Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Junkiebev
Jan 18, 2002

Feel the progress.

FISHMANPET posted:

Microsoft isn't really saying much about what their preferred future is,

I’m not trying to be a dick, but I have zero clue how one might come to this conclusion. It’s GHE - AZDO is being allowed to die on the vine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"
If you talk to MS that is 100% not what’s being said internally or to customers. I’ve never used GHE personally, even in non-Windows Azure shops folks overwhelmingly used AzDO :shrug:

Zephirus
May 18, 2004

BRRRR......CHK
That's not really the take we get from MS. The heavy steer we got from our MS reps and others in MS when we switched SCM tools was that ADO is basically in LTS and features are going to trickle in, but focus and resources were targeted on Github.

We went GHE about 8 months ago, and I've no complaints, EMUs are a bit clunky but once it's working it's no fuss.

I don't hear any different these days when we talk to them about the remaining ADO accounts we have

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"
There are people who are part of MS that came from GH that say that, if you ask around it’s far from settled internally. Had to escalate a conversation where someone from MS said that exact thing to a client (this was two years ago as well), their official stance is that both products are remaining. There are people inside the company who want to kill AzDO and have been repeating this for multiple years. AzDO is still getting features added and things like the cloud agents are being updated, and I still think GHE isn’t feature parity.

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

Zephirus posted:

That's not really the take we get from MS. The heavy steer we got from our MS reps and others in MS when we switched SCM tools was that ADO is basically in LTS and features are going to trickle in, but focus and resources were targeted on Github.

We went GHE about 8 months ago, and I've no complaints, EMUs are a bit clunky but once it's working it's no fuss.

I don't hear any different these days when we talk to them about the remaining ADO accounts we have

That was true for a while but MS didn't get the github adoption they were after so they restarted Azure devops work.

Zephirus
May 18, 2004

BRRRR......CHK

i am a moron posted:

There are people who are part of MS that came from GH that say that, if you ask around it’s far from settled internally. Had to escalate a conversation where someone from MS said that exact thing to a client (this was two years ago as well), their official stance is that both products are remaining. There are people inside the company who want to kill AzDO and have been repeating this for multiple years. AzDO is still getting features added and things like the cloud agents are being updated, and I still think GHE isn’t feature parity.

AFAIK the builds for the GH cloud agents and the ADO cloud agents are exactly the same, but yeah there are some things that that aren't at parity, mostly everything on the testing side. Boards/Projects is something that is better on the GitHub side IMO, I think they want to snag some Atlassian refugees so work is going in there.

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

Zephirus posted:

AFAIK the builds for the GH cloud agents and the ADO cloud agents are exactly the same, but yeah there are some things that that aren't at parity, mostly everything on the testing side. Boards/Projects is something that is better on the GitHub side IMO, I think they want to snag some Atlassian refugees so work is going in there.

The underlying agent is a fork of the Azure pipelines agent but they are very different implementations. Actions is a generic work flow runner that responds to many different events. Azure pipelines is specifically for continuous delivery scenarios.

GH has a limited security model that's not well suited for highly regulated organizations that require very granular permissions and audit trails.

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

i am a moron posted:

If you talk to MS that is 100% not what’s being said internally or to customers. I’ve never used GHE personally, even in non-Windows Azure shops folks overwhelmingly used AzDO :shrug:

I have no idea what I was trying to say with this post so I’m not even editing it. I think I meant ‘that’s 100% not what’s happening even though some customers have been told different.’ Idk.

Zephirus
May 18, 2004

BRRRR......CHK

New Yorp New Yorp posted:

The underlying agent is a fork of the Azure pipelines agent but they are very different implementations. Actions is a generic work flow runner that responds to many different events. Azure pipelines is specifically for continuous delivery scenarios.

GH has a limited security model that's not well suited for highly regulated organizations that require very granular permissions and audit trails.

I think i've confused things here, I don't mean the literal agent which is different, I mean the cloud agent image, which is shared across Gh actions and ADO cloud agents. (https://github.com/actions/runner-images)

Without being a GitHub apologist, I think there's a big difference between Enterprise management with a full GHEC enterprise and Enterprise Managed users, and a standard GitHub org with SAML. It's a different solution designed for orgs that don't want to work like normal GitHub, and closer to the ADO model (though the requirements to set up teams to do AAD group based granular permission management is annoying).

Junkiebev
Jan 18, 2002

Feel the progress.

today I learned that Azure Container Registries have a hard limit of 20TB of images/instance

While I’m OOO and have a 6 hour TZ diff

:smithicide:

he;lp

Junkiebev
Jan 18, 2002

Feel the progress.

don’t let this happen to you!!!

Junkiebev
Jan 18, 2002

Feel the progress.

i am a moron posted:

I have no idea what I was trying to say with this post so I’m not even editing it. I think I meant ‘that’s 100% not what’s happening even though some customers have been told different.’ Idk.

To best gauge Intent of Business, from an Engineering Perspective, look what’s being advertised

It’s been a while since AzDO was bragged about in any capacity at ignite or any other conference

Perhaps a bad Take, but it I lick my finger and stick it in the air the wind direction is remarkably clear

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
I doubt anyone is excited about the source code management or project tracking features of Azure DevOps. I use DevOps Pipelines with GitHub Enterprise which works quite well.

Is there any indications that they're working on getting more "Enterprise" features into Actions? Some of the approval and resource protection features are pretty critical for some stuff I've built, and I just don't see any equivalents in Actions currently.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Junkiebev posted:

today I learned that Azure Container Registries have a hard limit of 20TB of images/instance

While I’m OOO and have a 6 hour TZ diff

:smithicide:

he;lp

You should be trimming your registry periodically, or if you have giant containers (>2-4gb) clogging up your registry your infra architecture sucks

The help I can provide is you should have fixed these things before now, HTH

Worst case scenario spin up a new registry, assign permissions to the existing role to the new registry and start using that until you get back to town

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
I haven't looked much because my little app is still not using up enough space to use up the fixed allocation, but there are some options for auto pruning old images.

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/container-registry/container-registry-retention-policy

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/container-registry/container-registry-auto-purge

20 TB seems like quite a bit

Resdfru
Jun 4, 2004

I'm a freak on a leash.

FISHMANPET posted:

I doubt anyone is excited about the source code management or project tracking features of Azure DevOps. I use DevOps Pipelines with GitHub Enterprise which works quite well.

Is there any indications that they're working on getting more "Enterprise" features into Actions? Some of the approval and resource protection features are pretty critical for some stuff I've built, and I just don't see any equivalents in Actions currently.

Man it's ridiculous that you can't pause a pipeline till someone manually clicks deploy. In gitlab you just put when: manual and done. In github actions you need a 3rd party action that pauses the pipeline and consumes minutes the whole time. Or you can use the enterprise feature 'environments' which works but is still not as simple as Gitlab.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

Hadlock posted:

You should be trimming your registry periodically, or if you have giant containers (>2-4gb) clogging up your registry your infra architecture sucks

The help I can provide is you should have fixed these things before now, HTH

Worst case scenario spin up a new registry, assign permissions to the existing role to the new registry and start using that until you get back to town

ECR is just a shim on top of S3, plus it dedupes layers. I can totally see how you'd expect to not have any sort of storage constraints.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

i don't disagree with that expectation

that said, storage costs money and while you might need to preserve X releases back + a handful for historical purposes, there's a lot of spend savings to be had by not just leaving images in the cloud forever. I haven't checked recently but 20TB of storage is probably at least a couple hundred bucks a month

FISHMANPET posted:

there are some options for auto pruning old images.

sage advice

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

On ACR that would be $1800/month

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
We just cleared up like of 60TB of unattached azure storage from decomm'd hosts mid last year that no one noticed was there. People counting dollars and looking at cost/effectiveness, you're doing alright.

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

Resdfru posted:

Man it's ridiculous that you can't pause a pipeline till someone manually clicks deploy. In gitlab you just put when: manual and done. In github actions you need a 3rd party action that pauses the pipeline and consumes minutes the whole time. Or you can use the enterprise feature 'environments' which works but is still not as simple as Gitlab.

In Azure Pipelines you can also put a manual intervention step in a "serverless" job so that it pauses between jobs. Not sure off the top of my head if GitHub Actions supports anything similar but I don't think it does.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
The impression I've gotten all along, without digging in very much, is that GitHub Actions is really about the "CI" of "CI/CD". It's great at running tests on your code, and building an artifact, and pushing that artifact into your artifact store. Which is great for open source software where "deploying" means publishing to a package manager. But the options for actually deploying your artifact on your infrastructure seem somewhat limited with Actions, and that's an area where Azure Pipelines has a big leg up. Maybe the real answer is that you should be using some entirely different tool for CD, but the fact is Azure Pipelines does CD, and going from Azure Pipelines -> GitHub Actions + some other tool feels like a step backward.

I could be way off base though, I've literally never touched GitHub Actions myself, just looked in from the outside.

Resdfru
Jun 4, 2004

I'm a freak on a leash.
https://www.reddit.com/r/RedditEng/comments/11xx5o0/you_broke_reddit_the_piday_outage/

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
My favourite piece of techdebt is having two labels for tech-debt

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Someone is building out a pipeline in our shared Azure DevOps org for building reference Windows images. The job consumes all our parallel runs for about 3 solid hours. They're running it during the day.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

what

how

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

we have an app that has 51 distinct "versions" and when they do a full build it does with 102 jobs, but they have the grace to only do those outside of business hours

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
We "support" Windows Server 2016, 2019, and 2022, Core and Desktop experience. We build a new image from scratch each month with all the latest updates on it, I don't know exactly what the job is doing, this is a new process using Packer, but each OS version takes about an hour. And we have 2 consecutive jobs in our environment, so 3 hours.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

FISHMANPET posted:

2 consecutive jobs

welp

self-hosted jobs get like 10 or 15 at no additional cost

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Limit is 1 self-hosted for free in private projects.

Once the pipeline is built and working I don't care if it runs over night, because nothing is happening overnight that's urgent where you're gonna block up the queue. This is just in the "building and testing the pipeline" stage. There are about 8 different ways to handle this that don't gum up the whole org during the work day, I just have to convince them to try... any of them.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

FISHMANPET posted:

Limit is 1 self-hosted for free in private projects.

Apparently Visual Studio subscriptions inflate the free number in the ui, sorry

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Self hosted gitlab runners looking better and better by the day

I’m limited by nothing but k8s scaling and a concurrency settings that default to 50 per runner

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

You can do that with DevOps too :shrug:

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

yeah, but it costs money

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

So does gitlab lol

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
I mean so does gitlab, to be fair. the compute certainly does. i acknowledge there are plenty of ways to solve this, i was just briefly and unfairly aghast at the idea of being able to only run two pipelines at once.

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

It’s the same with TFC too, honestly way easier to just host your own. DevOps cloud agents have some limits almost everyone runs into at some point even besides the free tier, usually just recommend people host their own unless they care to find out what they are

Edit: and of course a caveat that the cloud agents can work just fine for some shops and they’ll never even know or care what the limitations are

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
We could pay for more, it's $40/month per concurrent cloud job. Concurrent on-prem jobs are $15/month. 2 has been fine for years, I think maybe like 1-2% of the time are we actually using both jobs. So it came as quite a shock to suddenly see the whole thing stopped up like this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

i am a moron posted:

It’s the same with TFC too, honestly way easier to just host your own. DevOps cloud agents have some limits almost everyone runs into at some point even besides the free tier, usually just recommend people host their own unless they care to find out what they are

Edit: and of course a caveat that the cloud agents can work just fine for some shops and they’ll never even know or care what the limitations are
I can't even imagine trying to do something like meaningful workspace drift detection on the number of agents they give you to work with. We have roughly one agent per five workspaces and it could still go faster