blessing 2. Solis looks drat sexy but kinda disappointed in the B3 going with the Kato look.

demostars
Apr 8, 2020
So I'm a dumbass and broke one of my drivers while getting hairs out of my HD600s after it flung across the room because of how stubborn those plastic clips are :( I guess it'd be worthwhile to buy a new driver from Sennheiser since they don't seem too expensive (or at least not as much as getting a new pair would be), but I've been seeing conflicting information about whether or not you should buy two and replace both at the same time. Arguments against say that the drivers aren't matched on a brand new pair anyway and they definitely won't be as individual replacements (but the QC is good enough that you'd never notice a mismatch), but I've also seen people say that they are matched or because they've been made for so long a driver from decades ago just will be fundamentally different than a brand new one. Mine were dated September 2015; what does this thread think?

E: This might be moot because I realized the wire (which isn't replaceable) isn't the problem: one of the two contact springs popped out of the driver on a closer look. I doubt I can find something that tiny but I'll look for it, and if I can't find it I'll see if Sennheiser won't sell me one of those instead.

demostars fucked around with this message at 08:43 on Mar 16, 2023

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
i just auditioned the Blessing 2 Dusk for kicks, very impressive highs and mids

not impressive enough over my iLouds to justify a purchase though

Sorbus
Apr 1, 2010
I ordered apple airpods pro 2's on Tuesday and they arrived yesterday evening (pretty impressive as they shipped from Netherlands and stopped in Belgium and Germany before arriving in central Finland) and I really like these so far. Fit is good and I can't feel them in my ears at all, sound quality is good* and I like the transparency mode when walking through factory yard into my office.

A bit expensive and I haven't yet tested the ANC (I usually listen to Slayer with my Sony WH1000XM3's when vacuuming) but overall happy so far with these.

*not as good as Etymotics ER3XR's though but the lack of wires is nice when outdoors or at the office.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

njsykora posted:

2 big new Moondrops broke cover, a mk2 Solis and the god drat Blessing 3 which will not live up to the hype because I'm pretty sure nothing will live up to the hype of something that has to succeed the Blessing 2. Solis looks drat sexy but kinda disappointed in the B3 going with the Kato look.

You might find that Moondrop is not all that for a ton of people They have issues balancing their treble with bass.. Almost all their iems are too thin sounding. Crin's dusk goes way over the top and is too subbassy. Ive owned the S8, A8, and a lot of their DD sets and don't buy their stuff anymore. It's 'fine' but overpriced by a lot these days. Solis 2 will likely be over $1000 and they can gently caress right off with that poo poo.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

redeyes posted:

You might find that Moondrop is not all that for a ton of people

you would do better just saying "i don't like moondrop, here's why"

you don't need to back it up with the approval of an unnamed "ton of people", just sayin. you're obsessive about iems, you review and dismantle them for kicks, your opinion is informed, even if controversial.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

explosivo posted:

Apparently the Bose QC Buds 2 have had a firmware update that :siren: allows the use of the left bud independently:siren:. The updating on this is so goddamn stupid, it's been available for a week or so now but there's no way to force it to update so I had to take the buds out of the case and back in the case a few times before it started transferring the update. Now I need to wait for the update to transfer to the case so I can put the buds back in the case at which point the update will start... Hopefully this fixes some of the intermittent hitches I've had since getting them. Sometimes the buds fully disconnect while I'm using my PC which causes a very loud POP in my ear before the thing resets and re-connects to whatever device it was attached to. It's extremely unpleasant.

Just wanted to provide an update since I've been in here complaining about these earbuds; this update has actually helped a whole lot with most of my complaints. The disconnects/pops are pretty much entirely gone at this point and it feels way more consistent with the connection in general. Using the left bud now works fine for the most part, sometimes there's still some weirdness where you have to reconnect after putting the right bud in the case but it's nothing terrible. Firmware updates can't fix the buds slipping out of my ear though. I still probably wouldn't recommend these for the price over the newest Galaxy Buds Pros tbh, if I hadn't gotten these as a gift I probably would've asked for a refund long before receiving this update.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

you would do better just saying "i don't like moondrop, here's why"

you don't need to back it up with the approval of an unnamed "ton of people", just sayin. you're obsessive about iems, you review and dismantle them for kicks, your opinion is informed, even if controversial.

Thanks for the advice buttercup. I talk to hundreds of people about IEMs and over the years, probably more than that. Things have evolved in the 'hobby'.

redeyes fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Mar 17, 2023

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

redeyes posted:

Thanks for the advice buttercup. I talk to hundreds of people about IEMs and over the years, probably more than that. Things have evolved in the 'hobby'.

The poster was trying to pay you a compliment, you don’t have to be such an internet person about your relationship with the kinds of earbuds with casings patterned the same as the shirt of a school jazz band instructor

Anyway I just bought some AirPods Pro 2. I still wish they did them in different colours. Going the d brand route seems like a bad idea for something you shove in your ears right?

Lanky Coconut Tree
Apr 7, 2011

An angry tree.

The angriest tree
What's the best choice for ANC earbuds right now? I'm thinking it's a coin flip between the Bose QC Buds2 and the Sony WF XM4s or is there anything that I've overlooked?

Airpods are right out, don't have an iPhone.

edit: just saw the XM4s are on discount to $150

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Lanky Coconut Tree posted:

What's the best choice for ANC earbuds right now? I'm thinking it's a coin flip between the Bose QC Buds2 and the Sony WF XM4s or is there anything that I've overlooked?

Aren’t the Samsung Galaxy Buds supposed to be good now?

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
the galaxy buds 2, not the pro version, are a great deal, good anc, nice playback quality and people don't complain about your voice quality in calls, some useful features like the find my headphones thingie, im very happy with mine.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

Lanky Coconut Tree posted:

People seem to really love those sony earbuds, and that's a very good discount.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

the XM5 earbuds just showed up at the FCC so it's the best time to be looking out for firesales on the XM4s

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

emanresu tnuocca posted:

the galaxy buds 2, not the pro version, are a great deal, good anc, nice playback quality and people don't complain about your voice quality in calls, some useful features like the find my headphones thingie, im very happy with mine.

Yeah Galaxy Buds 2 are the ones to get imo if you're not getting Airpods.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

redeyes posted:

are you modeling your personality after hbb or something? i was trying to pay you a compliment lol jesus.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

repiv posted:

the XM5 earbuds just showed up at the FCC so it's the best time to be looking out for firesales on the XM4s

The over the eat XM5s were a disappointment so it’ll be interesting to see if these are better

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

You think you know about IEMs? I am on at least 10 audiophile discord servers.

frytechnician
Jan 8, 2004

Happy to see me?

njsykora posted:

You think you know about IEMs? I am on at least 10 audiophile discord servers.

Lol, I'm on one and that alone is intolerable 80% of the time

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

qualcomm is finally upstreaming aptx and aptx HD to AOSP so they should be available across the board in future android versions

aptx adaptive will still require manufacturers to pay a license fee though

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

are you modeling your personality after hbb or something? i was trying to pay you a compliment lol jesus.

sorry, i have covid and don't feel that good. Moondrop is not doing that well now for awhile in terms of people really being hyped on price to performance. They are expensive for no good reason. Then we got Stellaris which is a turd, we got their ultra heavy metal shells on the low end DDs, and the upper stuff is good but also expensive as F.

demostars
Apr 8, 2020

demostars posted:

So I'm a dumbass and broke one of my drivers while getting hairs out of my HD600s after it flung across the room because of how stubborn those plastic clips are :( I guess it'd be worthwhile to buy a new driver from Sennheiser since they don't seem too expensive (or at least not as much as getting a new pair would be), but I've been seeing conflicting information about whether or not you should buy two and replace both at the same time. Arguments against say that the drivers aren't matched on a brand new pair anyway and they definitely won't be as individual replacements (but the QC is good enough that you'd never notice a mismatch), but I've also seen people say that they are matched or because they've been made for so long a driver from decades ago just will be fundamentally different than a brand new one. Mine were dated September 2015; what does this thread think?

E: This might be moot because I realized the wire (which isn't replaceable) isn't the problem: one of the two contact springs popped out of the driver on a closer look. I doubt I can find something that tiny but I'll look for it, and if I can't find it I'll see if Sennheiser won't sell me one of those instead.

Update on this: found the spring while carefully searching the pile of dust I swept up, thank god I have hardwood floors in my room. However, I did call Senn and ask about replacing the spring still, and they informed me that the part was discontinued and that they couldn’t sell me an individual spring? Does anyone know what that’s about? If the HD600s were discontinued, it’d make some sense to me. Did they redesign the connection inside the driver to not use these springs anymore?

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Qudelix 5K is doing great. I’ve only popped one pair of cans on my iPad but I’m very happy. Thanks for the rec!

Rahu
Feb 14, 2009

let me just check my figures real quick here
Grimey Drawer

demostars posted:

Update on this: found the spring while carefully searching the pile of dust I swept up, thank god I have hardwood floors in my room. However, I did call Senn and ask about replacing the spring still, and they informed me that the part was discontinued and that they couldn’t sell me an individual spring? Does anyone know what that’s about? If the HD600s were discontinued, it’d make some sense to me. Did they redesign the connection inside the driver to not use these springs anymore?

In the past few years sennheiser moved production from ireland to romania and at the same time slightly changed the design including switching away from the 'marble' texture. I wouldn't be surprised if the old style uses different springs than the new ones.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Branch Nvidian posted:

The pair of Sennheiser HD 560S headphones I ordered arrived today. Bought them sight-unseen based on a friend's recommendation. They sound great and much better than the other over-ears I've used in the past. The only issue I'm having is inside the earcups near the rear each has a little raised "bump" thing. It's fine on my right eat, but my left ear is absolutely touching it and nothing I do to reposition the headphones seems to get it off the edge of my ear. I haven't used them long enough to determine if it'll end up causing discomfort or pain from pushing on my ear yet, but is there are way I'm supposed to wear these that I'm not figuring out, or are there earcup replacements that don't have the bumps/just have more padding to get them off my ear? Is the added cost of replacement cups more than it would be to just step up to something in the 600 series if those by design have large cups that won't press on my ear?

Edit: this is the bump I’m talking about.

I have the 560S as well. Never experienced that bump touching my ear though. If it's causing you grief I'd say they just don't fit you well, which sucks. I'm fond of that pair (its what I used when playing through CP 2077!).

The 600 series pads are quite large but not as massive as some people make them out to be. Width and height maybe. Depth... they're okay most of the time, better if you wear glasses. The key problem they can't accomodate is we humans have all kinds of wonky ears attached to wonky skulls and very few headphones out there can truly make an ear "vanish". Unless you get a full size ye olde heavy Audeze planar. Those things are big and deep.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

The Grumbles posted:

The poster was trying to pay you a compliment, you don’t have to be such an internet person about your relationship with the kinds of earbuds with casings patterned the same as the shirt of a school jazz band instructor

Anyway I just bought some AirPods Pro 2. I still wish they did them in different colours. Going the d brand route seems like a bad idea for something you shove in your ears right?

Okay these things sound incredible. Current other headphones are a pair of Sennheiser 4.40's, and my only previous other ANC wireless buds I've had were the galaxy kidney bean lookin buds. These are easily the best sounding headphones I've ever owned, moreso than overear ones I've had in the past.

ANC is... a lot though. Using them out and about in the city is a weird and sometimes frightening experience. Has anyone gone through all the hoops of setting up the adaptive transparency? It's weird, because it's a headline feature on their marketing but it's also hidden under 6 different accessibility menus, which makes me feel like you're only supposed to mess with it if you have really specific sensory disabilities - is there a cost to audio quality or something? Having transparency but with selective ANC for loud city noises does seem good in theory.

Rookoo
Jul 24, 2007
So I bought some pixel bud pros a few months ago to solve my habit of breaking my earphones in my sleep and they're doing a bang up job.

However, the PS5 doesn't support Bluetooth audio for god knows what reason and the buds are about half as loud as I'd like when connected to my smart TV at max volume.

I thought I'd look at some over-ear headphones. They'll be mostly used for gaming, and I landed on these:

EPOS H6PRO Closed SebringH6PRO Closed Sebring https://amzn.eu/d/ci6DDUH

Is there an alternate option I should be going for at this price point? The microphone is low priority but I keep seeing "3D Audio" mentioned on the console and don't know if it's widely supported or worth chasing.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Rookoo posted:

So I bought some pixel bud pros a few months ago to solve my habit of breaking my earphones in my sleep and they're doing a bang up job.

However, the PS5 doesn't support Bluetooth audio for god knows what reason and the buds are about half as loud as I'd like when connected to my smart TV at max volume.

I thought I'd look at some over-ear headphones. They'll be mostly used for gaming, and I landed on these:

EPOS H6PRO Closed SebringH6PRO Closed Sebring https://amzn.eu/d/ci6DDUH

Is there an alternate option I should be going for at this price point? The microphone is low priority but I keep seeing "3D Audio" mentioned on the console and don't know if it's widely supported or worth chasing.

If you're getting wireless headphones specifically for the PS5, just get the Pulse 3D Headset. It's cheaper than that (£85 on Amazon UK right now) and sounds decent. It's 2.4ghz instead of Bluetooth so you can also just yank the dongle and shove it in a PC to use there as well.

njsykora fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Mar 18, 2023

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

redeyes posted:

sorry, i have covid and don't feel that good. Moondrop is not doing that well now for awhile in terms of people really being hyped on price to performance. They are expensive for no good reason. Then we got Stellaris which is a turd, we got their ultra heavy metal shells on the low end DDs, and the upper stuff is good but also expensive as F.

for the record, i agree with all that for the most part and im sorry you got the 'vid, that loving sucks. get better soon!

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

for the record, i agree with all that for the most part and im sorry you got the 'vid, that loving sucks. get better soon!

Thanks man, for real. It's been like 3 weeks and the god drat thing wont go away. I think the lack of sleep is making me angry. My bad responding like that. Recently I tried the Stellaris and it was SO bad I couldn't believe it. Moondrop should not be putting out stuff like this at this stage in their game. Another thing that has happened over and over for people that do get the Blessing 2 (dusk as well), is the bore diameter is like 5.5mm maybe 6 and a lot of people straight up find them uncomfortable.

Having said all that crap, Moondrop has good quality levels and for the most part you can expect a good experience if you can fit em and don't mind the shells.

And then I made my own IEM, basically entirely. Im working out how to get it produced.. and prolly have to make it myself since China is hard to deal with living in the USA. Here is Eru Iluvatar https://pw.squig.link/?share=PaulWasabii_Target,Shortbus_Eru It's planar and I consider it the best IEM i've ever heard. The tuning was done on accident trying to 'fix' a set with bad L/R matching. Look from 3k to 14k. Linear. Incredible if you ask me.

The Simgot EA500 are both excellent and unique in terms of the tuning. I need to do a review as soon as my ears clear up and I can hear better. I consider it a lot like the Tanchjim Oxygen (which is a fantastic 1DD set) but less V shaped, so pinna bump is moved forward in frequency.

redeyes fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Mar 18, 2023

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
Any of you ever listened to Siamese Dream on a pair of Grados? Mayonaise is so good.

Rookoo
Jul 24, 2007

njsykora posted:

If you're getting wireless headphones specifically for the PS5, just get the Pulse 3D Headset. It's cheaper than that (£85 on Amazon UK right now) and sounds decent. It's 2.4ghz instead of Bluetooth so you can also just yank the dongle and shove it in a PC to use there as well.

Yeah I was mulling those over, think I'll grab them then, cheers.

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

frytechnician posted:

Lol, I'm on one and that alone is intolerable 80% of the time

Worthington's Law is the rule in many places where people talk about audio:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gbU4VRs2rro

The Grumbles posted:

Okay these things sound incredible. Current other headphones are a pair of Sennheiser 4.40's, and my only previous other ANC wireless buds I've had were the galaxy kidney bean lookin buds. These are easily the best sounding headphones I've ever owned, moreso than overear ones I've had in the past.

ANC is... a lot though. Using them out and about in the city is a weird and sometimes frightening experience. Has anyone gone through all the hoops of setting up the adaptive transparency? It's weird, because it's a headline feature on their marketing but it's also hidden under 6 different accessibility menus, which makes me feel like you're only supposed to mess with it if you have really specific sensory disabilities - is there a cost to audio quality or something? Having transparency but with selective ANC for loud city noises does seem good in theory.

Adaptive transparency is the marketing term that Apple applies for the improvements they made to transparency mode from gen 1 to gen 2 of AirPods Pro. I haven't touched the settings to customize transparency mode yet, and haven't felt the need to.

On APP1, transparency mode just used the microphones to pump in outside noise. On APP2, transparency mode amplifies outside noises to the same volume levels as whatever music you're playing. APP2 also tries to reduce peaks, such as a jackhammer, to about 85 dB in transparency mode. Transparency mode sounds even more natural with APP2, and APP1's transparency mode was already best-in-class. It's the biggest improvement APP2 offers over APP1.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Godzilla07 posted:

Worthington's Law is the rule in many places where people talk about audio:

one of the funniest things in audiophile circles is the number of people who will decry trying to measure quality by "objective measurements" and then say poo poo like "do you really think a $500 turntable sounds even close to as good as a $8000 turntable???"

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

Feels Villeneuve posted:

one of the funniest things in audiophile circles is the number of people who will decry trying to measure quality by "objective measurements" and then say poo poo like "do you really think a $500 turntable sounds even close to as good as a $8000 turntable???"

It’s an objective measurement of money spent = better you see

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Feels Villeneuve posted:

:hmmyes:

Way back in 2004 I went to a local head-fi meetup and had a chance to demo a bunch of wildly expensive kit, including a Sennheiser HE90.

I had recently purchased a set of HD595s that I brought along with me, and came away quite happy with my $200 purchase compared to a lot of other stuff costing 10 times as much. I only just replaced the HD595s a couple months ago (got a screaming deal on the ATH-R70x, which I am very happy with).

Electrostatics are definitely on the menu if I ever win the lottery though, because hot drat the Orpheus sounded incredible.