Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
The Donkey Kong Land games always looked very ugly to me even as a child

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Palmtree Panic
Jul 28, 2007

He has no style, he has no grace
The first Donkey Land has some very unique level themes & is very different than the original DKC. Donkey Land 1 is worth owning, but better off waiting for the others to come to NSO eventually. The other land games are basically scaled down versions of DKC 2 & 3.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

The cloud region in the first DKL sucked, because there were a couple blind jumps/rolls to find bonus rooms. I could never 100% that game because of it.

I think DKC has those as well, but it is worse in Land because you've got less screenspace to play with.

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
Reminder to everyone to check their 3DS wishlist, and the games it has accumulated over the years...

Professor Layton vs Phoenix Wright? hmm

Etrian Odyssey Nexus? hmmm

Shin Megami Tensei 4 Apocalypse? hmmm

And then there's the WiiU wish list...

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

I've been looking at the Persona and Shin Megami Tensei games, and the Etrian Odyssies, and will likely end up buying none of them because I have no drat clue where to start

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

If you want a more guided experience I'd go with Etrian Odyssey II Untold since it has Story Mode with named characters who interact with each other.

If you don't care that you've got a guild of random bozos where you have to make all the class choices then I'd say go with Etrian Odyssey IV, since I've heard from series fans that pretty much any combination will make it to the end (ignoring the post-game) and that it is way more forgiving than the DS games ever were.

I think you need to dig the Persona games and their characters or else the Persona Q games are going to annoy you with their characters who are constantly interrupting your dungeon crawling.

The Devil Survivor games are tactical RPGs, so they vary from all the other games..

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Quiet Feet posted:

I've been looking at the Persona and Shin Megami Tensei games, and the Etrian Odyssies, and will likely end up buying none of them because I have no drat clue where to start

Buy SMT 4. The original. That's where you start. Just in case, buy Etrian Odyssey Untold 2 too to try later.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

WHY BONER NOW posted:

Professor Layton vs Phoenix Wright? hmm

I like this one a lot. Lots of DLC with character conversations to read. If you enjoyed the others, I wouldn't overlook this

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ujHUMG0Uovs
Area madman tries to get every single 3DS/Wiiu game before they're gone forever.

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022
with money like that, youd think hed be able to afford a barber :wal::stat:

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Every games preservationist sliding into that guy's DMs

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

Is there actually anything missing from the free e-shop alternative, or is it complete?

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

I think the only thing that has not been preserved are specific updates for a couple of games, none of them the kind that would end up on Top 50 Best 3DS Games lists.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

I won't hear slander against the beard

Spellman
May 31, 2011

YggiDee posted:

Area madman tries to get every single 3DS/Wiiu game before they're gone forever.

He mentions the Phoenix X Layton DLC here near the end, and says you have to beat the 25ish hour game before you can access the download prompts for the DLC—hard times, but, at least people can watch them on YouTube

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
My bottom plate started flaking on my n3DS XL has anyone put out a good replacement plates? I know you can get ones that are like OEM on aliexpress but are there any that aren’t made of glossy plastic?

Resdfru
Jun 4, 2004

I'm a freak on a leash.
So everyone is racing to buy stuff on the eshop before you can't anymore but has Nintendo said anything about how long stuff will be available to download? Is this the first time they've been in this situation?

It's Nintendo and I really don't put it past them to just... turn off the cdn in a few years because the cost of paying for storage was too high for the tiny amount of people that will actually be using it regularly. I know storage is 'cheap' but yea.

Or are people just assuming the 3ds or SD cards won't fail?

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.

hatty posted:

My bottom plate started flaking on my n3DS XL has anyone put out a good replacement plates? I know you can get ones that are like OEM on aliexpress but are there any that aren’t made of glossy plastic?

I'd just go the AliExpress ones (have bought several for systems I was reselling) and use a case.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Anyone ITT have insight into how the Save Data Transfer Tool works? Thinking about moving data from a Monster Hunter 4U cart to a digital copy, but that's motivated by the fact that my 3DS likes to randomly act like the cart isn't loaded into the system when it is (AFAIK I only have this problem with this specific cart), and I'm worried about it having one of those episodes happening mid-transfer and messing everything up. Especially since the transfer tool then wipes the cart after transferring!

VV Yeah yeah I'll get to that eventually, thanks for the reminder.

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Mar 21, 2023

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

C-Euro posted:

Anyone ITT have insight into how the Save Data Transfer Tool works? Thinking about moving data from a Monster Hunter 4U cart to a digital copy, but that's motivated by the fact that my 3DS likes to randomly act like the cart isn't loaded into the system when it is (AFAIK I only have this problem with this specific cart), and I'm worried about it having one of those episodes happening mid-transfer and messing everything up. Especially since the transfer tool then wipes the cart after transferring!

I dont want to be the "mod your 3DS" guy BUT you can deftly make a backup copy of your save data with bog standard homebrew and not worry about Nintendo's jank software that wipes your cart no take backs no do over. You could then also freely move your save data to and from a eShop purchase or you could make your own copy of your game from the physical cart to the SD Card. You can also move your save data to your computer! Or have as many save files as you want! The list goes on...

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

Checkpoint is the homebrew app for managing save files. It's very easy to use!

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
The sanest option here might be to have a second, modded 2DS to do backups on before using Nintendo's official tools.

Wow.

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

endlessmonotony posted:

The sanest option here might be to have a second, modded 2DS to do backups on before using Nintendo's official tools.

Wow.

correct! I did a SMT4 save from cart to digital using the Nintendo tool. it took way longer than it shouldve to transfer I think 400kb file and it made me nervous when it insisted I couldnt touch anything while it wiped the data clean off my OOP physical copy.

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

YggiDee posted:

I perfectly understand why they do it but it's funny reading some articles reporting on this like they're from an alternate universe where piracy doesn't exist.

Resdfru posted:

So everyone is racing to buy stuff on the eshop before you can't anymore but has Nintendo said anything about how long stuff will be available to download? Is this the first time they've been in this situation?

Official communications just say it'll be available "for the foreseeable future" so who knows.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

as far as I remember you can still redownload on Wii so I wouldn't worry about the functionality being removed any time soon.

stellae
Oct 3, 2021

A lurker in poster's clothing

Alxprit posted:

as far as I remember you can still redownload on Wii so I wouldn't worry about the functionality being removed any time soon.

Can confirm. I redownloaded a bunch of games on my Wii after the sd card died a few months ago.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
It's mainly about the transaction security and not wanting to have to maintain all that in perpetuity on old network protocols. Frankly only being able to make purchases with your existing balance should be more than good enough to lock it down though, as nothing financial touches the 3DS or WiiU - All the money is on the back-end.

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:

Neddy Seagoon posted:

It's mainly about the transaction security and not wanting to have to maintain all that in perpetuity on old network protocols. Frankly only being able to make purchases with your existing balance should be more than good enough to lock it down though, as nothing financial touches the 3DS or WiiU - All the money is on the back-end.

That does nothing for the login credentials, and there's no way nintendo's going to do like sony and have you generate single-device passcodes for old poo poo.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
There are also legal rules about things like parental controls that some countries have that change and could still impact stored credit purchases. Letting people redownload stuff they already bought probably has less rules and covers them if governments ever get to making laws like "you can't remove access to purchased digital content."

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Did anyone ever play that Fragrant Story game that got a physical release a couple of months ago? It's $2 on the eShop, wondering if there's anything there to justify buying a weird piece of 3DS history.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I didn't know that about Layton/Wright and now I am kind of annoyed. I'm sure it is available on back channels, but I'd like to be able to just grab it for whenever I finish the game sometime in the future when I actually play it after I finish all the games that come before it. Only 4 more to go.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

C-Euro posted:

Did anyone ever play that Fragrant Story game that got a physical release a couple of months ago? It's $2 on the eShop, wondering if there's anything there to justify buying a weird piece of 3DS history.

I swear this game is an exercise in trolling collectors into buying something simply because it has a fancy collectors edition

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Sure, but is it a fun game?

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Everything I've seen suggests that it is not, that it is about 2 hours long and somewhere between pretty bad and "interesting."

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

LEMME SHOW YOU SOMETHING!!!
Have $41.20 left in my eshop balance and really should limit myself to that (have spent enough already).

Here is my remaining wishlist:
- Fantasy Life $39.99
- Etrian Odyssey Untold: The Millennium Girl $19.99
- Pocket Card Jockey $6.99
- Bomb Monkey $2.09
- Mario and Donkey Kong Minis on the Move $9.99

So really debating if I should just drop it all on Fantasy Life, or go with Etrian Odyssey and the others? Don't have any other Etrian Odyssey games. I do have Mario vs Donkey Kong Tipping Stars, if that puts any weight on not bothering with Minis on the Move. Leaning towards Fantasy Life but may get enough gameplay out of the others to make those more worthwhile, can't decide.

The other option is purchase a bunch of Theatrhythm Curtain Call DLC, but getting Curtain Call Review on the Switch may be more worthwhile?

FireMrshlBill fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Mar 22, 2023

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass

FireMrshlBill posted:

Have $41.20 left in my eshop balance and really should limit myself to that (have spent enough already).

Here is my remaining wishlist:
- Fantasy Life $39.99
- Etrian Odyssey Untold: The Millennium Girl $19.99
- Pocket Card Jockey $6.99
- Bomb Monkey $2.09
- Mario and Donkey Kong Minis on the Move $9.99

So really debating if I should just drop it all on Fantasy Life, or go with Etrian Odyssey and the others? Don't have any other Etrian Odyssey games. I do have Mario vs Donkey Kong Tipping Stars, if that puts any weight on not bothering with Minis on the Move. Leaning towards Fantasy Life but may get enough gameplay out of the others to make those more worthwhile, can't decide.

The other option is purchase a bunch of Theatrhythm Curtain Call DLC, but getting Curtain Call Review on the Switch may be more worthwhile?

There's a new Fantasy Life that will be out on Switch but I doubt that original will get a re-release. Pocket Card Jockey is out on apple mobile if you have an iphone.

The only full price game I'm looking at is Dillon's Dead Heat Breakers, I have doubts it will ever get a re-release but I may just let it go, going to try the demo again to see if it grabs me. I liked the second Dillon game.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Breadallelogram posted:

Checkpoint is the homebrew app for managing save files. It's very easy to use!
It super is, but for some reason it's still really hard to find any save files for games online.

I'm glad I was able to get a 100% smash save after my cart went kaput for no reason, but most other games there's nothing out there. Given how easy it is to export them, am I just missing some huge online resource my terrible Googling isn't landing me on?

Mamkute
Sep 2, 2018
HarmoKnight is loving cool. You should 'purchase' it.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

People on these forums love Fantasy Life and I've played it myself for 50+ hours. Still, I think it's too shallow in some parts and allround very repetitive. I spend a lot of the DLC wondering why I was still playing it!

If you're unfamiliar with EO, IV is seen as the most beginner friendly but Untold 2 offers more quality of life changes/additions. Don't feel the need to start with a remake of the first game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

LEMME SHOW YOU SOMETHING!!!

Mierenneuker posted:

People on these forums love Fantasy Life and I've played it myself for 50+ hours. Still, I think it's too shallow in some parts and allround very repetitive. I spend a lot of the DLC wondering why I was still playing it!

If you're unfamiliar with EO, IV is seen as the most beginner friendly but Untold 2 offers more quality of life changes/additions. Don't feel the need to start with a remake of the first game.

Maybe it’s worth just grabbing IV and getting the origins collection on the Switch this summer?