Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

It's a decently higher piece count compared to previous creator cars, but it's still 80$ CAD more then the DeLorean for about 500 more pieces?

But it's also 500 pieces less then the Jazz Club but 30$ more. Granted, comparing piece counts is not always the most fair/good comparison, it's hard not to feel like it's got a pretty steep price tag.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Carbohydrates posted:

Reworked the Pagani Zonda, and then did it again, and then did it again. Really wanted to nail this thing. I think it's a much better model now.

The big change is that it's no longer a Cinque, but a C12-S now. Not having to worry about the red stripe down the middle allowed me to do a lot more creative shaping, especially around the nose. It's also much more complex, with all sorts of wacky stuff attached at all kinds of angles now: the nose, tail, greenhouse, rear deck, sides, and panels between the greenhouse and sides. I think the shaping is massively better now, especially the nose.

I think I built this at least partially because I had this little nagging voice in the back of my head calling myself out for mostly building American classics and muscle cars, which tend to be very chunky and boxy: "Are you just doing those because they're easier? Do you avoid supercars because you're not capable of building their complex shapes?" I am satisfied enough with this model to shut that little voice of doubt right the gently caress up, I think.
Huge improvement. Your next step needs to be brick built windshields somehow (a tall order) , since the one there seems out of place

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I'm digging the customization on it though. Which is pretty standard for creator expert cars these days but it looks like most of the attachments can be added/removed without major reassembly.

Some curious bracket and tile usage on the rear windows though. I'm guessing to keep it no studs visible on both inside and outside?

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Why would anyone prefer the 110 to the 90 that’s nonsense

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Oxyclean posted:

It's a decently higher piece count compared to previous creator cars, but it's still 80$ CAD more then the DeLorean for about 500 more pieces?

Yeah, just thinking back to the F50 which was $99, and buying the new car every year was an easy choice. Same story with the modulars.

Lego is making bigger sets and raising prices so “following a line” just can get out of reach.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I'm glad I don't care about land rovers, so I don't have to buy it.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

I think with them leaning into their adult audience, we're also seeing them blur the lines on product lines too. Like last year, the Camero is almost certainly the "creator" car, but you also had the Vespa and DeLorean that fill a similar target. The year before that you had the volkswagon camper, the pickup truck and the porche.

I fully expect there's going to be at least one other large scale car this year. (That will hopefully be closer in piece and price to stuff like the Camero or Porche)

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?

mastershakeman posted:

Huge improvement. Your next step needs to be brick built windshields somehow (a tall order) , since the one there seems out of place
I toyed with the idea, and I know a lot of builders go that route, but to me personally, it's just a little too far divorced from a "speed champions model" if I do the pillars-without-glass approach, and I can't brick build a transparent windscreen that would look decent here. I've already mitigated the compromise that is using this windscreen as much as I could by raking it a bit and "trimming" the sides with 1 x 4 panels, and I think that's just how this one is gonna be.

Land Rover's cool but the cars after the Porsche have been overpriced. You know... pre-911 and post-911.

Carbohydrates fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Mar 17, 2023

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Oxyclean posted:

I think with them leaning into their adult audience, we're also seeing them blur the lines on product lines too. Like last year, the Camero is almost certainly the "creator" car, but you also had the Vespa and DeLorean that fill a similar target. The year before that you had the volkswagon camper, the pickup truck and the porche.

I fully expect there's going to be at least one other large scale car this year. (That will hopefully be closer in piece and price to stuff like the Camero or Porche)

It feels to me like it's as simple as an expansion of the creator expert car line. Those traditionally come out in late summer and given the success of the line they're putting out a higher tier option in the spring.

As long as people are buying 'em it makes sense to crank out as many per year as the factories have room for.

boxen
Feb 20, 2011

Carbohydrates posted:

Land Rover's cool but the cars after the Porsche have been overpriced. You know... pre-911 and post-911.

Never forget.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Carbohydrates posted:

Reworked the Pagani Zonda, and then did it again, and then did it again. Really wanted to nail this thing. I think it's a much better model now.

The big change is that it's no longer a Cinque, but a C12-S now. Not having to worry about the red stripe down the middle allowed me to do a lot more creative shaping, especially around the nose. It's also much more complex, with all sorts of wacky stuff attached at all kinds of angles now: the nose, tail, greenhouse, rear deck, sides, and panels between the greenhouse and sides. I think the shaping is massively better now, especially the nose.

I think I built this at least partially because I had this little nagging voice in the back of my head calling myself out for mostly building American classics and muscle cars, which tend to be very chunky and boxy: "Are you just doing those because they're easier? Do you avoid supercars because you're not capable of building their complex shapes?" I am satisfied enough with this model to shut that little voice of doubt right the gently caress up, I think.

Yeah this went next level. Much much better.
The brackets forming the hood and headlights are nuts.

Lizard Combatant fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Mar 17, 2023

Tony Sorete
Jun 19, 2011

Manager de rock
Not to mention the roller skates for the headlights themselves. A true improvement overall.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Oxyclean posted:

But it's also 500 pieces less then the Jazz Club but 30$ more. Granted, comparing piece counts is not always the most fair/good comparison, it's hard not to feel like it's got a pretty steep price tag.

Also the Delorean got a huge price bump a few months after it came out.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.
I know my opinion on the Technic Land Rover differs from others - I bought it primarily for my son, who loves him some complicated Technic and the gearbox on that thing is impressive - but this new one strikes me as even more ho-hum than I expected. Alright, yes, the sand green elements are great. And I'm sure there will be some interesting building techniques. The Technic one was admittedly pretty straightforward outside of the mechanisms, but the Land Rover is a boxy creation that actually lends itself well to Technic and thus not only looks great but, unlike many other large scale Technic cars, makes for an awesome play set, being nigh indestructible. Conversely, in a way, it almost feels like the Land Rover is not particularly suited to being a Creator set because of its pedestrian geometry.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

Habibi posted:

I know my opinion on the Technic Land Rover differs from others - I bought it primarily for my son, who loves him some complicated Technic and the gearbox on that thing is impressive - but this new one strikes me as even more ho-hum than I expected. Alright, yes, the sand green elements are great. And I'm sure there will be some interesting building techniques. The Technic one was admittedly pretty straightforward outside of the mechanisms, but the Land Rover is a boxy creation that actually lends itself well to Technic and thus not only looks great but, unlike many other large scale Technic cars, makes for an awesome play set, being nigh indestructible. Conversely, in a way, it almost feels like the Land Rover is not particularly suited to being a Creator set because of its pedestrian geometry.

But Luke has a new poncho! I mean Stacey has a new hat! Aw, you get what I mean.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
So I finally ordered the parts to build Carbohydrates' rendition of my Ford Falcon 77 XC sedan*.

The crappy photo doesn't do it justice, check out his rebrickable page for better glamour shots.

This is the 2nd Carbs car I've built (the first was the Death Proof Chevy Nova for a friend) and I highly recommend, the build was an absolute delight with flawless instructions, and it felt like I was building an official kit. There's even a reference to the first Mad Max hidden in the internals.

*Not enough surface rust, but that's understandable at this scale.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?

Lizard Combatant posted:

There's even a reference to the first Mad Max hidden in the internals.
lol, forgot about that. I do poo poo like that sometimes even when nobody else will ever see it. My latest, the Zonda, has a lil Italian flag hidden in it.

edit: all set up for a show this weekend. Bun decided that my usual arrangement method of "I just kinda put em down however" is bullshit and insisted on something more cohesive.

Carbohydrates fucked around with this message at 12:20 on Mar 18, 2023

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Carbohydrates posted:

lol, forgot about that. I do poo poo like that sometimes even when nobody else will ever see it. My latest, the Zonda, has a lil Italian flag hidden in it.

edit: all set up for a show this weekend. Bun decided that my usual arrangement method of "I just kinda put em down however" is bullshit and insisted on something more cohesive.

Holy poo poo dude. I find this way more impressive than a giant castle for whatever reason - I think it's since each build is so standalone with zero extra bricks anywhere

Angry BIerds
Nov 3, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
I wasn’t aware they all existed outside stud.io models. Now that’s dedication :golfclap:

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
My favorite is the house trailer.

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

Carbohydrates posted:

I've said it before and I'll say it again: Carbs is an artist.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Cartist

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

I would love to see these all in person. Such incredible work.

Do you have other shots of the purple Plymoth (I think) in the top right hand corner?

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?
Is that at the show in Dallas this weekend?

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
It's been a busy weekend of building Brickheadz

Edit-- for clarity these are from Rebrickable, I don't want anything to think I'm claiming I designed these

Count Thrashula fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Mar 18, 2023

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
The forks on Pinhead are cracking me up, excellent job on those

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
Is there a crossbow arm??

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?

PriorMarcus posted:

I would love to see these all in person. Such incredible work.

Do you have other shots of the purple Plymoth (I think) in the top right hand corner?
https://flickr.com/photos/tomgion/albums/72177720299948392

VaultAggie posted:

Is that at the show in Dallas this weekend?
Yup. I'll be there for most of the day (except for an hour or so in the middle) tomorrow, too.

Skios
Oct 1, 2021
The way you did the texture/colouring on Freddy's head is really clever.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

The Griffith is OK, but the Guts is :kiss:

mitochondritom
Oct 3, 2010

God's the Rivendell set is so good and I've just got my annual bonus. It's almost cruel. I keep telling myself that I've not got the space and also I've seen the rumours about Medieval Village 2 and another Ninjago city set to come. Lego really are pumping out massive sets at a pace nowadays. Feels strange having to really stop and think about what I'd really want (the answer is naturally all of them).

My little girl is really into Playmobil at the moment and I'm being exposed to how many cool sets they also make. There's an insane variety of themes and sets that aren't just Police, Fire and Construction sites. They've also got in on the mystery bag game too. Guess there's not too much adult demand for Playmobil due to the non-building element of it.

Lamont
Mar 31, 2007
Who knows what evil lurks in the hearts of men?

mitochondritom posted:

God's the Rivendell set is so good and I've just got my annual bonus. It's almost cruel. I keep telling myself that I've not got the space and also I've seen the rumours about Medieval Village 2 and another Ninjago city set to come. Lego really are pumping out massive sets at a pace nowadays. Feels strange having to really stop and think about what I'd really want (the answer is naturally all of them).

My little girl is really into Playmobil at the moment and I'm being exposed to how many cool sets they also make. There's an insane variety of themes and sets that aren't just Police, Fire and Construction sites. They've also got in on the mystery bag game too. Guess there's not too much adult demand for Playmobil due to the non-building element of it.

Playmobil do such an amazing job at capturing the essence of something in a relatively minimalist design. Their BTTF and Ghostbusters toys were awesome!

Angry BIerds
Nov 3, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
My mom made me choose very early on between Playmobil and LEGO because we could barely afford one let alone both. It was always cool going over to friends’ who had Playmobil but I think I made the right call, with all the wisdom a 3 year old has.

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Had we turned left instead, we may have encountered something like this...
We just finished the Treehouse. It’s such a good set, really great time doing it with the kids. Then I showed them the Rivendell box for the first time and their heads exploded

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
I was able to preorder the micro Mando n1.
Can't wait for it to arrive.
After it ships on August 1st.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

No idea why but the birdhouse got me, I was looking for a birthday set for my daughter and it was just cute enough to win me over

graventy
Jul 28, 2006

Fun Shoe
I'm doing the 3-in-1 Viking Ship set now. I've never done a bigger 3-in-1 before and I find it kind of frustrating that there's no organization. Like I get that each of the builds is different, but they all start with "dump all 7 bags out" and my workspace can't really handle that many miscellaneous LEGOs to look through. It's gotten better now that I sorted things a little, but it's still a lot.

EDIT: Nevermind, guess I should've started with the ship. lol. That goes bag by bag, as usual.

graventy fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Mar 20, 2023

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Yeah, seems unavoidable for alternate models.

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots
Quick update, just to show that I wasn't ignoring all of the feedback :) I think I figured out a way to redo the hull of my sub without sacrificing stability and still able to do what I want it to do. Gentlemen, BEHOLD

Still not "perfect" but I like it much better. And I believe my idea for a more round dome will also work with this redesign. Thanks again for the suggestions and such. Looking forward to redoing/continuing the build

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
It is much better!
I will say tho to watch out about putting bricks right on-top of eachother in neat straight lines like that, it will be less sound. You have four neat columns and in your old design you knew to stagger them. I would also suggest finding the deepest slopes (widest? The ones that would cover the most columns) you can.
But I'm pretty sure you know that since that's how you did the other one and were just making a shape before building it out.

And this is just because it's on an empty background and you did with the unfilled step interiors but: It has me thinking of a shark jaw the way it's all gaping open on the blank background.