Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SGNL06
May 6, 2004

They're goin' home! They're goin' home!

VelociBacon posted:

I've been itching a little to lower my mk5 GTI. I previously had coilovers on other cars but this time around I'm thinking about just using lowering springs. I see there's about a thousand options and I wanted to ask the thread:

1) Is it reasonable that I wouldn't need an alignment if they're just dropping stuff to replace springs?

2) By lowering the car but still using the stock struts they will be sitting lower in their travel at baseline. In other suspension applications that I'm familiar with, there is specific valving/other tricks being used that make the initial stroke more supple than the deeper travel of the shock. Is this the case in my 2007 GTI? Will I have a brutal ride over small sharp edge impacts because the struts are tuned to be more progressive at the travel they will be sitting at? I of course expect a slightly harsher ride regardless.

3) For the fronts where the springs are over the struts, are there other components which will need to be replaced (or good idea to replace with the struts out)? Thinking like strut upper bearings etc.

4) Any recommended spring product that people are happy with? I don't want to slam the car just take it down a bit and have it be a little more firm. I won't be doing any more track days with this car. I'll likely be dropping it around 1-2". It's relatively high at stock.

5) Is it just a better idea to spend a tiny bit more and get a KYB kit with springs and run those?

Thanks everyone!

I put VWR lowering springs on my mk7.5 sportwagen with stock shocks, and I hated the ride. It was harsher, but the bigger issue was that it had a very uncontrolled feeling over bigger bumps or dips in the road, to the point where I'd almost come out of my seat at highway speeds going over the odd bridge transition section. Keep in mind these shocks only had maybe 30k km on them. I also noticed a binding noise not too long after putting the springs in.

I have since installed Bilstein B8 shocks with the VWR springs and it's a million times better. Much more controlled over large bumps, and even took the edge off the harshness. I also replaced both strut bearings at the same time and the binding is gone. The drop was about 1.5" all around, and I didn't notice much of a difference in that after doing the shocks.

I would say do it right the first time and replace the shocks and strut bearings as well as the springs.

Also I didn't get an alignment after doing just the spring replacement, and noticed some uneven wear on the inside of my front tires after a summer. I did get one done after doing the shocks, and it was out of spec on pretty much every measurement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

SGNL06 posted:

I put VWR lowering springs on my mk7.5 sportwagen with stock shocks, and I hated the ride. It was harsher, but the bigger issue was that it had a very uncontrolled feeling over bigger bumps or dips in the road, to the point where I'd almost come out of my seat at highway speeds going over the odd bridge transition section. Keep in mind these shocks only had maybe 30k km on them. I also noticed a binding noise not too long after putting the springs in.

I have since installed Bilstein B8 shocks with the VWR springs and it's a million times better. Much more controlled over large bumps, and even took the edge off the harshness. I also replaced both strut bearings at the same time and the binding is gone. The drop was about 1.5" all around, and I didn't notice much of a difference in that after doing the shocks.

I would say do it right the first time and replace the shocks and strut bearings as well as the springs.

Also I didn't get an alignment after doing just the spring replacement, and noticed some uneven wear on the inside of my front tires after a summer. I did get one done after doing the shocks, and it was out of spec on pretty much every measurement.

Yeah figured this might be the feedback. Appreciate it!

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
Is anybody familiar with the power tops on Mk3 Cabrios?

My parents have a Mk3 with a manual top: wonderful car albeit in need of some TLC (I posted about it a bunch in AI like a decade ago when they got it and it was in somewhat better cosmetic shape, mainly the vinyl top needs replacement these days and the hood+bumpers could use a repaint) but it’s got an automatic transmission, and recently my dad and I have been wondering about tracking down a twin with a 5-speed just for additional funsies.

One may have been found in suitable condition, it’s a few hours away. One caveat: it’s got the power top, which appears mostly identical to the manual one plus some hydraulic gubbins. On the upside, the original material has been replaced with a nice cloth top in the past decade and the underlying machinery appears to have been serviced. Obviously we can’t really tell unless/until we make the trip out.

So before we do that: How much of a pain is the power top vs the manual? For all of my complaints the manual top on the car they currently have has aged really gracefully for being a 30 year old convertible. The mechanicals are all good and functional and we’ve never had any problems with it.

I worry that the hydraulic system on the power top is a timebomb waiting to fail, and when it does it’ll either be an expensive fix or render the whole thing immobile and unworkable.

1) I know the Mk3 power top latches and unlatches just like the manual. Can it be raised and lowered by hand like the manual top too? Is it harder to do so?

2) if the system fails, can it be disabled and/or removed entirely? Can the power top be “converted” to manual? Are they mechanically very different?

Mk3’s are getting rarer and rougher each year, and 5-speeds in particular are harder and harder to find, so I get that beggars can’t rly be choosers here.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

2013 Jetta S:

There's a missing screw on the plastic shrouding for the steering column - it's one that holds the bottom half of the clamshell, attaches it to the steering column itself inside I suppose. Without this, the lower half of the shroud around the steering column is resting against the wheel and it's just irritating. I have no idea which screw this is so I can replace it - went to VW online and put the VIN in, I'm able to find the assy:

Strangely, despite matching the VIN and the actual car details, I don't see the hole on this trim panel that I felt when I was in the car. There's definitely a recessed fastener hole (not that rectangular one in the picture) on the trim piece in the car.

There's no item listed for the screw. Does VW typically use the same interior screw all over the place? Anyone know which one this is? Thanks. I don't THINK the PO used trim from another model year of jetta or anything like that, it all looks original so I'm not 100% sure why I'm having trouble finding this.

If anyone wants to play along, the link to the assy is here.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Can someone give me a very high level overview of the difference between a VW engine and a Porsche 914 engine

DOHC vs ohv? 6 vs 4 cyl? Dual vs single carb?

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice

Hadlock posted:

Can someone give me a very high level overview of the difference between a VW engine and a Porsche 914 engine

DOHC vs ohv? 6 vs 4 cyl? Dual vs single carb?

https://www.heritagepartscentre.com/uk/blog/volkswagen-type-4-engine-explained.html

This page give a good overview, but pretty much, the VW owners say "It's got the Porsche motor! :perfect:" and the Porsche owners say "It's got the VW motor :mediocre:"

Whatever the flavor, I'm happy there's (still) a robust aftermarket, because the motor in mine has been kaput since popping it back in 2014

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Oh wow ok I didn't even know I was asking for a comparison of two four cylinder VW engines. Shows how much I know about the subject

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

My buddy just made the godawful decision to purchase an 8U Q3. What's the best way for him to add CarPlay?

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

I have a 1973 bus that has the type IV motor same as the 914 in most every way.
The only big difference is the heat exchangers. The 914 ones face the opposite direction of the bud ones since the 914 is mid engined and were made out of stainless steel.

I have to get it towed down from my parents place sometime this year as they are tired of it being in their driveway and get it back on the road.

There used to be a bunch of guys on Thesamba forums getting serious power out of them. The main guy being Jake Raby.

https://aircooledtechnology.com/

The motors he builds aren't cheap by any means but they are supposed to be bullet proof.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

I don't suppose there's any easy fix for the leather on my mk7 r seats starting to seperate?

VW Part is $550. Or I could just embrace the stupid and get some seat covers. It's not a big deal i guess, but it has me bummed.

Deviant fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Mar 18, 2023

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Deviant posted:

I don't suppose there's any easy fix for the leather on my mk7 r seats starting to seperate?

VW Part is $550. Or I could just embrace the stupid and get some seat covers. It's not a big deal i guess, but it has me bummed.

Context that may help is how good you want the repair or replacement to look. Don’t care much? A sowing kit might do you. Care more? See if you can google “car interior upholstery” or car leather / accessory shops in your metro area. They may have a fix they can offer which would look better than a sowing kit.

You could try superglue on the fold there, but your (really anybody’s) butt motions are going to put substantial force per millimeter of glue so it may not hold in that application.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.
For a cheap and low effort fix some shoe/boot fixing goop would probably do the job great, it's like super glue but it retains a bit of flex when set and binds fabrics and leather up a treat

that or seconding there's probably someone who can do a repair for a fraction of the cost of a replacement

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Inner Light posted:

Care more? See if you can google “car interior upholstery” or car leather / accessory shops in your metro area. They may have a fix they can offer which would look better than a sowing kit.

A car upholstery shop will easily replace that panel, not sure if that’s cheaper than a whole new OEM seat cover

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Deviant posted:

I think you want this kit

3M Leather and Vinyl Repair Kit, 08579

$12 usd

https://www.amazon.com/3M-08579-Leather-Vinyl-Repair/dp/B0058WXNOK

Only slightly more expensive than coloring it in with a sharpie. I think the further the repair is from the seam, the better it works, and your repair is directly on the seam

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Hadlock posted:

I think you want this kit

3M Leather and Vinyl Repair Kit, 08579

$12 usd

https://www.amazon.com/3M-08579-Leather-Vinyl-Repair/dp/B0058WXNOK

Only slightly more expensive than coloring it in with a sharpie. I think the further the repair is from the seam, the better it works, and your repair is directly on the seam

The stitching has come loose as well, so this might not do it, but I'll look into it.

Deviant fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Mar 19, 2023

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

I’ll be darned, another inexpensive but well regarded 3M product to keep in my back pocket of knowledge. What can’t that company do?

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice

Inner Light posted:

I’ll be darned, another inexpensive but well regarded 3M product to keep in my back pocket of knowledge. What can’t that company do?

Mine Minerals in Minnesota

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️

Inner Light posted:

Produce non-toxic, non-polluting products.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

My buddy just made the godawful decision to purchase an 8U Q3. What's the best way for him to add CarPlay?

Depending on the MMI system it has there is usually an abundance of kits you can get on eBay to flash map updates and enable carplay/android auto with an SD card, which is way cheaper than the dealership. It's what I did.

E: this is the guy I used - https://thenavman.com/

Theophany fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Mar 19, 2023

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Thanks but unless I'm missing something, which I may be, not seeing a CarPlay thingy for the Q3 on there.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

Thanks but unless I'm missing something, which I may be, not seeing a CarPlay thingy for the Q3 on there.

Get your friend to work out which MMI model they have and email the chap that runs the site - he's very responsive and if it's possible he's usually able to get hold of the software needed to unlock and update everything.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008

Charles Leclerc posted:

Get your friend to work out which MMI model they have and email the chap that runs the site - he's very responsive and if it's possible he's usually able to get hold of the software needed to unlock and update everything.

I have a mod on my mk7 that enables CarPlay but the turn-by-turn navigation doesn't work. It only shows the map but it won't actually speak. It's frustrating. Because of this, I just turn it off. All CarPlay really does it make your screen look nice. If I can't get turn-by-turn then I don't give a gently caress about the album art or whatever.

I purchased this car with the mod on it already installed. I have tried to find what it is exactly (I think I did once, a Dutch company maybe?) but even then I couldn't get the turn-by-turn speaking to work.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

dialhforhero posted:

It only shows the map but it won't actually speak.

Sign me up!

(I'm someone who mutes GPS within 30 seconds if it's turned on, just drives me nuts.)

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Uthor posted:

Sign me up!

(I'm someone who mutes GPS within 30 seconds if it's turned on, just drives me nuts.)

Same, absolutely cannot stand the voice directions. Immediately muted always.

Voice directions aside, CarPlay still has so many other advantages over any factory infotainment, it’s nearly a must-have if you can get it.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

dialhforhero posted:

I have a mod on my mk7 that enables CarPlay but the turn-by-turn navigation doesn't work. It only shows the map but it won't actually speak. It's frustrating. Because of this, I just turn it off. All CarPlay really does it make your screen look nice. If I can't get turn-by-turn then I don't give a gently caress about the album art or whatever.

I purchased this car with the mod on it already installed. I have tried to find what it is exactly (I think I did once, a Dutch company maybe?) but even then I couldn't get the turn-by-turn speaking to work.

I wonder if the PO just shoehorned in a 'close enough' model's software update? I don't use Carplay but Android Auto seems to work just fine and I've found Waze is much better than Audi's implementation of Google maps, which seems to have a penchant for sending my big rear end car down every single track country road in a 20 mile radius of my destination.

I've got a brand new Q3 today as a loaner whilst I get the last of the warranty work sorted on my S7 and the nav did the exact same thing of sending me down blind country roads when there were perfectly fine main roads all the way :wtc:

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Charles Leclerc posted:

I wonder if the PO just shoehorned in a 'close enough' model's software update? I don't use Carplay but Android Auto seems to work just fine and I've found Waze is much better than Audi's implementation of Google maps, which seems to have a penchant for sending my big rear end car down every single track country road in a 20 mile radius of my destination.

I've got a brand new Q3 today as a loaner whilst I get the last of the warranty work sorted on my S7 and the nav did the exact same thing of sending me down blind country roads when there were perfectly fine main roads all the way :wtc:

I wasn't aware of any way to update the software outside of the dealer. If there is, I'd like to update my Mk7's infotainment to maybe make the bluetooth song titles stop lagging behind by a track or two. Dealer wouldn't even look at an update without a diagnostic fee, which they can go gently caress themselves on.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Deviant posted:

I wasn't aware of any way to update the software outside of the dealer. If there is, I'd like to update my Mk7's infotainment to maybe make the bluetooth song titles stop lagging behind by a track or two. Dealer wouldn't even look at an update without a diagnostic fee, which they can go gently caress themselves on.

It's a lot easier if you have an SD card slot in the car. Usually a good idea to leave the car on trickle charge too as it can take a couple of hours.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
Has anyone tried the after market kits to get android auto, carplay, fit backup camera etc?
Stuff like this: http://carsgadget.com/audi-carplay-android-auto-concert-symphony

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

I have one in my BMW E92, works great except the audio skips like a scratched up CD if there's even a little bit of Bluetooth interference.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
So after revisiting this issue I found out that Siri is actually the controller for CarPlay so when Maps is being used you have to tell her to allow notifications. Interesting. By default she won't.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Sounds like maybe a setting got jiggered along the way. P sure CarPlay from factory defaults would allow notifications for maps but may have prompted for opt-in previously. My guess anyway. Then again maybe I’m imagining it wrong, since this is a retrofit maybe those don’t behave the same way as factory CarPlay.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Charles Leclerc posted:

It's a lot easier if you have an SD card slot in the car. Usually a good idea to leave the car on trickle charge too as it can take a couple of hours.

I've never even found a source _for_ the update. Where? I have a slot, it's a Mk7 Golf.

Edit: I found mibsolution, but I'm unclear on which firmware to install. There's MST2_US_VW_P0867D_MU0867 and MST2_US_VW_P0635D_MU0757, and i imagine that has to do with my platform type?

Edit Edit: looks like http://mib-helper.com/ can set me up, but i'll have to get my SW Train data tomorrow.

Deviant fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Mar 21, 2023

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Double posting because it's a new day. I've pulled my SW Version and I have MST2_USVW_ZR_P0245T. Mib-helper says that the newest version is MST2_US_VW_ZR_P0253T, but on mibsolution.one, in Firmware/MST2, I don't see a MST2_US_VW_ZR_P0253T file, the closest is ZR-CM-VW-0253.img

Does anyone happen to know what I should be using here?

Edit edit: found it, installed it, and it didn't fix the issue where my bluetooth track titles lag behind by one song. :mad:

Deviant fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Mar 22, 2023

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
The local TDI market has been dry for a while. Missed out on a nice JSW that was tuned, deleted, timing belt done, etc... and have been regretting that one. A few lower mileage Golf's have popped up too but they're wanting way too much money. Another higher mileage Jetta just popped up a few days ago and at 141k miles it has more than I want but at the price I might be able to get it at it might be worth it. Timing belt has been done so that's a huge one that pretty much every single TDI is at the point of needing so I'm definitely factoring that into what I'm willing to pay. I'd plan to drive it into the dirt, but if I could get even a few years out of it I'd be pretty happy.

I've always kind of enjoyed car shopping but man it loving blows the last few years.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Funny as I was just browsing and noticed the same.

Not trying to rub it in but feeling very happy I have two TDIs under 100k.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

dialhforhero posted:

Funny as I was just browsing and noticed the same.

Not trying to rub it in but feeling very happy I have two TDIs under 100k.

Want to sell one? :v:

I might try to go look at a Honda Fit 5 speed today. Obviously pretty different from the TDI's but I've always been interested in them. The mileage difference is a wash with the cost of diesel and nothing besides another Prius is going to match what I'm already getting. The Fit is more expensive than it should be but what isn't. It's also not guaranteed to need a few thousand in maintenance/"weight reduction" right off the bat.

The Ford dealer right next to where I work has a decent looking Jetta at a decent price for a dealer but it's new to the lot and "in the shop" so I couldn't look at it last week. They didn't tell me what it was in the shop for.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008

fknlo posted:

Want to sell one? :v:

Actually eventually, yeah. I will most likely keep the ‘15 SportWagen since it is an amazing traveller and I have all the accoutrements such as roof cargo, et al and I get nearly 600 miles a tank (just finished a 730 mile trip today and filled up at shy of 600 miles and that was after hitting two spots of highway traffic). It has 75k and I had to replace a leaky water pump so the timing belt was done, too.

I have a ‘15 Golf S that is very well maintained. 90k. Looks great in and out and has a CarPlay mod and aftermarket professional tint on the windows. I am wanting to put a backup camera on it. I only put about 8k a year on this one.

That will be the one that goes when we can feasibly go electric.

Legit was thinking today I would post in this thread when I do.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

dialhforhero posted:

Actually eventually, yeah. I will most likely keep the ‘15 SportWagen since it is an amazing traveller and I have all the accoutrements such as roof cargo, et al and I get nearly 600 miles a tank (just finished a 730 mile trip today and filled up at shy of 600 miles and that was after hitting two spots of highway traffic). It has 75k and I had to replace a leaky water pump so the timing belt was done, too.

I have a ‘15 Golf S that is very well maintained. 90k. Looks great in and out and has a CarPlay mod and aftermarket professional tint on the windows. I am wanting to put a backup camera on it. I only put about 8k a year on this one.

That will be the one that goes when we can feasibly go electric.

Legit was thinking today I would post in this thread when I do.

You'll get pretty good money for it if you sell it any time soon. The mk7's definitely go for(list anyway) more than the mk6's, even with higher mileage.

I think I'm gonna have to go look at this Jetta. Somewhat local and it actually has a ton of service records. A lot of them aren't specific, including the claimed timing belt service but there are 38 service records on carfax. I've been looking at a couple Priuses again because they make more sense but this one is very tempting at that price. You still get within spitting distance of some pretty decent 3rd gens when you factor in a delete and tune.

fknlo fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Apr 11, 2023

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Is the internet insane or could I seriously get 20-23k for my Golf R right now? That'd leave 19-20k after I pay it off, and hoo boy, that might do something nice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Deviant posted:

Is the internet insane or could I seriously get 20-23k for my Golf R right now? That'd leave 19-20k after I pay it off, and hoo boy, that might do something nice.

how could anyone possibly know the answer to this question unless you provide slightly more information