Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

Bad Munki posted:

What’s the deal with their Game line? It looks like they have matching tones in game color/game air, is that about the long and short of it?

Vallejo's Model line is intended for painting real world models, military and civilian vehicles mostly, so most its colors are intended to match real world paints, like Navy Sea Blue, British Racing Green or late-war-eastern-front panzer gray.
Game Colors are intended for painting gaming miniatures so they include brighter colors for fantasy and sci-fi figures, things like wolf fur gray, alien skin purple and magic lighting blue.
Mecha Colors are intended specifically for painting gundams with an airbrush, they're bright saturated colors with a very matte finish, and supposedly sturdier than their other paint lines in order to be handled more on articulated models.
The Air lines are just pre-thinned versions of the Model and Game lines. They are intended for airbrushing but work just as good with a paintbrush right out of the bottle. If you want to save money buy the main lines and thin with some alcohol, but if you want to simply drop-and-paint use the Air lines. I don't think every color is available in the Air lines though so you might have to go with the thicker paints for specific colors.
Metal Colors are excellent metallic paints that are intended to be airbrushed over a black base coat, they require no thinning for an airbrush, but are not great when using a paintbrush.

They also have a bunch of specialized paint sets that include all the colors for a specific purpose, like Battle of Britain Fighters, or Late Napoleonic Infantry, but they just use specific colors from the model line,. Then there are some sets of special purpose paints that are not available on their own like the Color Shifting paints.

I have yet to be disappointed with any Vallejo colors, with the single exception of their Rust and Wet Rest effects paints which work great and look awesome when applied to a model but after awhile the paint clumps up and becomes a nasty mess in the bottle so I have to replace them long before I've used the entire contents (i'm on my second and third bottle of each).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN
How does metal color look over zenithal?

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

I do find that some of their Game Color paints are a lot less opaque than I would like. Dark green, red, and black particularly.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

War and Pieces posted:

it's worthless to do as the metal color is very opaque, which is actually really good. They go on with a brush just fine too

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

War and Pieces posted:

It kind of doesn't, as most metallics are fairly opaque. You're better off doing the zenithal using metallics, or zenithal metallics over a black primer.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

or using the zenithal as a base for doing non metallic metal.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Spanish Manlove posted:

it's worthless to do as the metal color is very opaque, which is actually really good. They go on with a brush just fine too

This is half true, because the underlying layer will affect the undertone of metal colour. You can get some very nice effects doing a zenithal with metal colour over a non black or white base layer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AgJqjIMd6k8

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Vallejo metal air over gloss black is outrageous

Decorus
Aug 26, 2015

I'm working on a platoon banner for my IG. Freehanding the wavy cloth is a nightmare. Stil lots to go, but the major details are blocked in at least.

I sketched the pattern on paper and then tried to draw it out on the model with pencil, but it's feels only barely workable that way. I think the flag might be stretched a bit unnaturally, so the folds aren't quite right. Fortunately my painting skills are bad enough that it won't affect the final result.

Am I missing something really obvious in the process? I've seen some absolutely prefect flags and banners that were clearly painted on a similar molded surface. Is it just drawing talent and experience?

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

If you have the materials to do so, you might try applying a transfer and painting over it. The way 2d applies to 3d can be unexpected.

Ez8
Aug 5, 2004

Decorus posted:

Am I missing something really obvious in the process? I've seen some absolutely prefect flags and banners that were clearly painted on a similar molded surface. Is it just drawing talent and experience?

Thin your paints, multiple coats, steady hands. You got this. Don't rush it. You're doing great.

Decorus
Aug 26, 2015

Ez8 posted:

Thin your paints, multiple coats, steady hands. You got this. Don't rush it. You're doing great.

Thanks!

I think I'm about one slightly lighter shade off from finishing the red and blue. The symmetry is okayish at best, but fortunately the highlights do a lot to hide it. :)

I'm not sure about the last details though. The regiment is from one of the planets of Ultramar, so I was thinking of adding a few lines of gold to emphasize the Ultramar/Ultramarines inverted omega formed by the blue. I mean the triangles in the corners on the sketch below. Would it be too much? I think I'd have to paint a line of gold to separate the red and blue as well, in that case.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
It'll likely be too much to add in another color.

But one trick I like to do for cloth is consistent brush stroke direction to simulate the weft and warp of the material. It's a small nitpicking detail that no one would ever notice but adds a lot of simple authenticity to sell that the flag is made out of cloth. You have it a bit on the left side of the banner

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Decorus posted:

Thanks!

I think I'm about one slightly lighter shade off from finishing the red and blue. The symmetry is okayish at best, but fortunately the highlights do a lot to hide it. :)

I'm not sure about the last details though. The regiment is from one of the planets of Ultramar, so I was thinking of adding a few lines of gold to emphasize the Ultramar/Ultramarines inverted omega formed by the blue. I mean the triangles in the corners on the sketch below. Would it be too much? I think I'd have to paint a line of gold to separate the red and blue as well, in that case.

Do as much detail as you're comfortable with but ya, this kicks all kinds of rear end.

jarofpiss
May 16, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QHi479xN_po

latest bobby fingers video is unreal (as usual)

Radiation Cow
Oct 23, 2010

jarofpiss posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QHi479xN_po

latest bobby fingers video is unreal (as usual)

The setup is excellent. The payoff even more so.

In other news, my Satan bust placed third in a national competition. :toot:

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Fun painting challenge I did today. I picked a figure in secret, my wife picked 4 colours in secret, then I had to paint the figure using those four colors plus black and white.

The four colours were all Vallejo model: flat flesh, royal purple, red, and scarlet.

I had a zenithaled gelfling type figure

And here's how it ended up.

Maybe not the paint job I'd have picked for this fig, but I'm happy with how it turned out, especially the hair.

Decorus
Aug 26, 2015

Spanish Manlove posted:

It'll likely be too much to add in another color.

But one trick I like to do for cloth is consistent brush stroke direction to simulate the weft and warp of the material. It's a small nitpicking detail that no one would ever notice but adds a lot of simple authenticity to sell that the flag is made out of cloth. You have it a bit on the left side of the banner

Flag is done. I tried the brush stroke method, I'm pretty happy with it. The picture exaggerates the effect, but it's still a visibly different texture. Thanks for the tip!

Now all I have to do is paint another exact copy on the other side. That's the part that really terrifies me.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Quickly did up some very (not so) good boys from Anvil Industry for enemies in Space Station Zero:

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Decorus posted:

Flag is done. I tried the brush stroke method, I'm pretty happy with it. The picture exaggerates the effect, but it's still a visibly different texture. Thanks for the tip!

Now all I have to do is paint another exact copy on the other side. That's the part that really terrifies me.

This kicks rear end.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Decorus posted:

Hell yeah. It's such a small little thing but makes a difference.

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

Haven't felt like painting since I finished my last squad but found some free time today to try and get some work done on this Dark Apostle and was instantly happy as soon as I started, this hobby rules

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Decorus posted:

This is so cool, if I had one suggestion it'd be to maybe do a couple of very thin blue glazes to blend the highlights in!

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Lamuella posted:

I had a zenithaled gelfling type figure

I've been sitting on that same model for over a year without knowing what to do with it, looks fun

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Nazzadan posted:

Haven't felt like painting since I finished my last squad but found some free time today to try and get some work done on this Dark Apostle and was instantly happy as soon as I started, this hobby rules

This is exactly why people say to paint the face first. Nice job!

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
My daughter recently turned three and immediately decided she wanted to paint miniatures with daddy. I gave her a skeleton to paint, and she gave back this glorious monstrosity a few minutes later. In about 20 years once it has dried, I am absolutely going to incorporate it into my HeroQuest monster set.

Gelatinous Skeleton or something. No idea, but this fucker's going into the game somehow. :3:

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

You can’t fool me, that’s an AI-generated image.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
That's a Necron Flayed One if you ask me

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Not quite up to my usual standards, but at least they're mostly complete. Had some fun taking some action shots

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
I know the general advice is to just buy a bunch of cheap rear end makeup sponges but has anyone tried the Artis Opus drybrushes? Are they some measurable amount better than cheap makeup brushes? Sometimes a guy just wants to treat himself to pretty things you know...

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

Eej posted:

I know the general advice is to just buy a bunch of cheap rear end makeup sponges but has anyone tried the Artis Opus drybrushes? Are they some measurable amount better than cheap makeup brushes? Sometimes a guy just wants to treat himself to pretty things you know...

Rosemary Co makes the Artist Opus brushes from what I've seen and they have their own range of drybrushes!

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Eej posted:

They look about the same as the Army Painter ones, design-wise. I can't say for certain that they're worth $88 but the army painter ones are absolutely worth the like $20 they charge for them.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

IMO after a while I just adopted the "by it once, but it right" mentality. And life is too short, if you can afford it then treat yourself to some luxuries.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Paragon8 posted:

Rosemary Co makes the Artist Opus brushes from what I've seen and they have their own range of drybrushes!

That's why I got those drybrushes! I have bought several dollar store makeup brushes and only some of them are useful, whereas all of the rosemary drybrushes are useful

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
What do you call the shredded sponge stuff that you use to make trees and bushes? I need some, and just can't remember.

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

Flock.

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
That seems very non-specific, but I'll give it a shot.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Electric Hobo posted:

https://hugeminis.com/shop/tabletop-trees-and-scenery-supplies/foam-flock/

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Electric Hobo posted:

That's what it's called

https://woodlandscenics.woodlandscenics.com/show/item/FL635

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
This is exactly it! Thank you!
Edit: I finally remembered that it's often called clump foliage.

Electric Hobo fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Mar 20, 2023