Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mackerel Cornflake
Mar 26, 2021

Enami was able to
obtain that cereal
through illegal
channels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nosfereefer
Jun 15, 2011

IF YOU FIND THIS POSTER OUTSIDE BYOB, PLEASE RETURN THEM. WE ARE VERY WORRIED AND WE MISS THEM

Brother Make posted:

End of Page 90

you'd go to gay baby jail, we've already been over this

Idle Amalgam
Mar 7, 2008

said I'm never lackin'
always pistol packin'
with them automatics
we gon' send 'em to Heaven

Lol this dude is just so loving casual about burning his family alive.

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

Brother Make posted:

End of Page 90

Only one way to find out!

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Brother Make posted:

End of Page 90

life for anyone post boomers etc

Brother Make
Jun 5, 2020

Post more NEET!!!

I think everyone's going to like this page and the next one. I'm excited for some of these later panels.

Hot Stunt
Oct 2, 2009

Dude you are only like 30, no need to move out of home so soon.

Mackerel Cornflake
Mar 26, 2021

Enami was able to
obtain that cereal
through illegal
channels.

LookieLoo
Feb 10, 2011

This guy!

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Daily Life of a Completely Different NEET

Hot Stunt
Oct 2, 2009

So how does this guy expect his grandparents to react to the news he is on the run for murdering his step siblings?

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben

Hot Stunt posted:

So how does this guy expect his grandparents to react to the news he is on the run for murdering his step siblings?

So far, he has not been identified as having started the fire.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
"Oh grandson, I'm so glad you're safe! Also the police are here trying to find out who started that fire."

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

I wonder if it is his paternal or maternal grandfather? Has it said? I assume murdering your famil is big shame either way.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

hyphz posted:

So far, he has not been identified as having started the fire.

It was always burning since the worlds been turning.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
I'm gonna take a guess that he has roughly until whichever of his parents he didn't just kill gets the news, then the police will be after him.

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Keep it up, champ.

Unlockable Ben

Nep-Nep posted:

I'm gonna take a guess that he has roughly until whichever of his parents he didn't just kill gets the news, then the police will be after him.

He didn’t kill either parent that we know of. He killed his older brother and his kid sister, and one other person (who I suppose might have been one of his parents, but it’s not clear)

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

hyphz posted:

He didn’t kill either parent that we know of. He killed his older brother and his kid sister, and one other person (who I suppose might have been one of his parents, but it’s not clear)

It was his step-brother, who I think was implied as being younger, not older. Also we still don't have confirmation that he killed anyone at this point. He bragged about his domestic assault online and some rando linked him to the news report of a house fire that took place in the same general area.

Regallion
Nov 11, 2012

They are called out by name, so unless there is some other house with residents of the same names/surnames and ages, welp.

Brother Make
Jun 5, 2020

Post more NEET!!!

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

This is why I listen to podcasts when I go for a walk.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!

hyphz posted:

Oh yeah I guess it could've been a neighbor or something due to the fire spreading elsewhere.

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

this is a pretty wild response to observing a salaryman's haircut

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX
I'd say just wait

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

ALFbrot posted:

this is a pretty wild response to observing a salaryman's haircut

Remember who we are talking about here

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
Tohru really needs some lunch to immediately put an end to this crushing sense of ennui

Mackerel Cornflake
Mar 26, 2021

Enami was able to
obtain that cereal
through illegal
channels.

Mackerel Cornflake fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Mar 21, 2023

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Oh man, is he about to pretend he has no idea what happened

Brother Make
Jun 5, 2020

Post more NEET!!!

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Gruesome all around

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

Vampire Monster NEET would be a great new arc.

Mackerel Cornflake
Mar 26, 2021

Enami was able to
obtain that cereal
through illegal
channels.

Boring Translation Talk:

Granma's response is one of those things that can drive you nuts. In the previous comic she said, 「ほうじゃな。」, "hou ja na". This is Hiroshima-ben, Hiroshima dialect. It's the Hiroshima equivalent of 「そうだな。」, "sou da na." It's one of those stock Japanese phrases that can mean everything and nothing, ranging from "Is that so?", "You're right," "I agree", to just a simple acknowledgement of what someone said previously.

She repeats the phrase in this comic, but now it carries much more dramatic weight. In essence, she's acknowledging what her niece/daughter has just said, but also that it's simply too horrible to say anything more than a stock phrase. I really struggled with how to realize this in English. I wanted to include something that highlights the grandmotherly grief and unspoken intensity I felt in the original Japanese. I just hope my translation doesn't deviate too much from the original language and intent. Sometimes it's the simplest things that are most difficult.

Returning to Hiroshima-ben, I read a little online and watched some Youtube videos of native speakers to help put me in the right frame of mind when translating. It's generally agreed that Hiroshima-ben sounds more folky and old-timey. It has unique conjugating rules that are too arcane for me to get in to (I have a hard enough time remembering all the rules for standard Japanese), and it uses different pitch accents too. One speaker I listened to theorized that it's a more relaxed form of Japanese--he said that when speaking 標準語 "hyoujun-go", standard Japanese, he has to tighten his throat muscles and raise his voice a degree. Hiroshima-ben, in contrast, is much looser and less rigid, pronunciation wise, at least according to him. He said sometimes when he lapsed in to Hiroshima-ben with Tokyo natives they would ask, "are you angry?", so I guess it can sound a little gruff.

Going forward I'm gonna try to channel my Kentucky grandmother who would say "terlet" rather than "toilet." But honestly, these are nuances that don't really translate and if I go too overboard with it she'll end up saying stupid cowboy things like "what in tarnation?!" So I'll be trying to aim for a healthy balance.

That's an awful lot of words just to say you should think of this character as a no-nonsense country granma.

Regarding Gorou's "mission accomplished" comment, in Japanese he says 「とれーんだよ。」"toreen da yo." I'm not all that good with slangy Japanese, but I can tell とれーん "toreen" is short for 取れるの "toreru no", "to be able to obtain, achieve, win" with a no-particle at the end for added emphasis. So essentially, he's saying "I did it!".

When I was translating I was listening to a political podcast and the subject of George W. Bush came up. I was feeling a little cheeky, so "Mission accomplished" it is.

Mackerel Cornflake fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Mar 21, 2023

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Thanks for the notes!

i think Mission Accomplished is fine because it sounds like something that would be in a videogame, and Gorou is a huge dork, so.

Also I just realized that the game junkie timeline refers to Gorou, right? :cripes: We're never coming back to Tourou in this timelime are we?

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

Sure we are, it'll just be a year or two.

Brother Make
Jun 5, 2020

Post more NEET!!!

Bonus fact: The "at a loss" verb, 詰む (tsumu), is also the word for checkmate in shogi. It can also be used in chess, but they usually just say 「チェックメイト」 (chekkumeito).

Mackerel Cornflake posted:

Going forward I'm gonna try to go too overboard with it saying cowboy things like "what in tarnation?!"

Yes, perfect.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Space Kablooey posted:

Thanks for the notes!

i think Mission Accomplished is fine because it sounds like something that would be in a videogame, and Gorou is a huge dork, so.

Also I just realized that the game junkie timeline refers to Gorou, right? :cripes: We're never coming back to Tourou in this timelime are we?

Tohru is still a game junkie, it's just that this is probably one of those long asides like Enami's backstory that just happens to be following a far more loathsome game junkie.

Idle Amalgam
Mar 7, 2008

said I'm never lackin'
always pistol packin'
with them automatics
we gon' send 'em to Heaven

lmao! Treating this like video game mission. Even a "I did it." Is too much haha. They're going to be mourning his burned up family while he eats bento like nothing happened at all.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Brother Make posted:

Bonus fact: The "at a loss" verb, 詰む (tsumu), is also the word for checkmate in shogi. It can also be used in chess, but they usually just say 「チェックメイト」 (chekkumeito).

Yes, perfect.

He should move past that and heal.

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Keep it up, champ.

Unlockable Ben

BattleMaster posted:

Tohru is still a game junkie, it's just that this is probably one of those long asides like Enami's backstory that just happens to be following a far more loathsome game junkie.

Sara is also arguably in that category. It’s Video Game Trainspotting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mackerel Cornflake
Mar 26, 2021

Enami was able to
obtain that cereal
through illegal
channels.

Brother Make posted:

Yes, perfect.

lol. I'm taking this as license to let loose and get silly with it.

Big Berserk vibes from the last couple comics.