Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses

Kraftwerk posted:

For those of you who have things like radar sensors in the bumper, 360 degree camera functions, and LKA/LDW etc does the car completely freak out when its winter time and half of it is covered in ice,snow, salt and dirt?

I live in Massachusetts, and if the radar is obscured, the digital dash flashes an alert that says the radar is obscured and the radar is disabled. Doesn’t make annoying sounds or anything like that, and you can dismiss it. I’ve only had it happen when it’s iced over or obscured by snow.

The ADAS camera gets cleaned by the wipers, but the radar has no defroster element or something to clean it. Honestly, if it’s bad enough to obscure the radar, I shouldn’t be using cruise anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
Fellow masshole. Our Golf just has forward emergency braking and when it gets obscured enough (snow/ice on the front logo), it'll throw a really loud annoying chime and a huge warning icon in the gauge cluster for a minute, and then just keep a little warning triangle illuminated indicating that the system is inop.

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk
I discovered during the recent flooding here that my dinky 2006 era parking sensors also double as wading depth sensors too. Take that, Range Rover!

Math You
Oct 27, 2010

So put your faith
in more than steel
While on the topic of snow covering sensors.. I imagine a bad storm could completely cover LED headlights while driving.
The slightest bit of snow on the road probably immediately covers the turn signals of Hyundais where they are mounted just above the bumper. Idk who thought it was a good idea to start putting turning indicators so low.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

I’d assume it’s all the same as an obscured camera, but what about when the road surface itself is snow covered? For a lot of months you generally don’t see road surface in some places.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

The only other issue I've had with my golf is if a parking sensor is covered with sufficient ice, I'll get a proximity parking warning to stuff when I come to a halt.

Dr. Lunchables posted:

I’d assume it’s all the same as an obscured camera, but what about when the road surface itself is snow covered? For a lot of months you generally don’t see road surface in some places.

There is a visual indicator in the gauge cluster of my Golf when it can and can't see the lane markers. No alerts or warning or anything because that can pop up on and off throughout routine driving. That's why it's not something you rely on, it's an extra safety net.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Mar 15, 2023

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Audi is adjusting its naming scheme. Going forward, all even numbered vehicles will be electric only (A2, A4, A6, A8, Q2, Q4, Q6, and Q8). ICE and hybrid vehicles will be odd numbered (A1, A3, A5, A7, Q1, Q3, Q5, and Q7).

I remember when the A6 etron EV concept was revealed, Audi said it would available as a sedan, sportback, and wagon (avant) so this explains why they didn't have an A7 etron EV concept.

Google translated article links:

Exclusive: Audi confirms drastic change

Audi on the offensive: new electric entry-level model, new names and new combustion engines

From the interview link:

quote:

AB: There is a rumor that the nomenclature, the naming at Audi, will change.

Duesmann: We can confirm that. In the future it will be like this: The odd numbers will be the combustion engines and the even numbers will stand for the battery electric vehicles. The successor to today's A4 will be called the A5 and today's A6 will be called the A7. A4 and A6 then come electrically.

AB: How will things continue with the current Audi A5 and A7 ?

Duesmann: On the body variants of the future A5 and A7 we will inform you at a later date.

Hoffmann: But you can look forward to many emotional and high-performance derivatives.

AB: Will it stay with the name "e-tron"?

Hoffmann: At Audi, e-tron stands for 100% electric and is a well-established term. We want to stick to that.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
they have like 3 completely different vehicles all called "e-tron" :shrug:

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Throatwarbler posted:

they have like 3 completely different vehicles all called "e-tron" :shrug:
They're changing that. The etron is now the Q8 etron and they also have the Q4 etron. I suspect the etron car will be renamed with the facelift.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Mr. Apollo posted:

They're changing that. The etron is now the Q8 etron and they also have the Q4 etron. I suspect the etron car will be renamed with the facelift.

The etron car is already called the etron GT, so it has a name.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

YOLOsubmarine posted:

The etron car is already called the etron GT, so it has a name.
I mean aligning it with the new scheme of giving it an even numbered name.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Mr. Apollo posted:

I mean aligning it with the new scheme of giving it an even numbered name.

They’ve already got the Etron A6 coming which is roughly similar in size. Wouldn’t be surprised if the GT stayed distinct like the TT did.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
what about the coupe etron that's like the rebadged ID4 but a “coupe”, the q4 etron sportback?

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Throatwarbler posted:

what about the coupe etron that's like the rebadged ID4 but a “coupe”, the q4 etron sportback?
Yeah, there’s the Q4 etron and Q4 etron sportback.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
oh but there's also the etron sportback, is that becoming the q8 etron sportback?

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Throatwarbler posted:

oh but there's also the etron sportback, is that becoming the q8 etron sportback?
Yes, with the facelift, Audi changed the name of the etron to Q8 etron and Q8 etron sportback.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
Lexus's solution to the steering yoke problem is to make the steering by wire and the ratio infinitely variable baased on conditions

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_SHZLBhw68

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

Throatwarbler posted:

Lexus's solution to the steering yoke problem is to make the steering by wire and the ratio infinitely variable baased on conditions

I got an idea, how about we just use a steering wheel like normal? Yokes should be illegal.

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Send Help; Trapped in Stupid Factory

Kraftwerk posted:

Yokes should be illegal.

Comedians just can't catch a break these days.

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

Throatwarbler posted:

I badly want to see the average 76 year old Lexus driver operate this

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice
Audi should do like BMW and stick to this new odds and evens naming scheme for like one year then come out with special editions of electric cars that get odd numbers and vice versa.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
I saw a preview picture of some youtube vid that said something like "Lexus is doing the Tesla yoke RIGHT" and all I could think was "no, doing it right would mean using a regular steering wheel".

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
Just desperate to do something, anything that makes your product stand out now that we've come to the end of the road for jamming more Screens in cars

A dipshit yoke that might make driving dangerous sure who cares

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

Cars have jumped the shark, let’s pivot to public transit and well-designed cities instead.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Mr. Apollo posted:

Yeah, there’s the Q4 etron and Q4 etron sportback.

Audi qanon.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

I've been daydreaming for years about a small, probably 2 person EV, city car, K car, "sMaRt" car, whatever. I could buy it a 240V charger or stick with 120V. I live in a city and the vast majority of what I need to drive to is within 5 miles, let alone 10, 50, 100 miles.

The climate zone of my city is as such that walking or bicycling is pleasant for probably a minority of the months of the year. I do both and enjoy it!

I am fortunate to have splurged on a deeded, covered, heated lol garage spot.

I've thought about Tesla before Elon self grenaded or the Bolt EUV. But yeah, it would be great to spend what like, $5k ish on some cheap EV smart car thing, a super golf cart, with 50 or 100 miles of range. When will this be a thing or will it be only a dream forever? Top speed is an issue in this idea, I would be fine with 35-55MPH limit, and poor crashworthiness. But I do not think regulations would allow it in USA perhaps. I might try out a motorcycle at some point but I've never tried it, will take some lessons and take a stab at it but I don't want to die immediately.

Inner Light fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Mar 18, 2023

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
It won't have 100 (or probably even 50) miles of range but an older Leaf is still a great city car. A bit on the large size but still compact compared to a Model 3

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

There are some small towns that have large numbers of people who literally drive fancy golf carts around. My mom used to live in a place in AZ, her husband at the time bought some like $20k golf cart and mostly drove that around. Strip malls have golf cart parking spots.

dk2m
May 6, 2009
It doesn’t solve everyone’s problems, but when I lived in the heart of the city, my daily was a 400cc Kawasaki. I did pretty much everything in that for cases where walking/using the bus wouldn’t work. Parking was a trivial, gas like $8 to fill up for 120 miles, saddle bags could actually carry groceries, lane splitting was easier to traffic was just never a real problem. If I lived there now, I would probably get a Zero electric motorbike because it does all of that in an even smoother and efficient way.

You just have to be really, really defensive when riding but I actually liked it, it made even doing silly things like get a haircut an adventure because the ground is right there and that person in that Porsche is clearly texting, good luck

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

phosdex posted:

There are some small towns that have large numbers of people who literally drive fancy golf carts around. My mom used to live in a place in AZ, her husband at the time bought some like $20k golf cart and mostly drove that around. Strip malls have golf cart parking spots.

Yeah, I might be trying to say too many words for an already solved problem to which the answer is "golf cart." But I was looking for something like a cross between a long-distance golf cart and maybe a much cheaper Polaris ATV. That can somehow achieve a price point of around $5k maybe $10k. And be road legal! If I'm spending $20k I'm just gonna buy a real used car probably.

dissss posted:

It won't have 100 (or probably even 50) miles of range but an older Leaf is still a great city car. A bit on the large size but still compact compared to a Model 3

For sure this is on the list. Leaf has not sold too many units, a respectable amount though almost 200k I guess over the model's lifetime, I could see what's out there on the used market around here.

Inner Light fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Mar 18, 2023

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

phosdex posted:

I always thought those were the retirement villages.

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001

Inner Light posted:

I've been daydreaming for years about a small, probably 2 person EV, city car, K car, "sMaRt" car, whatever. I could buy it a 240V charger or stick with 120V. I live in a city and the vast majority of what I need to drive to is within 5 miles, let alone 10, 50, 100 miles.

The climate zone of my city is as such that walking or bicycling is pleasant for probably a minority of the months of the year. I do both and enjoy it!

I've thought about Tesla before Elon self grenaded or the Bolt EUV. But yeah, it would be great to spend what like, $5k ish on some cheap EV smart car thing, a super golf cart, with 50 or 100 miles of range. When will this be a thing or will it be only a dream forever? Top speed is an issue in this idea, I would be fine with 35-55MPH limit, and poor crashworthiness. But I do not think regulations would allow it in USA perhaps. I might try out a motorcycle at some point but I've never tried it, will take some lessons and take a stab at it but I don't want to die immediately.

https://youtu.be/yJoMKVI0ODA

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Inner Light posted:

Stellantis could rebrand the Ami on one of FCA US brands and sell it there. I wonder if the us has a legal equivalent to the heavy quadricycle.

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

'CUZ HE JUST GOT DUNKED ON!

Inner Light posted:

Everything aside from a $5k price sounds a lot like a MINI Cooper SE

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Inner Light posted:

Used leaf, pre-pandemic there was an infinite supply of used leafs under $7k. Of course, those same cars cost $15k now I'm sure.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Twerk from Home posted:

Used leaf, pre-pandemic there was an infinite supply of used leafs under $7k. Of course, those same cars cost $15k now I'm sure.

My buddy just bought a good condition used gen 1 Leaf as an around town commuter for like 6 grand and change. Even in this wacky used car market they haven’t held value especially well since EVs keep improving so much every generation.

But it’s a super cheap way to cover all your <50 miles drives.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Guinness posted:

But it’s a super cheap way to cover all your <50 miles drives.

So long as you go in with realistic expectations. I still see posts from new owners of old Leafs complaining about range and it usually turns out they're expecting to do 50 mile commute on a 75mph highway in the dead of winter.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

RIP Paul Walker posted:

Cars have jumped the shark, let’s pivot to public transit and well-designed cities instead.

:agreed:

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I'm all for making everyone else ride the bus

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Too many people can't drive of obviously aren't interested in paying attention when they're sat in the driver's seat. I'm really glad a large chunk of them no longer seem to work on a Friday because that's probably the only day without so many arseholes.