Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

apple music for windows seems nice but batch editing metadata doesn't work in the preview so it's back to itunes for me. hope they fix it soon because it is way more performant

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
This is a pretty good alternative to iTunes on Windows

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Jose Oquendo posted:

This is a pretty good alternative to iTunes on Windows

I'm trying as hard as I can but I keep getting "Waiting for DSMOS...", got any ideas?

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
They need to kill iTunes but there still needs to be a Windows app that does what Finder does for iPhones . I think that's the only reason iTunes is still around.

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

For people who have upgraded from the 12 to the 14, how much of a difference was it? And did you feel it was worth the money?

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

ChocNitty posted:

For people who have upgraded from the 12 to the 14, how much of a difference was it? And did you feel it was worth the money?

If you can afford a Pro phone I would, they are substantially more 'future proofed' which is admittedly a less useful phrase than it once was. Yes that's a big jump, enough to make a purchase IMO. However, we are now in the awkward point of the year or just now beginning it, where it may make sense depending on your personal situation to wait for Tim to release the new devices.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Had the 14 pro for two days now coming from the 12 mini.

This things heavy and I can’t do much one handed. I liked texting with one hand with the mini but it’s a stretch, albeit somewhat doable with the pro…way easier to just use 2 hands though.

It’s a nice phone though so I guess I’ll keep it. I like the dynamic island weirdly. It’s just a small aesthetic thing that works.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
iOS has an one handed keyboard mode, that reduces its size and moves it to a corner of choice.

As far as weight goes, the gently caress.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

nwin posted:

This things heavy and I can’t do much one handed. I liked texting with one hand with the mini but it’s a stretch, albeit somewhat doable with the pro…way easier to just use 2 hands though.

It’s a nice phone though so I guess I’ll keep it. I like the dynamic island weirdly. It’s just a small aesthetic thing that works.

Smartphones across both iOS and Android do have one-handed features now (so for example the top of the screen gets pulled down so you can reach it), but it always kind of sucks and is hard to intuitively remember how to activate, back in my hubristic big phone days I only seemed to successfully activate that stuff by accident.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Combat Pretzel posted:

iOS has an one handed keyboard mode, that reduces its size and moves it to a corner of choice.

Didn’t know about one hand mode-thanks.

For weight, compare the two phones…the pro is noticeably heavier. It’s not uncomfortable but different. The gently caress.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Combat Pretzel posted:

It’s 65% heavier.

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003
So I'm seriously considering making the switch from android to iphone. I'm finally out of patience with Google's endless broken promises and delayed security updates for the Pixel 6, and refuse to pay to upgrade to a 7 after just a year in order to actually get security updates on time.

I'm still on Google Fi at least for a while, but as long as I have an eSIM that should be OK, I'm OK with it only working on T-Mobile's network.

I'd strongly prefer a smaller phone than my huge Pixel 6, so I'm considering the 13 mini or SE. I don't hate the satellite SOS feature of the 14 because there's some areas on one of the routes I occasionally drive that have no cell service at all. Frankly I barely use my phone now because I work from home, I use my tablet when I'm browsing. My phone is basically phone, camera (not that I care much about the camera), email, and 2FA.

Any strong opinions on 14/13 mini/SE ? My other biggest remaining concern is probably lack of adblocking without real Gecko Firefox and ublock origin, for when I do need to use the browser on the phone.

EDIT: vvvvv Thanks! I'll probably discount the SE at this point. Using that even the 14 is comfortably smaller than my Pixel 6, so maybe that's an option. I guess I'm more wary of the price of the 14 in case I end up finding it really painful to switch. Though if I end up just hating it I wonder if a 14 or 13 mini would be easier to re-sell for a decent price.

Rescue Toaster fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Mar 18, 2023

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
You can compare footprint size and weight (and specs) on https://www.phonearena.com/phones/size/.

I would not get an SE over a 13 Mini purely due to battery life. Without fact-checking myself, I’m fairly sure the Mini is smaller, lasts longer and has a bigger screen. The SE is the phone for grand-parents and children.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

nwin posted:

The weight you’ll get used to muscle memory in about a month, although as the below poster posted, I didn’t think the Mini was 65% lighter, that is s legit difference.

I type with two hands but I’ve always typed with two hands. I think it’s fine to use one handed in terms of web browsing. Prob a get used to thing.

Did you use the camera ? I have a 12 for my work phone and I see a big difference between the 2 and 3 cameras personally , and I am not a photographer.

Finally, Apple loving knocked it out of park on Dynamic Island. Is it needed ? Obviously no. But it works super well.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Duckman2008 posted:

The weight you’ll get used to muscle memory in about a month, although as the below poster posted, I didn’t think the Mini was 65% lighter, that is s legit difference.
:goonsay:
Look into something called "ergonomics" if you ever grow curious about understanding the human being. The shape and weight distribution of a phone affects how the human can hold a phone, how long they can hold it that way, etc., and these interact with individual factors that can be pretty widely distributed across the population and have a nonlinear individual response (so going up a few percent can have a big impact after a point). Millennial human beings, in particular, have weaker wrists compared to their forebears.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Oh the loving something awful forums. It never fails.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I will have you know I’m a small weak person , my wrists were always doomed.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

It’s true though, I’ve never had to do manual labor and my wrists are very small

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Ive got mushy joints but that's just genetics

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

Creature posted:

I have one of those magnetic Anker batteries for when I need a little extra juice. It’s chunky as gently caress but works exactly as intended and is one less cable that I’ll get caught on something.

I’d never heard of this until you mentioned it but this sounds like it would beat the hell out of carrying a power bank with an extra cable. Do you have any experience using it with an Apple MagSafe leather case- does it hold well through that?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Referee posted:

I’d never heard of this until you mentioned it but this sounds like it would beat the hell out of carrying a power bank with an extra cable. Do you have any experience using it with an Apple MagSafe leather case- does it hold well through that?

I don’t have the Anker MagSafe , but I’m sure it’s as good as otter box. It def holds well to any case as long as it is MagSafe compatible , which the apple ones are. It won’t fall off and it’s also easy to take off.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

i did manual labor for a decade but being a lifelong gamer has left me with tenodonitis, rendering my thick, manly wrists weak and lacking. my wife has to hold my phone in front of my face for me, i use my nose to type out shitposts

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

The latest rumors are the Pro-level models are moving away from Stainless Steel and switching to Titanium, which should be significantly lighter. And possibly more expensive.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

when is apple gonna come out with a gamer version of the iphone that saves weight by putting in a smaller battery and a carbon fiber case, my wrists are dying.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Soul Glo posted:

i did manual labor for a decade but being a lifelong gamer has left me with tenodonitis, rendering my thick, manly wrists weak and lacking. my wife has to hold my phone in front of my face for me, i use my nose to type out shitposts

(I think?) you’re joking but there’s actually at least one poster without hands who uses their nose to interact with the forums :v:

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

tuyop posted:

(I think?) you’re joking but there’s actually at least one poster without hands who uses their nose to interact with the forums :v:

every part is tragically true up to the part about my wife letting me nose the phone, i just use my dumb hurt hands like a normal

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

xzzy posted:

when is apple gonna come out with a gamer version of the iphone that saves weight by putting in a smaller battery and a carbon fiber case, my wrists are dying.

active cooling iphone when

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

The Grumbles posted:

active cooling iphone when

Razer has you covered for now with the Razer Phone Cooler Chroma, which is MagSafe Compatible and boasts Advanced Smartphone Cooling Technology - 7-Blade Fan - 12 RGB LEDs - USB Type-C Power Cable - Powered by Chroma RGB. Keep an eye onto for the iPhone 14 version of the venerable Arctech for iPhone Pro 13 Case with Extra Ventilation Channels,Thermplastic Elastomer-Reinforced Corners, and Tactile Side Buttons (available only in Black, naturally).

Its electronic Peltier cooling tile with heat sink draws heat away from your smartphone and dissipates it with a powerful yet quiet 7-blade fan, ensuring maximum airflow with minimal noise.

With 12 customizable RGB LEDs embedded beneath the fan, you’ll be able to unleash brighter, more refined lighting effects for greater style and the gaming immersion no matter where you are. How sick is that?

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

mawarannahr posted:

Razer has you covered for now with the Razer Phone Cooler Chroma, which is MagSafe Compatible and boasts Advanced Smartphone Cooling Technology - 7-Blade Fan - 12 RGB LEDs - USB Type-C Power Cable - Powered by Chroma RGB. Keep an eye onto for the iPhone 14 version of the venerable Arctech for iPhone Pro 13 Case with Extra Ventilation Channels,Thermplastic Elastomer-Reinforced Corners, and Tactile Side Buttons (available only in Black, naturally).

Its electronic Peltier cooling tile with heat sink draws heat away from your smartphone and dissipates it with a powerful yet quiet 7-blade fan, ensuring maximum airflow with minimal noise.

With 12 customizable RGB LEDs embedded beneath the fan, you’ll be able to unleash brighter, more refined lighting effects for greater style and the gaming immersion no matter where you are. How sick is that?

https://www.razer.com/mobile-accessories/razer-phone-cooler-chroma/RC21-01790100-R3M1

$60 USD, shipping not included

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
Isn't Razer poo poo some of the consistently worst made products you can buy froma build quality standpoint

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Someone post the Kirk Razer rant

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

Mister Facetious posted:

Isn't Razer poo poo some of the consistently worst made products you can buy froma build quality standpoint

Nsfw Warning: gamer fluids

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3459842&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
When I’m using my iPhone as a hotspot, I pop off the case, stick a charging cable in it, then rest it on the flat base of my Apple studio display - which it turns out, due to being a giant chunk of solid metal, is actually an amazing heatsink in addition to holding up an incredible monitor. Normally using the hotspot, especially while also charging makes the phone burning hot but resting it on the stand keeps it perfectly cool.

I have the camera bump hanging off the edge of the stand so the body of the phone is flush with the stand

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Mister Facetious posted:

Not anymore, they’re totally fine from the stuff I’ve had

Their software could be less heavy tho

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

We've already seen a dead horse

Referee posted:

Yeah it holds alright through the case. The magnets are pretty strong.

When charging it heats up a fair bit though. I wouldn’t recommend charging with it in a pocket.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

mawarannahr posted:

Just horrible in every way

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Mister Facetious posted:

Their bread and butter stuff like keyboards, laptops etc are perfectly fine but anything they haven't been making for over 5 years like their phones should be avoided. They just have a nasty appetite for trend chasing.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

Mister Facetious posted:

IDK, my Huntsman V2 keyboard is p. nice.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Mister Facetious posted:

Supposedly their cameras are good ? But that said, they made this thing:

https://www.verizon.com/tablets/razer-edge-5g/

I have no idea if it’s any good or not (doubt it) but I can assure you that no one is buying it. They made a phone similar to this like 5 years ago, and it also did not sell at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Duckman2008 posted:

Supposedly their cameras are good ? But that said, they made this thing:

https://www.verizon.com/tablets/razer-edge-5g/

I have no idea if it’s any good or not (doubt it) but I can assure you that no one is buying it. They made a phone similar to this like 5 years ago, and it also did not sell at all.

Yeah I have one of their webcams and it’s fine. Mind you my problem with razer poo poo has generally been the longevity and I’ve had this for less than a year.